Jump to content
Liam

Green Day Q&A Thread

Recommended Posts

jengd

The consensus seems to 5’7” whatever that is in metric 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hermione

Billie claims 5'8" ("I'm only about 5'8" he said) but I think that's only in his dreams :P. The consensus of 5'7" seems accurate, he's about an inch taller than Tre and no more than 2 or 3 inches shorter than Mike. So yeah he'd be about 1.70 m

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nightlife

I was just discussing lyrics in another thread and it made me think of Nice Guys Finish Last. English isn't my first language so my question is; what the fuck does "pressure cooker pick my brain" mean?! I get the rest of the song but that one line I don't understand at all. I understand the individual words of it but WHAT DOES IT ACTUALLY MEAN? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beerjeezus
5 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

I was just discussing lyrics in another thread and it made me think of Nice Guys Finish Last. English isn't my first language so my question is; what the fuck does "pressure cooker pick my brain" mean?! I get the rest of the song but that one line I don't understand at all. I understand the individual words of it but WHAT DOES IT ACTUALLY MEAN? 

I had the same question for a long time and then I figured out that "pick someone's brain" means (to ask someone questions in order to find out what they know about something) but what does a pressure cooker have to do with it??? It must be some wordplay?

And don't get started on how long it took me to understand Hitchin A Ride. :lol: One day I picked up this huge dictionary and it was a revelation of a lifetime lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nightlife
3 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I had the same question for a long time and then I figured out that "pick someone's brain" means (to ask someone questions in order to find out what they know about something) but what does a pressure cooker have to do with it??? It must be some wordplay?

And don't get started on how long it took me to understand Hitchin A Ride. :lol: One day I picked up this huge dictionary and it was a revelation of a lifetime lol

Yeah same, I get the pick my brain part but what's up with the pressure cooker??????? I've spent way too many hours wondering about this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beerjeezus
Just now, Nightlife said:

Yeah same, I get the pick my brain part but what's up with the pressure cooker??????? I've spent way too many hours wondering about this. 

Yes, exactly!!! It must be something - I'd be so disappointed if it was random after all that thinking about it. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pacejunkie punk
3 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

Yeah same, I get the pick my brain part but what's up with the pressure cooker??????? I've spent way too many hours wondering about this. 

A pressure cooker just describes a high stress environment and “pick my brain and tell me I’m insane” is him asking himself if he’s stressed out or going crazy, kind of a similar idea to Basket Case.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beerjeezus
6 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I'd never heard this before it came up discussing the song in the past but apparently "pressure cooker" can be a slang term for a psychiatrist/shrink. Before that I thought it was just the high stress situation thing too but that makes a lot of sense, like he's telling the shrink to pick his brain and tell him he's insane (although I think he probably also chose to use that particular phrase to bring to mind pressure/stress so it's a bit of both).

:o mind blown etc

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Blayr

I'd been wondering about that pressure cooker line lately too and I haven't even been on gdc 😂. I'm so in sync with all the Green Day fans of the world lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jengd

I have seen a couple of things recently about a memorial concert for Pete Shelley (Buzzcocks) and all quote Billie as saying that he, Mike and Tre covered Ever Fallen In Love With Someone as best they could.  I have never heard this but know Billie did an acoustic version when Pete died.  I can find Billie's version (which is great by the way if you missed it) and a crappy phone version of the full band but does anyone know of a better version lurking anywhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pouty bitch
1 hour ago, jengd said:

I have seen a couple of things recently about a memorial concert for Pete Shelley (Buzzcocks) and all quote Billie as saying that he, Mike and Tre covered Ever Fallen In Love With Someone as best they could.  I have never heard this but know Billie did an acoustic version when Pete died.  I can find Billie's version (which is great by the way if you missed it) and a crappy phone version of the full band but does anyone know of a better version lurking anywhere?

I think that crappy phone recording on Youtube is the only version online unfortunately.:( What bothers me even more is the fact that they played it at Reading Festival in 2004, which was pro shot but only a few of the songs from the set were actually aired and the Buzzcocks cover wasn't one of them, so there's probably some pro shot footage of it out there that we might never see.:cry:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pacejunkie punk

Anyone have any idea what “dead skin on trial” means? Has he ever said? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beerjeezus
20 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Anyone have any idea what “dead skin on trial” means? Has he ever said? 

I have a feeling it's connected to "tattooes of memories"...tattooes are permanent in contrast with "dead skin on trial". But I can't make a good guess of what he meant by dead skin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pacejunkie punk
10 minutes ago, Marki. said:

I wish Billie gave explanations to more of his lyrics, it's always really interesting to hear them. 

I always thought of "tattoos of memories" as referring to nice memories you want to hold on to and "dead skin on trial" as referring to the moments you scrutinize your decisions/things you did in the past, beat yourself up for past mistakes ("dead skin") and put yourself metaphorically "on trial". And then it's followed by "for what it's worth, it was worth all the while", which is a kind of reassurance, stating that it's not worth it to beat yourself up over the past.

Oh I really like that, so like the opposite of “tattoos of memories” it’s the ink that reminds you of mistakes or bad times. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asik
14 minutes ago, Marki. said:

I wish Billie gave explanations to more of his lyrics, it's always really interesting to hear them. 

I always thought of "tattoos of memories" as referring to nice memories you want to hold on to and "dead skin on trial" as referring to the moments you scrutinize your decisions/things you did in the past, beat yourself up for past mistakes ("dead skin") and put yourself metaphorically "on trial". And then it's followed by "for what it's worth, it was worth all the while", which is a kind of reassurance, stating that it's not worth it to beat yourself up over the past.

Not sure, but dead skin might be a reference to molting of insects/crayfish etc, when they leave their old skin behind, and evolve/move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goofygoldfish
4 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Anyone have any idea what “dead skin on trial” means? Has he ever said? 

I always interpreted this... Tattoos are pretty permanent, so remind you of events and times gone by, good or bad. Dead skin on trial, I associated with the tattoos and skin they're on, that those memories and tattoos themselves may not be ones you wish to revisit. If you decide (by trial!) that you no longer want to be reminded of something, you can get them removed or as Billie does, covered. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Green Day In Seattle

While we're talking about lyrics, what the heck is up with "You made your bed in salad..."?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nightlife
30 minutes ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

While we're talking about lyrics, what the heck is up with "You made your bed in salad..."?

From Wikipedia: 

Salad days is a Shakespearean idiomaticexpression meaning a youthful time, accompanied by the inexperience, enthusiasm, idealism, innocence, or indiscretion that one associates with a young person. A more modern use, especially in the United States, refers to a heyday, a period when somebody was at the peak of their abilities—not necessarily in that person's youth. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beerjeezus

This thing he does when he throws in a line like salad days or the scarlet letter or "future ain't just what it used to be" is just sneaky. It's not the kind of influences you'd expect to hear in pop-punk lyrics and at first sight it sometimes looks like he's grouping random words together. :P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jengd

And I love that he mixes it up, two well know phrases like "made your bed, now lie in it" and "salad days" and he's brought them together, he's awesome!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeJennsitized

A lot of the times with Billie's lyrics I think "god that sounds so good but I don't understand it" :lol: never knew that about pressure cooker, that's really cool - I just assumed he was referring to himself as a pressure cooker, and that 'pick my brain' was a new sentence. 😛 Dead skin on trial always got me though. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×