Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

1 hour ago, GreenDayJunkie86 said:

They should ask that question in an interview. You got me interested, haha. I have never thought about it. Maybe the Ramones? I don't know 😅. 

I found most of the VH1 Behind The Music and Billie says "early Van Halen and AC/DC" in that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2024 at 10:44 AM, pacejunkie punk said:

I love Masked Intruder. I don’t know if they have a direct Green Day connection but they have an indirect one. I first discovered them when I saw them open for The Interrupters several years ago.  They do a very entertaining live show, really leaning into the whole bank robber theme with a dancing cop onstage and ski masks and everything. Anyone who has a chance to see them live I recommend it, and the music is very power pop and catchy.

I had my wires crossed.   Common Rider is the band I was trying to think of as I discovered the greatness of Masked Intruder, haha.   Jesse Michaels of Operation Ivy/Crimpshrine who did the 39 Smooth artwork.      I can't believe I thought someone connected to Green Day would wear masks to hide their identity.   Crazy! 

There was a Green Day show from I think 1994, a big arena one, where Billie was wearing a blue clown suit the whole show. Anyone know what show it was? I wanna find the video of it again, whole thing was on youtube.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hermione said:

There was a Green Day show from I think 1994, a big arena one, where Billie was wearing a blue clown suit the whole show. Anyone know what show it was? I wanna find the video of it again, whole thing was on youtube.

there you go

• Like 4
  • Surprised 1

Just now, Alf said:

there you go

Thanks very much!

• Like 2

The concert above ending on She, I like that.  

Does anyone have any details of the earliest Desecrated Youth / Sweet Children days when it was Billie, Mike, Raj and Sean?   All I can find is that they all went to school together and that those guys both departed after one year for reasons unknown.   Raj says he's not allowed to discuss his departure from the band but in the same breathe says he wanted to focus on Construction as a career.    Also, I found this like that  says that Jason Andrew Relva was in some of these early band incarnations and that the name changes went on for some time.  Condom, Desacrated Youth, Sweet Children and then Green Day.

Read More: https://www.grunge.com/183290/the-untold-truth-of-green-day/ 

What GD do you listen to when you want to relax and go to sleep?  Or to keep anxiety at bay? 

1 hour ago, Vintage Disciple said:

What GD do you listen to when you want to relax and go to sleep?  Or to keep anxiety at bay? 

Ordinary World and Walk Away are my two automatic blood pressure lowering songs.  Anxiety, Hold On is good.  And Pollyanna definitely helped when it came out.

7 hours ago, That Dude said:

The concert above ending on She, I like that.  

Does anyone have any details of the earliest Desecrated Youth / Sweet Children days when it was Billie, Mike, Raj and Sean?   All I can find is that they all went to school together and that those guys both departed after one year for reasons unknown.   Raj says he's not allowed to discuss his departure from the band but in the same breathe says he wanted to focus on Construction as a career.    Also, I found this like that  says that Jason Andrew Relva was in some of these early band incarnations and that the name changes went on for some time.  Condom, Desacrated Youth, Sweet Children and then Green Day.

Read More: https://www.grunge.com/183290/the-untold-truth-of-green-day/ 

I think Blood Rage was also before Sweet Children.

IIRC, Billie (and possibly the rest of the old lineup) was in a metal cover band but I forgot the name.

Desecrated Youth played a live show at Raj Punjabi's backyard. One song known to be played is called Merciful Children.

October 1987, Sweet Children played their first show at Rod's Hickory Pit and played "La bamba" (KROQ 2019 interview with Green Day) with Mike singing. There were also some original songs (George Cole interview with greenday.fm) which I believe might be 1,000 Hours, Dry Ice and Best Thing in Town. Why Do You Want Him could've been played too, Billie wrote it years before Sweet Children (there are disputes over if it was when he was 12 or 14, I'm on Team 14).

No known shows in 1988 until October. October 16 1988 was a show played at Robert Eggplant's backyard and Raj was pissed off at something. He left his drumkit at the party. Hehe! John Kiffmeyer was going to hang out with the Lookouts with fellow Isocracy member Jason Beebout, but he saw that Sweet Children needed a drummer so he volunteered. Jason said that Kiffmeyer joining another band broke up Isocracy.

According to greendaylive.fm, Sean didn't perform at any GD shows as Sweet Children. AFAIK, he still got to get in touch with the guys and attended some of their shows! Kiffmeyer also attended a GD show after leaving the band, apparently it was Dreamforce 2013.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What are some Billie stories outside of Green Day that you know?  Big events in his life completely unrelated to Green Day.    I know he's intertwined heavily with the bands and the music, but there's more to him than that.    Gimme gimme everything you got! 

22 hours ago, That Dude said:

What are some Billie stories outside of Green Day that you know?  Big events in his life completely unrelated to Green Day.    I know he's intertwined heavily with the bands and the music, but there's more to him than that.    Gimme gimme everything you got! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I miss when he did story time (even if some of the stories may or may not have been exaggerated :P). He told the Brando story at my show.

• Haha 2
  • Surprised 1

On 4/3/2024 at 4:41 AM, The 99th revolution said:

I think Blood Rage was also before Sweet Children.

IIRC, Billie (and possibly the rest of the old lineup) was in a metal cover band but I forgot the name.

Desecrated Youth played a live show at Raj Punjabi's backyard. One song known to be played is called Merciful Children.

October 1987, Sweet Children played their first show at Rod's Hickory Pit and played "La bamba" (KROQ 2019 interview with Green Day) with Mike singing. There were also some original songs (George Cole interview with greenday.fm) which I believe might be 1,000 Hours, Dry Ice and Best Thing in Town. Why Do You Want Him could've been played too, Billie wrote it years before Sweet Children (there are disputes over if it was when he was 12 or 14, I'm on Team 14).

No known shows in 1988 until October. October 16 1988 was a show played at Robert Eggplant's backyard and Raj was pissed off at something. He left his drumkit at the party. Hehe! John Kiffmeyer was going to hang out with the Lookouts with fellow Isocracy member Jason Beebout, but he saw that Sweet Children needed a drummer so he volunteered. Jason said that Kiffmeyer joining another band broke up Isocracy.

According to greendaylive.fm, Sean didn't perform at any GD shows as Sweet Children. AFAIK, he still got to get in touch with the guys and attended some of their shows! Kiffmeyer also attended a GD show after leaving the band, apparently it was Dreamforce 2013.

Sean was Green Day roadie in the early days.

John returned to the band for a few shows in early 1991

According to BJ sean was in the first incarnation of Sweet Children and they also had another drummer called Franz (https://www.instagram.com/p/C4pgqv1usz9/?img_index=4)

• Like 1