Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

Does Angel and the Jerk feature Green Day or just Billie Joe?  The internet seems to vary on it, to me it sounds like the whole band, the only place I can find it on Spotify only credits 'Billy Joe Armstrong'.

9 hours ago, JesusofSuburbia7 said:

Aw, that's disappointing. I got so excited when I thought he was announced as the fourth member. If anyone deserves it, it's him.

Okay so new question: Why don't we hear from Mike and Tre on more songs? Tre specifically contributed a song on Kerplunk and Dookie, and I thought it would be a trend to hear from him once per album, but it stopped after that. I understand (if I'm correct) DUI was supposed to go on Nimrod originally, be we all know what happened. I know he was on American Idiot for a bit, but still. He seems to enjoy doing it, I don't know why we don't hear from him more.

Same goes for Mike. He sung probably half or more of Money Money 2020, yet we don't hear from him much on GD songs aside from B-sides.

I love the variety of having Mike and Tre sing sometimes.

He is the fourth member though, he plays in the band and he's clearly member number 4 after Billie Mike and Tre haha. It is what it is with or without an "official" label. I think they've just been low key about it because he's a low key kind of guy.

I agree, love hearing their songs/singing and would like to hear it more. I guess they're not inspired to write songs as often as Billie! Maybe they're just more interested in concentrating on drums/bass.

Does everyone know the exact brand and model of Billie's all-black sneakers which he wears at every show?

200301_2005-12-14_-_Green_Day_Live_.jpg

3 hours ago, billiejoephil said:

Does everyone know the exact brand and model of Billie's all-black sneakers which he wears at every show?

Those are Converse monochrome low-top Chuck Taylors. He has also worn Draven Wayne shoes quite a bit, but those were discontinued recently I believe. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AutogolazzoJr said:

Are there any live recorded performances of Strangeland (From sweet children EP)? (it's my favorite green day song)

Not as far as I can tell. According to Setlist.fm it was performed exactly once and no recordings from this show exist. Sorry.

22 hours ago, Gwen Stacy said:

Not as far as I can tell. According to Setlist.fm it was performed exactly once and no recordings from this show exist. Sorry.

:(:(Ima blackmail billie then

Wait.

Setlist.fm is wrong. Strangeland was probably never performed.

Edited by AutogolazzoJr

Does anyone know when D.U.I. was recorded? I've heard it mentioned that it was done during the Nimrod sessions but I can't find a source for that.

17 hours ago, Gwen Stacy said:

Does anyone know when D.U.I. was recorded? I've heard it mentioned that it was done during the Nimrod sessions but I can't find a source for that.

it was from the nimrod sessions, there's a topic about unreleased songs from that recording on here and there's a track list

• Like 1

On 1/14/2017 at 6:55 PM, JesusofSuburbia7 said:

Who is the woman on the cover of 39/Smooth?

She's called Dia, a friend of Jim Lindberg from Pennywise.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Spike said:

She's called Dia, a friend of Jim Lindberg from Pennywise.

Pennywise?

On 1/13/2017 at 7:26 AM, Second favourite son said:

Does Angel and the Jerk feature Green Day or just Billie Joe?  The internet seems to vary on it, to me it sounds like the whole band, the only place I can find it on Spotify only credits 'Billy Joe Armstrong'.

Just Billie

On 1/14/2017 at 9:31 PM, AutogolazzoJr said:

Are there any live recorded performances of Strangeland (From sweet children EP)? (it's my favorite green day song)

Nope. It's my favorite Green Day song too, holy shit, I never thought I'd find someone who shares that opinion with me! 

On 1/15/2017 at 8:09 PM, AutogolazzoJr said:

:(:(Ima blackmail billie then

Wait.

Setlist.fm is wrong. Strangeland was probably never performed.

That is a fake recording made out of other live recordings with added distortion

13 minutes ago, JesusofSuburbia7 said:

Pennywise?

A band :P 

• Like 3

I'm new to concerts. How far in advance are set lists released? And is it the same setlist for an entire tour or does it vary by venue?

1 minute ago, JesusofSuburbia7 said:

I'm new to concerts. How far in advance are set lists released? And is it the same setlist for an entire tour or does it vary by venue?

They're not released. With Green Day they very rarely change the setlist up on a given tour, but you do get the occasional rarity or older song thrown in somewhere towards the middle. If you check setlist.fm you'll see that the vast majority of shows on a given tour are almost identical.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, JesusofSuburbia7 said:

My suggestion would be not to research the setlists - just have a blast on your concert date. 

• Like 3

I find that once I'm there any thoughts of the setlist go out the window anyway :lol:, you just get caught up in the show and exactly what they play isn't that important.

• Like 2

Is Billie Joe sill in love with Amanda? Why does he always sing about her all these years later?

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

I can't think of which interviews exactly but I think he (and also Adrienne in an old Idiot Club one I remember) has said there's just certain people who leave a big impression on you in life and she was a "one who got away" who was that for him. I doubt he's still in love with her, seems like she/their relationship just made a lasting impact on him so became a go-to reference for writing songs about relationships. He kind of wraps things up nicely in the song Amanda, sounds like closure over it.

I wonder if Adie gets jealous.

I have to look up the lyrics for Amanda, Ive never been able to get through it

5 hours ago, JesusofSuburbia7 said:

Is Billie Joe sill in love with Amanda? Why does he always sing about her all these years later?

Different relationships leave different impacts on people. She was around during the most difficult phase of his life, when Green Day "sold out". He did a lot of changing and growing up that year, and maybe he does still love her. She broke up with him partially because of the "sell out", and I'm sure that impacted him in many different ways. I'm sure Billie could write a whole lot of songs about this part of his life because of those reasons. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Todd said:

Different relationships leave different impacts on people. She was around during the most difficult phase of his life, when Green Day "sold out". He did a lot of changing and growing up that year, and maybe he does still love her. She broke up with him partially because of the "sell out", and I'm sure that impacted him in many different ways. I'm sure Billie could write a whole lot of songs about this part of his life because of those reasons. 

I heard that he met her in Green Day's indie days. I thought Billie was already with Adie when they sold out, since Billie wrote 2000 Lightyears away and Tre said he kept trying to get the band to perform in Minnesota.

6 minutes ago, JesusofSuburbia7 said:

I heard that he met her in Green Day's indie days. I thought Billie was already with Adie when they sold out, since Billie wrote 2000 Lightyears away and Tre said he kept trying to get the band to perform in Minnesota.

Billie met her in summer 1990. He wrote 2000 Light Years Away in 1991. They both dated other people on/off between 1990 and 94, but they would call each other a lot on the phone. Billie and Amanda dated for about a year and broke up right before Dookie came out. In spring of 1994 Adrienne moved to California and married Billie in June. That's what the song "Westbound Sign" is about. 

• Like 2

• Hermione changed the title to Green Day Q&A Thread