Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

Stupid question, but I know Tré does most backing vocals for Green Day. Has Mike ever sang in any songs? If so, which ones? 

16 minutes ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Stupid question, but I know Tré does most backing vocals for Green Day. Has Mike ever sang in any songs? If so, which ones? 

Mike actually does the backing vocals.

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, squashie09 said:

Mike actually does the backing vocals.

Thank you thank you you beautiful soul! I had no idea! 

10 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

There was just a conversation about what Mike sings on this thread, a page back, you will get more details there.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

What exactly is "Green Daze Music"? 

It's Green Day's publishing name to how they get paid for royalties. 

Could also be a tribute band as @Jane Lannister said. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, squashie09 said:

It's Green Day's publishing name to how they get paid for royalties. 

Yep, meant that one, the one that is written on all the albums and under lyrics when you google them... why is that necessary? Couldn't their publishing name be just "Green Day"?

1 minute ago, Billie Hoe said:

Yep, meant that one, the one that is written on all the albums and under lyrics when you google them... why is that necessary? Couldn't their publishing name be just "Green Day"?

I'm not sure why they can't or didn't use "Green Day", I'm guessing it was for legal & tax reasons. Green Daze Music is probably registered as an LLC (limited liability company).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Okay...does this mean my shirt that credits "Green Day, inc" is fake? What a PLOT TWIST :o

I honestly don’t know, but I’m going to assume that “green daze music” is strictly for their music publishing so they can receive their royalties, and “Green Day inc” could be the over arching business name for all of their ventures (music/studio/rehearsal spaces, merch, Oakland coffee etc.). 

Lee Bothwick has “works for Green Day, inc.” in his Instagram bio, so it has to be a real thing since he is employed by them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, squashie09 said:

I honestly don’t know, but I’m going to assume that “green daze music” is strictly for their music publishing so they can receive their royalties, and “Green Day inc” could be the over arching business name for all of their ventures (music/studio/rehearsal spaces, merch, Oakland coffee etc.). 

Lee Bothwick has “works for Green Day, inc.” in his Instagram bio, so it has to be a real thing since he is employed by them. 

Interesting. There must be a reason to keep the business in separate firms. What I find interesting is that they don't seem to own the band name as a trade mark because other businesses use the name even though the band was first.

6 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Green Daze is for the music publishing

Green Day Inc is for the whole business side

Can you explain why it's necessary and/or beneficial for them to be separate? Why can't Green Daze just be a division of Green Day without being its own entity?

7 minutes ago, Tree. said:

Can you explain why it's necessary and/or beneficial for them to be separate? Why can't Green Daze just be a division of Green Day without being its own entity?

Cause publishing is only in regards to royalties and copyrights 

where as if say a t shirt company wanted to make Green Day shirts well that would have nothing to do with music publishing so it would make no sense in doing so 

they could have named the business side as Green Daze as well as nothing is stopping them but they chose to keep it easy and simple with Green Day Inc 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

(Apologize if this has been mentioned already). So, I saw the other day that Billie confirmed he's writing new songs for Green Day. Does that mean they'll be touring soon(like either next year(2019) or in 2020)? Just wanna be somewhat sure so I can save up enough $ for pit tickets.

would they have a new album out before a tour? Still somewhat a newer fan i became one right around August of 2016. :3

Edited by The_real_st_jimmy
typo

Just now, The_real_st_jimmy said:

(Apologize if this has been mentioned already). So, I saw the other day that Billie confirmed he's writing new songs for Green Day. Does that mean they'll be touring soon(like either next year(2019) or in 2020)? Just wanna be somewhat sure so I can save up enough $ for pit tickets

Hopefully. Nothing has been confirmed officially yet. @pacejunkie punk theorized that we will most likely get an album in April of 2019, but it's all just speculation right now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Hopefully. Nothing has been confirmed officially yet. @pacejunkie punk theorized that we will most likely get an album in April of 2019, but it's all just speculation right now. 

Oh ok cool. Yeah i'm looking forward to whenever the new songs will be out

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The_real_st_jimmy said:

(Apologize if this has been mentioned already). So, I saw the other day that Billie confirmed he's writing new songs for Green Day. Does that mean they'll be touring soon(like either next year(2019) or in 2020)? Just wanna be somewhat sure so I can save up enough $ for pit tickets.

would they have a new album out before a tour? Still somewhat a newer fan i became one right around August of 2016. :3

No one really knows but all signs point to an album some time in 2019 and the pattern is album then tour so a tour would soon follow. Best guess is to save your money for a tour in 2020 if not sooner (late 2019 maybe?). Just my spec nothing more.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

No one really knows but all signs point to an album some time in 2019 and the pattern is album then tour so a tour would soon follow. Best guess is to save your money for a tour in 2020 if not sooner (late 2019 maybe?). Just my spec nothing more.

Thanks. Yeah i was getting a feeling it may be in 2019 around the same time as Rev Rad came out. And I'll be doing that, seeing them live is the best feeling ever(other than the new album😄

• Like 2

Yeah "writing songs" is cool to know but it doesn't mean much in terms of time frame because they can work on writing songs and play around in the studio as long as they want (like, years possibly). When they announce they're specifically working on a new album is more exciting. And then it's usually like, some hints and hype about the album, you find out the name etc, then they announce the release date, and usually announce a tour and sell tickets and possibly play some more short notice small warm up shows around the time it comes out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hermione said:

Yeah "writing songs" is cool to know but it doesn't mean much in terms of time frame because they can work on writing songs and play around in the studio as long as they want (like, years possibly). When they announce they're specifically working on a new album is more exciting. And then it's usually like, some hints and hype about the album, you find out the name etc, then they announce the release date, and usually announce a tour and sell tickets and possibly play some more short notice small warm up shows around the time it comes out.

All true but at the same time I get the feeling he wouldn’t have the confidence to say “I’m writing GD songs now” unless he really felt he was on to something as opposed to the kind of aimless noodling around he might otherwise be doing. He writes all the time but doesn’t always make an announcement of that fact. That tells me he feels like this stuff is headed somewhere and he feels good about it. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

All true but at the same time I get the feeling he wouldn’t have the confidence to say “I’m writing GD songs now” unless he really felt he was on to something as opposed to the kind of aimless noodling around he might otherwise be doing. He writes all the time but doesn’t always make an announcement of that fact. That tells me he feels like this stuff is headed somewhere and he feels good about it. 

Oh yeah true, it's definitely a good sign and I'd be very surprised if it took as long as 21st CB. Just can't really work out an actual timeframe from it

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 9:42 PM, maryjanewhatsername said:

Kerplunk! (1991) – drums, guitar and lead vocals on "Dominated Love Slave"

Dookie (1994) – drums, guitar and vocals on "All by Myself"

Insomniac (1995) – drums

Nimrod (1997) – drums, backing vocals

Warning (2000) – drums, accordion

American Idiot (2004) – drums, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Rock and Roll Girlfriend"

Bullet in a Bible (2005) – drums, backing vocals

21st Century Breakdown (2009) – drums

Awesome as Fuck (2011) – drums, backing vocals

¡Uno! (2012) – drums

¡Dos! (2012) – drums

¡Tré! (2012) – drums

Revolution Radio (2016) – drums

and then Mike:  

39/Smooth (1990) – bass guitar, backing vocals

Kerplunk! (1991) – bass guitar, backing vocals

Dookie (1994) – bass guitar, backing vocals

Insomniac (1995) – bass guitar, backing vocals

Nimrod (1997) – bass guitar, backing vocals, baseball bat (as written in the album's liner notes)

Warning (2000) – bass guitar, backing vocals, farfisa on "Misery"

American Idiot (2004) – bass guitar, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Nobody Likes You" and the non-album track "Governator"

21st Century Breakdown (2009) – bass guitar, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Modern World"

¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré! Trilogy (2012) – bass guitar, backing vocals and lead vocals on part of "Sex, Drugs and Violence"

Revolution Radio (2016) - bass guitar, backing vocals

Mike has done backing vocals on every release, and Tre has done backing vocals on Nimrod and American Idiot.  

On 12/13/2018 at 7:26 PM, maryjanewhatsername said:

four months from now?  That would great but......

• Love 1

10 hours ago, That Dude said:

Kerplunk! (1991) – drums, guitar and lead vocals on "Dominated Love Slave"

Dookie (1994) – drums, guitar and vocals on "All by Myself"

Insomniac (1995) – drums

Nimrod (1997) – drums, backing vocals

Warning (2000) – drums, accordion

American Idiot (2004) – drums, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Rock and Roll Girlfriend"

Bullet in a Bible (2005) – drums, backing vocals

21st Century Breakdown (2009) – drums

Awesome as Fuck (2011) – drums, backing vocals

¡Uno! (2012) – drums

¡Dos! (2012) – drums

¡Tré! (2012) – drums

Revolution Radio (2016) – drums

and then Mike:  

39/Smooth (1990) – bass guitar, backing vocals

Kerplunk! (1991) – bass guitar, backing vocals

Dookie (1994) – bass guitar, backing vocals

Insomniac (1995) – bass guitar, backing vocals

Nimrod (1997) – bass guitar, backing vocals, baseball bat (as written in the album's liner notes)

Warning (2000) – bass guitar, backing vocals, farfisa on "Misery"

American Idiot (2004) – bass guitar, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Nobody Likes You" and the non-album track "Governator"

21st Century Breakdown (2009) – bass guitar, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Modern World"

¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré! Trilogy (2012) – bass guitar, backing vocals and lead vocals on part of "Sex, Drugs and Violence"

Revolution Radio (2016) - bass guitar, backing vocals

Mike has done backing vocals on every release, and Tre has done backing vocals on Nimrod and American Idiot.  

Can we just say you are a blessed human?? Thank you!!

• Like 1