Personal Album Ranking

St. Jonny

4 minutes ago, Q-Man said:

1. 21st Century Breakdown- One of the only albums I can listen to all the way through and never get tired of it. Also the best tours they have ever done in my opinion.

2. American Idiot- The masterpiece that introduced me to Green Day and got me interested in music in the first place.

3. Revolution Radio- An incredible comeback for the band after the trilogy. Very diverse songs that give me the chills whenever I hear them. Can't wait to see the upcoming tour.

4. Nimrod- Easily the most diverse album they have to offer. Not one bad song on the entire album. 

5. Dookie- The classic breakthrough album. Don't really need to say more about this one.

6. Insomniac- By far the most underrated Green Day album. The pure anger and energy in these songs is incredible.

7. ¡Trè!- My favorite of the trilogy. Brutal Love, and X-Kid are among some of my favorite songs. Had potential but tracks like A Little Boy Named Train really brought it down.

8. ¡Uno!- Only slightly behind ¡Trè!. Even though these albums are so far down the list I still love them. This album just lacks a certain feeling to it and I can't put my finger on it. Nuclear Family was such a great opening track that led into three albums of just decent (and some subpar) material with a few gems here and there. 

9. Warning- Once upon a time my favorite Green Day album but for whatever reason as time went on it hasn't held up for me personally. Still find myself listening to it every so often but nowhere near as much as when I first bought it.

10. Shenanigans- I'll put it here even though it's a compilation because it still flows like an album. There are some incredible songs on here and some eh songs. 

11. Kerplunk- The album that they really started to find the sound that would make them household names shortly after. Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? is my personal favorite pre-Dookie song. 

12. 39/smooth- More of an interesting look at the early talent of the band that would achieve worldwide fame a few years later than a truly enjoyable listen. There a few great tracks though. 

13. ¡Dos!- When this album was first released I was blinded by how big of a fan of the band I am. I didn't want to admit my favorite band released an overall bad album. Yes it has Lazy Bones, Fuck Time, and Stray Heart (Amy is ok too). But that's about it in my eyes. See You Tonight is my least favorite thing they have ever released and Billie's vocal filter on Nightlife kills me. I can even tolerate the rapping on that one. By far their weakest release overall.

I don't 100% agree, but I agree with alot of your assessment.   

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Dookie

2. Nimrod

3. Warning

4. Uno

5. Tre

6. Insomniac

7. Kerplunk

8. Dos

9.  SOSH

10. Revolution Radio

11. American Idiot

12. 21 Century Letdown

1: American Idiot. The album that introduced me to GD. 10/10

2: Dookie. A classic, all time great 10/10

3: Nimrod. I love the variety of songs on it 9.5/10

4: Revolution Radio. I love Bang Bang, Still Breathing and Forever Now. I don't like Youngblood 9/10

5: 21st Century Breakdown. Some great songs on here, but I find the album is a bit long  9/10

6: Warning. Some great, catchy songs on here 8.5/10

7: Kerplunk. Good songs on here like Welcome to Paradise and Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? 8/10

8: Trilogy. Some good songs on the trilogy mixed with some not so good songs 7.5/10

9: Insomniac. A good album, but I prefer the albums listed above  7/10

10: 1039. A good album which shows GD's potential   7/10

1 Kerplunk - 2000 LYA, Christie Road, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield, 80, One of my Lies, Words I Might have ate, Welcome to Paradise are all exceptional! Great album!!!!

2 Dookie - Flawless classic! 

3 Nimrod - People compare it to London Calling by The Clash, which is ridiculous as London Calling is sooo much better! But this is still a great album, but Joe Strummer is God! 

4 American Idiot - Pretty Flawless, also the fist album i bought so has a special place to me!

5 Uno - The Trilogy got a hard time at first, Nuclear Family is one of the best songs Green Day has ever released! Stay the Night, Kill the DJ, Loss of Control, Fell For You, Rusty James, Sweet 16 all good songs!

6 Insomniac - Punk, anger and frustration! Always works! 86, Stuck With Me, No Pride Armatage Shanks, Westbound Sign, Bab's Uvula Who?! Brain Stew/Jaded... All Great songs!!! 

7 39 Smooth - Solid record! I could take or leave Rest, but other than brilliant set of songs!

8 Tre - Again this is just a solid record, a few tracks i think on here that maybe a little underrated! Brutal Love, Missing You, 8th Avenue Serenade, X-Kid, Amanda, Dirty Rotten Bastards all have that certain Green Day catchyness about them! 

9 21st Century Breakdown - The 21st Century Breakdown tour was amazing! But had to take that out of the question for this sadly other wise i'd have ranked this much higher!

10 Warning - Never really caught me as a whole album sadly, Waiting is one of my favorite Green Day songs but as an album this just isn't cutting it for me personally. Having said that, I can see why a lot of people do love this album, its more a personal thing that I know doesn't get me as much as the other records! 

11 Dos - Worst of the 3 in the trilogy, Didn't quite have the catchy moments for me that Green Day are known for. A few good solid songs, a few that miss the mark a bit. Stray Heart, Baby Eyes, Lady Cobra, Wow! That's Loud are the stand out tracks for me.

12 Rev Rad - I just don't get Rev Rad, Too Dumb Too Die is great, Bang Bang is ok, Somewhere Now is excellent. To be fair I've probably got too give it more of a chance, but for me a tough one. I normally jump right into loving an album at first then start to hate it later then back to loving it. This hasn't taken off with me at all! Maybe it's me, maybe it is a lackluster record.... I'm not sure and I'm not sold on it! Sorry Rev Rad! 

Tough to choose, TBH if i did this again tomorrow or yesterday, it'd be a different order! (Apart from Rev Rad which would still sit firmly in last!)

4 hours ago, St. Jonny said:

This is quite entertaining to read these. Haushinka has an awesome ranking, love how you said Insomniac is all killer, no filler. You damn right!! I find all the 90's albums are all killer no filler. With the exception of tracks like Last Ride In, which is a cool recording!

Haha thanks a lot! & I agree, the responses are definitely interesting to read. I'm glad you started this thread. :thumbsup:

Yeah, good to see what people like more and what not. Seagull's is interesting above, it's actually interesting to read everybody's responses. What an epic catalogue of albums this band has indeed!

Warning 

American Idiot/Dookie 

Revolution Radio/Nimrod/21st CB/Kerplunk

Insomniac/39Smooth/uno/dos/Tre 

1) Insomniac - Raw punk rock, pure perfection.

2) Nimrod - Eclectic album. It always sounds brilliant.

3) Dookie - Catchy, fun, very well mixed.

4) American Idiot - Epic, clean sound, powerful tracks. But nothing beats 90s GD.

5) Revolution Radio - A never-boring, personal and meaningful album.

6) Warning - Underrated, yet very well done experimental record.

7) 21st Century Breakdown - Less epic than American Idiot, but very powerful too.

8, 9, 10) Trilogy - Respectively, Trè, Dos and Uno. A great idea, a lot of great tracks. It's bad to see them so down on the list. But other albums are just better than these.

11) Kerplunk - A bunch of good songs. Not as good as others, though.

12) 39/Smooth - Fun. Very fun. Horrible mixing.

Edit: I don't know why, but it was so easy to rank the albums. This is EXACTLY the way I would have listed them back in 2014, just added RevRad at #5. I have a clear idea of GD music.

Another thing... For all Kerplunk-39/Smooth lovers: just because I put them at the bottom it doesn't mean I don't like them. I'd give a 8/8.5 to both. I know, my grades are too high, but they're GREEN DAY. :happy:

1. Kerplunk! 9.5/10 (not including the Sweet Children EP songs)

2. Dookie. 9/10

3. Warning. 8/10

4. Insomniac. 7.5/10

5. Nimrod. 7/10

6. American Idiot. 6.7/10

7. 1039/SOSH. 6.3/10

8. Revolution Radio 4.5/10

9. Tre. 4.3/10

10. 21st Century Breakdown. 4/10

11. Uno. 3.7/10

12. Dos. 3/10

@St. Jonny, why are you doing this to me??!! :lol:

1. American Idiot - a true musical masterpiece. Holiday, Whatsername, Letterbomb and JOS are among my favourites.

2. Dookie - fun, catchy and put the band firmly on the map. Contains some of my all time favourites: Welcome to Paradise, Basket Case and In the End.

3. Nimrod - I love the variety on this album, and has some of my favourite ever GD anthems e.g Hitchin' a Ride, Redundant & Haushinka.

4. Insomniac - gritty, angsty, punchy and a terrific follow up to Dookie. Some of Mike's best basslines are on here e.g Stuart and the Ave and Stuck With Me.

5. Revolution Radio - I thought this was a great comeback album for the band. The lyrics (for the most part :lol:) are great, and I feel like a lot of the songs are extremely relevant and carry an important message, as well as being drawn from the band's past experiences.

6. 21st Century Breakdown - for me, there are so many gems on this album e.g 21CB, East Jesus Nowhere, American Eulogy and ¿VLG?. Not as good as AI, but it's a really great listen none-the-less! 

7. Kerplunk - I have been falling in love with Kerplunk all over again recently! A lot of the lyrics are really mature and honest, and Tré's drumming on this album is among some of his best! Once again, I am digging Mike's basslines on Kerplunk, in particular those in 80 and Holden.

8. Warning - I feel guilty for this being rather low, even though there's a whole load of favourites I have from Warning, such as Waiting, Blood, Sex and Booze and Misery. 

9. ¡Uno!: Definitely my favourite trilogy album. I agree that it has a good bit of filler, but I can happily listen to the first five songs together, along with Troublemaker and Oh Love :D

10.1039SOSH: A really good first album for GD (well, BJ, Mike and John!), but by no means the best. Billie's guitar work on this is fantastic, in particular that solo in Dry Ice! I also love Paper Lanterns and Going to Pasalacqua.

11. ¡Tré! - my second favourite from the trilogy on the basis that ¡Uno! has a couple less tracks I would probably skip. My highlights from ¡Tré! are DRB, X-Kid and of course, Brutal Love! 

12. ¡Dos! - not that I dislike it, it just has the least number of tracks I really love compared to the other two trilogy records. I really admire and enjoy the energy of this album.  Like Billie said, ¡Dos! is the 'party' album of the trilogy. My favourites are Makeout Party and SWTRLF.

Overall, I found this really difficult. For me, AI and Dookie are on the same level, 3-8 are on similar levels and 9-12 are more or less the same level! ;)

Ooooo this could be hard haha. Ermmmmmmm...

1. Warning - This was the era I got into Green Day after hearing Minority. This is my personal favourite :) I love songs like Church on Sunday, Castaway, Hold On, Waiting and Jackass! I think Minority is the heart of Green Day in my opinion ha

2. American Idiot - Fucking Masterpiece

3. Revolution Radio - So catchy but the good catchy ha:) Big statement being heard! 

4. Insomniac - Straight up energy and in your face! 

5. Dookie - What made them huge and love it loud and live ha

6. Nimrod - Wide range of different sounding songs! I love playing along to this album on guitar especially Nice Guys Finish Last

7. 21st Century Breakdown - I know this is number 7 on my favourite list but I think it's the best album Green Day have made. Musically it's amazing the story telling and the lyrics are soooooo good! Not my personal favourite but in terms of Green Day as musicians, I personally feel it's the best Green Day album.

8. Uno - My fav of the trilogy and Stay the Night is my fav song of this era.

9. Kerplunk - I love the low budget feel and sounding of this album and One For the Razorbacks and the version of a Welcome to Paradise. I just like other albums above better. Awesome album though ha. 

10. 39 Smooth - Again love low budget feel and sound and we know this was when Green Day were taking their first steps! Awesome album but not really high on my favourite list.

11. Tre - I like the feel of this album especially live with songs like 99 Revolutions, Missing You and Brutal Love. However it's not High up on my favourite list. We could only hope what Dirty Rotten Bastards sounds like live haha. 

12. Dos - It's not that I dislike this album just don't rank it high on my fav Green Day Albums. I love Stop When The Red Lights Flash and Lazy Bones and the fuck time solo! but not high on my favourite Green Day albums. 

This is will probably change haha but this is how I put them in order right now! Will be hard to beat Warning for me though :)

1. American Idiot

1. Dookie

1. Revolution Radio- I flat out can't decide amongst them for number 1, so I put them in alphabetical order.  Part of me really wants to put RevRad, but how do you top two seminal albums?  For RevRad, Bang Bang and Ordinary World are in my top 15 all time favorite GD songs, and Say Goodbye, Revolution Radio, and Forever Now would probably be in my top 25-30.  There isn't a single miss on the album.  Even ones I consider slightly lesser, like Still Breathing, Somewhere Now, and Youngblood, I still consider to be solid B, B+ songs.

4. Nimrod- If you eliminate tracks 11-14, I would consider this a perfect album.  Five of my top 15 GD songs are on it (Good Riddance, Hitchin' a Ride, KFAD, Redundant, and The Grouch).  I love the variety (harder stuff like Take Back and Platypus, softer like Good Riddance, more experimental like KFAD and Last Ride In, etc) and it has some of my favorite GD lyrics. 

5. Warning- a solid album, but the only true standout to me is Misery.

6. 21st Century Breakdown- I could switch the order with the trilogy ones, but am putting it here for now.  It's a little too clean and polished for my taste, although I like it more than I used to.

7. Uno

8. Dos

9. Tre- Not positive on my trilogy order. It used to be Uno first, but I might put Dos ahead of it now.  Uno has two of my top 15 in Oh Love and Kill the DJ, where I have no standouts on Dos, but I feel there's more filler on Uno.  I like Dos more than I used to, especially if I think of it more in a Foxies' standpoint.

10. Insomniac- love half, feel meh about the other half.

11. Kerplunk- love Christie Road

12. 39/Smooth- only one of my top 15 pre-Kerplunk is Paper Lanterns, which technically speaking isn't on 39/Smooth. Both Kerplunk and 39/Smooth would point to where GD was heading, but they weren't quite there yet.

By the way-hi!  Long time Green Day fan and have lurked here for several months.

55 minutes ago, Montclare said:

By the way-hi!  Long time Green Day fan and have lurked here for several months.

Welcome! Glad you decided to start posting! :) 

1. Dookie - First GD album I ever heard, so of course it's automatic for me. 

2. American Idiot - Watching them reborn after Warning was a semi-rebirth for me in my life as well.

3. Warning - I believe this to be their most original work.. Something I'd equate to a 5 star meal at a gourmet restaurant.. So tasty.

4. Tre - How can you top everything they've done up to 21CB? By going mildly insane and documenting the celebration of their success in a trilogy of albums. Billie Joe had the mind of a 5 year old when he wrote these songs, and this is the most under rated album (and idea) of 2012. 

5. Uno - If at some point in the future everybody calms down and starts enjoying life again, real fans of rock and roll will look back at Green Day's work and realize the trilogy was some of their best if looking at it objectively, and not by 'hype'. The first half of this album, and Oh Love, is pure gold.

6. Nimrod - A great transition from a pop punk band to a rock band, and an eye opener to how great of songwriters they are. It has a couple of duds, but at least 5 or 6 really memorable songs.

7. 21st Century Breakdown - If you need a follow up to AI, this is as close as you can get to anything on par. To be able to pull that off the way they did with this album is pretty incredible, if you ask me.

8. Revolution Radio - I think at this point, we are lucky to be able to still get high quality songs from Green Day. The fact they can still be relevant is incredible. Not their best work, but a couple of memorable songs are found on here. 

9. Kerplunk - For an independent album, this is pretty amazing! Really sweet melodies and a lot of fun to listen to. 

10. Insomniac - This would easily be in my top 5 if they simply added more harmonies to the vocals, and guitar solos into these epic songs. It feels very rushed and careless to me, but I know a lot of people like it that way. A potential masterpiece that could have been better than Dookie if they weren't trying to make such an angry statement. 

11. Dos - Some good songs on here, but nothing too memorable, aside from Stray Heart. Definately over produced for a garage album, and could have been epic if made as the second Foxboro Album.

12. 1039 Slappy - Only at the bottom because of the production value. Some really great songs and AMAZING solos.. A little too good coming from a 16 year old lol.. Just goes to show what a naturally born talent Billie is.

That's the thing about 39/smooth it just can't be ranked higher than all their other amazing albums. The solo's are prime, some of my favorites. I'd love to say it's better than most of the other albums. But it isn't really possible to say that is it...still, it's such a great old school album!

1 hour ago, Haushinka! said:

Welcome! Glad you decided to start posting! :) 

Awww... thanks! :)

1. American Idiot. I've said this before on this website. It's the album that changed my life forever. It inspired me to play musical instruments. I also made new friends because of this album. I wouldn't be the person today without this album.

2. Nimrod. I can relate to a lot of songs off of this record. There's just a lot of songs like The Grouch, Platypus, Nice Guys Finish Last, Scattered, and Good Riddance that are really relatable to me.

3. Insomniac. I love the dark lyrics and anger on this album. 

4. Dookie. Even though it's their best album. It didn't change my life like American Idiot did. 

5. Kerplunk! A great album for an Independent record. 

6. RevRad. An album that sums up my feelings how I feel about America right now tbh.

7. 21st Century Breakdown. Great album. A little too long though. 

8. Warning. I don't get the hype from Green Day fans.

9. Tre. Best album of the Trilogy. But that's not saying much...

10. Uno. A lot of cheesy ass lyrics

11. Dos. Disappointing.

12. 1039/Smooth. I rarely listen to this album. 

1. insomniac - my favourite album ever. 

2.Warning - i love macy's day parade so much more than many other songs.

3.nimrod - it's a weird adventure and i love it - Take Back rules too.

4.kerplunk - many of my favourite GD lyrics come from this sweet,light hearted album.

5. 39/smooth - it reminds me of what you can achieve with limited circumstances. Going to pasalacqua is the best thing ever.

6. Dookie - Now that i listen to some of Dookie songs ,they actually make me cry because of nostalgia. 

7. shenanigans - many great songs never had appreciation.

8.revolution radio

9-american idiot

10-21st cb

11- tre

12-uno

13-dos

I did a listen through everything and did a whole blog post breaking all of this down actually. :happy:

21 hours ago, GTP39Smooth said:

Ooooo this could be hard haha. Ermmmmmmm...

1. Warning - This was the era I got into Green Day after hearing Minority. This is my personal favourite :) I love songs like Church on Sunday, Castaway, Hold On, Waiting and Jackass! I think Minority is the heart of Green Day in my opinion ha

To me GD is Minority & Hold On is one of  the most underrated songs.

1. Revolution Radio

2. Dookie

3. American Idiot

4. Nimrod

5. Kerplunk

6. 21st Century Breakdown

7. Insomniac

8. Warning

9. 39/Smooth

10. Tre!

11. Dos!

12. Uno!

1. Dookie - I have probably listened to this one the most out of any of them and it just really got me through my adolescence. It's a perfect punk/pop punk whatever you want to call it album.

2. American Idiot - Honestly probably one of the best albums of all time. I put it second though because I feel like I have to be more in the mood and emotionally be prepared when I listen to it.

3. Insomniac - I love this album so much it's so straight up and honest. I think the thing that makes it third is that the songs can start to sound to similar if you are listening to it for the first time. But I do truly love the anger that's conveyed in this album.

4. Nimrod - I feel like I rarely listen to this album completely in full because it's so diverse so I just pick a few songs and that i'm feeling the style of and play them. But honestly I really like how diverse the album is and I think it still flows well. To go from Take Back to Good Riddance is truly awesome.

5. Revolution Radio - I think this album is really strong and concise but what it lacks compared to the top four is the replay factor for certain songs. I could play Bang Bang every second but I couldn't see myself playing Troubled Times or Say Goodbye over and over. 

6. 21st CB - I think this album is pretty underrated for the work that obviously I felt went into it. I think they were kind of stuck between the "i want to still be political but stray from American Idiot". and that's what kind of pushed people away. it does seem too "arena" and tries too hard at times. They forget not every song has to be so epic, but overall the album is great one.

7. Kerplunk - It's old fashioned and pure and while they were still trying to find their groove their maturity from 1039 was still evident. I think it's a solid album for a second one.

8. Warning - Honestly I forget this album exist sometimes so I don't listen to it as much as I should. There are some songs that just seemed forgettable over the years but also some you just can't forget, like Minority or Warning. I always felt connect to Church on Sunday, I thought the chorus and melodies were so captivating. But after that I get stuck in between Fashion Victim through Jackass and I find them a little forgettable. Still solid songs and I don't dislike one but the middle of the album is definetely not as strong to me as the beginning or end.

9. 39/Smooth- they were still obviously finding themselves as a band in this compilation album of their eps and first lp. It's an adorable album in the sense that I go back to it when I think about how far they have come whether it be lyrically or musically. As a Green Day fan I can certainly appreciate this album but as a regular fellow on a street ? I probably wouldn't recommend it. Repetitive melodies, repetitive chords, they certainly do differ enough to tell them apart and this album has some great tracks but does not stand a chance against these top 8. 

10. UNO! - I got excited when I first heard this album that's part of the trilogy but then I realized how angry I was about how compressed the music seemed to be in general. It was poorly produced in my opinion and it was a fun album but I felt like it was not Green Day worthy.

11. TRE! - There are so many addictive songs on this album but just have some lazy lyrics. Drama Queen I still don't understand, "she's old enough to bleed now"? Does she have her period? Missing You and 8th Serenade were so catchy and I listened to them so much but I still thought the writing was super lazy. There is for the most part good tunes but nothing that pops out of this album and says "this isn't a filler album". Dirty Rotten Bastards is well received but even then I would rather listen to their concept cover of the Who's "A Quick One"

12. DOS! - Clearly a lot of these songs were written for joking Foxboro Hottubs lyrics in mind before a Green Day album. Nightlife is kind of a joke and I cannot take it seriously, while I do love the bassline it is definetely cringey. ALso who wants to hear about an old man at a makeout party? Come on Billie you have combined the world of the Hottubs and Green Day and that's not necessarily a good thing. 

4 hours ago, XPursuitOfEpicnessX said:

11. TRE! - There are so many addictive songs on this album but just have some lazy lyrics. Drama Queen I still don't understand, "she's old enough to bleed now"? Does she have her period?

Thank you!  That's what I always think of when I hear that line.

Okay, I was bored, so I averaged out the albums based on the 34 responses so far.  It's a rough average since some people had ties.  I didn't include Shenanigans and counted 39/Smooth and 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours responses as the same.

1. Dookie 3.12

2. American Idiot 3.53

3. Nimrod 4.32

4. Insomniac 5.21

5. Warning 5.26

6. Revolution Radio 5.79

7. 21st Century Breakdown 6.24

8. Kerplunk 6.85

9. Uno 8.65

10. Tre 8.74

11. 39/Smooth 9.03

12. Dos 10.06

Also of note, all albums came in first place at least once except for Uno (highest was 4), Dos (5), and Tre (4).  All also came in last except for Dookie (lowest was 6), Insomniac (11), Nimrod (10), and Warning (11).  The album with the most first place votes was American Idiot with 8, and the album with the most lowest place votes was Dos with 13.

• 4 weeks later...

1. American Idiot  because of it's story

2. 21st Century Breakdown, it's an American Idiot but with more songs (not necessarly better songs). There's a lot of piano and a love that. Besides, musically that's the more "worked", "researched" album

3. Revolution Radio  because Forever Now, Bang Bang, Troubled Times and Outlaws

4. Nimrod, some nice songs (NGFL, Haushinka, Worry Rock...)

5. Dookie  (I know if I put it under 5th position I'll get ban lol) 

6. Tré  Best of the triology with Dirty Rotten Bastards, Brutal Love...

7. Warning, Don't really like the guitar sound but nice songs though

8 .Smooth/Slappy Don't really like the sound but there's a style that was lost after (At The Library, Rest, Green Day ...)

9. Uno  fun

10. Dos  fun, more garage

11. Insomniac  ok, but always the same thing, too punk for me

12. Kerplunk  except 2-3 songs, I don't really like the album (+ it's sound)

Archived