Revolution Radio named Kerrang! magazine's 'Album of 2016' (+ interview with Tré Cool)

Second favourite son

Along with the covers CD, this week's Kerrang! magazine (Dec 10 2016, issue 1649) contained their '50 greatest records of 2016' - and Revolution Radio came out on top!  

Accompanying this was an interview with Tré about a variety of things, including RevRad, post-trilogy break and politics.

Really great to see Green Day across 4 consecutive pages (and on the cover!), as well as dotted elsewhere areound the magazine.  Unfortunately I can't upload scans, so it would be cool if someone else wanted to do so - maybe @Jenn. or @basketcase4933 if you pick up the magazines tomorrow?  Or anyone else who can now.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great! I hope someone will be able to upload it, I'd love to read that interview with Tré Cool!

I'm loving all of these interviews and photos with Green Day in Kerrang- long may they continue 

3 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

Of course it was.

Also because Kerrang gave RevRad KKKKK (100/100) in the review. Anyway, it's always great to hear these news.

25 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

Along with the covers CD, this week's Kerrang! magazine (Dec 10 2016, issue 1649) contained their '50 greatest records of 2016' - and Revolution Radio came out on top!  

Accompanying this was an interview with Tré about a variety of things, including RevRad, post-trilogy break and politics.

Really great to see Green Day across 4 consecutive pages (and on the cover!), as well as dotted elsewhere areound the magazine.  Unfortunately I can't upload scans, so it would be cool if someone else wanted to do so - maybe @Jenn. or @basketcase4933 if you pick up the magazines tomorrow?  Or anyone else who can now.

Looks like I'll have to go into town again tomorrow!! (Well I'm saying town but I live out in the countryside so town is a small collection of shops and Tesco the newsagent or at least the only place for miles that stocks Kerrang!)

9 minutes ago, End Of The World said:

Also because Kerrang gave RevRad KKKKK (100/100) in the review. Anyway, it's always great to hear these news.

They give a lot of things 5 Ks.  But yeah, not hugely surprising.  Inside the top ten was highly likely, but I didn't  expect it to get number one.

Kerrang has a soft spot for Green Day. :lol: even when they had absolutely nothing going on in their career, Kerrang still put Green Day posters, snippets of interviews and anything they could find into almost every issue. 

I wouls be surprised  if legitimate magazine would make such decision but it's Kerrang. They also rated RR 10/10. 13 Voices and First Ditch Effort are much better albums in my opinion.

"Outlaws is nothing less than a love song to Mike Dirnt"

THAT'S WHAT I SAID! :D

^^^ I loved that! Cause it really is! :lol:

Love that little interview with Tré, you gotta love him. Love what he says about how they protect each other and take care of each other :happy:

Those pictures are awesome!! Billie looking like he's going insane. I like rougher photos like that, glad they are giving the album the recognition it deserves too.

I think it's pretty cool that Kerrang has such a hard-on for Green Day. Their continuous support is awesome! :) 

The cover though :lol: I think it might be the only unflattering picture of Billie since the album came out.

But it's great they got a 4-page feature :happy: 

Seeing that big number 1 right above my favorite band... It's great.

GD finally is "way up high". Maybe we should ask them if they feel like a cello? They could form a string trio... :lol:

Apparently in the 80s, Kerrang sold predominantly to teenage boys (it focused on metal for years), while these days I gather it has swung the other way, with something like 75% of its readers being teenage girls. As it turns out, Green Day sells far better to teenage girls than Slayer.

Now I’m not saying that a combination of that and the fact that Green Day has a large fanbase is why they have been given 5 star reviews, album of the year and more front covers than Princess Di in the Daily Express, but it might be down to more than just merit.

36 minutes ago, Joey said:

Apparently in the 80s, Kerrang sold predominantly to teenage boys (it focused on metal for years), while these days I gather it has swung the other way, with something like 75% of its readers being teenage girls. As it turns out, Green Day sells far better to teenage girls than Slayer.

Now I’m not saying that a combination of that and the fact that Green Day has a large fanbase is why they have been given 5 star reviews, album of the year and more front covers than Princess Di in the Daily Express, but it might be down to more than just merit.

And why would a predominantly female audience cause it to lose merit any more than it did when it was predominantly male? I'm not sure it's the case anyway - it's a magazine for a genre of music, whatever audience that would attract. Green Day just sell better than other bands in general in that genre, which is probably why they're always on the cover. 

This interview shows that Tré is the only one in this band who can be funny and intelligent at the same time. Good shot on the cat metaphore :lol:

5 hours ago, 21guns&novacaine said:

Kerrang has a soft spot for Green Day. :lol: even when they had absolutely nothing going on in their career, Kerrang still put Green Day posters, snippets of interviews and anything they could find into almost every issue. 

And for that, we thank them. :hug:

47 minutes ago, greendepent said:

This interview shows that Tré is the only one in this band who can be funny and intelligent at the same time. Good shot on the cat metaphore :lol:

Definitely, but I feel like he'll only do it in the right setting. I feel sure that this was a written interview (as in, he wrote his answers back to them) because he never has that much to say joke-free if it's in person. It's interesting. He's interesting.

25 minutes ago, RougeRogue said:

And for that, we thank them. :hug:

Definitely, but I feel like he'll only do it in the right setting. I feel sure that this was a written interview (as in, he wrote his answers back to them) because he never has that much to say joke-free if it's in person. It's interesting. He's interesting.

I think that the questions were right in the spot to that kind of answer. I saw MTV ride recently, and I noticed that he felt the pain of dealing with serious things. I think he has a more reserved view to things, without losing his personal touch.

Archived