Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

On 5/22/2020 at 1:52 AM, Montclare said:

27, New Blood, and Anniversary Song.

Wow, Anniversary Song especially sounds so Cometbus to me! I never would’ve guessed it was Billie’s.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jollyroger said:

Its interesting to me that he wrote so little of the songs for pinhead. I wonder why?

Because Pinhead is Aaron's band. And besides, he is a hell of songwriter, and the other members of the band are busy with other bands. At the time that Pinhead is together, Aaron must have 40 songs ready to record and play.

On 5/19/2020 at 2:07 PM, Beerjeezus said:

21CB. I checked and it indeed is on Awesome As Fuck so we can safely conclude it was fucked with a bit to make it sound more polished :P

I really dislike how they managed all the live stuff from 21st CB. Besides pitch correction (that was awfully done) they also patched/cut stuff with other shows so nothing is close to real. Is worse when you have access to good audience material for a lot of those shows and compare. Is sad because the song selection is great. But it is what it is.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2020 at 1:38 AM, greendepent said:

Besides pitch correction (that was awfully done) they also patched/cut stuff with other shows so nothing is close to real. 

Tbf every live album you've ever listened to, at least major label ones, has been reamped, overdubbed, and had standard production tricks like autotune applied to it. At this point expecting an album with a raw sound from any big band is like expecting a magazine cover with no photoshop.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, green day is said:

Tbf every live album you've ever listened to, at least major label ones, has been reamped, overdubbed, and had standard production tricks like autotune applied to it. At this point expecting an album with a raw sound from any big band is like expecting a magazine cover with no photoshop.

I already know that. My main problem how poorly it was done. I can't call it "revamped" if the results are atrocious as this one. I'm fine with patching or replacing stuff as long is not noticable. Even if I know there's stuff missing, but that is my fault since my vast knowledge on bootlegs haha :lol:

Was “Heart Like A Hand Grenade” filmed in HD? A lot of people seem to think so due to the digital releases, but it appears SD to me. :confused:

21 minutes ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Was “Heart Like A Hand Grenade” filmed in HD? A lot of people seem to think so due to the digital releases, but it appears SD to me. :confused:

The first 1080p HD camera came out in 2006 so it’s not 1080 could be 720p 

John is on IG someone could ask him 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

The first 1080p HD camera came out in 2006 so it’s not 1080 could be 720p 

John is on IG someone could ask him

Analog 1125 line/1080i cameras have existed since the early 90s, plus film can be digitally scanned to HD. So those two are possibilities, but I don’t really see it. 

If I could get in touch with him to ask, that would be incredible.

2 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Analog 1125 line/1080i cameras have existed since the early 90s, plus film can be digitally scanned to HD. So those two are possibilities, but I don’t really see it. 

If I could get in touch with him to ask, that would be incredible.

Well true 1080i have been but don’t know if John had a budget for one or for film 

I don’t have the dvd on me but sometimes they will list the cameras used in the end credits 

On 5/27/2020 at 4:32 PM, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Asked John on IG the editor replied that they used a Panasonic DVX100 camera so no HD 

edit: John himself just responded “HD is for asshole and not punk rock” 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhiteTim said:

Asked John on IG the editor replied that they used a Panasonic DVX100 camera so no HD 

edit: John himself just responded “HD is for asshole and not punk rock” 

That makes sense. DV tapes were the broadcast standard for SD in the 2000s. 

John must’ve been ashamed when Bullet in a Bible was recorded then! :P

• Like 1

Random question, but does Billie wear contacts during tour/media appearances etc. or just settle for subpar vision? Clearly he wears glasses at other times, so he needs the correction.

I think he may (I think Mike has for years) but I think maybe it’s just that he is needing glasses for reading but is finding he wears them more and more, often happens (I hate to say it) at his age 😂.  He really suits his glasses, seems to have quite a few pairs, often spotted hanging from the neck oh his t-shirt.  Even did this on the performances of Ordinary World for Conan.

• Like 2

Did Billie Joe ever meet Nardwuar? I think that would be interesting. 

On 5/26/2020 at 2:23 AM, greendepent said:

I already know that. My main problem how poorly it was done. I can't call it "revamped" if the results are atrocious as this one. I'm fine with patching or replacing stuff as long is not noticable. Even if I know there's stuff missing, but that is my fault since my vast knowledge on bootlegs haha :lol:

i said reamped not revamped lol

Anyone know what Sugar Youth has a ** after it on the back of the CD case? What is this indicating?

2 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Anyone know what Sugar Youth has a ** after it on the back of the CD case? What is this indicating?

Do you have a pic? Mine have an asterix on the CD after Father of All...
But nothing on the back case.

8 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Do you have a pic? Mine have an asterix on the CD after Father of All...
But nothing on the back case.

My bad...back of the lyric book.

Some of The Network guys should make a solo album or form a super group.  What if Green Day and the Network did a supergroup 

Van Go teams up with

Pat Wilson on drums.

James Hetfield on guitar

does anyone have the URL to the thread where Andres added the rule "you are no longer allowed to say that things are 'awesome as fuck' anymore"? Its one of the highlights of GDC history and I just want to read the post for nostalgia

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sarcasm said:

does anyone have the URL to the thread where Andres added the rule "you are no longer allowed to say that things are 'awesome as fuck' anymore"? Its one of the highlights of GDC history and I just want to read the post for nostalgia

I remember that. Wasn’t it a comment on a blog post?

32 minutes ago, Todd said:

I remember that. Wasn’t it a comment on a blog post?

right after AAF was announced the forum was plagued with it all so Andres either made a post, a thread or a blog post about it and it was fucking hilarious

How come this versions so different? Are there other versions of other songs that are different too for the radio and stuff like that? I really love this version and thought it was super cool. Would've been cool to hear it on the radio.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jollyroger said:

How come this versions so different? Are there other versions of other songs that are different too for the radio and stuff like that? I really love this version and thought it was super cool. Would've been cool to hear it on the radio.

Yes, there are a few distinctly different radio mixes, like Redundant, Prosthetic Head, and the Jerky Boys mix of 2000 Light Years Away. 

I’ve heard Last of the American Girls on the radio before, but the station played the album version.