"Troubled Times" Lyric Video

Paola17

Apparently the director is from a town very near mine, this is so cool! The video is amazing and it's incredible that it's gaining so many views :dance:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, crock6000 said:

It won't only be played live, it will be a staple.  This tour's theme will be about revolution, and this time real revolution if Trump stays in office. Read about the Astonian (former Russian hotel) to see some  scary shit.

Putin has something on Trump from 2013. I can almost promise it. We're fucked if he stays. Fucking liberals need to stop watching and mobilize. I'm 42 and this shit ain't never happened. This is the time for real revolution or there will be a changing of the guard.

He alienating and trash talking our intel and NATO and prisons Putin and other dictators and has zero qualms about it. Only hope is that Republicans don't want another world war. I predict more exits from the EU and the degradation of NATO and if that happens, say goodbye to the general Western peace that has existed since the end of WW2.

Trump isn't THE reason, he's one of them. Our world is changing. Talk to people that travel the world.

Yep, right wing politics is on the rise

I've said that Troubled Times would be a great single and the views the lyric video is getting confirms this. For a non-single, non-promoted lyric video, its current YouTube views (950k) is very impressive after 2 days. I can't remember but I don't think the other lyric videos released after the album were gaining views this quickly

Love the video :D

I wonder how the lyric video would have looked like if Trump wasn't voted for president.

3 minutes ago, M0n3y said:

I wonder how the lyric video would have looked like if Trump wasn't voted for president.

There probably wouldn't have been one

Troubled Times took 2 days to reach 1M (almost done it). Say Goodbye, Ordinary World and Youngblood took a week or so. It's like GD are in a videogame and they got the x3.5 multiplier for this video... :lol:

I think this video might be GD's most disliked music video. It has more dislikes than Kill the DJ which I believe was their most disliked before. It doesn't matter though because they're just butt-hurt Trump supporters

One of the best ones yet from RevRad era! Good use of platform to put the message out. It's even created a stir, as someone commented on a post about the video saying they are not going to support Green Day or buy their merch anymore. :lol:

On 1/16/2017 at 10:25 AM, Second favourite son said:

Well nobody can accuse them of beating around the bush politically now!  Great song, great video, and I think it's going to grow on me even more as I rewatch and pick out every tiny detail.

I'd put it more to YouTube putting it on their trending page when it had 200,000 views. This is my favorite song but views are a tough way to tell if something got traction with people naturally

21 hours ago, M0n3y said:

20 hours ago, JoeFrusciante said:

There probably wouldn't have been one

The video was actually started before he won and it wasn't going to be Trump-oriented until after. 

Some interesting pieces from the director from these sites: 1, 2, 3

Since October 17, the producer from A Coruña Manu Viqueira hasn't ceased to be amazed. Nor to work. That day, ten impressive lines arrived to his email box. They were signed by Devin Sarno, supervisor musician who is Warner Bros' boss of video clips. Would you be interested in making Green Day's next video? They did not know each other, Viqueira had never contacted him, he hadn't sent him any of his work. His creations posted on Vimeo (a network like YouTube for professionals) captured the attention of a guru in Los Angeles who has worked with Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Linkin Park, Smashing Pumpkins...

Manu Viqueira works for the TV and for commercials and now can boast about being the director, producer and screenwriter for Green Day's video. David Rodriguez Simón took care of the texts and the graphics. "A few months ago I received an email from Devin Sarno, who presented himself as the head of video clips for Warner and was interested in my work. I couldn't believe it. I looked him up on Linkedin and saw he existed. He added me to his Vimeo profile and I slowly realized he was serious".

How did they get to him? Suporting talent. Devin Sarno stated in an interview that he usually "surfs in people's likes". Manu Viqueira had "liked" several videos of an American director, Chris Curtis, who ended up directing a piece for Green Day. Curtis returned the "like" and this was the track that the head of Warner followed. He was looking for a style just as the one of Viqueira: animated collages, photographs and illustration. A "more is more," defines the director, which fits with what he and the group had planned to do for the single Troubled Times. "It's what I've been doing for ten years, what happens is that now ... I did it for Green Day!" 

At first the song was about the nonsense of wars and in the end they changed the subject a little because of Trump's victory. They decided to address more civil rights and the problems that American society faces", he explains. He and David got down to work and did what they know best, assemble images, visual collage, attach messages... for two months. "They gave me total freedom. The truth is that it was a pleasure to work with them. I had never done it for Los Angeles".

Sarno was so convinced that he wanted him to do the job that, despite thinking of a quick production, he let Manu Viqueira enjoy a sort of planned honeymoon in the Philippines. The weeks before Viqueira took the plane, he hardly slept to send them a part of the work. But that work remained in a drawer.

Didn't they like it? Quite the opposite, only that the circumstances had changed. "Actually the song was related to the Bataclan and they asked me for a videoclip about war ... but Trump won," he tells. Thus, the intuition that the electoral result would affect the order, that he already had when he found out about the results at a Philippine airport, got confirmed when he returned. Billie Joe Amstrong's band decided that this chance couldn't be missed: "the theme changed to civil rights, suffragists and Trump's victory." Now to start over.

"Do you see yourself prepared?" Sarno asked when he told him about the sudden change of plans. It was his turn to talk about another country, another story ... He thought about it. "I feel identified with strange voting" (Idk what he means) he concluded. So it was his time to study, to see movies, to read ... and to put himself in front of the computer. By his side on the process was David Rodriguez Simón, his "spiritual guide." Viqueira was in charge of the direction, the effects, the animation and the script; And Rodriguez, also an illustrator, collaborated with the design and composition.

For the final result it helped, he acknowledges, that he found "total freedom" to direct, something else to add to the list of surprises in his story. "I have worked here and they have given me thousands of indications, for Green Day they saw something they liked and left it in my hands," he says. It is a very good thing, he considers, but also "that puts pressure on you," a "feeling in the stomach" that has not yet gone.

"And it freaked them out!" He laughed again, still nervous. He took the job so seriously that, instead of sending them a sketch, he sent them a minute and a half. It was four in the morning and he couldn't wait. So he took the bike - he rolls at night - and went to the Tower. Under its light he saw on his cell phone an email from Los Angeles from the producer and the band, one of the most important in his life: Best I've seen all year. Thank you so much. "

This work, made in collaboration with David Rodriguez Simón, was released yesterday, on the day of Martin Luther King, according to express wish of the band.

Yesterday, shortly before the premiere, the video had already been reproduced thousands of times and the comments on the content of the work are multiplying in social media. "It's killing it, it's incredible. We're a bit overwhelmed and in the US it's still early [the release time was four in the afternoon Spanish time], you'll see when more people see it, "celebrated Manu, who allowed himself the treat of including his image and David's in a few stills.

3 hours ago, Eric said:

Song is boring, but cool video :D

The song needed a cool video. It's dark as expected, though more American-centric than I assumed. Then again, lyrically Troubled Times is a very generic track and it needs a good video to give it a concrete meaning.

It's pretty cool. I like it. I'm getting really sick of lyric videos, though. I mean I understand why they do it, it makes perfect sense financially, but if you're gonna make a video make a fucking video.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

It's pretty cool. I like it. I'm getting really sick of lyric videos, though. I mean I understand why they do it, it makes perfect sense financially, but if you're gonna make a video make a fucking video.

I think the lyric videos are amazing, but for that reason it's confusing people because they're so good they're basically proper music videos. They're still playing the Bang Bang lyric video instead of the official one. It's splitting the views between the videos which lessens the impact a bit. 

15 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

I think the lyric videos are amazing, but for that reason it's confusing people because they're so good they're basically proper music videos. They're still playing the Bang Bang lyric video instead of the official one. It's splitting the views between the videos which lessens the impact a bit. 

Yeah, in fact when I count the views of their new singles I sum up the views of both lyric and music video:

- Bang Bang: 11.8 + 3.3 = 15.1M

- Still Breathing: 9.1 + 5.1 = 14.2M

:)

10 hours ago, crock6000 said:

That is because at least half the country is full of stupid fucking idiots that don't know what they are doing to world security.  I don't have a problem saying it anymore.

If someone endangers my daughter, why should I not have a right to be angry about it?

It doesn't mean I don't have empathy for the reasons that lead them there but still they are there and they brought me with them to this fucked up place.  Fuck you for voting for Trump is what I say to anyone that did. That wasn't aimed at an individual and since it's also the theme to the video, I think it's fair, or ban me, don't care.

Atta boy, or girl, whatever.

Wasn't by accident.

I hadn't thought about that.  They could have actually made the video more powerful even still by including Brexit, Greece, Isis, and shit but they are feeling (Billie) Trump more than anything.

The whole world is fucked right now.  

My whole life I have wondered what it would feel like to see something like the precursor to what a world war would look like and always thought I would see it in my lifetime and it sort of feels like that is happening.

Including all the events/themes you named would have been difficult for a song with a three and half minute run time. It was better to focus on one thing in depth instead of cramming it all in on a more superficial level. Taking the former approach allowed them to give the song a more concrete meaning.

@crock6000, I've said it before but in case you missed that post: no, nobody really cares about the view count in the grand scheme of things. It's just a natural instinct to want them to do as well as they possibly can (which, yes, includes YT view counts.) it's why we analyse chart positions and trending topics too. I don't think anyone here believes GD need it (except the trolls perhaps) but it's just something to talk about on the forum.

When I said 'lessen the impact' it just means that with songs that have an amazing lyric video and a decent music video, the views are split so neither video will get the amount of views it could have done. So tbh it doesn't even apply to Troubled Times at the moment! :P 

It's so stupid that people are defending their choice of voting for Trump by saying "Well he's not as bad as Clinton"

1. First of all, he is worse. Most people saying that Clinton is worse are just them trying to make themselves feel better for voting for Trump when really they are assholes trying to kid themselves into thinking they've made the right choice. Honestly, most of these people probably would've voted for Trump anyway, even if it was a different candidate instead of Clinton

2. Secondly, there were other choices to vote for other than Clinton and Trump. Many people might have thought that it was a "wasted vote" because they realistically wouldn't be elected but I'd respect somebody who voted for an alternative candidate or that didn't vote at all than somebody that voted for Trump

1 hour ago, crock6000 said:

It's best not to pay attention to posts that are after 2am PST. It's usually punchy shit while I'm reading the forum between renders. :)

I've written long posts but dude, homey, bruh,  the attention span of almost everyone on here is about a minute....chill with your manifesto posts and write a mother fucking STRONG two sentences. 

Archived