"Troubled Times" Lyric Video

Paola17

I am incredibly proud of them. Proud as fuck. They're not at all interested in neutrality and, especially with this video, don't give a single fuck. It's just so great to know that this band, who everyone knows, who've had such success and have this kind of platform, are putting imagery of MLK and other references to POC, girls in hijabs and important historic protests and marches in a lyric video; the same video that has Trump with KKK hoods for teeth because why the fuck not.

Yes I'm fucking proud, sue me.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

I am incredibly proud of them. Proud as fuck. They're not at all interested in neutrality and, especially with this video, don't give a single fuck. It's just so great to know that this band, who everyone knows, who've had such success and have this kind of platform, are putting imagery of MLK and other references to POC, girls in hijabs and important historic protests and marches in a lyric video; the same video that has Trump with KKK hoods for teeth because why the fuck not.

Yes I'm fucking proud, sue me.

Yes, exactly. I'm not just proud of them because they "insult Trump", but because they keep saying that Green Day shows are a place for everyone, no matter what color or nationality or sexual/gender orientation, so they make sure that people believe them by letting their actions speak and by talking about these issues in every interview and doing THAT. They're using their privilege in a great way, and because they have it they can allow themselves to speak up and defend marginalized groups and have the media to a) pay attention to them and b) not tear them to shreds for it, even when "normal" people do that under their Instagram, Facebook and YouTube videos and photos.

They risk losing fans (and money and probably status) by voicing their opinions and stances in no uncertain terms, but they do it because this shit is actually really important to them. I'm proud of them for not being a band who really just wants to sell albums and make money and say they care about their fans because they have to, but because they really actually fucking care a lot, and it shows. (And I'm a little bit proud of myself too for being wise and choosing them to be my favorite band years ago. :lol:) Everyone who has a certain amount of followers knows how risky it is to let your personal opinions shine through and how much pressure there is on you to please everyone and being diplomatic. Especially with your management breathing down your neck, who would really just love you to shut up about it because it could hurt sales and cry real tears when you bring it up anyway.  (Remember this interview?)

So yeah from a human point of view what they're doing is not really brave because of their privilege but from a "famous person whose career depends on it" point of view, it really is. At least I think so. 

I'd rather be a fan of actual human beings instead of entertainment machines, where fans (of every ethnicity and orientation) don't know where they stand. They could have just done it the safest way and shut up about it, but they didn't. It's important for people with privilege to speak up and be an ally. And they're doing that and that's why I'm proud. 

5 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

IM PROUD

Your picture makes it so ambiguous :D I'M UGLY AND I'M PROUD

They mentioned the lyric video on the radio today. While they were talking about Trump of course.

Video was really well done, but this is the worst song on the record. And if you think Trump will even see this or remotely care if he does, you're crazy.

16 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Video was really well done, but this is the worst song on the record. And if you think Trump will even see this or remotely care if he does, you're crazy.

Whether he sees it is debatable I agree, but come on. Have you read any of his tweets? Now there's a special snowflake.

I agree, the song is probably my least favorite on this record but the video is the best of all. 

9 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

Whether he sees it is debatable I agree, but come on. Have you read any of his tweets? Now there's a special snowflake.

He didn't react to the AMAs chant either, mind you. But yes, IF this video becomes really viral, if everyone talks about it and IF he sees it then, he will be pretty mad and probably tell everyone how overrated Green Day is. This video would have to be HUGE in order for him to react to this. If he reacted to this without anybody even knowing that this video existed, he would draw attention to it and as much of an idiot as he is, he's not gonna do that. 

Just now, Clayish said:

Imagine thinking this video will have any impact whatsoever. This isn't 2004.

If it were to have a political impact, it should have been released on Thursday the 19th. Undoubtedly the interpretation was changed after Trump's victory. Before the lyric video, it was a song about the general gloom and doom of 2016. Say Goodbye has always been the most overtly political track on RevRad.

1 hour ago, Clayish said:

Probably the worst song on the new record

Disagree, Youngblood is worse. I see where you're coming from, but lyrically it isn't the worst of the record.

That video was amazing! I'll have to watch it again to see everything, but for a first viewing I was very impressed and very proud of them! The fact that they released it on MLK Day too was a real statement! Good for them I say! 

I'll bet my good looks the vid gets taken down by the powers that be.  And I'm FUCKING handsome.  Otherwise, great vid, got a little chub, handled it (get it? ya ya ya) and now it's come, ahem, to end this post.

For the sake of conversation, I guess I almost agree. Hard to say which song I like least on RevRad, this or Outlaws.

Nothing new really to contribute but this is by far the best of the lyric videos, and nothing makes me happier than when people I like trash Trump, especially so artistically like this

I don't get why so many people keep bashing the song, I think it's great and even one of the best on RevRad. I love the threatening, almost apocalyptic atmosphere and the way the song is rolling. The chorus might be repetetive, but I think this song doesn't need too many words because it produces lots of pictures in your head through emotions. The moment when Billie sings "We run for cover" gives me the chills. And the atmosphere of the song is perfectly captured in the video.

I don't care if Trump watches it or not or if anyone else cares; I care, it's a great message and I'm proud to be a GD fan :)

17 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

I don't get why so many people keep bashing the song, I think it's great and even one of the best on RevRad. I love the threatening, almost apocalyptic atmosphere and the way the song is rolling. The chorus might be repetetive, but I think this song doesn't need too many words because it produces lots of pictures in your head through emotions. The moment when Billie sings "We run for cover" gives me the chills. And the atmosphere of the song is perfectly captured in the video.

I don't care if Trump watches it or not or if anyone else cares; I care, it's a great message and I'm proud to be a GD fan :)

I couldn't agree more.  It was my first love on the album.  

19 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

It's just too repetitive for me and I think the chorus is pretty meh

This is now the #1 trending video on YouTube. They have a hard time keeping an accurate count on trending videos don't they? The view count is much lower than what I think it actually is considering it's the #1 video. 

This video is my favourite of all the lyric videos. SO GOOD! :D

On 16/01/2017 at 3:15 PM, End Of The World said:

So glad. Troubled Times absolutely deserved (at least) a lyric video. I love the collages and the GD logo when it says "comes without warning". :lol:

YES. The Warning part makes me laugh a bit every time :P

27 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

This is now the #1 trending video on YouTube. They have a hard time keeping an accurate count on trending videos don't they? The view count is much lower than what I think it actually is considering it's the #1 video. 

I wish I could see it trend but German trends are always stupid YouTubers doing stupid clickbait shit, no interesting videos whatsoever. I wish I could change my "position" somehow.

Let's see...

• Revolution Radio was the best they could release after an insuccess. Something between the epicness of American Idiot and the unlucky Trilogy;
  • All these meaningful and fun lyric videos are making my life better, especially this one;
  • Still Breathing was pure perfection;
  • This band is playing from 1986. 30 years;
  • They litterally changed my life, in any way.

Yeah, I agree. I'm fucking proud of GREEN DAY.

Archived