Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

12 minutes ago, Todd said:

Oh man I was just reading this a couple weeks ago, I think in a zine. They were driving around in John’s van and Billie was writing the lyrics as they drove past the funeral chapel, that’s how they got the name. Now I just have to find which zine it was so I can give a proper citation! 

Cool! That'll be the first "official" meaning we have about it I think :D Thanks!

@Rumpelstiltskin2000 @The Bellie now we know why we were taking photos of a fucking funeral chapel in the dead of night :lol: 

47 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I never heard the revenge story, but the one I read about the song was that it was just named after the place because he used to go to see a girl that lived near there in Benicia, it may even have been her family’s business I’d have to double check that. 

That would also make sense with them keep playing the Camel Barns.

I can see how Billie might have picked up on the chapel while driving by if he was writing about revenge. Or maybe it was totally random and the two things aren't connected.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

Cool! That'll be the first "official" meaning we have about it I think :D Thanks!

@Rumpelstiltskin2000 @The Bellie now we know why we were taking photos of a fucking funeral chapel in the dead of night :lol: 

That would also make sense with them keep playing the Camel Barns.

What did you learn about the Camel Barns shows? I’m still trying to piece together info about a few of them. 

On 1/6/2020 at 10:18 AM, Green Day In Seattle said:

Is it just me, or has the tempo of American Idiot slowed down in recent years? It seems like they used to play it live much faster.

Definitely, although the answer is a little more complicated than that. More generally speaking, I think it's fair to say Green Day played a lot of their songs the fastest in the 90s, but in terms of American Idiot and onwards, I would argue they started off roughly at album speed (listen to Bullet In A Bible), then during the 21CB and Trilogy tours they played a lot of the songs more quickly, including American Idiot, KYE and When I Come Around etc. And then, since RevRad they've been playing everything more slowly again. It actually kinda drives me nuts occasionally. American Idiot doesn't bother me that much somehow, but KYE really seems to drag on when not played at 21CB tour drug fuelled speed lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Todd said:

What did you learn about the Camel Barns shows? I’m still trying to piece together info about a few of them. 

Not much since we arrived after closing time. We assumed the Going to Pasalacqua story might have been vaguely connected because the chapel is so close by but that could be a coincidence. It might be worth someone going to the museum at the Camel Barns complex and seeing if they have any info on the shows.

27 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

Not much since we arrived after closing time. We assumed the Going to Pasalacqua story might have been vaguely connected because the chapel is so close by but that could be a coincidence. It might be worth someone going to the museum at the Camel Barns complex and seeing if they have any info on the shows.

From what I’ve gathered, there was a Sweet Children show there in 88 or 89 with Tally Hoe, where a skinhead fight broke out, and another one later in 89 with Blatz, and possibly another with Monsula.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Where was the Adeline Records office before it closed?

Anyone know of any good interviews where Billie talks about the meaning of/inspiration behind Jesus of Suburbia? I know what it's about but I'm looking for some quotes I haven't used yet for my next piece about the Bay Area's Green Day history.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 2:45 AM, solongfromthestars said:

Where was the Adeline Records office before it closed?

Anyone know of any good interviews where Billie talks about the meaning of/inspiration behind Jesus of Suburbia? I know what it's about but I'm looking for some quotes I haven't used yet for my next piece about the Bay Area's Green Day history.

Wiki says Pat ran it from San Diego.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UNICORN VOMIT said:

Wiki says Pat ran it from San Diego.

I think that was later on. At some point there was an Oakland one Green Day used as a "clubhouse" but that must have closed when Pat took over.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How did fans react here on gdc to 21st CB? I can't find that thread.

Were most delighted, or were there some people saying like 'it's pop' / 'I miss old GD'?

Before trilogy I had seen some comments on youtube like '21st is their worst album' and 'it's too commercial'. And now I see some random rankings and 21st is often placed in a high position. It's quite funny. To me 21st is a huge record and it's rightly appreciated.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, solongfromthestars said:

It was very unpopular, but then there were way more early Green Day purists around than there are now. The main complaint was that people missed "old" Green Day. Some thought they'd only done it to stay mainstream, so they'd have been the ones saying "it's too commercial." It wasn't on GDC (I was a lurker then so wouldn't have seen everything anyway), but one fan I knew refused to even listen to it and sold off his Green Day collection. He was one of many who felt "betrayed" by a second rock opera. People who loved it were accused of being blind fangirls. So I'm always happy to see people appreciating it now! 

Sold off an entire collection? That's pretty sad. I get not liking a band's current stuff, but that doesn't mean you can't listen to the stuff you enjoy :lol: Just wow.

• Like 3

Is this another thread in a loop?  Sorry, it’s just funny how comfortable many of us get with our music and while want new music, we really want the old music back again. 

• Like 1

So is Jason White still considered an official Green Day member? I was watching Cuatro and they kept emphasizing this point but in years since it doesn't seemed to be mentioned.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

So is Jason White still considered an official Green Day member? I was watching Cuatro and they kept emphasizing this point but in years since it doesn't seemed to be mentioned.

It was only during Trilogy time. He’s gone back to being a touring member

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2020 at 11:27 PM, kaylubd said:

Sold off an entire collection? That's pretty sad. I get not liking a band's current stuff, but that doesn't mean you can't listen to the stuff you enjoy :lol: Just wow.

Well... were the "I heard FOAM and now I'm getting my Green Day tattoo removed" for real? That would be something :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, Beerjeezus said:

Well... were the "I heard FOAM and now I'm getting my Green Day tattoo removed" for real? That would be something :lol:

I hope people didn't say that! This is why I stick with band shirts and avoid band tattoos. Just think if I would've gotten the Blink 182 smiley face back in the day 🤢

• Haha 1

Wikipedia has different details about the personal on the record.     

Did Mike do any backing vocals on this album or not?   

The answer determines whether I continue to support this band or not, so give me some references please!  

Mike must sing!  

I give this era kudos for that awesome Jason White singing we just got, but we need more.

3 hours ago, That Dude said:

Wikipedia has different details about the personal on the record.     

Did Mike do any backing vocals on this album or not?   

The answer determines whether I continue to support this band or not, so give me some references please!  

Mike must sing!  

I give this era kudos for that awesome Jason White singing we just got, but we need more.

I think the insert only lists Billie Joe for vocals

• Like 1

Just now, Todd said:

I think the insert only lists Billie Joe for vocals

It also says no one wrote these songs, they just became.   

Lol. 

I want writing credits :(

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, That Dude said:

It also says no one wrote these songs, they just became.   

Lol. 

I want writing credits :(

We'll have to wait a little while for their SESAC page to be updated with the new songs- although they usually share writing credits. You know all the GD songs from the past 20 years say "Words by Billie Joe music by Green Day"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Todd said:

We'll have to wait a little while for their SESAC page to be updated with the new songs- although they usually share writing credits. You know all the GD songs from the past 20 years say "Words by Billie Joe music by Green Day"

Misery has words by the whole band, Homecoming has little tidbits - but yeah.   

I guess Mike and Tre are content with the situation.  Who Knows?   

15 hours ago, jengd said:

I’m sure I read that it’s generally considered pretty good of Billie to share all music credit with Mike and Tre and he does all the lyrics (most of the time, there is the odd exception)  and could claim far more of the music as sometimes they just play what he’s written but I think that probably changes with each record.  Billie himself has said he gets annoyed when they, particularly Mike, don’t get enough credit for GD.

People gave Mike and Tré plenty of credit pre AI. If they want that again (and maybe they don't care) maybe they should write basslines that aren't just "follow the root of the chord" and drum patterns that aren't K H S H with a cymbal on bar 1 and a fill at the end of bar 4/8. We're not even sure if Mike does backing vocals anymore.

"Considered pretty good" lol should be "considered an act of charity" :^)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, green day is said:

"Considered pretty good" lol should be "considered an act of charity" :^)

No, that’s extreme, but the context was that in many bands tensions build because the main writer makes a ton more money over time than their band mates and that this would be the case here if they didn’t credit all three with writing the music the way they always have done, regardless of how much inout they actually have. 

• Like 3

On 2/10/2020 at 6:23 PM, Beerjeezus said:

They meant they are getting it covered up with UNICORN. 

Nothing say UNICORN like a UNICORN unicorning. 

Unicorn

Oh unicorn

Oh unicorn

Oh unicorn

Sounds weird after that many times.

• Haha 1