Random Green Day News

Hermione

7 hours ago, The Insider said:

I love and support Billie in his opinions but I think that comment is hilarious considering he shamelessly stole from Freddie Mercury.  (And stealing a performance style is a bigger steal than copying the use of a bit of machinery) 😜

• Like 2

52598228_10157195835234244_8853393933250

ALT 105.3 Radio

Page Liked · 1 hr ·

On February 19, 2016 Mayor Libby Schaaf declared that the day would hereby be known as Green Day Day in the city of Oakland. Celebrate accordingly.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

It is shameless, but then, Billie is shameless too.

Exactly. Billie has been shameless in the past, and he is shameless in the very act of calling someone else shameless :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/17/2019 at 11:00 PM, desertrose said:

I'm almost at the end of it, there are good laughs to take :lol:

"Dirnt [...] vacillates between being the voice of reason and nervous comic relief."

"That’s Billie Joe – he’s 22, and he still wets the bed.” 

Yet another Kerrang piece - this time "Green Day: The Inside Story of Their Debut Album - 39/Smooth":

https://www.kerrang.com/features/green-day-the-inside-story-of-their-debut-album-39-smooth/

Maybe they should have made a whole magazine out of it so they could sell more copies :lol:

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Yet another Kerrang piece - this time "Green Day: The Inside Story of Their Debut Album - 39/Smooth":

https://www.kerrang.com/features/green-day-the-inside-story-of-their-debut-album-39-smooth/

Maybe they should have made a whole magazine out of it so they could sell more copies :lol:

Wow, how does Kerrang get all of these exclusive inside stories :shy:

• Haha 3

Green Day get a mention in this Pop Culture 25 Years Later article (it talks about Dookie):

https://25yearslatersite.com/2019/02/22/popculture25yl-february-1994-green-day-pavement-drop-classics-michael-jordan-plays-baseball-gwen-stacy-takes-a-dive-again/

This is what it says:

Green Day – Dookie   by Bryan O’Donnell

1994 was a monumental year for music. I plan on contributing to many of the PopCulture25YL columns to talk about the music from 25 years ago. I’m biased, probably, because 1994 hit directly in the time I was growing up and becoming obsessed with music, but I think the year was the best year of new music ever.

Green Day’s Dookie, the band’s third album, was released on February 1, 1994. At that time, I was in 6th grade, religiously listening to Metallica and Nirvana. I remember liking Dookie’s first single, “Longview,” well enough, but it wasn’t until later that year and into 1995 that I remember the album exploding.

Dookie was perhaps the most iconic album of my middle school years. Everyone had the Dookie T-shirt. I remember trying to out-cool everyone by buying a Kerplunk (the band’s second album) T-shirt, but it probably only hurt my popularity. It seemed like a new song from the album would be released as a single every week.

In addition to “Longview,” this album features songs you still hear on the radio on a regular basis (yes I still listen to the radio): “Basket Case,” “When I Come Around,” “Welcome to Paradise,” and “She.” It’s hard to believe all of those songs were on the same album.

Sitting down to write this piece and listening to Dookie after a long time away from it, I felt a wave of nostalgia kick in right from the get-go. The album starts with “Burnout,” a very angsty song that definitely spoke to me in my uncomfortable early-teen years: “I’m not growing up, I’m just burning out.” Two more non-hits follow — “Having a Blast” and “Chump” — and they are also excellent. Diving back in to some of these lesser-known songs was truly a pleasure.

With a lot of the music from this time centering around grunge, Green Day’s Dookie introduced people who listened to mainstream music to punk rock. It was an important album then, and it’s still an important (and very good) album today.

As someone who later got heavily into punk rock for a period of my life (constantly listening to the Clash, NOFX, Bad Religion, and many others), I’m not sure if I ever would have made that musical leap if it weren’t for Green Day releasing Dookie when they did.

• Like 3

Another mention of Green Day in this NME article "Nine pop-punk records to look out for in 2019":

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/nine-pop-punk-records-look-2019-2451736

This is what they say:

Green Day

What: Untitled new album

When: TBC

What to expect: After the band returned to what they knew on 2016’s ‘Revolution Radio’, an album of stadium-ready protest anthems, Green Day look set to shake things up with album 13. They’ve stopped working with their manager of 20 years to join Crush Music, who know a thing or two about forward facing pop-punk, looking after Weezer, Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy. But fear not, old skool fans, Green Day have also playing the whole of ‘Dookie’ during rehearsals. Did someone say 25th anniversary tour?

What they say: “I’m writing new songs for gd now,” Billie Joe Armstrong told fans

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Green Day also get a couple of mentions in this Loudwire article "50 Rock Songs That Defined 2009" - the first for "21 Guns" and the second for "Know Your Enemy":

http://loudwire.com/rock-songs-defined-2009/

This is what they have to say:

Green Day, '21 Guns'

Green Day took their time following up the monster success of their ‘American Idiot’ album, but when they finally did return a half decade later, the ‘21st Century Breakdown’ album showed no signs of backing down from the social commentary. “21 Guns,” which was the second single to drop from the album, spoke to the horrors of being pushed to the brink while at war. The song — bolstered by inclusion on the ‘Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen’ soundtrack — climbed to No. 3 Alternative, was a Top 20 single at Mainstream Rock radio, crossed over to hit No. 22 on the Billboard Hot 100 and went on to be a platinum selling single.

Green Day, 'Know Your Enemy'

It didn’t take long to see that Green Day’s popularity was still intact after a five-year spell between albums. The anthemic rallying cry “Know Your Enemy” shot straight to No. 1 at both Alternative and Mainstream Rock radio, with Billie Joe Armstrong imploring the listener to take a closer look at the messages the media provides. The powerful messaging also fit well with the WWE, which claimed “Know Your Enemy” as a Smackdown theme. The gold-selling single got their 2009 return off on the right foot.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Ngl hearing about forward facing pop punk in the direction of P!ATD and FOB makes me go all michael scott gif.jpg

Same, ew

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I trust Green Day that they wouldn't but it's a scary thought nevertheless.

Yeah it doesn't worry me but the whole paragraph just conjures up a horrible image of Green Day :lol:

• Haha 2

On 2/23/2019 at 1:37 PM, Hermione said:

Yeah it doesn't worry me but the whole paragraph just conjures up a horrible image of Green Day :lol:

Exactly :lol: this is the version of green day that would wear puma 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Hermione said:

16 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Exactly :lol: this is version of green day that would wear puma 

Yeah reading this made me a little scared at first :lol: especially because two of my least favorite things on this earth are P!ATD and FOB :lol: (also idk if they'd wear Puma or Walmart brand clothing in this alternate universe but it would definitely be something trashy) :lol:

• Haha 2

Just saw this.  I don't have time and haven't read thought the threads but here is a newly released awesome sounding track from July 22, 1989 at Berkley Square.

Rare good audio from this time:

EDIT:  DURP.  I see Todd, of course has posted it right above me. :) Todd, you da man.  

EDIT 2: And Rumple above that.  I don't know why I ever post news here that isn't already out there.  This place is like a 24 hour on the second GD news cycle. LOL

• Haha 3

Green Day are #9 in this article "Ranked! 9 Longest Surviving Bands That Still Turn Out Albums":

https://www.mandatory.com/culture/1494063-ranked-bands-albums

This is what they say:

"Bands tend to age about 10 times faster than people. After all, how long could you stand someone if you spent most of the year in a cramped bus inhaling each other’s Taco Bell farts? Touring ages you, and fast. It’s not surprising that bands go on hiatus, see lineup changes, and announce breakups all the time.

That’s what makes these bands so impressive. These are some truly committed and possibly insane musicians who have put up with each other for decades. Not only that, but they’re still releasing albums together.

Green Day (Since 1986)

Punks from the East Bay in California, Green Day started as a brash, early '90s punk group that seemed to fit right in with their peers. However, the group has reinvented itself a couple times since then and now has Grammys and an opera to its name. Meanwhile, the albums keep coming. Revolution Radio was the most recent, released in 2016."

I like how they call the musical an "opera" :lol:

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Green Day are #9 in this article "Ranked! 9 Longest Surviving Bands That Still Turn Out Albums":

https://www.mandatory.com/culture/1494063-ranked-bands-albums

This is what they say:

"Bands tend to age about 10 times faster than people. After all, how long could you stand someone if you spent most of the year in a cramped bus inhaling each other’s Taco Bell farts? Touring ages you, and fast. It’s not surprising that bands go on hiatus, see lineup changes, and announce breakups all the time.

That’s what makes these bands so impressive. These are some truly committed and possibly insane musicians who have put up with each other for decades. Not only that, but they’re still releasing albums together.

Green Day (Since 1986)

Punks from the East Bay in California, Green Day started as a brash, early '90s punk group that seemed to fit right in with their peers. However, the group has reinvented itself a couple times since then and now has Grammys and an opera to its name. Meanwhile, the albums keep coming. Revolution Radio was the most recent, released in 2016."

I like how they call the musical an "opera" :lol:

With all due respect to the other AMAZING bands on this list.

GD should be number one because even the Stones don't STILL CHART like Green Day.  Not Metallica, Radiohead, ZZ Top...All great bands BUT none of them still make new fans (not generational fans anyway) and they don't chart like GD making them the most lasting band of ALL TIME IMHO.

Go ahead and name me a band that makes albums for 30 years that chart after the first decade, maybe 2? Queen would probably have been the closest had Freddie not died but even then, maybe not.

• Like 4