Still Breathing Official Music Video

Grinch

You see more in this video every time  you watch it again. I love the mother looking at her phone, at the picture of her daughter and grandbaby, I can imagine her pain of wanting to be with them. I love the soldier, dismissing the gun, and finding peace elswhere. The woman in white, searching for her answers...I also admire Billie Joe's acting at the end, he puts a lot of emotions into that one shot:  he's hesitant, apologetic, almost afraid to rejoin the band  after what he went through, and put them through. Beautiful stuff.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really liked the parts with Billie, Mike and tre....not so much the other people ...i would love to see even more Green day in it.. 

I thought it was pretty awesome, probably one of their best videos.

Wow, I have a whole new appreciation for that song after watching the video. I'll admit, I didn't love the song as much as some of the other new ones. This video really took it to another level for me. For me, it brought to life such a range of emotions - despair, confusion, frustration, forgiveness, hope, and the promise of new beginnings. I know it was already mentioned, but the end shot where Billie joins Mike and Tre... Just beautifully done.

Just got home and watched the music video.  Not what I was expecting, and it looked weird with Billie not singing the song but after 3 viewings I'm fairly certain I like it.   

Not really sure what's going on with the other people.  The lady with the cell phone - what's the deal?   

The young girl wondering around - what's her deal?   

Let's get deep and philosophical.   What does this video mean?  

Anyone else notice how Mike and Billie looked like they were trying too hard to look sad?  I'm sure I'll grow to understand and appreciate it, but I sort of wanted to see the band playing the song together and not looking totally bummed the F(woo) out.  

ANYWAY.   This is my favorite single from the guys in years and I'm super excited.  I haven't heard this one on the radio yet, but that might be because I have Green Day CDs blasting every time I drive.  

I hope this song reaches some new fans, who love the song so much they look up this mysterious "Green Day" and discover that their actually an amazing band.   And poof, new GDA member!

I can't believe it's been almost 20 years since I heard "Good Riddance" on the radio while going to school.  I was 11 years old and now I'm 31.  

From surviving those tough middle school years with Nimrod - to learning about friendship and love with Warning - relating to American Idiot in all the wrong ways in my early 20s -  losing my mother and getting married during the Breakdown Era - Going through a divorce and drinking way too much during the Trilogy Era - and resetting and starting anew with them in these modern times.   

F(woo) I love this band!   

This song blows me away. 

19 hours ago, RougeRogue said:

Had to watch it more than once to really take it in but yeah, seeing them play just the two of them was surprisingly effective imagery. I think the solo mic shots hit is a little over the head, but yeah.

Also for the love of god, the duck shot? Really? That was the best thing you had in that footage? Come on...it's a duck.

(Sorry ya'll, I'm an editor so this stuff extends beyond my hobbies and into my professional work. I def think about it differently than I used to :lol:)

Three toed Tree sloth for the win.

I wasn't sure at first, but this is quickly becoming one of my most favourite videos of theirs. Time for some interpretation: who are the characters? For most of them, it's pretty straightforward: the child is looking off on the horizon, the soldier is coming home for the first time, the farmer is the loser who's throwing away his last cards and the old lady could be the mother who barely kept it together when her man passed away. But who's the white-dressed woman?

I think she might represent Billie's soul: getting lost into a high forest, walking through dangerous paths and dodging sharp branches that almost look like the thorns of a rose (I don't think that's intentional, but "my head's above the rain and roses"), making her way out of the forest just to walk on the ledge of a cliff and finally touching solid ground again and walking homeward - home being represented by the big rock she's approaching at the end. Because that rock, just like family and friends, is gonna be there forever.

Also she's wearing black heavy shoes throughout the video (we have a glimpse of them when she's standing on the ledge), but guess what? In the last scene her feet are bare, meaning that the soul has been cleansed, is now pure and can come back home with no need to conceal anything under the heaviness of those dirty shoes which had been treading such awful paths.

Just my interpretation of course, but I bet there are many other gems hidden here and there.

1 minute ago, Jake69 said:

The music video is currently the 15th most trending video on YouTube. Gaining views very fast. 

I just watched it 10,000 times in a row.  

But seriously - us goofy GDA users are the ones viewing it and making it blow up like that.   

It gets better and better after each viewing.   

18 minutes ago, Master Roshi said:

I wasn't sure at first, but this is quickly becoming one of my most favourite videos of theirs. Time for some interpretation: who are the characters? For most of them, it's pretty straightforward: the child is looking off on the horizon, the soldier is coming home for the first time, the farmer is the loser who's throwing away his last cards and the old lady could be the mother who barely kept it together when her man passed away. But who's the white-dressed woman?

I think she might represent Billie's soul: getting lost into a high forest, walking through dangerous paths and dodging sharp branches that almost look like the thorns of a rose (I don't think that's intentional, but "my head's above the rain and roses"), making her way out of the forest just to walk on the ledge of a cliff and finally touching solid ground again and walking homeward - home being represented by the big rock she's approaching at the end. Because that rock, just like family and friends, is gonna be there forever.

Also she's wearing black heavy shoes throughout the video (we have a glimpse of them when she's standing on the ledge), but guess what? In the last scene her feet are bare, meaning that the soul has been cleansed, is now pure and can come back home with no need to conceal anything under the heaviness of those dirty shoes which had been treading such awful paths.

Just my interpretation of course, but I bet there are many other gems hidden here and there.

This video's a masterpiece.

She's the one "walking out on the ledge and is scared to death to live."  That does go in line with what you said about it representing Billie Joe.   He says "I" walked out on the ledge, but then asks if "you" are scared to death to live.  Is he asking himself this question or someone else?   

Hmmm.   

Just now, Jake69 said:

YouTube is very inconsistent with their view count. It gets stuck very frequently. Especially when it's gaining views fast in a small period of time.

Does the views ever catch up?  Because the view count has not changed in hours

The woman in white is the unifying force, she is the journey and the search for answers that Billie Joe, all the characters, and the listeners endure in their lives. She is the bridge of the song...'Are you scared to death, to live?' out on a ledge; then she is off the ledge, on solid ground...whatever anyone's "solid ground" may be.

i think i'm misunderstanding  something... But what's with the 99% greenscreen video? Was a rumor or something? Help

22 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Does the views ever catch up?  Because the view count has not changed in hours

It will.  Likes and comments are real-time, but subscribers and views are on a slight delay.  Should all be accurate ~48 hours after (so it will lag a bit until the view rate dies down).

25 minutes ago, Around since 198fking8 said:

i think i'm misunderstanding  something... But what's with the 99% greenscreen video? Was a rumor or something? Help

Yeah, what's up with that? 

16 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

The greatest Green Day song ever!   

Whoo hang on there;)

Love the song & video.

This video is a fairly obvious, straightforward interpretation of the song, but it's executed well. I appreciate it, for what it is.

9 hours ago, Slash said:

#Stopbullyingjason

sry jason, love you

7 hours ago, Hermione said:

Thought he was famous for it :lol: 

Exxxxactly 

"this video about a song written about addiction/depression/anxiety is *too* angsty" 

COME THE FUCK ON, like, how is that your hot take?  What alternate plane of reality do you exist on??? Jfc 

21 minutes ago, Cheap Escape said:

This video is a fairly obvious, straightforward interpretation of the song, but it's executed well. I appreciate it, for what it is.

Honestly, Green Day get themselves in trouble all the time by trying to be too cute/complex, this video captured the subtlety of addiction without ever really describing it. I was expecting them to try and do too much at some point, but they never did. I don't really know why you'd want this song interpreted any differently. 

Besides the counter not moving for me - how's the views going compared to the other revrad videos?

Archived