Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

Does somebody know where Green Day members live?I mean what is that exact location, exact house and street number? They're not hollywood stars so there's no paparazzi around them each day and can go for a walk and don't need worry about their lives. They might have ten rich houses but what is the one main home they usually go back to after touring. It would be amazing to knock on the door and see Billie or Adrienne :D

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Finnsch said:

Does somebody know where Green Day members live?I mean what is that exact location, exact house and street number? They're not hollywood stars so there's no paparazzi around them each day and can go for a walk and don't need worry about their lives. They might have ten rich houses but what is the one main home they usually go back to after touring. It would be amazing to knock on the door and see Billie or Adrienne :D

None of Your Business Lane 1000 in Yikestown.

Allow them some goddamn peace and quiet while they're within their own four walls. I get feeling curious about where and how they live but fans really need to understand boundaries. Treat them like people, not sensations. It's really creepy.

Also, even if we knew, we wouldn't be allowed to tell you. 

• Like 4

I dont even think about going from Europe to America just to knock on Billies door :D It would be nice to see their homes even on Google map. 

But on the other hand let the location be unknown for fans, they all deserves privacy.  Honestly I thought that some of you know where they live and  the information is public here

Edited by Finnsch

That's like messaging any of the band members and asking them for personal information. Just don't do it. :rolleyes:  

1 hour ago, Billie Hoe said:

Rules shouldn't be the one thing stopping people from disclosing information like this to strangers on the internet. If I ever find out who's doing it, they'll catch THESE HANDS

I'm kinda glad I'm innocent considering you actually know my address. :lol:

1 hour ago, Finnsch said:

I dont even think about going from Europe to America just to knock on Billies door :D It would be nice to see their homes even on Google map. 

But on the other hand let the location be unknown for fans, they all deserves privacy.  Honestly I thought that some of you know where they live and  the information is public here

There are people who know and peeked over the fence that much I know

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

I'm kinda glad I'm innocent considering you actually know my address. :lol:

also because I already bought the bus tickets :lol: I'd better be careful about what I say the next two months if I were you

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Someone will most probably tell you via PM though lol

Please no one do this 😠

• Like 3

Need some clarification about the instrumentation on the American Idiot Broadway Cast album - it is Green Day on every song, right? And they did re-record the tracks rather than use the masters from the original American Idiot sessions? Might be a silly question but I can’t find too much information online... maybe @Todd can help me out:)

2 hours ago, BrendanL said:

Need some clarification about the instrumentation on the American Idiot Broadway Cast album - it is Green Day on every song, right? And they did re-record the tracks rather than use the masters from the original American Idiot sessions? Might be a silly question but I can’t find too much information online... maybe @Todd can help me out:)

It’s Green Day and they did re-record 

3 hours ago, BrendanL said:

What WhiteTim said- and that's all I know. I have no clue about anything else having to do with that broadway stuff. Never really got into that. Don't even own the album.

4 hours ago, BrendanL said:

Here’s the booklet of the broadway album 

57p11mx.jpg

as you see this was recorded at Jingletown and Electric Lady (Jimi Hendrix’s studio in NY) where as AI was recorded at Ocean’s Way I’m assuming that the music was recorded at Jingletown and the vocals from the cast was at Electric Lady as it’d just make sense with the cast being in NY 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

as you see this was recorded at Jingletown and Electric Lady (Jimi Hendrix’s studio in NY) where as AI was recorded at Ocean’s Way I’m assuming that the music was recorded at Jingletown and the vocals from the cast was at Electric Lady as it’d just make sense with the cast being in NY 

I always had the doubt if it was Green Day who recorded that. Still, there are guitars from other people. 

It just shows how good musicians they are. Rerecord a whole production, with arrangements they didn't do. Just amazing :)

Edited by AlissaGoesRAWR
Please remove photos from quotes

8 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Thanks! If nothing else, it's neat to hear the subtle differences in the arrangement and the mixing, and like @greendepent I was never completely sure if it was Green Day or not.

On 12. 6. 2018 at 4:15 PM, Billie Hoe said:

also because I already bought the bus tickets :lol: I'd better be careful about what I say the next two months if I were you

I'm gonna get annihilated for my low quality posts :o

Does anyone know if there's a difference between the American Idiot UK Vinyl released by WEA International in 2006 and the 180 Gram Vinyl released in 2009? The first one is cheaper on Amazon, which makes it more tempting, but I don't know if there are any differences.

Thanks!

I'd have to look into the 2006 release, but I can assure the 2009 180 Gram is absolutely superb and without doubt the best pressing to date by Reprise. The dynamic range is about 3 points higher than on the original release and its reissues, so it just sounds fuller and every instrument can be heard more clearly.

I only found out about the whole loudness war / compression issue a few years ago, but holy sh*t it's significant. I reckon a significant proportion of the beauty and richness of the music and just general musicianship is sucked out by the standard compression that is applied to almost everything these days. The only mediums spared from this horrible compression are ironically vinyls. This means that a vinyl or vinyl digital rip can actually sound significantly better than even a lossless CD. It's insane! Anyway, I've now been on a hunt for vinyls and vinyl rips the last few years. I currently have vinyl rips for almost all Green Day albums, with the exception of the live albums, which I am still desperately trying to find somewhere. Funnily enough, the dynamic range on the DVD release of Bullet In A Bible is more than twice as high as on the CD. So, as much as I like the CD release, I think the vinyl could sound even better. If anyone wants to listen to the difference. Here you go: 

1. American Idiot - dynamic original DVD version (DR range =12)

2. American Idiot - compressed CD version (DR range = 5)

Even factoring in YouTube's compression, there is a substantial difference in sound quality. I think you'll notice that the compressed version is louder, but the dynamic version has a higher punch and clarity in the drums, all the individual instruments can be heard much more clearly, such as the bass and the guitars and there's more ''breathing space''.

And for those that don't have the AI vinyl, if you're interested to hear the huge difference in sound quality and dynamic range, here is another direct comparison, the difference is truly staggering:

Holiday - compressed CD version (DR Range = 5)

Holiday - dynamic 2009 180 gram vinyl (DR Range =12)

Again, just listen to the bass and drums, they sound sooooo much better and clearer! Seriously, what is wrong with producers to take this richness and clarity out of music? I don't get it. It's truly infuriating...

EDIT; @kaylubd I'm not quite sure which version you're referring to. If you mean the 2006 Adeline Records version, yes, that should in theory have the same mastering as the 2009 Reprise 180 gram, namely the one done by Stan Ricker. 

Here's the discogs link to the 2006 Adeline Records LP:

https://www.discogs.com/de/Green-Day-American-Idiot/release/715812

And to the 2009 Reprise Records 180 Gram (which I own and can recommend):

https://www.discogs.com/de/Green-Day-American-Idiot/release/2923745

Don't know of any other 2006 LP releases. If you mean the 2004 Reprise records UK release (check the number under ''label'' here to see if they match up), then I'd recommend getting the 2009 180 gram version. 

https://www.discogs.com/de/Green-Day-American-Idiot/release/1203470

As I said, there is a audible difference between the original vinyl mastering and this remastering done by Stan Ricker. It sounds a lot better. The video example above is in fact from that vinyl / mastering.

• Like 4

On 6/12/2018 at 11:17 PM, Todd said:

Ha! Thanks for the heads up!

On 6/12/2018 at 10:51 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

Just bought this. Anyone know anything about it? Hope it’s good but I love books so I’m giving it a shot

https://www.backwingstore.com/products/green-day-faq-all-thats-left-to-know-about-the-worlds-most-popular-punk-band

I like the fact that it's at least updated through Revolution Radio. I bought it a few weeks ago and really haven't read much of it yet, just skimmed through.

• Like 1

So my parents accidentally deleted the DVR recording of that tv show that aired the thing in the bookmobile before I could see it. Does anyone know where I can find it online?