I lose myself and I'm all wound up
Loss of control and I'm all wound up
I'm on attack and I'm all wound up
I lose myself and I'm all wound up

;)

I'll take that million whenever you're ready :lol:

FTFY

There's a few mistakes in those lyrics. You've just lost that million

The lyrics are really hard to understand in that song, though. But the chorus is slightly different every time

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

FTFY

There's a few mistakes in those lyrics. You've just lost that million

The lyrics are really hard to understand in that song, though. But the chorus is slightly different every time

I copy and pasted. Wasn't arsed actually writing them. I find him easy to understand!! Maybe because I've listened 500000000 times at this point. 

I think some of the lyrics in the chorus are debatable since they're very hard to make out and aren't included in the lyric booklet so they can't be confirmed. I know the ones that can be read or heard though :P 

I've already ranked the albums from favourite to least favourite earlier in this thread, but I see that a few people here have done their top 3 songs on each album so I will do mine

39/Smooth- At the Library, Don't Leave Me, Going to Pasalacqua

Kerplunk- 2000 Light Years Away, Welcome to Paradise, Christie Road

Dookie- Having a Blast, Basketcase, When I Come Around

Insomniac- Armatage Shanks, Brain Stew, Walking Contradiction

Nimrod- Nice Guys Finish Last, Scattered, Prosthetic Head

Warning- Church on Sunday, Minority, Macy's Day Parade  

American Idiot- Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Letterbomb, Whatsername

21st Century Breakdown- Viva La Gloria, East Jesus Nowhere, The Static Age

Uno- Nuclear Family, Let Yourself Go, Oh Love

Dos- Stop When the Red Lights Flash, Wild One, Stray Heart

Tre- Brutal Love, X-Kid, 99 Revolutions

Revolution Radio- Bang Bang, Still Breathing, Forever Now

Copied and pasted my old post and added Dookie, since I forgot it.

Here is my list. It changes a little bit despite the first two albums and two last albums. I wrote my reason for liking the album and placing it where I did, and then the bolded is my favourite song on that album.

1. Nimrod (because a lot of the songs on that album express feelings I had trouble trying to explain, ex. Scattered) Reject

2. Kerplunk (I don't know why, but this album always reminds me of good memories, simplicity, and relaxes me) Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?

3. Insomniac (I love the energy and originality of that album) Armatage Shanks

4. 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours (this was an album I really relate to, and influenced me a lot when I was a teenager) Green Day

5. 21st Century Breakdown + Warning are tied (21st Century because I got to see Green Day during this tour, and I feel like that was the best time to ever see them live and the music they played was amazing. Warning because I like how it sounds different from every album) Last Night on Earth and Fashion Victim

6. American Idiot (despite it being so relatable and impacting to me, it is my least listened to album...my favourite song is on this album and I listen to it every day, but not so much the other songs besides maybe Jesus of Suburbia) Give me Novacaine

7. Revolution Radio (I actually wanted to place this album a little bit higher. I feel like it is a genuine album and expresses a lot of raw emotion despite what some people might think; that they are trying to stay relevant or whatever). Bouncing off the Wall and Still Breathing

8. Dookie (I do like it a lot, but I barely listen to it and I think it is over rated compared to an album like Warning, which has better songs in my opinion) Coming Clean

9. Dos (I don't even know why everyone thinks it is the worse of the trilogy; the songs are the most upbeat...if it didn't have Nightlife it'd be such a better album) Wild One

10. Uno (I like some of the songs and the lyrics are okay, some of them are cheesy though) Fell for You

11. Tre (I only like two songs on this album and I truly cannot stand Little Boy Named Train because the lyrics are too cringeworthy) Brutal Love

12 hours ago, BetterThanAir said:

Copied and pasted my old post and added Dookie, since I forgot it.

Here is my list. It changes a little bit despite the first two albums and two last albums. I wrote my reason for liking the album and placing it where I did, and then the bolded is my favourite song on that album.

1. Nimrod (because a lot of the songs on that album express feelings I had trouble trying to explain, ex. Scattered) Reject

2. Kerplunk (I don't know why, but this album always reminds me of good memories, simplicity, and relaxes me) Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?

3. Insomniac (I love the energy and originality of that album) Armatage Shanks

4. 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours (this was an album I really relate to, and influenced me a lot when I was a teenager) Green Day

5. 21st Century Breakdown + Warning are tied (21st Century because I got to see Green Day during this tour, and I feel like that was the best time to ever see them live and the music they played was amazing. Warning because I like how it sounds different from every album) Last Night on Earth and Fashion Victim

6. American Idiot (despite it being so relatable and impacting to me, it is my least listened to album...my favourite song is on this album and I listen to it every day, but not so much the other songs besides maybe Jesus of Suburbia) Give me Novacaine

7. Revolution Radio (I actually wanted to place this album a little bit higher. I feel like it is a genuine album and expresses a lot of raw emotion despite what some people might think; that they are trying to stay relevant or whatever). Bouncing off the Wall and Still Breathing

8. Dookie (I do like it a lot, but I barely listen to it and I think it is over rated compared to an album like Warning, which has better songs in my opinion) Coming Clean

9. Dos (I don't even know why everyone thinks it is the worse of the trilogy; the songs are the most upbeat...if it didn't have Nightlife it'd be such a better album) Wild One

10. Uno (I like some of the songs and the lyrics are okay, some of them are cheesy though) Fell for You

11. Tre (I only like two songs on this album and I truly cannot stand Little Boy Named Train because the lyrics are too cringeworthy) Brutal Love

Finally, somebody who agrees that Dookie is kind of overrated. :D

20 hours ago, BetterThanAir said:

Mimi don't do this to me :(:( 

15 hours ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Dookie is the shit:mad:

8 hours ago, Tinkle said:

Dookie is the shit:mad:

Don't get me wrong, I love Dookie, I really do. I just feel that some people overlook some excellent songs on their other albums, purely because Dookie is the most successful. :(

1. American Idiot (Whatsername)

2. 21st Century Breakdown (Last Night On Earth)

3. Revolution Radio (Outlaws)

4. Dookie (Longview)

5. Nimrod (Hitchin' A Ride)

6. Insomniac (Brain Stew)

7. Uno (Kill The DJ)

8. Tré (Missing You)

9. Dos (Fuck Time)

10. Warning (Minority)

11. Kerplunk (No One Knows)

12. 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours (Dry Ice)

My list....

12. Warning 2/10 (ugh) 

11. 39 5/10

10. Kerplunk 5/10

9. Insomniac 6/10

8. Nimrod 7/10

7. Rev Rad 7/10

6. Dookie 8/10

5. Uno 8.5/10

4. Tre 9/10

3. Dos 9/10 (yes I also love Nightlife)

2. 21st CB 9.5/10

1. American idiot 10/10

Again...my list not yours

28 minutes ago, Nathan2521 said:

My list....

12. Warning 2/10 (ugh)

Don't understand the hate for Warning =/ 

This is my list

1. Warning

2. Nimrod

3. American Idiot

4. Revolution Radio

5. 21st Century breakdown

6. Dookie

7. Kerplunk

8. Dos

9. Insomniac

10. Uno

11. Tré

12. 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

Top 3 from each:

1. Dookie - Burnout, Welcome To Paradise, Having A Blast (so hard)

2. Insomniac - Armatage Shanks, Stuck With Me, Stuart And The Ave.

3. Warning - Castaway, Hold On, Fashion Victim

4. American Idiot - Jesus Of Suburbia, Give Me Novacaine, Homecoming

5. Nimrod - Scattered, The Grouch, Jinx

6. Revolution Radio - Revolution Radio, Forever Now, Ordinary World (that's right I said it)

7. Kerplunk - Christie Road, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?, Android

8. 21st Century Breakdown - East Jesus Nowhere, Peacemaker, Restless Heart Syndrome

9. Tre - Brutal Love, X-Kid, 8th Avenue Serenade

10. Uno - Nuclear Family, Rusty James, Oh Love

11. Dos - Lazy Bones, Stray Heart, Fuck Time

12. 39/Smooth - Going To Pasalaqua, Green Day, 16, At The Library With Waba Se Wasca (4)

1. American Idiot - their magnum opus, fantastic from beginning to end. Highlights are Letterbomb, Whatsername, BOBD, Give me Novocaine.

2. Uno - such a great throwback to the 90s. I think this album would have been better received if it was released by itself without the other 2 albums. Highlights are Stay the Night, Let Yourself Go, Kill the DJ.

3. Nimrod - only just recently discovered how good this album is. Some great songs with easy to relate to lyrics. Highlights are Worry Rock, Redundant, Good Riddance.

4. Revolution Radio - I like most of the songs on the album but there's a couple forgettable tracks, especially Youngblood. Highlights are Bang Bang, Forever Now, Still Breathing.

5. 21st Century Breakdown - I was probably at the peak of being a fan when this one came out and loved it when it was initially released. However it's not an album I'll play just for one song, you kind of have to listen to it from beginning to end. Highlights are 21 Guns, Viva la Gloria.

6. Warning - see reason for liking Nimrod only without as many memorable songs. Highlights are Fashion Victim, Warning, Waiting.

7. Dos - Pretty good rock n roll album let down by a few forgettable tracks. Highlights are Stray Heart, Fuck Time, Lazy Bones.

8. Dookie - see reason for Dos. Highlights are Burnout, Chump, Basket Case.

9. Tre - weakest album from the trilogy. Unlike Uno and Dos, it lacks any real identity and comes across more like a b-sides album. Missing You and X-Kid are great, most of the rest is disposable.

10. Insomniac - never really got into this album lyrically. I should give it another spin since it's been a while since I've listened to it.

11. 39/Smooth - only like Going to Pasalacqua and Paper Lanterns.

12. Kerplunk - only like 2000 Light Years Away.

Glad I made this thread, very fun to hear everyones vastly different opinions and rankings! Just never gets old to me.

1A. Dookie - This is the album that got me into this band.  Listening to this album brings back good memories (Love all the songs) 

1B. American Idiot - This album got me excited about the band all over again.  I felt the same way about this album as I did Dookie - amazing from front to back (and the subject matter was more grown up compared to Dookie, just like I was) - (Jesus of Suburbia, Homecoming, Whatsername)

3. Nimrod - So many hidden gems in this album that doesn't get the recognition it deserves.  This is the album the band stepped their music up lyrically.  Also the album that helped them stay in the mainstream/relevant with Good Riddance (Redundant, Worry Rock, Haushinka)

4. Kerplunk - Like Nimrod, this album gets so overlooked because of the success the band got so much later in their career (One for the razorbacks, Android, One of My Lies)

5. Warning - This album took me a couple years to appreciate how good it is.  Listening to it you slowly realize how much the band grew and evolved with their sound and identity (Castaway, Fashion Victim, Church on Sunday)

6. Insomniac - Non-stop aggression from start to finish (Stuart and the Ave, 86, Westbound Sign) 

7. Revolution Radio - Hasn't been out long enough for me yet.  Quality album, but I enjoy other albums more at the moment (Forever Now, Outlaws, Too Dumb to Die)

8. 21stCB - To me, this is American Idiot on steroids (Viva la Gloria!, Murder City, Static Age, 21stCB)

9. 39/Smooth - Has some amazing tracks on this album, but a lot of filler in my opinion too (I was there, Dry Ice, Judges Daughter, Road to Acceptance)

10. Tre! - Best album of the trilogy era, which to me felt like a bunch of b-sides (Dirty Rotten Bastards, X-Kid, 99 Revolutions)

11. Dos! - I enjoyed this album more than Uno! (Lazy Bones, Baby Eyes, Stray Heart)

12. Uno! - Too poppy for me.  Has a couple good tracks, but overall not much of a fan (Rusty James, Loss of Control, Stay the Night) 

Love your ranking, very close to mine, with few differences.

• 1 month later...

Mine is

21 Century Breakdown

Revolution Radio

Shenanigans

Tre

Nimrod

Warning

Dookie 

39/smooth

Kerplunk

Insomniac

Dos

Uno

Notes: I like the new rock green day because i can relate that much to the lyrics nowadays

On April 14, 2017 at 0:18 AM, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Dookie and American Idiot for me is not overrated just overplayed (its my fault replaying She and When I Come Around)

On 4/9/2017 at 10:51 PM, Gwen Stacy said:

Wall o' text inboud:

1. American Idiot - I think there's a reason that this was the album that revitalized Green Day's career. If they had put out an exact clone of Dookie, it wouldn't have done for them what this album did. It's all here. This is the album that brought concept albums back into the mainstream. It's not too attached to the characters and story like Tommy, so it's loose and interpretive enough that each song stands on it's own. It's got fast rock numbers like the title track, St. Jimmy, and Letterbomb, long epics such as Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming, and ballads like Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Wake Me Up When September Ends. I remember when this album came out and everyone was obsessed with it. It captured the spirit of young people at the time with both its political and personal message. Apart from being a fan this might be the defining rock album of the first decade of the 21st century. Like Band on the Run, it's not too long, it's perfect the way it is. I don't have a criticism to level against this album and most who do are attacking Green Day's image itself rather than the music as a work of art. The cover is iconic, the music is amazingly produced, it's both timely and timeles. Real lightning in a bottle here folks.

2. 21st Century Breakdown - Remember what I said about American Idiot not overstaying it's welcome? Sadly, the same cannot be said of 21st Century Breakdown. I think the idea behind this album was "American Idiot, but bigger", and I think that ended up working against it. Sadly, there's a little bit of Insomniac syndrome going on here. Dings out of the way, let's get on to the raving. Full disclosure, this was the first Green Day album I heard front to back and the one that made me a fan so my ability to be objective about it is limited. That being said, if I had to describe this album in one word, it would be epic. Whereas American Idiot was a narrative driven by a person, the drive in 21st Century Breakdown is really the socio-politcal backdrop that Christian and Gloria find themselves in. We aren't even introduced to the characters until the fourth song with the title song being a grandiose statement about the state of the country and the third being a political rallying cry. The narrative is looser than in American Idiot and this I think works in the album's favor as the listener is made to use their imagination more to fill in the story. Lazier? Some might say, but the end result is a more personal attachment with the story. Butch Vig as producer was an excellent move with all elements production feeling balanced, and nothing really getting lost in the mix. My only gripe here is that it sounds too digital. Throw this on a turntable after listening to Fleetwood Mac's Rumors and this album feels positively flat by comparison. Additionally, the album could really stand to cut the fat. I know they were going for "bigger" after American Idiot, but songs like Viva La Gloria (Little Girl) and See The Light could have been left on the cutting room floor and the album would have been the better for it. While it doesn't reach the same highs that American Idiot does, when you're drawing from the same well, it's hard to go wrong. Sadly overshadowed by it's predecessor and held back by it's safe single choices, if you haven't listened to this album in full lately, give it another chance.

3. Dookie - Similar to how American Idiot revitalized Green Day's career for a reason, this album broke Green Day out for a reason. I think I heard Cavallo say that he had a hard time choosing singles from this album becuase they all were candidates and it shows. If there were ever a template for pop-punk (if there even is such a thing) this is it. Each song is quick, packs a punch, and stays with you. This album perfectly encapsulates that late teens/early twenties angst of being held back by your past and being crushed under the expectations of your future and saying "fuck you" to it all. Burnout was an amazing pick to start the album "I declare I don't care no more"; was any album so perfecty encapsulated by it's opening lines? Maybe Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols, which is in similar punk status. This album is hit after hit and I could devote a paragraph to each song, but I won't here to save space. If there's any valid criticism to be had it's that some songs sound a little same-y; but when they're all classics, it's hard to go wrong. It's a classic album for a damn good reason.

4. Revolution Radio - For such a high ranking Green Day album, this one went a little under the radar. So why put it up this high? If someone were to ask me to distill Green Day into just one album, it would sound most like this. There's personal songs, there's pump-ass songs, there's reflective ballads, there's epic songs, there's straight up fun songs, this album encapsualtes Green Day's career perfectly. Bang Bang is a song right in the tradition of the best of punk, political and kick-ass. Forever Now is an epic in the mold of the song 21st Century Breakdown and Jesus of Suburbia without trying too hard to imitate the latter. Outlaws is an elegaic reflection on the band as a whole. And someone put Bouncing Off The Wall on and I dare you not to dance. The mixing is back were it should be after the flatness of the trilogy, and the whole album is a return to form. If coffee was the only substance fueling this album, I say drink up boys!

5. Kerplunk - When anyone says that they don't like that Green Day got political or took a stand on social issues, I make them listen to One Of My Lies. As early as 1992 Billie Joe was questioning religion, and while this might not have been such a big deal at Gilman, one can draw a direct line from that sone to something like East Jesus Nowhere. This was the band really finding their footing and man alive did they find it. The album kicks off with a musical punch in the face that is 2000 Light Years Away. At 12 songs (yes 12, the Sweet Children EP that was tacked on the end of the album on the CD version does. not. count.) this album knows just how far it needs to go and what limits to push. Each song is ahead of it's time. 80 is amazingly introspective, Christie Road is an anthem for every kid that's ever been bored in suburbia, and Words I Might Have Ate is a bold choice to end the album on. The first Green Day song to feature acoustic guitar on a punk record shows the band's willingness to push boundaries, even at a formative stage. The lo-fi aethstetic that would be called back to on Stop, Drop, and Roll is in full and un-ironic display here and it works in the record's favor. If there ever was a classic "indie punk" record that could be appealing to the masses this was it; and that's an achivement.

6. Nimrod - This record was initally concieved as a double album and it shows. You know what you do when the formula gets stale? Experiment! And man alive did they experiment. This album is all sorts of all over the place and that is the record's charm. It goes from the straight up fast paced punk that they were known for at the time (Nice Guys Finish Last, Platypus, Jinx) to surpisingly emotionally mature (Redundant, Good Riddance), and everwhere in between. For Doctor Who fans, you know that scene in the episode The Eleventh Hour where the Doctor is trying on all sorts of different outfits to see which one suits him? That's what this album feels like. Let's try on a bunch of diffferent hats and have fun with it! The record is fun for sure, but behind the scrim of experimental joy, there's darkeness too. This is a complicated, emotionally mature record and I think it was exactly what the band needed. Did it reach the sales highs of Dookie? No. But does it stand on it's own as a piece of art years later? Oh yeah. Consistent? Lol. Interesting? Yas. If you like your Green Day scatttered (see what I did there?) then this is the record for you.

7. Insomniac - If you like the bass guitar or are a fan of Mike Dirnt, then this is the Green Day record for you. In terms of pure mixing, this is my favorite record. Put on a pair of nice headphones and you'll hear what I'm talking about. Fat FAT bass to line the outer edges of the soundscape, powerful drums at the bottom, and edgey guitars and vocals to fill the rest. People say the vocals get lost in the mix, but on the right equipment, it plays like a dream. At this point in time the band was still reeling from the overwhelming sucess of Dookie and putting out a record in such short time as a reaction shows its faults. While there are amazing songs dealing with that such as 86, this album is no stranger to filler. If anyonce can convincingly even tell me what Billie is saying on Babs Uvula Who? much less analyze it, I'll give you a million dollars. That being said, there are still some classics on this album so it's clear a little bit of the Dookie magic still lingered in the air. Combine that with some cranked up bass, and you've got a solid album.

8. Warning - This is grown up Green Day but without the edge and the focus that made them popular in the first place. This is a good album that just seems to lack a punch. Good tracks abound from Castaway, to Hold On. But the album doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. Grown up? Well we've got Church on Sunday, Fashion Victim, and Macy's Day Parade. Old immature youngsters? Blood, Sex, and Booze and Jackass. Somewhere in the middle? Well, that's where this album lies. Unlike Nimrod that had the larger tracklist to denotate experimentation and the advantage of the first time to be doing it to work in it's favor. Again Warning isn't bad; it's just unfocused. The album cover itself seems to express this with the band walking around. Where? Who knows? It would take four more years and a scrapped album in the interem for the band to find their direction again. 

9. ¡Tré! - The third in Green Day's trilogy of albums is it's most sucessful in my opinion. Not because it was the most cohesive but in similar fashion to Nimrod, by this point the willingness to stick to the three album gimmick seemed to have gave way to a kitchen sink approach that allowed some real highs to sneak by. The opening track is a re-working of a Sam Cooke song, but Billie sings it with aplomb, especially the money shot line "Something for my troubled miii-ind". Probably singing autobiographically in this instance, ¡Tré! is the most vulnerable of all the trilogy albums. Missing You is a cool song that feels like it works better as a demo and needed more time to incubate. The album goes along well until X-Kid which is a fine enough song that needed to be more energetic and a minute shorter, in addition to being the side closer. But alas, we're subjected to Sex, Drugs, and Violence. With such a cool title once would hope for a song to live up to it; but sadly no. While attempting to be a bit more high-minded, overrly contrived lyrics drag the album down where it needed a boost the most. By the time we get to the beautiful album closer The Forgotten, most have already tuned out. Too bad, but that's what happend when the middle third drags that badly. The highs can get pretty high but the lows of the album more than counteract it. As a certain president likes to say; Sad!

10. 39/Smooth - For a freshman outing, this album is solid. The only reason I rank it behind ¡Tré!, is that the former has the benefit of emotional maturity behind songs like Drama Queen and X-Kid that make the album worth the bump. Not to say there aren't hints of that here. Road To Acceptance is a remarkably mature song for the age Billie was at. But fundamentally this is a rock album and boy does it succeed. Going To Pasalaqua was the opener through 1994 and it's easy to see why; it KICKS ASS! 39/Smooth is not a bad first outing but can't overcome the inherent flaws that come with it like a mix that leaves a lot to be desired and a band that knows how to rock live but doesn't yet know how to construct a compelling album package... yet.

11. ¡Uno! - While the most sucessful of the trilogy, it may be the most maddening to fans. This album gets a lot right; the first 5 tracks construct a pretty good flow (even if the final version of Carpe Diem leaves a lot to be desired compared to the live versions), it has a construction problem. Fell For You is no way to finish side 1; and the same guys who made 21st Century Breakdown and always talk about how important album flow should know this. Loss Of Control is a lost gem but then we go right back into the slog with Troublemaker. Are there highs here? Sure! But is this an album of a mature band that knows who they are? No. Midlife crisis in album format indeed. Oh, and Oh Love was a shit choice for a lead single. Just sayin'.

12. ¡Dos! - And then we get to the bottom of the studio albums. Look, there are some redeeming qualities to this album. Stop When The Red Lights Flash is downright fun. But this and ¡Uno! really should have been combined into one record. Lazy Bones is about as honest as Billie Joe got during the trilogy era but when it follows up with the Radiohead ripoff that is Wild One, it just wrecks the album sequence. Nighlife is a cool experiment and Wow! That's Loud is a genuinely amazing deep cut that deserved better. I was there the one time it got played live and it was an experience to behold. This song deserves your listening by itself. Amy is beautiful and a hauntingly effective album closer. But for every good track on this album there's another bad one that drags the album down. The trilogy was a double album at best streched out into three albums becuase nobody could tell an intoxicated Billie Joe no. Very little quality control going on here. Sad becuse it drags down the worthwile songs that are on the album, and they do exist, but the whole project just can't escape it's shortcomings. Oh well. They got better.

1 minute ago, Caroline Truong said:

WOW this is amazing long essay..:cool:

I updated my list it is like her list but I put Dos! 9 and Tre 10  and got rid of 39/smooth

I'm gonna do a wall of text too, because I'm a self-proclaimed superfan so I get in deep with this type of stuff.

1A: American Idiot (St. Jimmy, Letterbomb, Whatsername). While some scream overrated, I beg to dream and differ, because AI is undoubtedly GD at their best. Reinvented, revitalized, and revived with a shock, there's a reason GD now stands the test of time and it's more thanks to this than Dookie. Sorry purists. In the vein of the album that got them intially big, American Idiot opens with that iconic riff that blows your ears the fuck up. And after the "Fuck off, Bush" is established, the story opens with Jesus of Suburbia, the band's most iconic song aside from Basket Case, and while I think Homecoming is a better song, that song would have stood up a hell of a lot worse on the radio and as a single. The band themselves knew this album was gonna be huge. I remember in the spotify series that came out not too long ago Fat Mike of NoFx said "I remember I was talkin to Mike Dirnt and he said 'nah we're getting bored we're gonna start doing stadium shows' and I said  'i don't know man' and then American Idiot comes out and then, Boom!, they're playing stadiums and I'm like HOW DID U.... DO THAT..." They knew. This album stands the test of time. For. A. Reason.

1B: RevRad (Bang Bang, Revolution Radio, Forever Now). My favoritism for this album may partially stem from the fact that I saw them live for the first time, as my first concert on the RevRad club tour, but let's just ignore that factor. After the shitshow that was the trilogy, I didn't have high hopes for this. I had heard some rumors leading up until the announcement that said "Oh, Green Day's going back to their roots, it's gonna be punk again!", and I was intrigued but I doubted it. Come release day, I was stoned and astounded that Green Day came back with not a punk record, but as Billie said in the FB livestream on announcement day, it's a rock n roll record! Their punk roots still exist in the lead single, the title track, and our third iteration of JoS (i mean that with love), but for some reason when the distorted guitars kicked in on Somewhere Now, I felt some epic form of rock coming right from the beginning. I personally wasn't disappointed. Sorry for the long wall on this album I'll try to keep the rest short, but I know there's a lot of controversy on whether this album is a "good album" or not, so I figured I'd make my point.

3. Nimrod (Worry Rock, Take Back [tied with Platypus], Prosthetic Head). The way I see it this album was the beginning of mature Green Day. They started showing they were more than just a punk band that played the same damn three chords for 14 songs. But, damn they still did it great. Best way to describe Nimrod is versatile. Take Back and Platypus to Good Riddance and Prosthetic Head, the boys showed they can do whatever the fuck they want. (Wrote a song about that too, Reject.)

4. Dookie (Having A Blast, Basket Case, Pulling Teeth). Praise the lord for Rob Cavallo. Had he not been the representative from Reprise that went to meet Green Day in '93, who knows what would've happened. Probably not Dookie. At least not to it's success. Dookie opens with an explosion after a 1234 count on the drums with Burnout blasting in eardrums with no remorse and the album has a momentum that just doesn't fucking stop. I've seen people say it's overrated, I've seen people say it's their only good album. I'll say this, had I not heard Dookie I wouldn't like punk. And that's what Dookie did. It introduced people in the 90s and early 2000s to no holds barred punk fucking rock from start to finish.

5. 21st Century Breakdown (Murder City, American Eulogy, Last Night on Earth) This was the first album that fully introduced me to GD, as it was the first I listened to front to back, and I was astounded. This album opened my ears to the rock world while it was in the middle of being infested with rap music at an influential point in my childhood, and it's probably the reason I can't stand a lot of mainstream rap. More of an opera than it's predecessor, even split into acts, 21CB is melodramatic Green Day put in the best way possible. They created an incredible dark play that would probably work better on broadway than AI (fix that shit, Hollywood) that shows that they are all incredible writers, and that Billie Joe writes screenplays with his lyrics, and it still fucking astounds me to this day.

6. Kerplunk (Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?, Christie Road, 2000 Light Years Away) I'd like to begin with I wholeheartedly believe that this and 1039 are badly in need of a facelift. Some remasters instead of just re-releases. Can you imagine this entire album re-recorded instead of just Welcome to Paradise? I think it'd be a hardcore fan's wet dream. Take away the blandness of the demo and give it a boost and make it full to the ears and I think that more of the younger fans would be able to appreciate punk Green Day, and as a hardcore fan, I think Christie Road and 2000 Light Years deserve the "Dookiefied" treatment.

7. Insomniac (86, Stuart and The Ave., Brain Stew) Green Day is punk. But they were never hardcore. They're a bunch of goofball nerds who tried to prove to their old fans that they were what they weren't. I love this album, I really do, but they tried way too hard on this album and they tried to be what they aren't. They were never Bad Religion fast, they were never Pennywise heavy, but they did what they did and people loved them for it. Fuckin Gilman purists back in the day messed with the guys heads so much. They stand by the fact that they didn't care, but this album, and more specifically 86, beg to differ.

8. ¡Tré! (X-Kid, Brutal Love, Missing You) Spoiler Alert, ¡Dos! is last on my list. Because in my opinion nothing on that album would be missed had it just sat in the files. Half of ¡Uno! and half of ¡Tré! should have become one album. As the guys themselves said, they tried too hard to be prolific, just for the sake of being prolific. Although, sometimes it did work in their favor. X-Kid is an incredible song in my opinion, and one of my favorites by them. If there was any one song I'd still want them to play live from the trilogy, it's that. As said before, Missing You worked better as a demo, because I sure as hell prefer the demolicious version, and Brutal Love being their encore song for the trilogy tour was an incredible idea for them.

9. Warning (Castaway, Deadbeat Holiday, Waiting). As a 20 year old I can definitely say maturing is a hell of a process. And in the middle of the process, focusing on anything is a hell of a problem. As was earlier in the thread, Warning was unfocused aside from the fact that it had Bob Dylan influences. While that can be heard, that doesn't necessarily fit under the term "focus". Castaway is one of their best songs and when I listen to it, it gets stuck in my head for fuck knows how long. Deadbeat Holiday is insanely underrated, and it's a hell of an alarm clock in the morning.

10. 39/Smooth (At The Library, Disappearing Boy, Pasalacqua). One of the main reasons this is so low on my list is because I personally believe 39/Smooth is better with the 1000. Paper Lanterns, Only Of You, 409 In Your Coffeemaker, Why Do You Want Him?.. all some of my favorite Green Day songs. But ICYMI, they're on 1,039. not 39. Paper Lanterns, 409, and WDYWH all came from Slappy and Only Of You came from 1,000 Hours. Freshman dudes with a freshman record. It's solid, it really is, but it sure as hell isn't anything special. There's definitely a reason Pasalacqua opened for god knows how many years. But my opinion? Billie put the better songs on the EPs. 

11. ¡Uno! (Stay the Night, Let Yourself Go, Carpe Diem) Sigh, this era of Green Day had so much potential ignoring the issue of Billie's health, but once the idea of three albums popped into Billie's head, shit just went downhill. Describing the trilogy as before, during, and after the party is pretty accurate because before the party is pretty fun for the first bit then you're sitting there waiting for the party for the last 70% of the time bored out of your mind, and somehow the afterparty is still the best part. I'll get into the "party" itself in a minute, but back to that metaphor. I think Oh Love is an eh closer but being scarce naming "good" songs out of the trilogy, only the first four songs are good. Once Kill The DJ hits, you cringe and you want to stab your ears because it gets trapped in your head, even when you didnt want it to.

12. ¡Dos! (See You Tonight, Stop When The Red Lights Flash, Stray Heart) What. The fuck. Lame ass party is this. While SWTRLF makes me wanna dance my ass off, as does Stray Heart, that doesn't mean they're solid songs. Nightlife is literally a meme, and the only reason See You Tonight is a song I like is because I like the really lo-fi feel it has and how simple it is. It feels like Song of the Century but without the punch.

Misc. fave GD songs that aren't on studio albums:

Cigarettes and Valentines (all time #1 fave song by them)
Too Much, Too Soon
Desensitized
You Lied
Poprocks & Coke
Ha Ha You're Dead

I'm afraid I can't keep up with my small collection of 4 albums (CDs) and then some, so I'll just order those I know (yep, still a long way to go). And two favourite songs each, because I can't pick favourites.

1. Nimrod. Unchallenged number one of my favourite list. Personally, I think it's more energetic than Dookie, that has more "less raw" songs on it than Nimrod. Great bass lines from Mikey, solid work from the guitar, nice drumming (albeit not quite as nice as Dookie). (Nice Guys Finish Last, King For A Day)

2. I think that'd be Warning, though it's a hard decision. But it sounds different from Nimrod in all the right ways. Minority has quite the untypical bass work from Mike, and the album has lots of songs that qualify for my more favourite Green Day songs. Lots of the songs sound different from usual Green Day, too. Lots of things that are great for acoustic, and lots of use of until then unusual instruments (unusual for Green Day). (Misery; Blood, Sex and Booze)

3. American Idiot. This album is, in my eyes, actually the last nail in the coffin of the "old" Green Day, because I see it as the beginning of what I call GD's "modern rock" phase and the ultimate departure from the Dookie-and-Nimrod sound, with more songs having a second guitar, solos (this change is somewhat symbolised by BJ's new Gibson Juniors (well, AFAIK, he used them on the Nimrod tour too already, but still the Junior is the living symbol of this change to me)).
Nevertheless, the album has lots and lots of great songs, that aren't automatically bad just because the sound's changed (band evolve). Jesus of Suburbia does justice to Billie's claim of wanting to write modern days' Bohemian Rhapsody, and although the melodies are a lot more pop-oriented than before, the rock tunes still have the same energy Green Day has always had, while the slower songs are pretty breathtaking. (Are We The Waiting, Give Me Novacaine)

4. !Uno, !Dos, !Tre. Some songs from them don't sound like Green Day at all, but the trilogy is a - in my opinion successful - experiment towards new styles and sounds. Troublemaker (that flat cap <3) and Stray Heart are great examples of that, and I love most of the songs from them. (Nuclear Family, Kill The DJ, Let Yourself Go, Stray Heart, X-Kid, 99 Revolutions)

5. Dookie. Closely after the trilogy (I'm still unsure whether they can't share that place). Filled to the brim with energy, great bass work from Dirnt, BJ's snotty teenage brat voice and amazing drumming from Tre. Also, Coming Clean is a song that I relate to a lot. It doesn't have much lyrics, but it reflects the feeling of being confused about who you are and why you feel this way pretty accurately. When I learned about it, I already knew for sure I was gay, but it was still an important boost to self-esteem and a validation I was in need of at the time to learn that BJ identifies as bi.
The rest of the songs on the album has a good amount of energy, not quite as much as Nimrod though, I think. Songs like She, Pulling Teeth and When I Come Around are slower than some of their other stuff, and give Dookie a more laid-back feeling overall than other albums.

6. Revolution Radio. Seems to be the last place, but only on this list. It's got some really, really nice songs and a lot of nice songs. When it came out, I was pretty disappointed about the amount of mainly acoustic songs, having expected something less singer-songwriter-like, but that impression vanished after hearing the rest of the album and coming to like the singles. The album feels quite "produced" in my opinion, with lots of 2nd / layered guitar work and many background vocals, but it's amazing nevertheless. A bad-song-turned-favourite of mine is Youngblood, that reminds me a bit of Troublemaker, sound-wise; as well as Bouncing Off the Wall (anybody else feel like it reminds you of Know Your Enemy?). (Youngblood, Bang Bang, Bouncing Off the Wall)

Honourable Mentions

21st Century Breakdown - I don't know many songs off the album, the ones I know are pretty great though. If it were on the list, it'd be somewhere around or above Dookie, I guess. Perhaps 6.5 between Dookie and Revolution Radio. Know Your Enemy, Murder City, Last of the American Girls, 21 Guns and American Eulogy are the ones I know, and they're great and powerful. Scratch the second sentence, it'd be somewhere between American Idiot and the Trilogy. Nah, I don't know enough of the album to place it somewhere.

Ha Ha You're Dead, I Was There, Going To Pasalacqua, Geek Stink Breath, Dominated Love Slave, One Of My Lies - great songs from albums I don't own or know well enough.

• 2 weeks later...

1. American Idiot 

2. Nimrod 

3. Dookie 

4. Insomniac 

5. Revolution Radio 

6. 21st Century Breakdown 

7. Warning

8. Dos!

9. Kerplunk!

10. 39/Smooth

11. Uno!