Kerrang! To Release A Green Day Cover Album December 7

1 hour ago, 21guns&novacaine said:

Holy fucking shit, Andy's doing 21 Guns?! :woot: I don't recognize any of the others, but I'm feeling pretty excited about this one, even if it is a fuck up. My favorite GD song of all time plus one of my favorite artists. 

I was waiting for your reaction to this!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never heard of most of those bands either, but if they are "up-and-coming" and young, it's a pretty nice idea. Wonder why Dog Party didn't do a cover then, Billie is so crazy about them lately ;)

But I don't like cover albums in general, they just make me cringe, so I will listen to exactly those songs performed by no one else but Green Day as a tribute :)

Seems like the level of bands they could get to do this has decreased sharply since the last one, only heard of Twin Atlantic and Andy Black. Twin Atlantic are alright and I can imagine the singer's voice working well for Good Riddance. Have to wait and see for the rest, should be interesting! Most interested to hear a Hitchin A Ride cover.

5 hours ago, crock6000 said:

Hahahaha! Brill.

4 hours ago, Jenn. said:

Favourite quote from this thread

Haha, thanks.

In regards to the artists themselves, I know of most of them, except for Puppy, Hellions, and Louise Distras. However, knowing some of the work of these artists, I am not overtly hopeful, but I also don't think it will be a disaster.

A friend of mine on the other hand, who loves Waterparks and the Interruptors, has faith in this because Milk Teeth has a part in this. So we shall see .

Basically Kerrang's Twitter (@KerrangMagazine) are milking this for all they're worth! Many more tweets on there!

20 hours ago, MysticManiac said:

Seriously if you think that, die.

If he pisses you off that much stop replying to him

17 hours ago, crock6000 said:
10 hours ago, crock6000 said:

Wtf?! How do you know I'm a Gator? Who's this?

My prediction is that we get our ass beat down by many many many 

You had mentioned watching a game before  -- I promise I'm not a stalker. And I agree with your prediction.

Excited to hear the Xcerts one. They're a really good band, they're from Scotland so for those who like Scottish vocalists you might like it!

They're from Aberdeen rather than Glasgow, but if you're not Scottish you may not be able to tell the difference...

They also did Helena by MCR a couple of years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrP_bTOotFQ

10 hours ago, Paola17 said:

Yeah, just came on here after a listen.

I have to admit I went from hating it to liking it a lot and back again to hating it. I think I landed on liked it for what it is, a different way to listen to Basket Case for a bit. I like to have new ways to listen to old songs I love but don't listen to anymore. This falls into that category.

Not too bad Roam, buttttt not too great either.

As much as I want to like it....no.   Just no.

I enjoy hearing Green Day cover other musicians and they've helped me find all sorts of cool music.   But they are such a great band, when other people try to do their songs they just fall flat.  Meh.  

Bleh.  

FDSLKHF:LDJLSeh.  

*feel-like-cellos*

10 hours ago, Paola17 said:

Only heard this one so far, not had a chance to pick up the magazine yet.  It's ok, not great but could've been a lot worse.  It certainly won't be replacing the original on my iPod.  It's just a bit bland, I get the feeling that it'll sound great done live, but recorded it's just nothing special at all.  They've taken an excellent song and made it ok.  But as I said, could have been so much worse.

13 hours ago, Shahd said:

The cover photo is just weird and unflattering :/

I actually quite like the style of it!

Haven't heard any of the covers yet (and it won't be in our shops til tomorrow) but i dunno if reinventing the songs was their goal? i think it's just a standard homage (after all, it is a CD you're getting free with a magazine, if they were actually any good they'd probably release it themselves :lol: 

Ugh, only listened to Basket Case. Now I remember why I hate covers of my favourite bands. :ermm:

15 hours ago, Shahd said:

The cover photo is just weird and unflattering :/

Funny, I like the cover pic because they are not photoshopped like hell to look like 44-year-old babies. They just look like (extremely hot) 44-year-olds :lol:

I went into town to see if I could get hold of a copy of this earlier today but was told they wouldn't have it until tomorrow.  Not sure if I'll be able to get it then. I did pick up last week's while I was there and there's an article about it with a cool picture of Billie. I don't have a scanner but will try to photograph it tomorrow in the daylight if no one else has posted it then.

This is so boring and predictable. Typical pop-punk band with typical generic melodic sound which kills all originality. 

I love Green Day but I hate pop-punk as a genre. (anyway, not a contradiction, since GD is nowhere near Pop-punk)

Ok, I just don't get the point of this compilation. The world didn't need it. We already know GD is great. A generalization of their most famous songs wasn't necessary. At least it confirmed that GD is the only band that can play GD songs.

20 hours ago, Paola17 said:

Ooooh I like this, great cover, and I'm not just saying this because Basket Case is my favorite song. I really liked all small additions to the instrumental track and the backing vocals and the solo.

1 hour ago, Nowhere Man said:

This is so boring and predictable. Typical pop-punk band with typical generic melodic sound which kills all originality. 

I love Green Day but I hate pop-punk as a genre. (anyway, not a contradiction, since GD is nowhere near Pop-punk)

Green Day IS pop punk

Archived