Official American Idiot Appreciation Thread

MikeDirntConfused

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Amanda said:

Don't you just love it when people put "Official" in a thread title.

Only when I do it. Srs.

Talked my bassist into buying it for 8 bucks at Wal Mart. He will need growing time but I also gave him RevRad for Xmas yesterday so he is going to compare the two and tell me which he enjoys more. A lot of folks hate on She's A Rebel and Extraordinary Girl but those tracks are great. I've been with lot's of women these lyrics are perfect for, and I've always enjoyed performing them.

1 minute ago, St. Jonny said:

Talked my bassist into buying it for 8 bucks at Wal Mart. He will need growing time but I also gave him RevRad for Xmas yesterday so he is going to compare the two and tell me which he enjoys more. A lot of folks hate on She's A Rebel and Extraordinary Girl but those tracks are great. I've been with lot's of women these lyrics are perfect for, and I've always enjoyed performing them.

Seriously, AI had no fillers in the album at all. I've never heard an album that is so well-constructed, has such a strong message, and leaves me with goosebumps after listening to it than AI. Even pop and rock haters appreciate the effort the band put into this album, since its easy to tell how much passion GD put into this album. It's as if this was their last album, and the band wanted it to be a statement - their defining work.

To be honest now. What about Dookie? Without Dookie being so successful and absolutely amazing in EVERY way we would never have even gotten AI. I can't say AI is their best because it isn't better than Dookie, Nimrod or Warning in my opinion, but I certainly love it for exactly what it is and revolutionized the band and the music world in a way.

Just now, St. Jonny said:

To be honest now. What about Dookie? Without Dookie being so successful and absolutely amazing in EVERY way we would never have even gotten AI. I can't say AI is their best because it isn't better than Dookie, Nimrod or Warning in my opinion, but I certainly love it for exactly what it is and revolutionized the band and the music world in a way.

Make an official Dookie appreciation thread.

http://radio.com/2015/04/13/american-idiot-green-days-triumphant-second-act/

1 minute ago, YoungBlood said:

So many great memories from this album - JOS my favorite song !

Probably their most epic song created!

excuse me, isn't every thread an American Idiot appreciation thread? this seems a bit redundant to me but hey

44 minutes ago, MikeDirntConfused said:

AI had no fillers

I always skip it. Maybe its kind of a filler.

Just now, End Of The World said:

I always skip it. Maybe its kind of a filler.

extraordinary girl I mean ahah sorry

Just now, Billie Hoe said:

Extraordinary Girl grew on me, it's the musical version I always skip. 

Yep, the silent version is far superior.

1 minute ago, The Disappearing Boy said:

It's their best album, and Homecoming is the best song.

I agree on the second thing. Surely Homecoming > JOS.

2 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

excuse me, isn't every thread an American Idiot appreciation thread? this seems a bit redundant to me but hey

You can't appreciate the album enough.

I love a lot of bands and a lot of albums so it's difficult to say that a particular album is my favourite album or to choose one album to take with me in a desert island scenario but JOS is what makes American Idiot untouchable in my opinion. If like me those lyrics hit a nerve then that's it, it becomes the actual greatest song you've ever heard. Finally it's like somebody has written a soundtrack for your life. From there the album just unfolds and by following the story of the characters through the songs  it's like you're dealing with your own issues as you listen. Maybe some people can't relate to the album as strongly or feel that this sounds melodramatic but I know that I'm not alone in this. For one it certainly had a big affect on Michael Mayer. This is an amazing, amazing album and I'm so immensely grateful it was written. 

I really don't get why some people hate on Extraordinary Girl or have it as their least favorite... it has a bongo intro, relatable lyrics, cool harmonies in the verses, and a unique sound that none of the other songs on the album have. It's perfect :wub:

The album's just so powerful - a true masterpiece in every sense. AI, the title track, sets in motion a cultural phenomenon. From the intro guitar riff and "Don't wanna be an American idiot" to the powerful Whatsername, GD really said what they had to say. You can pay attention to the story or completely disregard it, but you have to admit there was serious ambition, talent, and skill behind every song and their messages - hell, even the b-sides were fucking brilliant.

Archived