Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

Which Dookie era show was it where Billie wore a clown outfit (for the whole show I believe)? Want to watch it again and can't remember.

How did the Dookie demos surface? The sound quality leads me to think that the source tape was low quality but there's pretty big chance that there is higher quality demos somewhere either in the band's archive or in locked away in an collecter's collection. Another question rised by these demos is who got a hold of these demos? Did someone who worked on the album get a copy of the demo before leaking it, or was it some friend of the band who got the demos before spreading it? I think we will 9/10 never get any more info on the demo tape we do have. We're not even sure if there's more demos no one aside from the band know existed.

On 12/26/2018 at 4:34 PM, Hermione said:

Which Dookie era show was it where Billie wore a clown outfit (for the whole show I believe)? Want to watch it again and can't remember.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:11 AM, QuestionMarkWithQuestions said:

How did the Dookie demos surface? The sound quality leads me to think that the source tape was low quality but there's pretty big chance that there is higher quality demos somewhere either in the band's archive or in locked away in an collecter's collection. Another question rised by these demos is who got a hold of these demos? Did someone who worked on the album get a copy of the demo before leaking it, or was it some friend of the band who got the demos before spreading it? I think we will 9/10 never get any more info on the demo tape we do have. We're not even sure if there's more demos no one aside from the band know existed.

The Dookie demo was recorded in late spring of 1993. I have the original files that ALL circulating copies online have originated from and they are 30MB of M4a files, so yes, the quality sucks. A selection of these demos was circulated within Warner on cassette, but the full demo that we have now was most likely from a friend of the band and eventually worked its way online in the early-mid 2000's. Even the band's first 1988/89 Sweet Children demo was given out to friends... The only reason that hasn't surfaced yet is because none of those friends have chosen to share it. And there's no reason to think that we won't get more info about the Dookie demo, I've talked to one of the engineers from the sessions and a friend of the band who watched them record it. It's not hard to get info on the demo, it's just not easy to find someone with an upgrade to the audio. The people close to Green Day who have old demo cassettes don't want to piss off the band by sharing stuff online. They're not sure if what they have is already online or not, and they don't want to be responsible for sharing something that wasn't supposed to be shared with the world. You can't blame them for being careful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Todd said:

The Dookie demo was recorded in late spring of 1993. I have the original files that ALL circulating copies online have originated from and they are 30MB of M4a files, so yes, the quality sucks. A selection of these demos was circulated within Warner on cassette, but the full demo that we have now was most likely from a friend of the band and eventually worked its way online in the early-mid 2000's. Even the band's first 1988/89 Sweet Children demo was given out to friends... The only reason that hasn't surfaced yet is because none of those friends have chosen to share it. And there's no reason to think that we won't get more info about the Dookie demo, I've talked to one of the engineers from the sessions and a friend of the band who watched them record it. It's not hard to get info on the demo, it's just not easy to find someone with an upgrade to the audio. The people close to Green Day who have old demo cassettes don't want to piss off the band by sharing stuff online. They're not sure if what they have is already online or not, and they don't want to be responsible for sharing something that wasn't supposed to be shared with the world. You can't blame them for being careful.

Thanks for the info. Friends of any band will most likely keep the demos to themselves so any friend to a massive band like Green Day would not post their demos online.

I have another question: was Haushinka recorded or attempted during the Dookie sessions? We know it was recorded for the demo but what about for the album? I think it was scrapped before recording began but who knows if they tried recording it  but went on without it or if it was fully recorded but not finished with mixing and all that. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, QuestionMarkWithQuestions said:

Thanks for the info. Friends of any band will most likely keep the demos to themselves so any friend to a massive band like Green Day would not post their demos online.

I have another question: was Haushinka recorded or attempted during the Dookie sessions? We know it was recorded for the demo but what about for the album? I think it was scrapped before recording began but who knows if they tried recording it  but went on without it or if it was fully recorded but not finished with mixing and all that. 

That I don’t know! Good question

Has anybody ever seen a picture of a tattoo that Billie has done on somebody else? I’m curious to know what his tattoo art looks like (other than his own simple ones he’s done on himself like punx and 80.) 

Does anyone else find the Dookie sessions rather mysterious? For years, i thought we had everything from the sessions until the idea that maybe Haushinka was recorded at these sessions. Now i think there are more songs we have not heard. Dookie was recorded at a time where the band was on the verge of breaking into the mainstream so they had to make a good album.

This is where things get odd. Green Day recorded new songs for Dookie but also recorded Welcome To Paradise and 409 in Your Coffeemaker off Kerplunk and the Slappy ep. If they recorded songs from their previous albums, who's to say they recorded some more. Actually i've heard some rumors that 2000 light years away was considered or recorded for Dookie so it's not weird to think Christie Road or Going To Pasalacqua were at one point on Dookie. Also songs like Good Riddence or When It's Time could have been considered or recorded in some form as both were written either before or during the Dookie sessions. There's no way in hell either song would end up on Dookie if they were even recorded.

The Dookie sessions might be more of a mystery than Cigarettes and Valentines. We might never know the true number of songs considered or recorded during these sessions let alone a leak of these recordings.

28 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Has anybody ever seen a picture of a tattoo that Billie has done on somebody else? I’m curious to know what his tattoo art looks like (other than his own simple ones he’s done on himself like punx and 80.) 

I think this is the tattoo in that picture. I also seem to think Billie said sometime that it flaked straight off!

• Haha 1

^^^ Thanks! I don’t remember seeing him post that. Funny how he refers to it as his portfolio. Pretty slim portfolio 😂  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don't have a picture now but I remember when Billie told the story on stage of how he tattooed the lead singer of Kaiser Chiefs Ricky Wilson while on tour (just a plain little arrow on his leg). But later Ricky said in an interview that it like scabbed over and fell off. So going by that and the evidence above I believe his tattoos are basic and low quality :P 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jane Lannister said:

Somehow I don't want Billie to tattoo me anymore :mellow:

My tattoo heart is crying right now :( would love his art but not the shit quality that would scab off 😂

• Haha 1

Just now, Jane Lannister said:

Somehow I don't want Billie to tattoo me anymore :mellow:

I think he did it with pen ink or something as well (I'll have to find the Before the Lobotomy story about it, it all sounded quite shady). He basically does prison tattoos so I wouldn't want him anywhere near me with a tattoo gun

• Haha 4

Just now, Hermione said:

I think he did it with pen ink or something as well (I'll have to find the Before the Lobotomy story about it, it all sounded quite shady). He basically does prison tattoos so I wouldn't want him anywhere near me with a tattoo gun

Like my sweet prison tat? Billie Joe did it 😂

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, QuestionMarkWithQuestions said:

Does anyone else find the Dookie sessions rather mysterious? For years, i thought we had everything from the sessions until the idea that maybe Haushinka was recorded at these sessions. Now i think there are more songs we have not heard. Dookie was recorded at a time where the band was on the verge of breaking into the mainstream so they had to make a good album.

This is where things get odd. Green Day recorded new songs for Dookie but also recorded Welcome To Paradise and 409 in Your Coffeemaker off Kerplunk and the Slappy ep. If they recorded songs from their previous albums, who's to say they recorded some more. Actually i've heard some rumors that 2000 light years away was considered or recorded for Dookie so it's not weird to think Christie Road or Going To Pasalacqua were at one point on Dookie. Also songs like Good Riddence or When It's Time could have been considered or recorded in some form as both were written either before or during the Dookie sessions. There's no way in hell either song would end up on Dookie if they were even recorded.

The Dookie sessions might be more of a mystery than Cigarettes and Valentines. We might never know the true number of songs considered or recorded during these sessions let alone a leak of these recordings.

They also recorded Monk’s Keys (Rox Yer Ass), On the Wagon, and Tired of Waiting for You. But for every album after Kerplunk, there’s sure to be outtakes and unreleased tracks because the band could afford to record as many songs as they wanted in the studio. 

Sooo I was listening to ¡TRÉ! , and I listened to "Drama Queen" and I had no fucking idea what the meaning is of it so I was hoping someone could help with that??? 

My theory is that it's about young child stars and actors and how they are forced to grow up so quickly ("she's old enough to bleed now") and societal reaction to it. 

My fiance theorized that it was based upon Billie's teen years and his first sexual relationship and how that changed his image of women from that point on. 

Anyone have any theories or know the actual meaning?? 

4 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Sooo I was listening to ¡TRÉ! , and I listened to "Drama Queen" and I had no fucking idea what the meaning is of it so I was hoping someone could help with that??? 

My theory is that it's about young child stars and actors and how they are forced to grow up so quickly ("she's old enough to bleed now") and societal reaction to it. 

My fiance theorized that it was based upon Billie's teen years and his first sexual relationship and how that changed his image of women from that point on. 

Anyone have any theories or know the actual meaning?? 

Billie mentioned he wrote it about Lindsay Lohan and all her drama 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Back when the song was originally going to be on 21st CB (replaced by Murder City at the last minute) Billie said this about it (from here😞 "It's about obsession with celebrity and watching people self-destruct. A lot of Americans have a tabloid addiction. Am I guilty of that? Yeah.". And there was also a better quote about it that I can't find where he said something along the lines of it was about how young female celebrities are exploited by the entertainment industry and their families, so I think you're spot on!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

Back when the song was originally going to be on 21st CB (replaced by Murder City at the last minute) Billie said this about it (from here😞 "It's about obsession with celebrity and watching people self-destruct. A lot of Americans have a tabloid addiction. Am I guilty of that? Yeah.". And there was also a better quote about it that I can't find where he said something along the lines of it was about how young female celebrities are exploited by the entertainment industry and their families, so I think you're spot on!

I agree with Billie that young female celebrities are exploited, even just young females in general. This was an interesting find, thank you @Hermione! :)

I have another stupid question, but does anyone have the link to the 2016 Rolling Stone interview with Billie? I'm curious about his addiction and how he got through it! 

5 minutes ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

I have another stupid question, but does anyone have the link to the 2016 Rolling Stone interview with Billie? I'm curious about his addiction and how he got through it! 

Not sure if you meant 2013 but that and the 2016 one can be found here:

http://www.greendayauthority.com/articles/magazine/rollingstone/

• Like 1

Anyone know why 24/96 digital masters of any pre dookie material, haven't been made available yet? It seems overdue for an HD lossless source. Considering that almost their entire catalogue is now out there in 24bit. What Tre said about the master tapes being fragile doesn't really hold up anymore. As I'm sure there's digital backups stored somewhere. I'd love to hear Kerplunk in 24bit, sometime haha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fatherotti said:

Anyone know why 24/96 digital masters of any pre dookie material, haven't been made available yet? It seems overdue for an HD lossless source. Considering that almost their entire catalogue is now out there in 24bit. What Tre said about the master tapes being fragile doesn't really hold up anymore. As I'm sure there's digital backups stored somewhere. I'd love to hear Kerplunk in 24bit, sometime haha.

Also, I believe there are multiple copies of the master tapes. So even if one set was in bad condition, there are others. John said he has master tapes at his place. 

• Like 2