Still Breathing Official Music Video

Grinch

Not what I was expecting. 

At this point it's really hard to say how this video will be a hit or miss for me.

What I like

- the brooding Mike, Tre, and Billie ;)

- That shot of Billie in the car :ga: ( fangirling) 

- that there are no horrid masks

- the artistic flair to the video

What I dislike

- The man hands on the lady ( sorry :sorry:)

- Too many additional characters- I kind have hoped for it to be a focused story on Billie- or at least a characterization like WMUWSE

It would be nice if all the characters stories come together in a triumphant ending. 

5 hours ago, Stefano Bras said:

It looks like I'm not emotionally prepared for this video.

Dude, that shot with Billie on the car... damn.

:ga: YES!

edit: jut saw that some people saw the whole video. I am just commenting on the clip. 

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The video overall seems like it isnt focused enough. I wanted it to be more focused on billie since the song is mainly centered around him, but thats just my preference. Though the shots of the other random people seemed a little strange. Towards the end the video got a little better but overall it was meh.

Wow... Mike and Tré playing by themselves and then right at the end when the song finishes, Billie opens the door... coming back (from rehab).

That was some emotional shit.

12 minutes ago, Stefano Bras said:

Wow... Mike and Tré playing by themselves and then right at the end when the song finishes, Billie opens the door... coming back (from rehab).

That was some emotional shit.

I'm happy they included Billie's storyline in that way. I'm sure that's reflective of when Billie was actually away dealing with himself. The other storylines just add to how it can relate to anyone of all backgrounds and ages but in the end you take one huge breath and keep going, still breathing. 

I loved the ending, wow, I got chills when he showed up to rejoin the band. I liked the video, I liked the different characters, with Billie as the "anchor", the common thread.  

My only complaint with the video was that I was hoping for like the last 30 seconds or so, Billie was gonna make his way back to Mike and Tré and play with them because he is "still breathing". Thought that would have been cool though,  but Can't complain though I guess because the video was still excellent!

I was about to be really upset if Billie never made it back to Mike and Tre.

Thought the video was kind of meh until Billie got back to them.

Also, how sad was it to just see Mike and Tre playing without Billie?

I just burst into tears at the end, so this video did what I figured it should do. :lol:

Seriously though, that ending was so incredibly poignant. I kinda don't know what to say beyond just saying that I loved it and it means a lot.

Eh I was let down by it the end was great and when they showed the band was good should've cut out the other people and focused on the band and the scenary

I'm kind of confused on how people think the video isn't focused enough? it's a pretty literal interpretation of the lyrics...the "older" woman is definitely the mother trying to keep it together and we have the solider with a gun who does not end up taking his life? like...? pretty clear people....

i just wish it had focused more on the band like I said earlier, but I do totally comprehend where they were going with the other shots in the video.

sometimes I worry about our future if this shit seems too criptic to understand....

25 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

I just burst into tears at the end, so this video did what I figured it should do. :lol:

Seriously though, that ending was so incredibly poignant. I kinda don't know what to say beyond just saying that I loved it and it means a lot.

Same here. I think it was lovely. I am glad it wasn't 100% focused on Billie and kept him as one of the storylines of the thread throughout the video- in a sense, it was a way of stating "this is about Billie and what he went through and overcame, but it can apply to all of us as we all overcome obstacles in life that at times seem insurmountable". Now that the song has had a chance to sink in and become familiar, I've become to view it as one of the most relatable songs they've ever written. It's so triumphant and so incredibly applicable to all of us- at some point, we all face extreme adversity and we either overcome or succumb. This song is about the joy and triumph of overcoming our challenges. The video does a great job of acknowledging Billie's victory, and also provides a great acknowledgement that it's universal to all of us who have faced a challenge and succeeded.

I love it, as huge fans all of us on this board can celebrate Billie's achievement and this video is a testament to what he overcame. And for everyone, huge fans and the casual fan alike, this video does a great job applying the themes of perseverance and survival to times of challenge. The song's an A+, and the video succeeds in its mission. As a longtime huge fan, I couldn't be happier about the current situation.

Wow. I actually really like this video! The production is absolutely beautiful. I especially love the sequence of events with Billie. He starts out looking hopeless and miserable, laying on the ground. Then, he gets the strength to stand up on his two feet again and starts singing the chorus in a sense of liberation! (That part gave me chills) Of course Billie finding his way back to Mike and Tre is a great way to end it. I think those scenes alone are perfect. The only downside, in my opinion, is the addition of different people throughout. Although I was expecting it and I understand why they included them, I really wish they focused a little more on the band and less on the randoms. 

I didn't think it was possible, but the video made me love the song even more! <3

i honestly went into this not expecting much since the preview looked pretty boring, but just seeing mike and tre playing without billie made me so sad :( the ending was perfect too, i might have gotten a little teary over it. 

it's kind of easy now in retrospect to forget how close we came to losing green day but then they do something like this and it makes me super emotional every time :P 

Okay, that shot of Mike looking up like he could hear Billie yelling toward the end got to me a bit, I'll admit. 

I liked how subtle it was about its depiction of depression and suicidal ideation. The imagery was nice. I didn't mind the other people. It might have felt a bit too self-indulgent without them. 

Had to watch it more than once to really take it in but yeah, seeing them play just the two of them was surprisingly effective imagery. I think the solo mic shots hit is a little over the head, but yeah.

Also for the love of god, the duck shot? Really? That was the best thing you had in that footage? Come on...it's a duck.

(Sorry ya'll, I'm an editor so this stuff extends beyond my hobbies and into my professional work. I def think about it differently than I used to :lol:)

14 minutes ago, Haushinka! said:

Then, he gets the strength to stand up on his two feet again and starts singing the chorus in a sense of liberation! (That part gave me chills) 

I loved that part, too. He begins looking so hopeless, but by the time the bridge rolls around he feels it enough to believe it and sing it. Very, very powerful.

This song is, to me, their most unifying and uplifting song by far. There's a ton of emotion and a hell of a lot of experience behind the words, but it can translate to so many different challenges in life. It makes you feel proud to be alive, and proud of the people you care about for still being alive through their struggles, too. To make people feel like that is pretty special.

26 minutes ago, Giusey said:

Does anyone know where i can watch the video as the video on mtv website is copyrighted

Same - help anyone.

I am pretty robotic and lack most human emotions, and that video made me have feelings.  I loved it.  It is brilliant in its simplicity and I like that the end wasn't "we are all fine and going to party", but "we're all still pretty messed up, but here".  And I have to fangirl....my friends and I always used to say Mulder was at his hottest in The X-Files when he was sad or getting his ass kicked-Billie Joe has that same quality.  So. Hot.  And feelings.  I don't know what to do with feelings.  Oy.

Will watch a few more times before I have my final thoughts put together.

As for my initial thoughts-the preview did a good job in giving us what the video is-various story lines centered around a common theme. Some of the shots...wow-the cinematography is great.

Mike's expressions in the video-great. Given the information we know/have put together, they definitely feel in place and genuine. The sense of not knowing and hoping for the best, especially when he looks up towards the ceiling. The lone mic really solidified that as well.

Not sure how I feel about Billie suddenly singing the end chorus as he didn't really sing throughout the rest of the video-bit too spur of the moment, but I didn't hate it. I guess it's fitting. 
End shot in which he reunites with Mike and Tre is just :cry: beautiful.

Glad to see the girl didn't jump off.

I thought this was a beautiful music video. The representation of all the characters in his song is great. The storyline of Billie dealing with his troubles and coming out of it all back to the band is a pretty beautiful sight as well :) 

I feel like I just watched a movie in 4 minutes.

Cool video. Kind of reminds me of WMUWSE in places. It's an interesting one to know what should be done with it because it's a big song, so something with loads of energy might work too, but the reflective tone of the lyrics do lend themselves well to something more cinematic. 

I thought it was simple and touching. Wonderful videography and pretty scenery were definitely a plus, but plot is straightforward and creative at the same time; loved it!

Archived