Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

One of the funniest things about watching that show is how Billie was pissed off that Bon Jovi were part of the line up and was making fun of them (don't remember when as I haven't watched it for ages but I know he did), and how afterwards he said part of the reason he stripped off was because they were there lmao

15 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Wasn't it for charity or something like that?

I'm still looking into whether it was for charity or not but I did find out that it was "She" Billie sang nude and this photo from Rolling Stone:

There's video too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFeXuzYanbI 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hermione said:

One of the funniest things about watching that show is how Billie was pissed off that Bon Jovi were part of the line up and was making fun of them (don't remember when as I haven't watched it for ages but I know he did), and how afterwards he said part of the reason he stripped off was because they were there lmao

There's video too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFeXuzYanbI 

Can we talk about how Tré wouldn't look in Billie's direction :lol: "no no that's the ass, look away" :lol:

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Can we talk about how Tré wouldn't look in Billie's direction :lol: "no no that's the ass, look away" :lol:

When Billie posted this the other day Tre commented about how that was the drummer's view and it was the best seat in the house :lol:. He must have got some looks in :D 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

When Billie posted this the other day Tre commented about how that was the drummer's view and it was the best seat in the house :lol:. He must have got some looks in :D 

We all know he's looked. :)

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

I had to watch the show again just to see what he said about Bon Jovi. Jesus christ they were grumpy and obnoxious that night, never ending sarcasm and going on about how shitty the event is after every song lolAt 20:05 he takes the piss by singing Wanted Dead or Alive badly with some different lyrics :lol:. At 28:35 he says "Richie Sambora eat your fucking heart out baby" after playing random guitar notes. And at 36:30 he sings Living on a Prayer as "living off my hair". For some reason I thought there was more than that. Maybe a couple of the other sarcastic comments were known to be aimed at them or something, not sure. Very entertaining show in any case

I don't know which interview it was, but I know there was one probably in 95 where Billie talks about how pissed he was that they were playing with Bon Jovi and why he decided to get naked.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Todd said:

I don't know which interview it was, but I know there was one probably in 95 where Billie talks about how pissed he was that they were playing with Bon Jovi and why he decided to get naked.

Every time I’ve heard him mention it he said it was because he thought he’d never get the chance to play MSG again anyway so why not. 

I read about this recently in a book, apparently the show was originally supposed to be just green day and pansy division and then the radio station that was putting it on decided to make it a fest and pansy division had to go on first and play a super short set. I guess green day ended up playing really late because bon Jovi played an extra long set and threw things off schedule

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Every time I’ve heard him mention it he said it was because he thought he’d never get the chance to play MSG again anyway so why not. 

Yeah I think that's the main reason but I've definitely heard him say it was because of Bon Jovi being there too. The whole show is part let's put on a great performance and part fuck this show and everyone here so makes sense that it was a bit of both. He also said he'd never got naked on stage before that when in fact he'd already done it at another show on that tour (possibly as warm up :lol:) so he doesn't exactly always tell the whole truth when describing things :P

• Like 3

There's this quote from Spin Magazine about Billie getting naked too:

"Well, if you’re playing in front of 20,000 people, you have to give them something to look at. I think that’s why I used to get naked so often. When a show is uneventful, or we’re not that tight, or the crowd is lukewarm - the clothes come off. You’ve got to give them something to remember, so ten years from now they can say ‘oh yeah! We saw Green Day and Billie Joe got naked!’ I came from a working-class background, and I work hard up there." :lol:

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

There's this quote from Spin Magazine about Billie getting naked too:

And on the other hand this from Guitar World in 1996:

"Well, we write rock and roll music. We're a rock and roll band. We're extroverted and exhibitionist. We're not shoe gazers no way. We're demented. Up on stage, I'm gonna take my fuckin' clothes off and wiggle my little dick at everybody. I'm gonna be totally obnoxious and rude and spit in the eye of every fucking heavy grunge band that ever came out"

The two sides to Billie getting naked at shows: to make the show fun and to say fuck you :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Pretty sure it was invented for that. I think it was probably based on the needle art from this

83cdbac81959cc8dc4c9a7caed5d9098.jpg?fbc

because the design on the shirt is that with a heart over it:

billie-joe-to-return-to-broadway-as-st-j

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2019 at 5:04 PM, Maddie86 said:

I read about this recently in a book, apparently the show was originally supposed to be just green day and pansy division and then the radio station that was putting it on decided to make it a fest and pansy division had to go on first and play a super short set. I guess green day ended up playing really late because bon Jovi played an extra long set and threw things off schedule

So what you're saying is that THIS is in fact what lead to the iHeart Radio debacle.  Green Day need at least 2 hours to do their thing but really.....3.   3 hours.    

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone screenshot this tweet? Someone would like to include it in their story in the We Are Revolution Radio book but he's deleted it now. Can't really use it with this emoji stuck on it...

imHzf5A.jpg

On 2/4/2019 at 5:26 AM, solongfromthestars said:

Did anyone screenshot this tweet? Someone would like to include it in their story in the We Are Revolution Radio book but he's deleted it now. Can't really use it with this emoji stuck on it...

imHzf5A.jpg

Do you know what country he lists last?

37 minutes ago, Liam said:

Do you know what country he lists last?

It was Israel. The person decided not to use it since he deleted it, but in case anyone ever wants it, I did tidy it up in Photoshop (could have used a fake tweet generator too)

EfM4WmR.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can find a video of this without watching the whole show? I mean the magazine burning part

One of the most remarkable aspects of the success of Dookie was just how little press the band undertook to promote it. In fact, the only interview the band consented to give to a mainstream publication in the United States was with Spin magazine in the autumn of 1994. Less than pleased with the results, at a concert at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago Billie Joe held up the magazine and set it on fire, telling the crowd that “this is a crock of shit, and if you believe it you are too.” (from Kerrang article "20 Things You Probably About Billie Joe Armstrong")

8 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Does anyone know where I can find a video of this without watching the whole show? I mean the magazine burning part

One of the most remarkable aspects of the success of Dookie was just how little press the band undertook to promote it. In fact, the only interview the band consented to give to a mainstream publication in the United States was with Spin magazine in the autumn of 1994. Less than pleased with the results, at a concert at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago Billie Joe held up the magazine and set it on fire, telling the crowd that “this is a crock of shit, and if you believe it you are too.” (from Kerrang article "20 Things You Probably About Billie Joe Armstrong")

It's in the Welcome to Paradise music video, it's probably just a short bit though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

It's in the Welcome to Paradise music video, it's probably just a short bit though.

I thought that was recorded at slim’s in San Francisco. He probably did it more than once. The one referred to in the article would have been from Jaded in Chicago (but was cut from the TV version) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I thought that was recorded at slim’s in San Francisco. He probably did it more than once. The one referred to in the article would have been from Jaded in Chicago (but was cut from the TV version) 

Oh, you're probably right. I didn't know he did it multiple times and haven't watched the video in years.