Random Green Day News

Hermione

1 hour ago, LaughingClock said:

With all due respect to the other AMAZING bands on this list.

GD should be number one because even the Stones don't STILL CHART like Green Day.  Not Metallica, Radiohead, ZZ Top...All great bands BUT none of them still make new fans (not generational fans anyway) and they don't chart like GD making them the most lasting band of ALL TIME IMHO.

Go ahead and name me a band that makes albums for 30 years that chart after the first decade, maybe 2? Queen would probably have been the closest had Freddie not died but even then, maybe not.

Rolling Stones album in 2016 outcharted and outsold Rev Radio by miles ahead 

RevRad not even gold 

Blues and Lonesome is over million sold 

9 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

No. Just...no. I'm forcibly removed from this fandom. I thought puma was too much because I didn't expect Morrisey.

tenor.gif?itemid=12460910

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

I repeat - I do not want to be associated in any way with anyone who:

a) wears puma

b) collaborates with Morrisey

c) both of the above

I do not know who this Billie Joe is nor do I wish to find out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had to go and Google the song Billie has collaborated on, Wedding Bell Blues and am struggling a little to imagine how they will sound 😂

18 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Rolling Stones album in 2016 outcharted and outsold Rev Radio by miles ahead 

RevRad not even gold 

Blues and Lonesome is over million sold 

Green Day Rev Rad (not their best charting but hardly bad, and was certified GOLD in the UK BPI)

Revolution Radio

Released: October 7, 2016
(US)[57]

Label: Reprise

Formats: CD, LP, digital download

WW: 1,000,000[27]

BPI: Gold[27]

HIGHEST CHART POSITIONS (Based on country, I won't label each one)  Go to the wiki

1   2    4   1   2  1   4  1  1

Now, let's move to AI and TCBD was 6x Platinum by the RIAA (and then you can see the rest).  Stones are an outlier in my uh-pinion.

HOWEVER,

American Idiot

Released: September 21, 2004
(US)[42]

Formats: CD, CS, LP, digital download

Highest Charting positions by country:

1 1 1 1 3 1 4 2 1 1

WW: 14,000,000[12]

US: 6,100,000[10][11]

UK: 2,171,058[30]

RIAA: 6× Platinum[7]

ARIA: 6× Platinum[43]

BPI: 7× Platinum[27]

BVMI: 3× Platinum[32]

IFPI AUT: Platinum[33]

IFPI SWE: Gold[44]

IRMA: 8× Platinum[35]

MC: 6× Platinum[28]

RIANZ: 4× Platinum[45]

21st Century Breakdown

Released: May 15, 2009 (US)[46]

Highest Charting Positions

1 2 1 1 1 2 4 1 1 1

RIAA: Platinum[7]

ARIA: Platinum[47]

BPI: Platinum[27]

BVMI: 3× Gold[32]

IFPI SWE: Gold[48]

IRMA: Platinum[49]

MC: 2× Platinum[28]

RIANZ: Platinum[50]

NOW, I will say, based on the world brand alone and let's not forget that they have been around since the 60s, that's 20 more years and I am not qualifying but quantifying.  It's hard, damn near impossible for some of even my idols to chart for as high and as long and as generation as Green Day.  That includes The Stones.  Go look at their chart history.  They have not been generation.  They have their fans but your average 15 year old couldn't name 2 songs by The Stones (sadly).  It's happening to Floyd and Beasties as well.  GD has a particular ability to appeal to everyone for some reason.

2016Blue & Lonesome

Released: 2 December 2016

Label: Polydor Records

1 (25)4 (11)12213111

BPI: Platinum[13]

YOU are correct, I was just trying to make a point but you are correct that Blue & Lonesome (awesome album btw did chart quite well for them).

However, the other bands listed don't chart even nearly as well considering who they are and how long they have been around.  Same things happened to people like Bowie.  Happens to McCartney, and even Lennon and Harrison.  Eric Clapton.  It's just the nature of the business.  It's not a slight. I am a HUGE fan of the stones.  Just for that list, it is IMHO that GD has been more consistent (with some inconsistencies) the most prolific and re-inventive band of our generation. 

Your point is taken well with that album especially and The Stones aren't going to go anywhere as long as they are around but I contend that for the next several generations, long after Green Day are not a band, because of their young generational following that they will have longevity past any of the bands listed here and yes, I include The Stones in that but again, point taken.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

Green Day Rev Rad (not their best charting but hardly bad, and was certified GOLD in the UK BPI)

Revolution Radio

Released: October 7, 2016
(US)[57]

WW: 1,000,000[27]

BPI: Gold[27]

HIGHEST CHART POSITIONS (Based on country, I won't label each one)  Go to the wiki

1   2    4   1   2  1   4  1  1

Now, let's move to AI and TCBD was 6x Platinum by the RIAA (and then you can see the rest).  Stones are an outlier in my uh-pinion.

HOWEVER,

American Idiot

Released: September 21, 2004
(US)[42]

Formats: CD, CS, LP, digital download

Highest Charting positions by country:

1 1 1 1 3 1 4 2 1 1

WW: 14,000,000[12]

US: 6,100,000[10][11]

UK: 2,171,058[30]

RIAA: 6× Platinum[7]

ARIA: 6× Platinum[43]

BPI: 7× Platinum[27]

BVMI: 3× Platinum[32]

IFPI SWE: Gold[44]

IRMA: 8× Platinum[35]

MC: 6× Platinum[28]

RIANZ: 4× Platinum[45]

21st Century Breakdown

Released: May 15, 2009 (US)[46]

Highest Charting Positions

1 2 1 1 1 2 4 1 1 1

RIAA: Platinum[7]

ARIA: Platinum[47]

BPI: Platinum[27]

BVMI: 3× Gold[32]

IFPI SWE: Gold[48]

IRMA: Platinum[49]

MC: 2× Platinum[28]

RIANZ: Platinum[50]

NOW, I will say, based on the world brand alone and let's not forget that they have been around since the 60s, that's 20 more years and I am not qualifying but quantifying.  It's hard, damn near impossible for some of even my idols to chart for as high and as long and as generation as Green Day.  That includes The Stones.  Go look at their chart history.  They have not been generation.  They have their fans but your average 15 year old couldn't name 2 songs by The Stones (sadly).  It's happening to Floyd and Beasties as well.  GD has a particular ability to appeal to everyone for some reason.

2016Blue & Lonesome

Released: 2 December 2016

Label: Polydor Records

1 (25)4 (11)12213111

BPI: Platinum[13]

YOU are correct, I was just trying to make a point but you are correct that Blue & Lonesome (awesome album btw did chart quite well for them).

However, the other bands listed don't chart even nearly as well considering who they are and how long they have been around.  Same things happened to people like Bowie.  Happens to McCartney, and even Lennon and Harrison.  Eric Clapton.  It's just the nature of the business.  It's not a slight. I am a HUGE fan of the stones.  Just for that list, it is IMHO that GD has been more consistent (with some inconsistencies) the most prolific and re-inventive band of our generation. 

Your point is taken well with that album especially and The Stones aren't going to go anywhere as long as they are around but I contend that for the next several generations, long after Green Day are not a band, because of their young generational following that they will have longevity past any of the bands listed here and yes, I include The Stones in that but again, point taken.

Oh my god. The facts on this made me so happy. Just, just yes. :D (( @LaughingClock I appreciate your research so much))

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WhiteTim said:

Well if we were including other past albums yeah Stones wouldn’t been a contender 😂 @LaughingClock 

I did get your point I just wanted to have a light fun 

Love ya buddy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

I repeat - I do not want to be associated in any way with anyone who:

a) wears puma

b) collaborates with Morrisey

c) both of the above

I do not know who this Billie Joe is nor do I wish to find out.

Who is the Morrisey person and why should we hate him? Also, what's with the puma wear? I am so out of the loop! 

11 hours ago, herewegoagain said:

And what is this gif from!? 😍 He looks absolutely gorgeous!

4 hours ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

Who is the Morrisey person and why should we hate him? Also, what's with the puma wear? I am so out of the loop! 

And what is this gif from!? 😍 He looks absolutely gorgeous!

I believe it's from a Still Breathing video making of thing. 

Morrissey used to be in the Smiths but now he's just a bitter old racist and the mind boggles at why Billie would want to be associated with him (except not really because as we've established everything is garbage)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

Morrissey used to be in the Smiths but now he's just a bitter old racist and the mind boggles at why Billie would want to be associated with him (except not really because as we've established everything is garbage)

It's the best Billie meme :wub:

It's freeing, imo. If everything is garbage we can say fuck it and enjoy the Smiths.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

It's the best Billie meme :wub:

It's freeing, imo. If everything is garbage we can say fuck it and enjoy the Smiths.

I mainly use it as a homage to you but you're absolutely right :lol:

Plot twist: Morrissey is uncancelling himself by using Billie to troll the Green Day fanbase so much they give up on life and start listening to the Smiths again.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

I mainly use it as a homage to you but you're absolutely right :lol:

Plot twist: Morrissey is uncancelling himself by using Billie to troll the Green Day fanbase so much they give up on life and start listening to the Smiths again.

:wub:

And it works :cry: If the choice is being outraged because of something that I know is an illusion (assuming both Billie's wokeness and Morrissey's assholery are part public image/part what we project into them) or giving up on having any faith in Billie and enjoying the music for what it's worth, the second option seems better, but still, NOTHING IS REAL AND LIFE IS ABSURD :shy:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Is Jeff Matika is still around and now Morrissey? Interesting. Nothing is real and everything is absurd. Got it.

4 hours ago, herewegoagain said:

Yeah I honestly can't believe Billie would work with him, but whatever. I still love Billie and I still hate Morrisey, so nothing changes :P

• Like 4

On 2/27/2019 at 4:14 AM, Beerjeezus said:

NOTHING IS REAL AND LIFE IS ABSURD :shy:

On the same feeling, I once again invoke the power of Bo’s pros. “Botox in the first person.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1