Unreleased Nimrod Session Tracks

Todd

On 20/11/2017 at 2:48 PM, Kyle Serlington said:

Also, I know the Insomniac recording list is in this thread too, it has a song called "Insomniac" on it and I was listening to an interview the other day where Billie confirmed that "Insomniac" is the original title for "Brain Stew"

During which interview did he say that ? :) 

On 11/22/2017 at 9:30 PM, mrduckygoosy said:

During which interview did he say that ? :) 

I can't remember, sorry. It was a radio interview I found on youtube though, and it might have actually been from the nimrod era

• Like 1

He's said that in a bunch of interviews over the years (although it gets a little confused), usually whenever the reference to the older album title being Tight Wad Hill is mentioned. I have a feeling it came up in one of those weird `unofficial` dvds like `Pogo Paradise` that had interviews with Winston Smith and the likes. It seems fairly straightforward that Brain Stew probably used the title being the one song about insomnia, then it was used for the album title instead.

"Before the name Insomniac was decided on, the band considered naming the album Tight Wad Hill (after track 13 on the album). After visiting collage artist Winston Smith for the album cover, Billie Joe Armstrong asked him how he managed to make such intricate pieces in such short times. Smith answered: "It's easy for me. I am an insomniac."[5] Armstrong himself has said that the album title comes from his own insomnia, after having been woken up frequently during the night due to his son's screams, Joey. Armstrong also mentions his insomnia in the song "Brain Stew"."

I remember seeing somewhere many years ago that "Jesus Christ Supermarket" was a title they considered for Insomniac.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

I remember seeing somewhere many years ago that "Jesus Christ Supermarket" was a title they considered for Insomniac.

That’s true

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

That’s true

Is it really?:lol: I thought that was just a joke that Billie made on twitter.

26 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Is it really?:lol: I thought that was just a joke that Billie made on twitter.

I thought it was. Can anyone else confirm?

58 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I thought it was. Can anyone else confirm?

they definitely mentioned that in a 90s interview

here ya go everyone, 5 minutes in...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great interview, i always thought that Billie Joe used Blue on Hitchin' A Ride considering how he always uses it to play the song live, i wonder if he uses Blue for the solo.

• 3 months later...

Apologies if this was already mentioned, but I (think) I remember hearing that Nimrod was originally going to be called "From the Basement" or something like that. I've tried confirming that, but haven't found anything.

Does anyone else remember hearing this?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, romie1415 said:

Apologies if this was already mentioned, but I (think) I remember hearing that Nimrod was originally going to be called "From the Basement" or something like that. I've tried confirming that, but haven't found anything.

Does anyone else remember hearing this?

I have never heard that. Very interesting, I'd love to know if that's true.

• 1 year later...
54 minutes ago, Todd said:

I thought I'd bump this just to add that the new Nimrod studio footage shows the end of the third list, Espionage. That's all we were missing. Also, in this interview, the engineer says that Last Ride In is the 26th song he's mixed so far in this session. So out of all 30 songs, at least 26 of them were mixed. 18 tracks of Nimrod, the four b-sides, and DUI- that's 23 songs that we have, so there are still another 3 songs that we haven't heard that received final mixes :D 
Nimrod Lists.PNG

I also noticed that Sick of Me is not on the lists. I wonder if "You Irritate Me" could have been the working title for it

In these new videos Billie say that they've had another surf song, but I didin't catch the name. Did you see this?

2 minutes ago, Alf said:

In these new videos Billie say that they've had another surf song, but I didin't catch the name. Did you see this?

Yes, that's where they were talking about Espionage

• Like 2

Why wasn't on that way Billie?? 

You Lied is in Eb tone, and in Insomniac promote video list, so I think that the engineers of shenanigans are correct and it was recorded for Insomniac. 

On 12/4/2016 at 9:45 PM, Maddie86 said:

first off, great research! I love this shit, especially since nimrod is one of my favorite albums. I wanna point a couple things out though. Espionage wouldn't have been on that list, it's an instrumental and that's a vocal overdub list. but then again, Last Ride in is on it, weird, maybe it originally had vocals! Also, look at the credits from Shenanigans. The nimrod session was recorded by Ken Allardyce and mixed by Chris Lord-Alge. Suffocate, Desensitized, and Espionage all list Ken and Chris in the credits. Rotting and You Lied list Kevin Army and Jerry Finn for the recording and mixing credits, so I think it's a safe assumption that those were part of the insomniac sessions. I forget which, but one of the Green Day books I have said that there were 20 or more songs recorded for insomniac, so when you count the 14 on the album plus Rotting, You Lied, Do Da Da, I Wanna Be On TV, and Don't Wanna Fall In Love then that gets you close to filling in that session (maybe the demo of Good Riddance counts for that session too). Now we have Sick of Me left, and I'm not quite sure how this one fits. Sick was recorded by Ken Allardyce, but it was mixed by Neil King, who is the recording (not mix) engineer from Dookie, so that's kinda odd that he would just mix that one song

J. A. R. Is the 20th track that is missing in your Insomniac list

On 1/13/2021 at 4:37 PM, Todd said:

I thought I'd bump this just to add that the new Nimrod studio footage shows the end of the third list, Espionage. That's all we were missing. Also, in this interview, the engineer says that Last Ride In is the 26th song he's mixed so far in this session. So out of all 30 songs, at least 26 of them were mixed. 18 tracks of Nimrod, the four b-sides, and DUI- that's 23 songs that we have, so there are still another 3 songs that we haven't heard that received final mixes :D 
Nimrod Lists.PNG

I also noticed that Sick of Me is not on the lists. I wonder if "You Irritate Me" could have been the working title for it

Since Sick of Me wasn't mixed with the original set of songs, does that mean there's another unheard song that was mixed?

On 12/4/2016 at 8:17 PM, Todd said:

I was thinking that too, but then I realize you'd have to switch perspectives. Sick of me is about someone being sick of the narrator, if it was sung "you irritate me" then it'd be the narrator being sick of someone else. 

I'm thinking this is why the song was mixed later. Either the lyrics weren't finished or they didn't flow well. So the lyrics were finalized after the main sessions, they recorded new vocals, mixed it, and put it out as a b-side. All speculation, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 9:58 PM, Sheenius said:

Wow amazing thread here thanks to all of those that contributed. 19th Nervous Breakdown may have been finished or re-recorded later. From my understanding it was also on the completed tracklist for C&V. 

Nimrod is a special album for the band, it's really the beginning of their departure from their classic era and sound. It really shows in how many songs the band had prepared for it. It sucks that some got put aside in the sessions to possibly never be revisited or see the light of day.

I always felt like one day the vault could be opened, there's so many songs between Nimrod and C&V eras that we haven't heard. 

There is no complete track list of C&V...

• Like 2