Static Noise 104: Kerrang Cover Album and 2017 Tour

Fuzz

Kerrang released a cover album so we talk about our favorites and our not so favorites. We also talk about Green Day's upcoming tour what's changed and what's the same.

Thanks to @JakeCastaldi for his tweets with a rating on Revolution Radio (giving a 4/10, ouch). We disagreed, but appreciate the feedback none-the-less.

Follow the show @StaticNoiseGDA and give us your opinions on stuff so we can talk about it. Give us feedback about the show and leave a rating on iTunes, staticnoise.com/itunes  

Follow The Hosts

Andres - @andresgda
Matt - @chinanderm
Jack - @jack__yates
Alissa - @AlissaGoesRAWR

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta say, I pretty well disagree with most of that kerrang cover review.

I enjoyed the hell out of the experimental shit. But I thought most of the whiny stuff sucked.

I thought 2000 Light Years, Welcome To Paradise, American Idiot, Good Riddance, and some of Hitchin a ride was awesome.

If you're going to cover music you should change it up and make it your own, not just try to emulate it. And Welcome to Paradise doesn't deserve the hate,

I find it very slumy and grungy and it really fits the song.

34 minutes ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

Gotta say, I pretty well disagree with most of that kerrang cover review.

I enjoyed the hell out of the experimental shit. But I thought most of the whiny stuff sucked.

I thought 2000 Light Years, Welcome To Paradise, American Idiot, Good Riddance, and some of Hitchin a ride was awesome.

If you're going to cover music you should change it up and make it your own, not just try to emulate it. And Welcome to Paradise doesn't deserve the hate,

I find it very slumy and grungy and it really fits the song.

I can definitely appreciate the sentiment. I don't mind when people change up their covers. There are some very awesome, very different, covers out there. Just so happens that the people who got weird with it on the Kerrang album did it in a style of music that I just didn't really care for.

3 hours ago, Andres said:

Kerrang released a cover album so we talk about our favorites and our not so favorites. We also talk about Green Day's upcoming tour what's changed and what's the same.

Thanks to @JakeCastaldi for his tweets with a rating on Revolution Radio (giving a 4/10, ouch). We disagreed, but appreciate the feedback none-the-less.

Follow the show @StaticNoiseGDA and give us your opinions on stuff so we can talk about it. Give us feedback about the show and leave a rating on iTunes, staticnoise.com/itunes  

Follow The Hosts

Andres - @andresgda
Matt - @chinanderm
Jack - @jack__yates
Alissa - @AlissaGoesRAWR

I can't listen to it right now. But this afternoon I'll do it. ;)

I don't want them to play Youngblood live. There are a lot of better song from the new album, like Say Goodbye and Too Dumb To Die that live would sound way better than the annoying Youngblood. :D

I agree that Bang Bang should be the opener. It's the song symbol of this era. Don't get me wrong, Know Your Enemy it's awesome, but it's meaningless to start a 2017 show with a 2009 song.

Thank you guys.

30 minutes ago, End Of The World said:

I don't want them to play Youngblood live. There are a lot of better song from the new album, like Say Goodbye and Too Dumb To Die that live would sound way better than the annoying Youngblood.

Youngblood sounded awesome live! And @AlissaGoesRAWR was right in the podcast, the crowd in Detroit knew it and there is nothing like a room full of people screaming "FUCK YOU I'M FROM OAKLAND" 😎

47 minutes ago, letsdanceon said:

Youngblood sounded awesome live! And @AlissaGoesRAWR was right in the podcast, the crowd in Detroit knew it and there is nothing like a room full of people screaming "FUCK YOU I'M FROM OAKLAND" 😎

That Detroit crowd really was a wild bunch! Loads of fun. This tour's two shows were definitely the most fun of the four I've attended. 

29 minutes ago, Andres said:

As we clarified, we're dumb Americans. 

I'd try to reassure you by saying the difference is subtle, but it's not :ninja: though I can't tell the difference between Canadian and American accents, so there's that.

Hearing that not many people knew the fuck you i'm from oakland part of youngblood wasn't entirely surprising since its not a big song, but damn the thought of there being almost silence at that part sounds so cringey. It reminds me of awesome as fuck where the crowd just didn't sound loud at all in the DVD and it made the parts where the crowd was supposed to sing sound pretty awkward.

3 hours ago, End Of The World said:

I don't want them to play Youngblood live. There are a lot of better song from the new album, like Say Goodbye and Too Dumb To Die that live would sound way better than the annoying Youngblood. :D

I agree that Bang Bang should be the opener. It's the song symbol of this era. Don't get me wrong, Know Your Enemy it's awesome, but it's meaningless to start a 2017 show with a 2009 song.

Thank you guys.

The only good thing about opening with KYE is that it's over as soon as possible. Not playing it at all would be the only better option. 

2 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

The only good thing about opening with KYE is that it's over as soon as possible. Not playing it at all would be the only better option. 

Why do you hate it so much? :ermm:

They should do 21st Century Breakdown first or East Jesus Nowhere a couple songs in but KYE should go, Its a good song, odd opener.

I don't love KYE though i enjoy watching it live. Having it as an opener is so strange though. If they played stuff from 21st century breakdown id much prefer they played east jesus nowhere or the static age.

2 minutes ago, Andres said:

Pretty mediocre song.

Lyrically: totally agree.

Musically: great.

10 minutes ago, End Of The World said:

Why do you hate it so much? :ermm:

I don't hate it, I just think it's boring and they could play literally any other 21CB song instead. They dropped all EJN, 21CB, Before The Lobotomy and 21 Guns. I couldn't care less about the last one but I'd prefer any of the others over KYE. It's such an uninteresting song - I don't understand why they chose it as a single and I don't understand why they kept it. I could live happily withought it. 

26 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I don't hate it, I just think it's boring and they could play literally any other 21CB song instead. They dropped all EJN, 21CB, Before The Lobotomy and 21 Guns. I couldn't care less about the last one but I'd prefer any of the others over KYE. It's such an uninteresting song - I don't understand why they chose it as a single and I don't understand why they kept it. I could live happily withought it. 

Maybe the first reason is because its commercial performance was very good (28th on the Billboard Hot 100). Anyway I agree, there are a lot of 21stCB songs that deserve to be played live. But this aside in general I'd like to hear more from Trilogy and RevRad.

1 hour ago, Jenn. said:

I'd try to reassure you by saying the difference is subtle, but it's not :ninja: though I can't tell the difference between Canadian and American accents, so there's that.

When I travel in the U.S. a lot of people ask if I'm from Canada because of my "accent." I guess it makes sense, since Lake Erie is all that's between my hometown and Canada... but I don't hear it.

1 hour ago, Jake69 said:

Pretty freaking cool that you guys discussed my tweets. And even cooler getting "roasted" by you guys. I'm glad that you agreed that troubled times feels uninspired and isn't that good of a song though. At least I'm "right" on one thing.

p.s. Follow me on Twitter @JakeCastaldi for the best content on all of the twitters. 

I'll also point out that I linked to the wrong tweet in our notes (someone who replied to yours) and then read it like Anchorman not realizing that I was reading the wrong tweet. It confused everyone and I had to cut out like 5 minutes of us trying to figure out what the fuck I did and why I did it. 

I love that Kerrang do these tribute albums to Green Day all the time. It's really sweet. As a Green Day fan it's always awesome to see other famous people showing their love or appreciation for my favorite band even if I think the songs suck. And I don't want to be petty or a hater, because I can respect bands without liking them, but almost all the clips you showed were horrible. The 21 Guns and the Good Riddance covers were fine but the rest ... sheesh. I'm really not into that whiny thing that pop punk or "metal" bands do nowadays. 

The cover of American Idiot by the Interrupters was really amazing though, I like their style. (Also, listen to "Prosecutor" by the Interrupters, I love that song! I'm so looking forward to seeing them live. .... oh yeah, and Green Day of course ;)).

I will forever stand by King For A Day. I might joke about how annoying it is, but that's only because we're so used to it. When I heard that song for the first time (both live or not) I was really pumped, it's so fun. I'm okay with them lying down on the stage and take a "break" because they're not REALLY taking a break. Other bands either get off the stage or play half as long as them, or both, so I can appreciate them staying on the stage and continuing playing. And when I heard it live I REALLY appreciated the little break as well because I was jumping around and singing (and screaming...) all the time so it was good to be given the opportunity to call tf down for a moment :D

Also there is something I have on my mind every time I listen to a podcast  that keeps me up at night... how do you all meet each other? I mean the US is pretty huge? Do you all live like really close to one another or do you travel for miles and miles "just" to do a podcast? :D 

21 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Also there is something I have on my mind every time I listen to a podcast  that keeps me up at night... how do you all meet each other? I mean the US is pretty huge? Do you all live like really close to one another or do you travel for miles and miles "just" to do a podcast? :D 

We built a studio in the center of America so everyone would have to travel as equally as possible. It's a contentious issue as we continue to fight for the water rights to the land. 

• Fuzz unpinned this topic

Archived