Any chance of Ordinary World (song) being nominated at the Oscars?

blueshadows

The thread about the Grammys me wonder if Ordinary World has any chance at an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song.

It might be hard to win due to competition from Moana (co-written by Hamilton's Lin Manuel Miranda who is deservingly a media and critic darling) but a nomination would be amazing.

To be considered they would have to be some campaigning needed though. Ordinary World is a great song so to have some recognition would be for sure deserving.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be difficult. And IMO Ordinary World (the song, I mean) it's not so good to win an Oscar.

18 minutes ago, End Of The World said:

It would be difficult. And IMO Ordinary World (the song, I mean) it's not so good to win an Oscar.

Yeah I agree I mean I like the song, but nominated for an oscar :lol: I don't think we should worry if they get awards or not imo second thread in a row I notice concerns for this stuff.

ordinary world (movie) is more indie so slim to none chance of it even being NOMINATED. 

We've had a Nobel prize thread, Grammy thread, now Oscars...all of these are either unlikely or downright impossible. I demand an answer to the only real question: can Billie Joe win Sexiest Man Alive???

Isn't big enough of a film for it. Could be the greatest song of all time but to have a chance it would have to be in a notable film.

7 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

It would be really cool but it's just not realistic. 

Yeah, maybe in a different universe where the socks with stripes are the queens and kings :D I love socks with stripes :D 

4 minutes ago, crock6000 said:

I'm not usually that guy but I hate when the forum is convoluted. Why not post this I'm the existing Grammy thread? You even mentioned the thread in your post.

I was about to post about the Oakland underground party which at least 9 were killed and I decided it was not enough Green Day related for the main forum so I put it in RGDN.

All I'm saying is maybe analyze if a thread should be created or not. I don't personally think we need a Grammy thread for each song. But hey, that's just me.

It's true that whether something could fit in an existing thread should be considered so it is good advice to do that before you make one, but it's not a big deal if there's one about something more specific from time to time even if it could've fit in an existing one either. In any case if the mod team thinks it really should've been in an existing thread we can merge it with it. We don't want to put people off making new threads so we tend to think it's better to say go ahead and make one if you want and don't worry about it.

Well a song has to be good to be nominated for, let alone win an award. Ordinary World is not. It's mediocre as fuck

4 hours ago, Alan86 said:

Does it still count as an original song since it appeared on Revolution Radio?

It was written for the film then released on the album afterwards, so probably would be eligible.  The chances of it even being nominated, let alone winning, are neglibible though - it's a tiny independent film.

3 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

Well a song has to be good to be nominated for, let alone win an award. Ordinary World is not. It's mediocre as fuck

Maybe we appreciate it less just because we have Good Riddance in our playlists. I think like Ordinary World is just a try to re-make it. That one could win the Oscar, because it's so deep and original...

Just now, End Of The World said:

Maybe we appreciate it less just because we have Good Riddance in our playlists. I think like Ordinary World is just a try to re-make it. That one could win the Oscar, because it's so deep and original...

My problem with OW is it's trying to recreate an acoustic song like Good Riddance and a perfect closer like Whatsername after a 7+ minute epic, which seems like an attempt to get some success (Not saying that's what GD is doing, this song just makes it look like that's what they're doing). But it failed because GR and Whatsername and both miles better and GR isn't even one of my favourite songs.

I was kinda worried about the album when I found out that OW was gonna be on the album. Luckily it's the only bad song on the album

16 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I was kinda worried about the album when I found out that OW was gonna be on the album. Luckily it's the only bad song on the album

I guess it's a matter of personal taste but I'd say revrad and Youngblood are both worse imo. 

30 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

My problem with OW is it's trying to recreate an acoustic song like Good Riddance and a perfect closer like Whatsername after a 7+ minute epic, which seems like an attempt to get some success (Not saying that's what GD is doing, this song just makes it look like that's what they're doing). But it failed because GR and Whatsername and both miles better and GR isn't even one of my favourite songs.

Feels like everyone here tries to see how it compares to older material to judge if it's good or not. I do not even see them trying to recreate anything. :lol: 

I'm not saying that Ordinary World is a bad song. I just think that it lives in the shadow of a famous masterpiece. I agree with MysticManiac about Forever Now. It should have been the closer. I always feel satisfied after listening to the 11 songs on the album. I'd have put it between TT and FN (closer).

12 minutes ago, End Of The World said:

I'm not saying that Ordinary World is a bad song. I just think that it lives in the shadow of a famous masterpiece. I agree with MysticManiac about Forever Now. It should have been the closer. I always feel satisfied after listening to the 11 songs on the album. I'd have put it between TT and FN (closer).

You can just cut it off after Forever Now :lol: 

1 minute ago, Eric said:

You can just cut it off after Forever Now :lol: 

Well, yes:lol: But I know I'll feel guilty.

13 minutes ago, End Of The World said:

Well, yes:lol: But I know I'll feel guilty.

I do it all the time and I fail to see how it would make someone feel guilty :huh: 

3 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I demand an answer to the only real question: can Billie Joe win Sexiest Man Alive???

I think the answer you're looking for is yes :lol:

Archived