Updated: Green Day win "Rock Song of the Year" at iHeart Radio Music Award

Forever Now

Looks like Green Day have been nominated for "Rock Song of the Year" for "Bang Bang" at The 2017 iHeartRadio Music Awards! 

Rock Song of the Year:

"Bang Bang" - Green Day
"Dark Necessities" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Take Me Down" – The Pretty Reckless
"The Devil's Bleeding Crown" – Volbeat
"The Sound Of Silence" - Disturbed

http://news.iheart.com/features/iheartradio-music-awards-15/articles/15/490103/drake-the-chainsmokers-more-nominated-for-15435573/

Update 3/5: Green Day won "Rock Song of the Year http://www.greendayauthority.com/news/5651/ 

Posts about their win start here in the topic

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they win! But they should be nominated for "Best Duo/Group of the Year" too

I've split this into it's own topic since it's a pretty big piece of news!  Definitely a deserved nomination, I'll be surprised if they don't win.

2 minutes ago, MaraGreenDay said:

I hope they win! But they should be nominated for "Best Duo/Group of the Year" too

Totally agree, but as a rock band it was always going to be hard for them.

3 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

Don't kill me but Dark Necessities should win it. I think it was the best song of 2016. 

It would be second on my list, with Bang Bang a clear 1st.  It's just such a generic sounding RHCP song (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and I find it a bit slow and boring, certainly compared to the pace and energy of Bang Bang.

So where can we vote? Or is the winner chosen by some critics?

And I just noticed this. "Nominees and winners were determined by iHeartMedia, Inc. based on industry data from Mediabase and BigChampagne, fan feedback and guidance from experts, including iHeartRadio programmers from multiple radio formats." :D 

6 minutes ago, Joe K said:

So where can we vote? Or is the winner chosen by some critics?

And I just noticed this. "Nominees and winners were determined by iHeartMedia, Inc. based on industry data from Mediabase and BigChampagne, fan feedback and guidance from experts, including iHeartRadio programmers from multiple radio formats." :D 

It looks like this category is decided by iHeart, and some of others are decided by 'social vote'.  But the big ones are all decided by them - which is how it should be, otherwise it's literally just a popularity contest.

Just now, Second favourite son said:

It looks like this category is decided by iHeart, and some of others are decided by 'social vote'.  But the big ones are all decided by them - which is how it should be, otherwise it's literally just a popularity contest.

Yup.

The Sound of Silence is by far the best on this list and the rest are shit.

I seriously could get a hard on over the fact that twenty one pilots aren't nominated for best rock song

I actually  gasped when I saw them on the list earlier today. Then wondered who'd open the thread for this on GDC. :P

Maybe it's just me, but judging from the nominations alone, it looks like they want to give it to Green Day. This list makes it seem like a no-brainer. 

Wow, I just realized they have an "Alt-Rock Song of the Year" AND a "Rock Song of the Year" category, and RHCP are nominated in both for the same song. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why they would even consider a cover for Rock Song of the Year.  It's about as silly as a band deciding to cover a Simon and Garfunkel song in the first place. You can't improve on the original, so leave it alone.

Bang Bang is the only good song on that list IMO. Sorry but Dark Necessities sucks. All RHCP songs sound the same. 

35 minutes ago, Amanda said:

I don't understand why they would even consider a cover for Rock Song of the Year.  It's about as silly as a band deciding to cover a Simon and Garfunkel song in the first place. You can't improve on the original, so leave it alone.

The original is so shit compared to Disturbed. This is how a cover beats the original.

I want Green Day to win it! Somebody else will though I'm sure. Fingers crossed anyways.

4 hours ago, Jake69 said:

Don't kill me but Dark Necessities should win it. I think it was the best song of 2016. 

Its a great song - in the top 3 for the year.  I prefer Bang Bang but I think Dark Necessities will win.

I think they have a great chance (the best chance, I think!) of winning it, but if it's a public vote, it'll just be a popularity contest like @Second favourite son pointed out earlier in the thread 

44 minutes ago, bouncingoffthewallbja said:

I think they have a great chance (the best chance, I think!) of winning it, but if it's a public vote, it'll just be a popularity contest like @Second favourite son pointed out earlier in the thread 

Thankfully it looks like this isn't a 'fan-voting' category, which is likely a good thing for Green Day.

1 minute ago, Second favourite son said:

Thankfully it looks like this isn't a 'fan-voting' category, which is likely a good thing for Green Day.

That's great to hear! I think a lot of us here on GDC lost faith in public voting when GD lost out to TØP in a Best Rock category last year :lol:

7 minutes ago, bouncingoffthewallbja said:

That's great to hear! I think a lot of us here on GDC lost faith in public voting when GD lost out to TØP in a Best Rock category last year :lol:

Well they deserved it :P

12 minutes ago, Eric said:

Well they deserved it :P

I knew someone was going to reply like this!! :D

In terms of TØP, I don't mind Lane Boy and Heathens! 

• Fuzz changed the title to Updated: Green Day win "Rock Song of the Year" at iHeart Radio Music Award

Archived