Random Green Day News

Hermione

8 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I think it can be pointed out that Billie never said he was going to be teetotal and that he's been seen with alcoholic drinks since only a short time after his rehab though. It also isn't unreasonable to say that he seems fine (even if that isn't ever guaranteed with anyone) and that there's no need to worry unless we hear otherwise based only on seeing him doing something he never said he wasn't going to do and that isn't a new thing.

Like if people think he's been sworn teetotal for life for years and suddenly now drinking then yeah it's understandable to feel concern. But that isn't actually the case and if people are worried based on assuming that then it's helpful to point it out.

Ideally it wouldn't be discussed at all but if "worrying" posts are allowed but not a voice of reason reply then I can see that leading to a lot of unnecessary worrying and speculating.

I see where you're coming from and I don't disagree with you on principle that it's not necessary to get upset over this, but firstly, he's said that iheart was his last drink, so by your own definition, the worriers have been justified in their worrying right from the start :P and secondly, you can't know what he's been drinking, saying that isn't different from any other kind of unnecessary speculation.

• Like 3

Well like you said people can change. So maybe before when he started drinking he couldn't stop and needed drugs idk. Maybe he can control it now.

• Like 1

It's natural that we want to make our own judgment and be sure about it because we care about him, personally I base mine on how he looks and not because we see him drinking something here and there. It's not the first time he drinks something lately but it doesn't mean it's in the same way as before. In the vid posted above we can clearly see how it's some sort of cheerful group thing in a specific context so I don't get why worrying about that specifically. I won't worry until he'll look unhealthy (and in 2012 it was more than obviously the case on more than a gig) and right now it's not the case at all.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I see where you're coming from and I don't disagree with you on principle that it's not necessary to get upset over this, but firstly, he's said that iheart was his last drink, so by your own definition, the worriers have been justified in their worrying right from the start :P and secondly, you can't know what he's been drinking, saying that isn't different from any other kind of unnecessary speculation.

I think people ran with that comment when they shouldn't have, a comment like that shortly afterwards isn't the same as saying he's going to be teetotal forever, it wasn't specific enough to assume that from it. People were saying "I'm going to be straight edge like Billie" and stuff and it was like no, he hasn't specified anything about his treatment plan or whatever. I know that he's been seen with drinks multiple times over the last few years and that there's nothing new or different about that clip. I don't pretend to know about his health, I just think unless we hear he has a problem or something beyond seeing him with a drink happens there's no point in worrying.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I think people ran with that comment when they shouldn't have, a comment like that shortly afterwards isn't the same as saying he's going to be teetotal forever, it wasn't specific enough to assume that from it. People were saying "I'm going to be straight edge like Billie" and stuff and it was like no, he hasn't specified anything about his treatment plan or whatever. I know that he's been seen with drinks multiple times over the last few years and that there's nothing new or different about that clip. I don't pretend to know about his health, I just think unless we hear he has a problem or something beyond seeing him with a drink happens there's no point in worrying.

THANKS!

• Like 1

How about just not discuss it at all since it never leads anywhere and none of us know shit about his personal life. 

The bottom line is, we can't know for sure if he's okay or not and even if we knew, the most we could do is to shut up and let him live, so we might as well do that.

• Like 4

Also, about what he said in 2013 that it would be his last drink, he probably had many other thoughts later on that we don't know since they weren't registered in an interview. But as this quote was recent following his rehab it was probably what he had to tell himself at that moment to protect himself. It doesn't mean that if he doesn't follow that 6-year old thing now, he's down the slope again, I don't believe that

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hermione said:

"I'm going to be straight edge like Billie" 

tumblr_o1mqyj6mjG1upelv7o6_250.gif

Fair enough, we probably just understood it differently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I remember reading something before(can't remember when/ where) that he said he only drinks on special occasians(spelling?) now, so maybe these times are some of those.

4 minutes ago, The_real_st_jimmy said:

I remember reading something before(can't remember when/ where) that he said he only drinks on special occasians(spelling?) now, so maybe these times are some of those.

It mean everyday is a special occasion in my life.

He was there with Adrienne... Of all the people in the world she is the one who would be concerned about Billie's health the most... If there was any problem she would never let him go down the road again. That's the reason I am really not worried about it

• Like 2

Sorry, I realise I kind of kicked this off, but he's important in my life and I love seeing him looking well and happy, as he has for the last few years - long may it continue.  I don't want to speculate, I know very  little about alcoholism and obviously none of the real detail about Billie's issues beyond what he's said and I didn't mean to spark this off again!

• Like 1

Guys quick response.  I don’t know any better but here would be my observation.

Billies alcohol and prescription drug issues were long standing and from how he explains it they related to issues that were long term unresolved. 

I would say the rehab and whatever follow up treatment occurred (there would have been some) would have allowed him to feel more comfortable and accepting of himself.  

My point is I can’t imagine for somebody who caused the damage he did to himself would be in a hurry to travel that path again. 

So if the issues were resolved then I could imagine that he would no longer need to feel ‘numb’.  Meaning he can drink and party to have fun and not to medicate himself. 

I can understand why people have been concerned but I just think it is unmerited.  The relationships he has in his life I’m sure would hold him to account if he was spiralling. 

Finally I think he achieved clarity and that clarity should remove or place into perspective most of the unfounded insecurities he carried/carries.

• Like 3

You must be a sorcerer - he doesn't even know you exist and you know so much about his mental health

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

No I analyse things a bit more than most and have had first hand dealing with drug and drink addiction. 

Most I have found hit their poison to feel numb or better about themselves or both.  On most occasions it’s the consequence of some sort of trauma from an earlier period of life.

Part of that is coming to terms with yourself your demons etc.  which Billie briefly mentions in ‘that’ interview. 

Now if he can deal with that it’s not like he’s exactly got a lot to worry about in life.  He’s never gonna have to worry about cash, he’s been married 25 years, his kids are doing well and professionally he’s been very successful and as a consequence him and his friends have had opportunities to do thinks they never would if dreamed at 20.

So as I say I don’t know him personally but he gives so much of himself to us as fans: interviews, songwriting etc is it doesn’t take much to know there has been dark times.  But maybe now he’s at a point where he has come to terms with it and now only feels ‘gratitude’ and excitement that he can still go and tour the world with his old mates. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, scottnz6789 said:

No I analyse things a bit more than most and have had first hand dealing with drug and drink addiction. 

Most I have found hit their poison to feel numb or better about themselves or both.  On most occasions it’s the consequence of some sort of trauma from an earlier period of life.

Part of that is coming to terms with yourself your demons etc.  which Billie briefly mentions in ‘that’ interview. 

Now if he can deal with that it’s not like he’s exactly got a lot to worry about in life.  He’s never gonna have to worry about cash, he’s been married 25 years, his kids are doing well and professionally he’s been very successful and as a consequence him and his friends have had opportunities to do thinks they never would if dreamed at 20.

So as I say I don’t know him personally but he gives so much of himself to us as fans: interviews, songwriting etc is it doesn’t take much to know there has been dark times.  But maybe now he’s at a point where he has come to terms with it and now only feels ‘gratitude’ and excitement that he can still go and tour the world with his old mates. 

Does it always involve some past trauma or mental health issue or is there not a biological component too in that a person may be in a good place but still be physically unable to resist abusing a substance? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Does it always involve some past trauma or mental health issue or is there not a biological component too in that a person may be in a good place but still be physically unable to resist abusing a substance? 

I would say it’s a combination of biological and environmental factors. I think the most important factor in predicting relapse, from what I’ve read, is how severe the addiction was.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, neverdone2000 said:

I don’t think that’s really fair. Billie directly said in interviews that a huge part of his rehab was getting counseling to get help for unresolved anxiety and other mental health issues. So @scottnz6789 wasn’t being a sorcerer. He was reminding us of this information. It could be that Billie was drinking to get numb before and now he’s just drinking socially. That’s a valid point.

Fair point, but still there's no way to tell how he's doing now from old interviews. That's just a guessing game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

Fair point, but still there's no way to tell how he's doing now from old interviews. That's just a guessing game.

I’ve course not but the anecdotal evidence we have at the moment appears he is doing well 😀 

4 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I would imagine in a number of cases, but with mental health can be very inpredicatable and vary significantly from case to case.

I think the term trauma when applying it is context is wider reaching as it can be many things or a variety of many things. 

For example the shit storm the band got when they signed to Reprise never would have helped.  And you get a song like walking contradiction where the life he was living differed to everything he believed.  (Not necessarily saying this is the case, I am purely speculating but i’m Sure you get the example)