Unreleased Nimrod Session Tracks

Todd

All speculation, but I wonder if "You Irritate Me" became "Sick of Me" just in the sense that you could swap the titles for each other and they still work.

Example:

"Like a dog
That just pissed on your barbecue
You irritate me"

I don't know. Just guessing. :)

• Like 1

ok so I just did some more research and I also listened to a few songs, so here are my observations and opinions:

Richard Dodd- I found his website and he's listed that he mixed the Redundant and Time of your Life singles. (http://richarddodd.com/mixing.html ) I have the two CD singles for TOYL but I never got the ones for redundant, but after some research it looks like this guy remixed Redundant for the single and I guess he remixed Time of Your Life too.

You Lied- As mentioned before, the Time of your Life CD single credits this song to Allardyce as the recording engineer and it says that Dodd mixed it, yet the booklet for Shenanigans credits the recording to Kevin Army and the mix to Jerry Finn. personally, I feel like the credits on the single might have been a mistake, I think that Shenanigans is correct and that it was part of the Insomniac recording session. The biggest reason for this is the bass sound, the nimrod sessions Mike used a P-bass but he used his Gibson on Insomniac, and the bass tone (and playing style) sounds like Insomniac to me. Billie's kinda got the Insomniac style mumble/lower vocal tone goin on in this song too, and snare sound also makes me think it was from the Insomniac session. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

Sick of Me- so all of the songs on the CD single for Hitching A Ride are credited to Allardyce and Chris Lord-Alge, where as Shenanigans credits it to Allardyce and Neil King. I don't know which one is right, it makes no sense to me that King would have anything to do with one green day song over 3 years after he recorded dookie. It does sound like it's from the nimrod session though and also I love this song, but again it's kinda weird that it wasn't listed on that vocal checklist.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kyle Serlington said:

but again it's kinda weird that it wasn't listed on that vocal checklist.

Well, the first two lists have 10 songs each then the last one we can only see 9. Maybe it was the last song on that list. Or there may have been a fourth list too if they had more songs. 

4 minutes ago, Kyle Serlington said:

ok so I just did some more research and I also listened to a few songs, so here are my observations and opinions:

Richard Dodd- I found his website and he's listed that he mixed the Redundant and Time of your Life singles. (http://richarddodd.com/mixing.html ) I have the two CD singles for TOYL but I never got the ones for redundant, but after some research it looks like this guy remixed Redundant for the single and I guess he remixed Time of Your Life too.

You Lied- As mentioned before, the Time of your Life CD single credits this song to Allardyce as the recording engineer and it says that Dodd mixed it, yet the booklet for Shenanigans credits the recording to Kevin Army and the mix to Jerry Finn. personally, I feel like the credits on the single might have been a mistake, I think that Shenanigans is correct and that it was part of the Insomniac recording session. The biggest reason for this is the bass sound, the nimrod sessions Mike used a P-bass but he used his Gibson on Insomniac, and the bass tone (and playing style) sounds like Insomniac to me. Billie's kinda got the Insomniac style mumble/lower vocal tone goin on in this song too, and snare sound also makes me think it was from the Insomniac session. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

Sick of Me- so all of the songs on the CD single for Hitching A Ride are credited to Allardyce and Chris Lord-Alge, where as Shenanigans credits it to Allardyce and Neil King. I don't know which one is right, it makes no sense to me that King would have anything to do with one green day song over 3 years after he recorded dookie. It does sound like it's from the nimrod session though and also I love this song, but again it's kinda weird that it wasn't listed on that vocal checklist.

I wonder if the songs are the same mix wise it wouldn't be unheard of to have different mixes on songs that's placed on different albums 

5 minutes ago, Kyle Serlington said:

Also, I'm friends with Kevin on facebook. I'll message him right now and ask him if he remembers if he recorded it or not :P 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Todd said:

Also, I'm friends with Kevin on facebook. I'll message him right now and ask him if he remembers if he recorded it or not :P 

that's awesome! He doesn't do much recording anymore though, right? I always liked his stuff. The most recent thing I have that was recorded by him is the first Enemy You album, and that's from 16 or 17 years ago!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Kyle Serlington said:

that's awesome! He doesn't do much recording anymore though, right? I always liked his stuff. The most recent thing I have that was recorded by him is the first Enemy You album, and that's from 16 or 17 years ago!

I'm not sure! I think I heard in an interview he did a few years ago that he's retired. Anyways, he got back to me! Here's what he had to say:

"Sounds familier, so I'm guessing there's 2 versions of it? Just like we did a version of Good Riddance on that session that was an extra track on a German single, and then the hit version was done on the next lp. But I'm just guessing, it's been a long time!"

This made me think: what if they recorded You Lied for Insomniac, didn't release that version, and re-recorded it for Nimrod? Then when they had to go back and credit everything for Shenanigans, they accidentally used the credits for the first recording of it? There are so many possibilities. We know it was on an early track list for Insomniac, so it's very possible either way. The next best thing I can do is try to message Ken Allardyce, but these guys have worked with so many bands and songs, you can't expect them to know if it's a song they did or not. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Todd said:

I'm not sure! I think I heard in an interview he did a few years ago that he's retired. Anyways, he got back to me! Here's what he had to say:

"Sounds familier, so I'm guessing there's 2 versions of it? Just like we did a version of Good Riddance on that session that was an extra track on a German single, and then the hit version was done on the next lp. But I'm just guessing, it's been a long time!"

This made me think: what if they recorded You Lied for Insomniac, didn't release that version, and re-recorded it for Nimrod? Then when they had to go back and credit everything for Shenanigans, they accidentally used the credits for the first recording of it? There are so many possibilities. We know it was on an early track list for Insomniac, so it's very possible either way. The next best thing I can do is try to message Ken Allardyce, but these guys have worked with so many bands and songs, you can't expect them to know if it's a song they did or not. 

it was on an early track list for insomniac? I've never heard that before! any other noteworthy songs on that early track list?

also, any chance you could hit him up with a follow up message about the guitars Billie used on that recording? I assumed he used Blue but it would be cool if that could be confirmed. in another thread someone mentioned that they heard that Billie used a Fender Jagstang on it

24 minutes ago, Kyle Serlington said:

it was on an early track list for insomniac? I've never heard that before! any other noteworthy songs on that early track list?

also, any chance you could hit him up with a follow up message about the guitars Billie used on that recording? I assumed he used Blue but it would be cool if that could be confirmed. in another thread someone mentioned that they heard that Billie used a Fender Jagstang on it

IMG_0049.JPGIMG_0050.JPG
Just some early titles, like "All Wound Up", "Riot Song", and "Alright". Then the one one that starts with "Gett", not sure what that is. I'll ask Kevin about the guitars, I've been chatting with him. Wish we had more of these tracklist pictures! It's great that we at least have them for Insomniac, Nimrod, Warning, American Idiot, and the trilogy. They're always fun to look at

2 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

I wonder if Kevin has any cassettes from the sessions 

I can ask him that too

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Todd said:

Just some early titles, like "All Wound Up", "Riot Song", and "Alright". Then the one one that starts with "Gett", not sure what that is. I'll ask Kevin about the guitars, I've been chatting with him. Wish we had more of these tracklist pictures! It's great that we at least have them for Insomniac, Nimrod, Warning, American Idiot, and the trilogy. They're always fun to look at

I can ask him that too

I mean I know he wouldn't share them lol but curious if he has copies of the sessions

some engineers make copy of everything they record some don't some take whatever the band gives them copies of just always depend on the band and what's agreed upon 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

I mean I know he wouldn't share them lol but curious if he has copies of the sessions

some engineers make copy of everything they record some don't some take whatever the band gives them copies of just always depend on the band and what's agreed upon 

I asked him if there were any unreleased tracks from Insomniac, and he said he thinks everything was released on b-sides and Shenanigans, but he doesn't remember everything. It would be awesome if he had sessions, although I know he wouldn't share them

• Like 1

You Lied and Rotting are definitely from the Insomniac sessions. Same instrument tones as the Insomniac album.

From what I can tell, Sick of Me, Espionage, and D.U.I. were recorded in an additional session after the nimrod sessions. The session was mentioned in Heart Like a Hand Grenade when Billie talks about recording nimrod. "Plus an additional three" he said. The credits for those three songs match.

Didn't the band give a reason why DUI was excluded? They said they didn't want to accept responsibility for it or something. I remember when Shenanigans came out all the websites said the Japanese version had DUI as a bonus track. Well, I ordered it and it definitely wasn't on there. I was pretty mad.

Can anyone tell the difference between the album version and the Richard Dodd mix of Redundant? I can't. I can tell the difference between the two mixes of 2,000 Light Years Away but not this one.

42 minutes ago, Insomniac186 said:

Can anyone tell the difference between the album version and the Richard Dodd mix of Redundant? I can't. I can tell the difference between the two mixes of 2,000 Light Years Away but not this one.

These are the differences that I managed to pick up between the two mixes of Redundant, the two mixes of Prosthetic Head, and the two mixes of 2000 Light Years Away.

Redundant: The lead guitars are a lot louder / more audible than before. You can hear the arpeggiating-like chords throughout the song and the rhythm guitar changes volume throughout certain parts of the song. For an example, I managed to isolate these parts of the song on my YouTube channel:

Prosthetic head: A lot easier to hear the differences. I think it clips a little in some areas and the guitars sound a little more pronounced and audible. Thea drums are the biggest change though, the snare sounds entirely different. I don't have it in me right now to listen again and explain but it's a lot easier to tell the differences.

2000 Light Years Away: The drums, bass, and vocals are the biggest change as they sound a lot warmer than before as well as a little wider on the cymbals. I was able to phase-invert the track and make a really good sounding guitar backing track which tells me the guitars are the exact same. I can't post it online anywhere, though, because the Jerky Boys mix has automatic copyright takedown on like EVERY streaming site.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Insomniac186 said:

From what I can tell, Sick of Me, Espionage, and D.U.I. were recorded in an additional session after the nimrod sessions. The session was mentioned in Heart Like a Hand Grenade when Billie talks about recording nimrod. "Plus an additional three" he said. The credits for those three songs match.

How do the credits match for DUI? The credits in Shenanigans are mostly "spray painted" over, so how can you tell? 

If DUI is on the Nimrod session vocal overdub list, then it had to have been recorded with those others. It makes sense that Sick of Me and Espionage weren't since they're not on the list. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Todd said:

How do the credits match for DUI? The credits in Shenanigans are mostly "spray painted" over, so how can you tell? 

If DUI is on the Nimrod session vocal overdub list, then it had to have been recorded with those others. It makes sense that Sick of Me and Espionage weren't since they're not on the list. 

On the the link you posted in the first page there was a song called All around...Did you count that?

39 minutes ago, Δημήτρης Γκότσης said:

On the the link you posted in the first page there was a song called All around...Did you count that?

Assuming that meant to be All the Time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Δημήτρης Γκότσης said:

Why don't you make a thread about this for every album?:ga:

There's not much to investigate or discuss for other albums :P All I've got are lists 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Todd said:

Never mind, I went back and looked and at the Shenanigans booklet and Sick of Me, Espionage, and DUI all have the same credits as Suffocate and Desensitized. Yes, DUI's credits are blocked but there are some that are partially visible.

I definitely read somewhere in the past that Sick of Me, Espionage, and DUI were part of a separate session but it was years ago so I don't remember.

Now here's another nimrod-era track no one has mentioned: The Ballad of Wilhelm Fink. Anyone have a copy of Short Music for Short People so they can read the credits?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Insomniac186 said:

Never mind, I went back and looked and at the Shenanigans booklet and Sick of Me, Espionage, and DUI all have the same credits as Suffocate and Desensitized. Yes, DUI's credits are blocked but there are some that are partially visible.

I definitely read somewhere in the past that Sick of Me, Espionage, and DUI were part of a separate session but it was years ago so I don't remember.

Now here's another nimrod-era track no one has mentioned: The Ballad of Wilhelm Fink. Anyone have a copy of Short Music for Short People so they can read the credits?

There are no credits in the booklet for that song, just a picture of Green Day from 92ish with a yellow Nimrod "Green Day" logo. But since that was just Billie Joe solo and not really Green Day, I assume he probably recorded it in his home studio

I remember in some interview way back when they said they recorded you lied and rotting for insomniac. 

I feel like the credits on the single would be the the correct ones because they were released at right after the songs were reco