Best non-single GD songs

End Of The World

What are your favorite GD songs that were not released as a single? Give reasons, so we can discuss about them. I'll start:

- Who Wrote Holden Caufield: I absolutely love the change of rhythm in the middle of the song, it's just so catchy.

- Burnout: great lyrics and a fantastic drum solo. Also, the beginning is one of my favorite part.

- Westbound Sign, 86: I love to play them. I also like the sound of Insomniac in general.

- Scattered: so emotional. Reminds me of Christmas and snow. The first time I listened to it was winter.

- Castaway: it's maybe one of the most exciting song to play on the bass.

- Whatshername: NOTHING TO SAY.

- Viva la Gloria: powerful, powerful, powerful.

- Nuclear Family: I really like the bassline and the final countdown.

- Forever Now: EPIC.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All The Time - Catchy as fuck :lol:

Prosthetics Head - I'm very anti-plastic surgery, makeup, botox and all those fake things. People are at their most beautiful without all those things. Makeup scares me, what are they hiding? :ermm:

Fashion Victim - Pretty much the same reason as above

She - Best bridge in any song every created for all eternity and beyond

Sassafras Roots - Exactly how I feel every. single. day.

Horseshoes and Handgrenades - No reason needed :lol:

Stop When The Red Lights Flash - One of the few trilogy songs I actually like. Superduper epic when played live :runaround:

And more to come, just don't want to spoil it for everyone :lol:

20 minutes ago, M0n3y said:

All The Time - Catchy as fuck :lol:

Prosthetics Head - I'm very anti-plastic surgery, makeup, botox and all those fake things. People are at their most beautiful without all those things. Makeup scares me, what are they hiding? :ermm:

Fashion Victim - Pretty much the same reason as above

She - Best bridge in any song every created for all eternity and beyond

Sassafras Roots - Exactly how I feel every. single. day.

Horseshoes and Handgrenades - No reason needed :lol:

Stop When The Red Lights Flash - One of the few trilogy songs I actually like. Superduper epic when played live :runaround:

And more to come, just don't want to spoil it for everyone :lol:

Agree with most of your songs, especially All the Time and Stop When the Red Lights Flash. She was released as a single but don't worry.:happy:

25 minutes ago, End Of The World said:

Agree with most of your songs, especially All the Time and Stop When the Red Lights Flash. She was released as a single but don't worry.:happy:

I should stop thinking that only videoclip songs are singles :P

Burnout - I still remember exactly where I was the first time I heard it (in my old room, sitting on the floor next to the CD player. Tre's drum intro is everything!

Armatage Shanks - always really liked it anyway but when Billie played a tiny bit of it at the first Green Day concert I went to (I don't think they'd played it for years before then) it became even more special. 

Castaway - that bass breakdown :wub: and I had the first line engraved onto my iPod which I recently sold :tired: 

Homecoming - I find it more varied and experimental than JOS, and gotta love Mike and Tre getting a go at the vocals.

Brutal Love - should have been a single.

Um, definitely Take Back and Horseshoes and Handgrenades in my opinion. They're not songs people would typically expect from Green Day and they would have knocked people's socks off who didn't see it coming :D Especially if H&H had been released right after 21 Guns, that would have been glorious to witness. Also, Burnout is one of my favorite Green Day songs, I think it would have done well as a single. 

Also don't forget Welcome to Paradise, they never made that fabulous song a single either, despite it being on two albums :)

Agree with a lot you guys said, especially No One Knows. Maybe the most underrated GD song of all time (don't we have a thread for that, too?). It's one of my all-time-favourites.

I would add to the list Give Me Novacaine, Peacemaker (LOVE it), Lazy Bones and definitely Brutal Love, it's one of their best songs ever.

Brutal Love is a great song. I wish it was the closer to Tre instead of opener. Probably my favorite song from the trilogy albums.

Give Me Novacaine or Letterbomb were totally single worthy except American Idiot already had 5 others.

Westbound Sign is one of my favorite songs from Insomniac along with Panic Song.

Also Rotting and Do Da the best b-sides they put out.

25 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Um, definitely Take Back and Horseshoes and Handgrenades in my opinion. They're not songs people would typically expect from Green Day and they would have knocked people's socks off who didn't see it coming :D Especially if H&H had been released right after 21 Guns, that would have been glorious to witness. Also, Burnout is one of my favorite Green Day songs, I think it would have done well as a single. 

Also don't forget Welcome to Paradise, they never made that fabulous song a single either, despite it being on two albums :)

I'm really sorry to disappoint you, but Welcome to Paradise was released as a single just after Longview. It also charted #7 in the Alternative Billboard chart. Anyway, I really like H&H, but I never liked Take Back. I find it too heavy for a band like GD. :)

5 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Brutal Love is a great song. I wish it was the closer to Tre instead of opener.

Yeah, at least, definitely a better closer than The Forgotten.

1 minute ago, End Of The World said:

I'm really sorry to disappoint you, but Welcome to Paradise was released as a single just after Longview. It also charted #7 in the Alternative Billboard chart. Anyway, I really like H&H, but I never liked Take Back. I find it too heavy for a band like GD. :)

Yes the song charted, because radio stations played it, I think, but Green Day never released it as a regular single.

That's exactly the reason why I love it so much! I don't normally like music this heavy but it's so different from the rest of Green Day's songs that I couldn't help but fall in love with it. :) It's really refreshing.

2 minutes ago, St. Jonny said:

Brutal Love and Nuclear Family had videos, weren't they attempted singles?

Well, Nuclear Family was released only as a promotional single. It's like Revolution Radio. It has a video but it isn't a single.

6 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Yes the song charted, because radio stations played it, I think, but Green Day never released it as a regular single.

That's exactly the reason why I love it so much! I don't normally like music this heavy but it's so different from the rest of Green Day's songs that I couldn't help but fall in love with it. :) It's really refreshing.

Apparently it was a single! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_Paradise

5 hours ago, End Of The World said:

What are your favorite GD songs that were not released as a single? Give reasons, so we can discuss about them. I'll start:

- Who Wrote Holden Caufield: I absolutely love the change of rhythm in the middle of the song, it's just so catchy.

- Burnout: great lyrics and a fantastic drum solo. Also, the beginning is one of my favorite part.

- Westbound Sign, 86: I love to play them. I also like the sound of Insomniac in general.

- Scattered: so emotional. Reminds me of Christmas and snow. The first time I listened to it was winter.

- Castaway: it's maybe one of the most exciting song to play on the bass.

- Whatshername: NOTHING TO SAY.

- Viva la Gloria: powerful, powerful, powerful.

- Nuclear Family: I really like the bassline and the final countdown.

- Forever Now: EPIC.

This so much

Letterbomb - just always loved the tempo and it always sounded like something id blast while driving to the beach

St Jimmy - powerful and love the lyrics and overall feel

American eulogy - love the two parts to the song

Burnout - me being a drummer, i love listening to and playing the solo

Scattered - always felt like a great nostalgic song

2000 light years away - love the message of the song

Last night on earth - such a nice cute relaxing song

9 minutes ago, Smitty said:

Letterbomb - just always loved the tempo and it always sounded like something id blast while driving to the beach

St Jimmy - powerful and love the lyrics and overall feel

American eulogy - love the two parts to the song

Burnout - me being a drummer, i love listening to and playing the solo

Scattered - always felt like a great nostalgic song

2000 light years away - love the message of the song

Last night on earth - such a nice cute relaxing song

Wasn't st  jimmy released as a single of bullet in a bible ? 

5 minutes ago, Stewe said:

Mmh, I don't think so...

Haushinka - such fun to play, the ringing guitar and amazing drumming in the verses make the song awesome. Mike's backing vocals are on point too.

At The Library - the fast guitar picking is great, harmonics are always fun really.

Horseshoes and Handgrenades - how catchy is this song?! Caught me off guard on 21CB

Coming Clean - I just love the meaning, plus it's brilliant in its simplicity.

8th Avenue Serenade - sorry not sorry

Forever Now - It's just an amazing song. 

Okay, I'm just gonna dive straight into this (sorry for everyone who doesn't have the time to read a short story :lol:)

Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?/One of My Lies - so relatable and extremely catchy.

80 - my absolute favourite song off Kerplunk!

Burnout - Tré's drum solo and fills in this song say it all.

Coming Clean, In the End and Emenius Sleepus - short and sweet! 

Bab's Uvula Who? - this has always been a favourite of mine from Insomniac (I'm gonna put Stuart and the Ave here as well!)

Scattered - so relatable and honest.

All the Time - this song is literally stuck in my head all the time.

Haushinka - this has always been a favourite of mine. Tré's drumming is absolutely ferocious!!

Prosthetic Head - a really great ending to Nimrod! 

Castaway - easily one of Green Day's catchiest tunes!

Misery - I like the different style that this track had and I also like how it tells a short story.

You Lied - I love the chorus on this track. 

Letterbomb - should have been a single. Personally, I think it's perfect! 

Homecoming - I love how all the guys get to sing on this song, and I absolutely ADORE the intro to it!

Whatsername - I don't think I need to explain this one!! :P

¡Viva la Gloria! - I love how it starts off mellow and subdued, but then the guitars, bass and drums just kick in in all of their glory!

American Eulogy - definitely one of my favourites from 21st Century Breakdown.

Stay the Night - I really enjoy this one. I think it's one of the best from the trilogy! 

Stop When the Red Lights Flash - really fun and catchy and fabulous played live!

Brutal Love - really heartfelt and emotional.

Say Goodbye - full of angst and anger, it's political and reminds me of Holiday a little, which I love! 

Bouncing Off the Wall - please see my username for reference.

Too Dumb to Die - extremely catchy and I love how it's about their youth! 

Troubled Times - describes the state of the world right now in a nutshell.  It's really emotional and reflective.

Forever Now - I love how the different parts blend together perfectly, and I particularly love the "I ain't gonna stand in line no more!" part.

Okay, I'm finished now! :D

24 minutes ago, bouncingoffthewallbja said:

Agreed. I will add Having a Blast, Church on Sunday and The Static Age as I don't think anyone has mentioned these yet

Rest - so beautiful in vocals, especially when there are two Billies singing in the same time :)

Who Wrote Holden Coulfied - very mature for young Green Day, also great bridge, song at the same level as WTP

Chump - I absolutely love the ending and how it turns into Longview.

86 - I love how they wrote about Gilman, and that performance on Letteman with red-haired BJ comes into mind

Prosthetic Head - one of my favourite GD songs. I have no fucking clue why they forgot it

Hold On - Cheerful, easy, with harmonica, I love to wake up listening to this one

Homecoming - an amazing tribute to the old school rock

Peacemaker - Green Day making a gypsy song is always nice, Misery was already fun, but this is executed much better (my father's favourite Green Day song)

Loss of Conrol - the "We're all crazy, you're all crazy now" line without instruments gets me all the time

Makeout Party - pure garagesque fun, and Mike's bass is on top

Brutal Love - beautiful and the arrangement is one of the best from Green Day

Somewhere/Forever Now - almost the same reasons as the Homecoming, great concept and lyrics also. 

46 minutes ago, Stewe said:

Not a true single, but you may be thinking of St. Jimmy's performance from BIAB being turned into a "music video". Fuse used to play it all the time.

35 minutes ago, bouncingoffthewallbja said:

Okay, I'm just gonna dive straight into this (sorry for everyone who doesn't have the time to read a short story :lol:)

Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?/One of My Lies - so relatable and extremely catchy.

80 - my absolute favourite song off Kerplunk!

Burnout - Tré's drum solo and fills in this song say it all.

Coming Clean, In the End and Emenius Sleepus - short and sweet! 

Bab's Uvula Who? - this has always been a favourite of mine from Insomniac (I'm gonna put Stuart and the Ave here as well!)

Scattered - so relatable and honest.

All the Time - this song is literally stuck in my head all the time.

Haushinka - this has always been a favourite of mine. Tré's drumming is absolutely ferocious!!

Prosthetic Head - a really great ending to Nimrod! 

Castaway - easily one of Green Day's catchiest tunes!

Misery - I like the different style that this track had and I also like how it tells a short story.

You Lied - I love the chorus on this track. 

Letterbomb - should have been a single. Personally, I think it's perfect! 

Homecoming - I love how all the guys get to sing on this song, and I absolutely ADORE the intro to it!

Whatsername - I don't think I need to explain this one!! :P

¡Viva la Gloria! - I love how it starts off mellow and subdued, but then the guitars, bass and drums just kick in in all of their glory!

American Eulogy - definitely one of my favourites from 21st Century Breakdown.

Stay the Night - I really enjoy this one. I think it's one of the best from the trilogy! 

Stop When the Red Lights Flash - really fun and catchy and fabulous played live!

Brutal Love - really heartfelt and emotional.

Say Goodbye - full of angst and anger, it's political and reminds me of Holiday a little, which I love! 

Bouncing Off the Wall - please see my username for reference.

Too Dumb to Die - extremely catchy and I love how it's about their youth! 

Troubled Times - describes the state of the world right now in a nutshell.  It's really emotional and reflective.

Forever Now - I love how the different parts blend together perfectly, and I particularly love the "I ain't gonna stand in line no more!" part.

Okay, I'm finished now! :D

Great post. I was so involved in reading it. :happy:

Archived