Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

29 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

He mentioned that and Butch forcing him to write lyrics to Restless Heart in the Guitar World article on 21st

Thank you for that.  Here's a link to that page.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know what is that movie where Robert Pattinson or a guy next to him, if I'm right, mentioned Green Day? 

• Hermione changed the title to Green Day Q&A Thread

Wikipedia has both Billie and Jason Freese listed for the piano parts of 21CB; anyone know who did what parts?

Looking at the thread with the fanart enamel pin got me thinking — does anyone know why the song is called Platypus?

2 minutes ago, Montclare said:

Thanks! Not sure about the journalist though. I thought it was about Tim Yohanan who wouldn’t let them play at Gilman because they were too pop, apparently was a complete asshole to them and died of cancer. That’s what I heard not sure which story is true.

I also read somewhere that he called it Platypus because a platypus was the ugliest thing he could think of at the time, so it fit in with the angriness of the song.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Thanks! Not sure about the journalist though. I thought it was about Tim Yohanan who wouldn’t let them play at Gilman because they were too pop, apparently was a complete asshole to them and died of cancer. That’s what I heard not sure which story is true.

It was about Tim (per Billie's tweet).  He was also the founder of Maximum RocknRoll fanzine who weren't exactly fans of Green Day.

7 minutes ago, Montclare said:

It was about Tim (per Billie's tweet).  He was also the founder of Maximum RocknRoll fanzine who weren't exactly fans of Green Day.

Oh, so maybe they just described him as a “journalist” but that’s him.

I was listening to some BBB sessions today, and I noticed they were edited as fuck:

For example, Brain Stew has layered guitars and layered vocals. Is it a recording session, live session or the mix of both?

• 2 weeks later...

I heard on tumblr that Billie has apparently been introducing himself as "Diesel" at Longshot shows. Who knows about this? Is it true?

Hi there! I'm translating and studying every Green Day lyrics and I have some question to english native speakers. I can't understand every line, because the meaning is often complex and few words aren't enough to complete understanding. It depends on the context and sometimes it's even hard to find it and then cope with slogans and wordplays... .

Could you resolve my doubts, because I'm not a native speaker

1. Green Day - 'Vegging on one detail'. Does it mean chill out (smoking weed) and thinking only about the one thing (the one detail = weed). 'The rest just crowds around' - I'm not exactly sure - people, his friends who want to chill out are gathering (?) or imaginary things that are supposed to gather (?)

2. Going to Pasalacqua - 'I'm in for nasty weather but I'll take whatever you can give'. Is the subject going to have a trouble and he want to deal with the adversity and he takes everything 'that comes my way' - what would help him / is next to him (?)

3. 16 - Ask myself why they had to change. Were they obliged to change something (the time has changed them (?)) 

3. Rest - 'The gleam in your mind it troubles my mind. Does the gleam in her eyes just embarrass him (because he is so beautiful), or is he frightened (what is that kind of trouble)? Will I see it again? So I can rest my head'. Want he put his head down on her or want he just relax (rest = relax, calm down)

4. Rest - Angel! Dancing away, as all of my thoughts get rearranged. Is the angel (a girl) dancing happily or what? I don't understand 'away' in it. And her, quick movements caused the mess in his mind (?) Angel! Turning away, just when thing seem to have changed, close problem

Those are the lines I have difficulty with. I understand it in my way, but the hardest thing is to translate it and maintain the meaning. I understand the overall meaning but not the details. I spend a lot of time translating and if I don't understand something I won't make up. I want my translating to be elegant and consistent - that's what I focus on. I'd be grateful if you will help me. I'm arleady finished with 39 smooth, but I must fill in the blank fields. I don't know how many native speakers is over here but that's the best place to approach. Thanks!

Edited by Finnsch

13 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I heard on tumblr that Billie has apparently been introducing himself as "Diesel" at Longshot shows. Who knows about this? Is it true?

He’s been introducing the band with suede names since the 1234 Go! show. Kevin is Peaches, David is Kitty, Billie is Disel and Jeff is Gary. See Admirla Needa’s video from the 1234 show. I think he does it right at the start of turn me loose. It’s quite funny.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squashie09 said:

He’s been introducing the band with suede names since the 1234 Go! show. Kevin is Peaches, David is Kitty, Billie is Disel and Jeff is Gary. See Admirla Needa’s video from the 1234 show. I think he does it right at the start of turn me loose. It’s quite funny.

Brilliant :lol:, I'm very happy to hear this.

Great :lol:. I like how he's obsessed with talking about where people are from as usual too.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2018 at 5:20 PM, T@l said:

I was listening to some BBB sessions today, and I noticed they were edited as fuck:

For example, Brain Stew has layered guitars and layered vocals. Is it a recording session, live session or the mix of both?

Like a mix they record live but will do overdubs 

not sure how they do it now but when Nirvana did theirs in the 90’s they recordeded the sessions on tape they would then mix the sessions down and mix them onto another reel which would be used for broadcast and the masters would then be demagnetized (which means erased basically) and be reused for another band 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnsch said:

4. Rest - Angel! Dancing away, as all of my thoughts get rearranged. Is the angel (a girl) dancing happily or what? I don't understand 'away' in it. And her, quick movements caused the mess in his mind (?) Angel! Turning away, just when thing seem to have changed, close problem

So pretty much what that means is that the girl is out of reach. She's moving away in the sense that Billie is not any closer to her than he was before.

1 hour ago, Todd said:

So pretty much what that means is that the girl is out of reach. She's moving away in the sense that Billie is not any closer to her than he was before.

Thanks, but what does 'dancing away' mean in english. I can't find any explanation, the function of 'away'. It is exactly what 'go away' but with dance moves? I want to understand profoundly what Billie has written.

I don't write what the songs are about but I translate every line from english to my language

Edited by Finnsch

8 hours ago, Hermione said:

Great :lol:. I like how he's obsessed with talking about where people are from as usual too.

And this was the one from Thee Parkside show.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Finnsch said:

Thanks, but what does 'dancing away' mean in english. I can't find any explanation, the function of 'away'. It is exactly what 'go away' but with dance moves? I want to understand profoundly what Billie has written.

I don't write what the songs are about but I translate every line from english to my language

I’ve always interpreted it as “going away”, but I suppose it could also be interpreted as “dancing hard”. Like sometimes people will say “Look at that guy, he’s working away!” Meaning that they’re working hard, working fast, something like that. So if someone’s really flaunting it on the dance floor, you could say they’re “dancing away”. 

• Thanks 1

Has anybody who’s been to any Longshot shows gotten a tee shirt and know if they run true to size, big or small? I’m trying to plan ahead for a fast run at the merch table. 

I have a question about the official music video for Whatsername which was never released. Did GD initially intend for Whatsername to be a single? Or did they just randomly make a video for it?

2 hours ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I have a question about the official music video for Whatsername which was never released. Did GD initially intend for Whatsername to be a single? Or did they just randomly make a video for it?

I think they just made a vid for it. They already had 5 hit singles on the album. If they were to do another single, there’s no doubt they’d have made it St. Jimmy or Letterbomb. 

• Like 1