Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

See this is the kind of thing that he loves to do to make people go 🤔

Apart from that “reveal”, I think getting a first tattoo by Billie would be traumatic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

See this is the kind of thing that he loves to do to make people go 🤔

Apart from that “reveal”, I think getting a first tattoo by Billie would be traumatic. 

I would agree.. Tattoos already hurt like a bitch let alone if Billie is holding the gun 😂

On 12/30/2018 at 6:48 PM, Todd said:

Also, I believe there are multiple copies of the master tapes. So even if one set was in bad condition, there are others. John said he has master tapes at his place. 

Yeah I remember hearing about John having a set and that most of the mixes are the same. No unreleased songs or anything else found on his tapes. It's just weird how they're out there. And neither HD tracks nor Acoustic Sounds, have managed to get ahold of them for a 24/96 flac release. Same with 1039. Must be a label and licensing problem.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

Why is it considered especially embarrassing to like Green Day? I've heard it from fans and non-fans, rock and pop fans, before and after the trilogy. No one ever explains why, though. Is it because they're effeminate and/or wear eyeliner? Cringey videos? Young fanbase? Associated with emo? Enlighten me :P 

I actually just googled "why is it embarrassing to like Green Day" and this came up ...

https://www.laweekly.com/music/unpopular-opinion-leave-blink-182-alone-and-stop-listening-to-green-day-5924702

and of course the usual Sex Pistols hate:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/sex-pistols-icon-johnny-rotten-hits-out-at-turgid-green-day-2386044

This one seems to say "protest" songs can either be seen as positive or embarrassing:

https://www.popbuzz.com/music/artists/green-day/features/green-day-trump-protest-songs/

I don't think this really answers the question. I know what you mean it's like this sneaky "oh that's embarrassing" look :lol:

• Haha 1

Does anyone know what the chords are(guitar) for Fever Blister by the Longshot? I've been trying to play it by ear but I don't really have it down yet and none of the chords sites I've checked have accurate chords for it?

Well, the odds are that either you'd end up with a tattoo with a cool story or it peels off. :dry: That's not too much of a risk. As far as we know nothing worse happened to Billie tattoos.

10 hours ago, solongfromthestars said:

Why is it considered especially embarrassing to like Green Day? I've heard it from fans and non-fans, rock and pop fans, before and after the trilogy. No one ever explains why, though. Is it because they're effeminate and/or wear eyeliner? Cringey videos? Young fanbase? Associated with emo? Enlighten me :P 

I have no idea but I'm hesitant to admit I'm a fan because I expect people to think it's embarrassing. :P It doesn't make any sense though, because Green Day have never done anything that bad to warrant this reputation. Seems to me that they were seen as a kids band for a long time. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw revrad get really positive reception in serious "grownup" media, so maybe it's changing?

• Like 2

I think a lot of and "oh you can't like Green Day" comes from the trend in the press to support the underdog but criticise when success strikes.  I always feel the British press anyway build people up just so they can enjoy knocking them down.  Personally, I feel I am old enough to know better than to care so much about a band, but I do so there!  I think the changing face of music doesn't help but then just about every artist gets criticised.  I suppose as well, if you don't like a band then we seem to not just say I don't like them, we say their rubbish or something.  I am very rude about the "pop princess" thing, and artists like Ed Sheeran etc.  Yeeeuuuch. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jengd said:

I suppose as well, if you don't like a band then we seem to not just say I don't like them, we say their rubbish or something.  I am very rude about the "pop princess" thing, and artists like Ed Sheeran etc.  Yeeeuuuch. 😂

That's fair. :lol: Everyone has a band they dislike and say it's rubbish, but I don't think linking green day is more embarrassing than say, liking the foo fighters or some other band.

edit: maybe the reason is that pretty much everyone liked green day when they were 12 but grew out of it while we never did so liking green day might be the musical equivalent of being an adult toy train nerd or something like that 

• Like 1

I don't know why though but some bands seem to have more "cred" than others, I think GD are far better than the Foos but they seem to have more "cred" or maybe it doesn't feel like that if you are a Foo fan. Maybe it's more to do with being out of your teens, who knows.  At least we aren't all here loving Nickleback who seem to get the most hate.  😂 It will be interesting to see what happens to Muse, I see them beginning to get bad mouthed in the press of late.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

edit: maybe the reason is that pretty much everyone liked green day when they were 12 but grew out of it while we never did so liking green day might be the musical equivalent of being an adult toy train nerd or something like that 

This. They were most mainstream during the emo phase and they got lumped together with all that teenage angst.  My daughter was a fan in middle school so when she sees me as a fan now she associates GD with her middle school years and tells me I’m acting like I’m 13 by liking them. I think it’s just when most people liked them (10-15 years ago).  

Or they’re right, because my kids know me and I’ve always been into what others would consider childish things 😂

• Like 1

I think it's a combo of things.  Partially, a lot people liked them as teens, but then moved on to other bands (I hate the phrase grew out of, because that implies there was something wrong with the band as opposed to the person having changing tastes).  I feel if these people were to check out what GD has done since, they might come back to the fold.  And that has happened before.  People came back for AI, people came back for RevRad, etc.  It's been said in various interviews/documentaries, even if you don't like GD, you like GD.  I think like @jengd said, it's people wanting to tear down those who have had success.  Also, this happens to lots of bands.  Pretty much all bands are hated by someone.  I think you're just more sensitive to it when it's "your band".  I've only had one bad reaction to saying I'm a GD fan, and that was a drunk guy in a bar, so whatever.  No one else has ever given me shit about it, so maybe it has to do with age group, where you're from, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

This. They were most mainstream during the emo phase and they got lumped together with all that teenage angst.  My daughter was a fan in middle school so when she sees me as a fan now she associates GD with her middle school years and tells me I’m acting like I’m 13 by liking them. I think it’s just when most people liked them (10-15 years ago).  

Or they’re right, because my kids know me and I’ve always been into what others would consider childish things 😂

Yes, middle school is when they were popular among kids my age. It was 21CB era and the emo phase was still going strong. I have a feeling people associate them with their own embarassing middle school selves! :lol:

• Like 2

And it may not be that those people grew out of GD but rather that they were the ones who would be into whatever was popular at the time and from 2005-2010 that was Green Day. When styles changed they changed with them. I’ve never been a follower of the mainstream or what was trendy in general I’ve always liked what I liked  so if others moved on I wouldn’t care. 

• Like 4

My secondary school classmates thought liking Green Day was embarrassing because they weren't as emo as the superior My Chemical Romance :lol: But that's definitely not the case now. I'd say it is probably that people associate them with their younger, more embarrassing selves but then I hear this vague "I know liking Green Day now is embarrasing, but..." from big fans too, so I don't know. The "protest songs are embarrassing" could be part of it. Also the disdain for anything that got "old" and I suppose Green Day did (to them, anyway) by the second rock opera. I don't get shit for liking them or anything and it wouldn't bother me if I did, but I'm intrigued by this mysterious sentiment that sounds so clear cut, yet no one never explains :P 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jengd said:

I don't know why though but some bands seem to have more "cred" than others, I think GD are far better than the Foos but they seem to have more "cred" or maybe it doesn't feel like that if you are a Foo fan.

I think the big HYPE for the Foo is juts about Dave Grohl. An ex-Nirvana member. I like the Foo, but I don't think they would have had such a big hype if Dave Grohl had not been a former member of Nirvana.

• Like 1

Anybody remember what that concert was that Billie came out butt-ass naked? (also an Honorable mention of the concerts with the leopard thong @Jane Lannister

1 minute ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Anybody remember what that concert was that Billie came out butt-ass naked?

MSG 1994

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

MSG 1994

Wasn't it for charity or something like that?

I'm still looking into whether it was for charity or not but I did find out that it was "She" Billie sang nude and this photo from Rolling Stone:

rs-96164-28135898-28135899-large.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I'm still looking into whether it was for charity or not but I did find out that it was "She" Billie sang nude and this photo from Rolling Stone:

It was a festival. Z100’s Jingle Ball.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I can't stop staring at his butt.. :lol: