Green Day interview - The Talk (part 1 and part 2)

desertrose

We present you our new show "The Talk"
Jan Schwarzkamp will interview the punk rockers of Green Day in the first episodes.

Talking about Uno Dos Tre, self producing their album, their new studio OTIS, leaving Jingletown, the sound they got for the album, making the new album, Billie calling it "Short attention span theater"

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My god Billie looks good in this one! Like a bit rough on the edges to make him seem more badass and still looking good. The interview was all right too... :D 

Billie, re: The Trilogy: "I mean, It is what it is." 

Same. :lol:

I don't remember if we've heard the story behind why OTIS is called that before, but I dig it.

Wow..anyone sense a small degree of friction when they talk about producers? Billie saying "we didn't need them" and Tre talking about how nice it was to not have a producer make it seem like they might be self producing more in the future. 

I don't think anything bad happened with a producer (it might have, but I don't get that feeling), but after the Trilogy I think they felt the need to cut back on unnecessary voices in the studio. I guess if they feel comfortable and happy with what they're doing, other opinions aren't needed. They seem to have more confidence in their new material than they have the last few albums–maybe that independence is why. 

I loved that he asked some unusual, or maybe not just the normal type of, questions.  A bit more insight into Billie's feelings on the trilogy and why his new studio is called Otis. This was cool.  Can't wait for part 2 (and more?) to show up.

23 minutes ago, Jean said:

When I read the title, I thought it was "the Talk" with Sharon Osbourne and those ladies.

SAME.

Poor choice in title, ya'll.

I am fascinated with Tre's hair line.  He should just shave the sides and back of his head to the skin and keep the hair on top.  I love him and the interview. 

10 hours ago, stories and songs said:

Billie, re: The Trilogy: "I mean, It is what it is." 

Same. :lol:

I don't remember if we've heard the story behind why OTIS is called that before, but I dig it.

It must be the only way to cope :P

Can't wait to watch it. 

A lovely Christmas present!

I liked the Uno Dos Tre explanation. The OTIS name explanation was slightly ridiculous :lol: 

9 hours ago, nick. said:

Wow..anyone sense a small degree of friction when they talk about producers? Billie saying "we didn't need them" and Tre talking about how nice it was to not have a producer make it seem like they might be self producing more in the future. 

I think it's just always going to be kind of awkward to say you didn't need/want to work with someone and describe how much you enjoyed working without them without it sounding like a diss, even if they really have no issues with past producers and just wanted to do things a different way this time and perhaps in the future. I think Billie said it in that blunt way with a chuckle to acknowledge that it's awkward to explain.

I enjoyed this interview! A lot of quirky questions and some even quirkier answers :lol:

Really liked this interview!

And Billie looks so soooo good, I just... wow, heart eyes. 

20 hours ago, nick. said:

19 hours ago, stories and songs said:

I don't think anything bad happened with a producer (it might have, but I don't get that feeling), but after the Trilogy I think they felt the need to cut back on unnecessary voices in the studio. I guess if they feel comfortable and happy with what they're doing, other opinions aren't needed. They seem to have more confidence in their new material than they have the last few albums–maybe that independence is why. 

But I read last year in Kerrang that rob heard some of the demos, why would they do that if they didn't like him? 

2 hours ago, luketrebilliemike said:

But I read last year in Kerrang that rob heard some of the demos, why would they do that if they didn't like him? 

Rob is still a longtime friend of theirs. It's but normal he heard Somewhere Now and Bang Bang and kept shut about it to the label. The fact that they don't want a producer in the studio doesn't mean they aren't informally talking to each other about their respective projects.

Great! I really liked the interviewer and they gave good answers, even though it's the same kind of questions as other interviews this one was more interesting than most.

"We know what complicated is now."

"Yeah, it's called Uno, Dos, Tre." :lol:

Pretty good interview so far!

On 12/25/2016 at 6:53 PM, Dakke said:

Rob is still a longtime friend of theirs. It's but normal he heard Somewhere Now and Bang Bang and kept shut about it to the label. The fact that they don't want a producer in the studio doesn't mean they aren't informally talking to each other about their respective projects.

hard to kept it shut at the label if the chairman of the label is listening to demos lol (Rob is in charge of Warner)

18 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

hard to kept it shut at the label if the chairman of the label is listening to demos lol (Rob is in charge of Warner)

He could have listened to the demos in his free time. Besides, the label knew nothing since Rob kept shut about it. Rob doesn't equal Warner Records/Reprise.

5 minutes ago, Dakke said:

He could have listened to the demos in his free time. Besides, the label knew nothing since Rob kept shut about it. Rob doesn't equal Warner Records/Reprise.

you do know what CHAIRMAN means right??? Rob is in charge of all Warner releases that includes Reprise... and where was it said Rob had to run to the public to announce an album? 

Just now, WhiteTim said:

you do know what CHAIRMAN means right??? Rob is in charge of all Warner releases that includes Reprise... and where was it said Rob had to run to the public to announce an album? 

I know what the title of chairman entails. I'm just meaning that he could have listened to the demos as their friend, not as the chairman of Warner/Reprise. No one at Warner would have known if he had headed over to OTIS over the weekend. 

4 minutes ago, Dakke said:

I know what the title of chairman entails. I'm just meaning that he could have listened to the demos as their friend, not as the chairman of Warner/Reprise. No one at Warner would have known if he had headed over to OTIS over the weekend. 

yeah tbf who knows when he heard the demos as he made a mention of demos in RS during the HOF so dunno if RR was in process then or not but i get what ya saying now 

4 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

yeah tbf who knows when he heard the demos as he made a mention of demos in RS during the HOF so dunno if RR was in process then or not 

Rob mentioned that Billie had recorded four or five demos when he heard them, so probably early 2015. That was April 2015 whilst he was still in the middle of the writing process of RR.

I finally found time to watch this, what a great interview. It somehow makes me sad that it still seems to be painful for them to talk about the trilogy. I love it when Mike says that the meaning of RevRad is freedom for them, it definitely sounds like this and the whole era feels like this is really the main reason why they made this record. Without caring about sales figures or radio hits or whatever. They just did what felt right for them.

The interviewer was quite nervous but I think he did a good job. I really like this Youtube channel in general, it's great that they picked GD to kick off their new show.

And dammit, I should have named my cat Otis :lol:

Archived