Personal Album Ranking

St. Jonny

This may exist already. If so, be a bored fan and do it anyway. Always interesting to see who likes what more. It is all personal preference anyway so rank away:

1. Dookie

2. Insomniac

3. Nimrod

4. American Idiot

5. Kerplunk!

6. Warning

7. Revolution Radio

8. 21st Century Breakdown

9. Tre!

10. 39/Smooth

11. Dos!

12. Uno!

Get's really hard in the middle!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's about time we got a new thread for this. Although I know list threads aren't encouraged so we should probably explain our choices if we are to have a thread like this

21CB - My favourite album, contains many of my favourite tracks including the title track, Restless Heart Syndrome and EJN 10/10

American Idiot - A classic album. Contains fantastic tracks. Some of my favourites are Homecoming, Letterbomb and Holiday 9.5/10

Warning - A 12 track album, where all 12 songs are fun, catchy and enjoyable 9/10

Revolution Radio - Great tracks although with 12 tracks in an album, it should be expected that all 12 tracks are of high quality. A couple of these songs lack that, hence why RR is not at the top 8.5/10

Dookie - Best of the 90s albums 8.5/10

Uno/Dos/Tré - I think all 3 albums are pretty much equal in quality, each record has strong points and low points 8/10

Insomniac - Their most punk record to date. Great old style GD tracks. A nice follow up to Dookie 7.5/10

Shenanigans - Although it's a B-side album, it still has some quality tracks. And I know it's not a studio album but I included it because why not 7.5/10

Nimrod - I feel that this album is overrated. Many say it's their best album, I don't really get it. It just feels like an average GD album. There's still quality material here though 7/10

Kerplunk - Pre-Dookie albums are in my opinion the weakest. There's still some quality stuff in these albums. Kerplunk in particular has some great tracks 6/10

1,039/SOSH - Personally, I find this the weakest GD album. It's difficult to listen to in full. Again, it has some decent tracks but nothing stands out and a lot of the songs sound the same 5.5/10

1. Dookie

2. American Idiot

3. Insomniac

4. Kerplunk!

5. Nimrod

6. Warning

7. Revolution Radio

8. 21CB
9. 39/Smooth

10. Tre

11. Uno

12. Dos

Ok, here we go:

1. American Idiot (10/10)

2. Warning (9.5/10)

3. Dookie (9/10)

4. 21st Century Breakdown (8.5/10)

5. Revolution Radio

-  Nimrod (can't choose)  (8/10)

7. Insomniac (7/10)

8. Uno

-  Dos

-  Tre

-  Kerplunk!  (the same, I really like probably half of the songs on each album of these 4, others seem a bit weak) (6.5/10)

12. 39 / Smooth (5.5-6/10)

1.  American Idiot:   The greatest artistic achievement of ever.   

2.  Warning:  This was the first album that was released after my discovery of the band, so it holds a special place in my heart.

3.  Nimrod:  Neck and neck with Warning, this is the album that got me into the band and it's just amazing.  If it weren't for Haunshinka and Prosthetic Head this would be one of the great albums of all time in my humble opinion.  

4.  Dookie:   It's like fun therapy!  That is all.  

5.  Tre:  Sure there's a few mis-steps here but other tracks are pure gold.   Brutal Love, X-Kid, Missing You, Sexs/Drugs/Violence and Walk Away are among the nuggets.  

6.  Uno:  Even if you're on the "hate the Trilogy bandwagon", you know you were pumped when this album dropped.   This one has some really special songs in its ranks.  

7.  Dos:  This one gets points for originality.  From acoustic numbers and Foxboro Hot Tubs anthems to honest to God soul-letting (Lazy Bones), this album is all over the place.   Here's to many more Green Day songs with rappers.   :)

8.  21st Century Breakdown:   This album is a great listen but it can be exhausting and for that reason, it doesn't get a lot of spins from me unless I'm really in the mood for it.  When I do listen though, it's amazing and well crafted.   Let's see you make something like Idiot and then have the guts to follow it up with ANYTHING.   This is what they came up with and while it's way down on the list, it holds up well to many a album.  

9.  Insomniac:   Has some killer material but also some filler.  

10.  1039:  Good for a listen every now and then but not that many WOW songs.  A decent album.

11.    Kerplunk:   Has a few great tracks but I just don't love this one like Dookie and onward albums.   

I am still deciding where to place Revolution Radio in this.   It's definitely in the top 4.  I'm trying to mentally put it up against Dookie, Nimrod, Warning and Idiot and it's so, so hard.   I'd have to say it's better than Dookie (sorry old school fans).      Idiot will always be first so it comes down to Revolution Radio, Nimrod or Warning.  I'll say........

Revolution Radio comes in at #4.   It's their fourth best album.   Good night!

1. Insomniac
In my humble opinion, Green Day's most consistent front-to-back release. Not one bad song on this record, it's just an amazing ride from start to finish!

2. 1,039/SOSH
By far Green Day's most underrated release! While I like Insomniac the best as far as full albums go, this one has the best sound out of all of them! I've seen people complain about the production before and the fact that a lot of the songs sound pretty similar, but to me, who cares? I love albums with bad production! lol It gives things a certain charm, in my opinion.

3. Warning
I don't know who all actually agrees, but to me this is one of Green Day's best! I'm not really a fan of "Misery" personally, but every other song is just great! This album's just got something magical about it, I think!

4. Nimrod
I'm not sure what all I can say about why I rank this one where I do. It's just really good! It has some of my all-time favorite Green Day songs like "Redundant" and "Haushinka" on it!

5. Dookie
As much as I like this one, I kinda feel like it's overrated a bit. I mean, it's a great album, and this is another one that I think has a really good flow start to finish, but it's far from their best album IMO. 

6. Kerplunk
Out of the Lookout albums, this seems to be the one that everyone likes. While it's good and there's some great tracks on here ("2,000 Light Years Away", "Private Ale", "80", ect), it just never grabbed me as much as a lot of Green Day's other albums, for some reason. Even at the height of my Green Day fandom, I didn't listen to this one a whole lot.

7. American Idiot
I don't listen to this one a whole lot these days, but it'll always have a special place in my heart. It was the first album I ever bought with my own money, and it was this that made me originally want to be a musician. I'll still put it on on occasion, and it just gives me a smile thinking about all the memories. It's that way with most of Green Day's other stuff as well though. lol

8. 21CB
I really hated this one when it first came out, mostly because of how overplayed "21 Guns" was at the time, and I hate that song anyway. Coming back to it now, I can honestly say that it's not all that bad. While there's still songs I don't care much for ("Before the Lobotomy", "Little Girl", "Restless Heart Syndrome", "21 Guns", "See the Light"), the rest of it is either good or great!

9. Revolution Radio
Honestly, I haven't listened to this one a whole lot. At the time it came out, I was too busy listening to bands like Dinosaur Jr, They Might Be Giants, The Pogues, Husker Du, The Smiths, R.E.M, ect. lol From what I remember of it though, this seems like a good place to rank it.

10. Uno/Dos/Tre
Sorry to anyone who likes these albums, but I've just never liked them all that much. A lot of it seems unfocused to me, like they're going all over the place and came up with as many songs as possible just for the sake of it. Too much filler and even the better songs sound like older songs or are just generally nothing special.

This was tough! AI and Dookie are a tie for #1 for me, 3 though 8 are basically a tie for #2. But, if I had a gun to my head...

1. American Idiot

2. Dookie

3. Kerplunk!

4. Insomniac

5. Warning

6. Nimrod

7. Revolution Radio

8. 39/Smooth

9. Tre

10. Uno

11. 21CB

12. Dos

Well in terms of favorites to listen to...

12.) Tre

11.) Kerplunk

10.) 1039

9.) Dos

8.)  Uno

7.)  Insomniac

6.) Warning

5.) Dookie

4.) Revolution Radio

3.) American Idiot

2.) 21st Century Breakdown

1.) Nimrod

1. 39/Smooth
2. Dookie
3. Nimrod
4. American Idiot
5. Insomniac
6. Kerplunk
7. Warning
8. Revolution Radio
9. Uno
10. Tre
11. 21st Century Breakdown
12. Dos

this ranking is more based on "what do I listen to the most". Actually, the stuff I listen to the most is probably Shenanigans/EPs, stuff that's not on the albums. And just because Dos is at the bottom doesn't mean I hate it! I'm gonna go listen to Wild One right now actually! 

This is so hard because I love many of their albums almost equally. Especially 1,039 SOSH and Insomniac. They are my babies. :wub:

1. Insomniac - All killer, no filler. Literally.

2. 1039 SOSH - I'm in love with the classic raw sound from Blue on this (as well as Kerplunk). It amazes me to this day how talented the guys were at such a young age. This was the album that turned me into a Green Day fan. I love the sappy love songs <3 

3. Dookie - This is a classic, thus deservedly in my top 3. It has plenty of energy, awesome lyrics, and includes so many of my favorite songs.

4. Nimrod - Diverse as can be. The tracklist showcases that Green Day can do pretty much anything and sound badass. Take Back alone is legendary in my book. The humor mixed into the lyrics is another quality that I really love.

5. American Idiot - This is in a league of it's own. Hard to compare it to the other albums. It's epic, it's massive, and it introduced me to the band. It displays the creative genius of the guys instrumentally and lyrically.

6. Kerplunk - This is hard not to put at the top of the list, but it has some tracks that I could live without. I love the old school sound, and it has a few of my favorites, but not enough to be top 5.

7. Warning - Not a terrible album by any means, just not an amazing one in my opinion. I like every song on it, but that's the problem - I don't LOVE them.

8. Revolution Radio - It has a few songs that I like, but for whatever reason, it doesn't pull me in. I can count with my fingers the amount of times i've listened to the album in it's entirety. Plus, some of the lyrics are disappointing in my opinion. 

9. 21Century Breakdown - Yes, it's low on the list, but I can admit that it was another epic album. Just not my cup of tea. It has a few gems though.

10. UNO/DOS/TRE - Although there are a few songs I enjoy, I can't even stand listening to many of the songs in full. As the guys said recently in an interview, 'It is what it is". 

1. Insomniac

2. American Idiot

3. Dookie

4. 21st Century Breakdown

5. Revolution Radio

6. Kerplunk 

7. Nimrod 

8. 39 Smooth

9. Tre

10. Warning 

11. Uno

12. Dos

Insomniac

Kerplunk

1039 SOSH

21st century breakdown

American Idiot

Dookie

Nimrod

Warning

Revolution Radio

Tre

Uno

Dos

1. Insomniac

2. Nimrod

3. American Idiot

4. Dookie

5. 21st Century Breakdown

6. Warning

7. Revolution Radio

8. Kerplunk!

9. 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

10. Uno

11. Tre

12. Dos

Makes me curious to see if we can find two identical lists, seems impossible :lol:

1. I cannot tell.... its probably Warning

2. Kerplunk!

3. Dookie

4. American Idiot

5. Uno!

6. Revolution Radio

8. 21 century breakdown

9. Insomaniac

10. Dos!

11. 39\smooth

12. Tré!

Mine has changed a lot recently: 

12. American idiot 

11. Revolution Radio 

10. 39/smooth

9. Insomniac 

8. Kerplunk

7. Uno!

6. Dos!

5. Tre!

4. Dookie

3. Warning

2. 21st century breakdown 

1. Nimrod

1. 21st Century Breakdown

2. Revolution Radio

3. American Idiot

4. Nimrod

5. Dos

6. Dookie

7. Uno

8. Tre

9. Insomniac 

10. Kerplunk

11. Warning

12. 39/Smooth

This thread is timely (even thought I think it does exist somewhere)  A few weeks ago I was bored at work and decided to put my statistical brain to work to quantify my album rankings.  I listened to each album beginning to end and detailed which songs I skip on each one.  Not the ones I skip sometimes because I'm not in the mood for them, but the ones I skip every time because I simply don't like them.  The result was surprising.  But, based on that statistical info, here is my album rankings.  Yes, I know this is geeky.  

1. (tie) - American Idiot - skipped 0.  To me this album is pretty darn close to perfect.  

1. (tie) - Warning - skipped 0.  I've always loved everything about this album.  I love when they step out of their comfort zone and they did this with Warning.  A truly underrated album.

3. (tie) - Revolution Radio - skipped 1.  If it wasn't for the song that shall not be named, this would be in a 3 way tie for first.  I love all the different things they tried on this album and the emotions and personal experiences around the songs.

3. (tie) - 21 CB - skipped 1.  A great follow up to American Idiot.  It doesn't have that uniqueness that AI has, but still a top notch album

5.  Dookie - skipped 2.  This is the album that got it all started.  It was fresh and unique and fun.  It still is.

6. Tre - skipped 4.  This was my first surprise.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised with an album that starts with Brutal Love.

7. Dos - skipped 5.  This was my second surprise.  I love some of the songs that others hate, such as NIghtlife and Fuck Time, so that is what probably pushed this higher than I thought

8. Uno - skipped 6.  Before I did this, I probably would have said that Uno was the best of the trilogy, but after looking at it, I do think it is the weakest.  It has some great tracks, but alot of fillers as well.

9. Nimrod - skipped 7 - I was actually surprised at how low this was.  I would have put it above the trilogy, but realized that I do skip alot of the songs on it.

10.  Insomniac - skipped 8.  I actually like more of the songs on Insomniac that I thought.  This is still where I would have put it anyway.

11. Kerplunk - skipped 10.  I actually liked less songs than I originally thought.  It is still a good segue to bigger and better things

12. 1039 - skipped 21 - other than Paper Lanterns and Knowledge, this whole album is nothing but an idea of the talent that lies ahead.   

4 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

12. 1039 - skipped 21 - other than Paper Lanterns and Knowledge, this whole album is nothing but an idea of the talent that lies ahead. 

How do you skip 21 if there's only 19 tracks? :lol:

5 minutes ago, Big Cheese said:

How do you skip 21 if there's only 19 tracks? :lol:

I included the bonus tracks.  Or I felt the need to skip some twice

2 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I included the bonus tracks

Oh, right. :lol:

I was just giving you shit! I hope you didn't take it the wrong way that I was being an asshole or something!

4 minutes ago, Big Cheese said:

Oh, right. :lol:

I was just giving you shit! I hope you didn't take it the wrong way that I was being an asshole or something!

No, not at all.  That is why I edited it!  

Just now, Scattered Wreck said:

No, not at all.  That is why I edited it!  

Haha, alright! Just making sure!

I decided to make this list based on how many songs from the respective albums are on my very special playlist.

Nimrod - I love the general sound of Nimrod. It's experimental, and that somehow catches my attention. Worth mentioning is that the song Platypus is my so called "angry song".

Insomniac - It's consistently good throughout the entire album. Songs like Stuck With Me are underrated. I love Insomniac.

Dookie - How can one possibly not love Dookie?

American Idiot - AI will always hold a very special place in my heart.

Revolution Radio - I like most of the songs on RevRad. It's a great album, but doesn't stand out enough to make the top of the list.

Warning - Warning is a good album, I don't have much to say about it. I love some of the songs, others not as much.

Kerplunk - Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?, Christie Road, Welcome To Paradise and Private Ale are probably my favorite songs from Kerplunk. The album feels raw IMO, and that's also why I prefer Kerplunk's Welcome To Paradise.

1039/SOSH - I need to give this album some love. There are some well-written songs and would easily give my right arm to see Green Day live during this era.

21st Century Breakdown - I honestly have no idea why 21CB ended up so far down on this list. I like the album, but I guess not as much as the rest of them.

¡Tré!

¡Uno! - I don't like the trilogy. While there are some good songs, the albums overall aren't good enough.

¡Dos!

This is quite entertaining to read these. Haushinka has an awesome ranking, love how you said Insomniac is all killer, no filler. You damn right!! I find all the 90's albums are all killer no filler. With the exception of tracks like Last Ride In, which is a cool recording!

1. 21st Century Breakdown- One of the only albums I can listen to all the way through and never get tired of it. Also the best tours they have ever done in my opinion.

2. American Idiot- The masterpiece that introduced me to Green Day and got me interested in music in the first place.

3. Revolution Radio- An incredible comeback for the band after the trilogy. Very diverse songs that give me the chills whenever I hear them. Can't wait to see the upcoming tour.

4. Nimrod- Easily the most diverse album they have to offer. Not one bad song on the entire album. 

5. Dookie- The classic breakthrough album. Don't really need to say more about this one.

6. Insomniac- By far the most underrated Green Day album. The pure anger and energy in these songs is incredible.

7. ¡Trè!- My favorite of the trilogy. Brutal Love, and X-Kid are among some of my favorite songs. Had potential but tracks like A Little Boy Named Train really brought it down.

8. ¡Uno!- Only slightly behind ¡Trè!. Even though these albums are so far down the list I still love them. This album just lacks a certain feeling to it and I can't put my finger on it. Nuclear Family was such a great opening track that led into three albums of just decent (and some subpar) material with a few gems here and there. 

9. Warning- Once upon a time my favorite Green Day album but for whatever reason as time went on it hasn't held up for me personally. Still find myself listening to it every so often but nowhere near as much as when I first bought it.

10. Shenanigans- I'll put it here even though it's a compilation because it still flows like an album. There are some incredible songs on here and some eh songs. 

11. Kerplunk- The album that they really started to find the sound that would make them household names shortly after. Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? is my personal favorite pre-Dookie song. 

12. 39/smooth- More of an interesting look at the early talent of the band that would achieve worldwide fame a few years later than a truly enjoyable listen. There a few great tracks though. 

13. ¡Dos!- When this album was first released I was blinded by how big of a fan of the band I am. I didn't want to admit my favorite band released an overall bad album. Yes it has Lazy Bones, Fuck Time, and Stray Heart (Amy is ok too). But that's about it in my eyes. See You Tonight is my least favorite thing they have ever released and Billie's vocal filter on Nightlife kills me. I can even tolerate the rapping on that one. By far their weakest release overall.

Archived