Best non-single GD songs

End Of The World

There are so many good ones!! Some of the songs that immediately came to mind were Restless Heart Syndrome, Horseshoes and Handgrenades, and Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl). Maybe that's because I've been listening to 21CB a lot recently :D There are so many great songs on that album and I can't believe they chose LOTAG as a single when there were so many better choices!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, AmyxLongview said:

There are so many good ones!! Some of the songs that immediately came to mind were Restless Heart Syndrome, Horseshoes and Handgrenades, and Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl). Maybe that's because I've been listening to 21CB a lot recently :D There are so many great songs on that album and I can't believe they chose LOTAG as a single when there were so many better choices!

Totally agree. H&H would have been far better than LOTAG.

48 minutes ago, bouncingoffthewallbja said:

Haha, this is the reason why I couldn't post my list of songs, it would be like the 90% of their non-singles :D 

I'm just gonna mention that, besides the ones that you wrote down, I love You Lied. For me it's the type of song that I didn't understand musically when I heard it at the first listen. Like Geek Stink Breath, Walking Contradiction, Fashion Victim, Waiting or Last of the American Girls. When I first heard these songs there was something unusual about them, maybe the tempo in addition to the melody and vocals, it makes such a mess (in a good way), so I didn't know what to listen to, to what pay the attention at first. There are so many different layers which cover each other and make that one song. It's genius that those songs are simple but it feels like there's something more about them. I love that. 

I love One For The Razorbacks. It's so catchy and fast and the lyrics are one of my favourites. Aaaah :D Pure gold. And of course Who Wrote Holden Caulfield :shifty::D 

Almost all of my favorite Green Day songs are non-singles. This is going to be super hard because I have so many favorites, but i'll try to narrow it down to a few and go through each album.

1. Why Do You Want Him - When I was first getting into Green Day and I started checking out their discography (starting with 1039 SOSH), something about this song converted me into a fan. Maybe because I could relate to the lyrics at the time, or the melody, or a combination of both - it hit me right in the feels. Honestly, I could probably list all the tracks on SOSH to be my favorites. ;) 

2. F.O.D. - During the time I was checking out their discography, this song literally blew my mind. I was like 12 so this was the first time I had heard anything as powerful and angry as this. It's so funny because I vividly remember my expression when the whole band kicked in after the acoustic part; I was like HOLY SHIT! Plus, I was in awe at the lyrics especially. I was a goody-goody as a kid, so Billie saying "fuck off and die" was pretty badass to me! :lol:

3. Christie Road - I love Billie's vocals in this and I the guitar solo towards the end is awesome too. This was another one of my favorites when I was first getting into them.

4. 86 - It's hard to pick a favorite on Insomniac because it's my favorite album, but i'll just choose this. Plus, their performance of this on Letterman is one of my all time favorites.

5. Platypus - I mean seriously, what's not to like? Hard, fast, and angry! Priceless lyrics. Perfect.

6. Whatsername - Hauntingly beautiful and overall a powerfully emotional song. 

7. Scumbag - I think Shenanigans as a whole is super underrated, and this is one of my favorites on the compilation. Another example of great lyrics, and just a fun song to sing along with. 

Most of my favorite Green Day songs weren't singles, so I'll just try to go with my absolute favorites. And I'll just explain why I like them so much here: I like a lot of their girl-related songs, plus I love the guitar tone on the 1,039 tracks. :P

* "Going to Pasalacqua" 

* "Why Do You Want Him?"

* "Dry Ice"

* "Private Ale"

* "80"

* "Haushinka"

16 minutes ago, Haushinka! said:

4. 86 - It's hard to pick a favorite on Insomniac because it's my favorite album, but i'll just choose this. Plus, their performance of this on Letterman is one of my all time favorites.

5. Platypus - I mean seriously, what's not to like? Hard, fast, and angry! Priceless lyrics. Perfect.

6. Whatsername - Hauntingly beautiful and overall a powerfully emotional song. 

7. Scumbag - I think Shenanigans as a whole is super underrated, and this is one of my favorites on the compilation. Another example of great lyrics, and just a fun song to sing along with. 

86 is also one of my favourites, the whole album is just perfect to me like Shenanigans. Whatsername is the only one song ever that made my eye drop a tear once, that song felt so sad like no other song ever felt to me, I don't know why. Also agree with you on Platypus!

37 minutes ago, Big Cheese said:

plus I love the guitar tone on the 1,039 tracks. :P

THIS. <3

Oh yeah, sorry I was thinking of The Forgotten video. Whoops. Alright here a bunch that come to mind instantly:

Burnout

Going To Pasalacqua

Walking Alone

Christie Road

No Pride

Westbound Sign

Coming Clean

Sassafras Roots

Armatage Shanks

Letterbomb

Give Me Novacaine

Worry Rock

Castaway

Hold On

Fashion Victim

HAHA You're Dead

Some of these are pretty short but whatever.

I have to disagree. :ermm:

I feel like the guitar in 1,039SOSH and Kerplunk it's too light. And that's the reason why I don't like them as much as other works. I mean, maybe the equalization tends too much on the high frequencies and the bass is poor compared to other albums. Dookie, Insomniac and in particular Nimrod, are the example of my favorite mixing:

Heavy guitar + loud bass = Raw sound

I like it that way... :happy:

Almost all of my favorites have the misfortune of not being singles (except for Longview, Brain Stew/Jaded, Nice Guys Finish Last, American Idiot, and Jesus of Suburbia). OK, here's my list:

1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours: Disappearing Boy, Green Day (song), Paper Lanterns, and 409 in Your Coffeemaker

Kerplunk: One for the Razorbacks, Private Ale, Dominated Love Slave, 80, Who Wrote Holden Caufield?

Dookie: Having a Blast, Chump, Pulling Teeth, Sassafras Roots, FOD

Insomniac: Armatage Shanks, 86, Stuart and the Ave, Tightwad Hill

Nimrod: The Grouch, Jinx/Haushinka (why do people always like Haushinka more than Jinx? I love Jinx), Take Back, Prosthetic Head

Warning: Blood, Sex & Booze, Church on Sunday, Fashion Victim (best!), Castaway (best!), Misery, Deadbeat Holiday, Hold On, Jackass

Shenanigans: Suffocate, Outsider, Scumbag

American Idiot: Are We The Waiting/St Jimmy, Give Me Novacaine, Homecoming, Whatsername

AI single: Too Much Too Soon and Shoplifter

21st Century Breakdown: The Static Age, Horses and Handgrenades, Murder City, American Eulogy, See The Light

Uno: Rusty James & Carpe Diem (why weren't these two singles rather than Kill the DJ and Oh Love?!?)

Dos: Fuck Time, Stop When The Red Lights Flash, Lazy Bones

Tre: Brutal Love, Missing You, 8th Avenue Serenade, Little Boy Named Train, 99 Revolutions, Dirty Rotten Bastards, Amanda, Walk Away

Revolution Radio: Somewhere Now, Bouncing Off The Wall, Forever Now

That's my list. :)

9 hours ago, Grinch said:

Brutal Love is a great song. I wish it was the closer to Tre instead of opener. Probably my favorite song from the trilogy albums.

Give Me Novacaine or Letterbomb were totally single worthy except American Idiot already had 5 others.

Westbound Sign is one of my favorite songs from Insomniac along with Panic Song.

Also Rotting and Do Da the best b-sides they put out.

I've heard "Give Me Novocaine" on the radio multiple times recently.  

Whatshername.  

Haha You're Dead. 

Worry Rock / Scattered. 

Missing You.

Lazy Bones.  

Rusty James.

Viva La GLoria 

Church on Sunday

Stuart and the ave.

Having a Blast.

No One Knows.  

This thread just made me realize, who the fuck picks their singles? So many songs would have been better picks than some of the singles they released....

I would have to go with Horseshoes and Hand Grenades and/or Platypus.  I watched an interview on youtube where Tre Cool said that Horseshoes and Hand Grenades should have been a single and Billie kind of laughed a little.  Also, Platypus would have been great, just to hear an edited version on the radio - how the fuck are ya gonna try and censor that?  Plus all the anger that's in that song makes me a little tingly inside.  I have anger issues.  My therapist says so.  She said to try to learn to meditate, and I do from time to time, but punching your girlfriend is just as gratifying. 

There was supposed to be an extra t after I typed but.

At The Library, WWHC, One of My Lies, Coming Clean, Stuart and the Ave. , All The Time, Haushinka, Church On Sunday, Do Da Da, Too Much Too Soon, Letterbomb, American Eulogy, Favorite Son, 8th Ave Serenade, Missing You

I don't exactly wish these were singles or anything because I don't know if they would really branch out to a general audience but yeah I tend to latch on more to their fast paced songs but also really catchy melodies.

7 hours ago, End Of The World said:

I have to disagree. :ermm:

I feel like the guitar in 1,039SOSH and Kerplunk it's too light. And that's the reason why I don't like them as much as other works. I mean, maybe the equalization tends too much on the high frequencies and the bass is poor compared to other albums. Dookie, Insomniac and in particular Nimrod, are the example of my favorite mixing:

Heavy guitar + loud bass = Raw sound

I like it that way... :happy:

Yeah, if you go by how well they're actually mixed, the later albums are better. I just really like the raw, unpolished sound of 1,039 and such.

Please, don't just make lists but also explain why and how that song is one of your favorites. :)

3 hours ago, St. Jonny said:

No One Knows definitely would have made a great single. Underrated song!

If you're saying back in 1992, I doubt it. GD were not famous yet. After Dookie and with the album mixing, well I agree.

No One Knows is the band's best slow song if you ask me. Unlike a lot of slower tracks, No One Knows is still quintessentially Green Day - even Billie's vocals have that lazy sneer without being too snotty.

8 hours ago, strangestat said:

This thread just made me realize, who the fuck picks their singles? So many songs would have been better picks than some of the singles they released....

*cough*21st century breakdown*cough*

3 hours ago, Platypus357 said:

*cough*21st century breakdown*cough*

I actually thought they chose well for 21CB - the only one I find hard to think of as a single is Last Of The American Girls. I think Static Age would have been a good one (as an aside, that song's quite Warning-esque in its catchiness!)

My reasons for picking those songs would all be the same. Those songs rule and simply would have made great singles in my mind, regardless of when they were written or catchiness or era they came from.

5 hours ago, Jenn. said:

I actually thought they chose well for 21CB - the only one I find hard to think of as a single is Last Of The American Girls. I think Static Age would have been a good one (as an aside, that song's quite Warning-esque in its catchiness!)

I think the singles should have gone:

1. 21st century breakdown- gets the song a little more attention. It definitely deserves it.

2. The static age- The most underrated song from the album. Really deserves to be a single. 

3.Murder City- A radio friendly track that could have been a hit. Such a missed opportunity.

4. Restless Heart Syndrome- More of a personal favorite, but I love how this song goes forms slow to fast paced. 

5. Peacemaker- SUPER catchy and a nice style.

On 6 December 2016 at 6:54 PM, End Of The World said:

Great post. I was so involved in reading it. :happy:

Haha thank you! :lol: And thanks for another great thread! 

Happily agree with No One Knows, such a great song.

With all that's happened in 2016 I think they should release Panic Song as a single now.  Apt, catchy and shows a different dimension to Green Day's style

Archived