Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

So this question is for anyone who has been to any of the recent shows.

The first two times I saw GD the crowd was amazing, and when I was in the pit I was too young/not strong enough to mosh with the big guys. The third time I was looking forward to having another crazy crowd because I can hold my own now, but the crowd was way more tame. I didn't know whether to attribute this to the smaller venue size or if the crowd was getting older. I have pit tix for the next tour, and it's for the venue where I saw the crowd get the rowdiest. What have the crowds been like recently? Because I'm trying to mosh. 

8 minutes ago, youngreendayvet said:

The first two times I saw GD the crowd was amazing, and when I was in the pit I was too young/not strong enough to mosh with the big guys. The third time I was looking forward to having another crazy crowd because I can hold my own now, but the crowd was way more tame. I didn't know whether to attribute this to the smaller venue size or if the crowd was getting older. I have pit tix for the next tour, and it's for the venue where I saw the crowd get the rowdiest. What have the crowds been like recently? Because I'm trying to mosh. 

It looked quite calm at my show - no crowdsurfing and not the kind of moshing you see at punk shows. The closest thing to pit that people did was jumping with their hands up. Or so it seemed to me from the seats. 

It didn't help that the section closest to the stage was half empty until they let people with regular standing in there.

I couldn't really find an answer to this in any of the "Green Day on Tour" Forums, so I'm just gonna ask this here:

Should I make a sign to try and get on stage to sing Longview/KYE? And what should it say? I'm not sure if it will make a difference in the long run. If anyone's been lucky enough to have shared the stage with Green Day, how did you get Billie Joe's attention?

(I'm trying really hard to be in the front, FYI)

4 hours ago, drivenorth said:

I couldn't really find an answer to this in any of the "Green Day on Tour" Forums, so I'm just gonna ask this here:

Should I make a sign to try and get on stage to sing Longview/KYE? And what should it say? I'm not sure if it will make a difference in the long run. If anyone's been lucky enough to have shared the stage with Green Day, how did you get Billie Joe's attention?

@Jon Benjamin how'd you get on stage for Longview?

12 hours ago, drivenorth said:

I'm not sure who it was, but someone shared on GDC that Billie told him "if you bring a sign, I'm not going to pick you" at one of the shows this year :P But I think he did bring up people with signs before, so you never know... I personally wouldn't make one and just consider it luck.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, drivenorth said:

There's no definite answer, but wearing something fun like a onesie or silly glasses might help and he often goes for people with colourful hair too. He likes flags so you could try taking your state flag. Marki is right that he said "if you have a sign I'm not going to pick you" at one show, I think it was Brussels. I'm sure he has picked people with signs before but I wouldn't take one in case he's having a day when he doesn't like them :P 

• Like 2

Another thing that could help is wearing a band shirt that Billie likes. Maybe Cheap Trick, the Clash, Operation Ivy, y'know? And if you want to play the song, practice it at home first :P 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, youngreendayvet said:

I think it just varies from show to show. By far the rowdiest GD pit I've been in was at a smaller venue (3000 people) in 2012, and the other time I saw them in a smaller venue it was rowdy too so I don't think it's that. I found the show I went to in a bigger venue a couple of weeks ago very lively (where I was in front of the catwalk at least), and definitely filled with plenty of young people, from what I could see the demographics in the queue haven't changed much. I think sometimes it's just bad luck that there's less people into moshing/people are less into the show than usual, as far as I know there's still plenty of liveliness to be found at most shows if you're in the right part of the crowd for it.

Haven't actually been right in the pit on this tour though so now I'm curious about it too, for people who have how rowdy was it?

On 2/17/2017 at 0:10 AM, Spike said:

Lifted from GSB so this might be bullshit, but make of it what you will:

Is GeekStinkBreath unreliable?

6 hours ago, FallingFromTheStars said:

Is GeekStinkBreath unreliable?

On 2/17/2017 at 8:25 AM, Todd said:

Impossible because the song was written in 92, way before Green Day toured Japan

In this instance it is. 

On 2/18/2017 at 11:11 AM, Hermione said:

I think it just varies from show to show. By far the rowdiest GD pit I've been in was at a smaller venue (3000 people) in 2012, and the other time I saw them in a smaller venue it was rowdy too so I don't think it's that. I found the show I went to in a bigger venue a couple of weeks ago very lively (where I was in front of the catwalk at least), and definitely filled with plenty of young people, from what I could see the demographics in the queue haven't changed much. I think sometimes it's just bad luck that there's less people into moshing/people are less into the show than usual, as far as I know there's still plenty of liveliness to be found at most shows if you're in the right part of the crowd for it.

Haven't actually been right in the pit on this tour though so now I'm curious about it too, for people who have how rowdy was it?

Thank you very much. It's odd because Philly crowds are usually known for violent, nevertheless rowdy:lol:.

18 hours ago, FallingFromTheStars said:

Will Green Day do B-sides again?

Probably not the days of the singles as we know them are pretty much dead 

now we most likely have to wait for them to release another b side compilation again 

• Like 1

Does anyone know what Billie has modded his LP Junior headstocks to? I haven't been able to make it out in the photos haha

On 2/17/2017 at 10:23 PM, Todd said:

@Jon Benjamin how'd you get on stage for Longview?

Yelling Billie's name out and waving my arms like crazy and the stars aligning perfectly for him to look right where I was at that particular time hah. 

• Like 3

On 04/02/2017 at 6:25 PM, Hermione said:

I know it's legit because I can faintly remember it from when it happened. Don't know exactly where it's from but I think it was while Obama was campaigning to become president in 2008.

Edit: Forget that, found an old GDA post that mentions it. It was at an Obama fundraiser in 2007:

http://www.greendayauthority.com/news/1522/

Wow it really happened?? I'd always thought that was a manip :lol: 

Alright I got one. On the 39/Smooth cassette track one is entitled "At The Library With Waba Se Wasca". Anyone know who that is? Or have they ever seen or noticed this?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2017/feb/27/pop-punk-how-to-write-john-feldmann-green-day-blink-182

"Even if you’re not familiar with his band, you’ll almost certainly have heard some of Feldmann’s work: in recent years he’s become pop-punk’s go-to guy, producing and co-writing for everyone from Green Day and Blink-182 to 5 Seconds of Summer"

Is this true?  And if so, which song did he co-write? 

On 28.02.2017 at 10:15 AM, nothing_wrong_with_me said:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2017/feb/27/pop-punk-how-to-write-john-feldmann-green-day-blink-182

"Even if you’re not familiar with his band, you’ll almost certainly have heard some of Feldmann’s work: in recent years he’s become pop-punk’s go-to guy, producing and co-writing for everyone from Green Day and Blink-182 to 5 Seconds of Summer"

Is this true?  And if so, which song did he co-write? 

Much of the information provided in this article is not really true. Feldmann didn't co-write any of Green Day's songs. And thank goodness for that.

• Like 4

I have a question. What on earth happened on 01/03/2016 that had 1005 users online at once? :lol: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jenn. said:

I have a question. What on earth happened on 01/03/2016 that had 1005 users online at once? :lol: 

that might have been when Billie posted that he wanted to destroy the phrase "pop-punk" in 2016

• Like 1

• Hermione changed the title to Green Day Q&A Thread