Anyone else's Revolution Radio vinyl skipping?

Dylan123

Hi everyone. First time poster but a long time lurker of GDC. 

Just got my Rev Rad red vinyl for the GD store. I love it, but the only problem is that Somewhere Now and Bang Bang skip like crazy.

Was wondering if anyone else here is experiencing this problem, or am I just unlucky with both my records? I know it's not my turn table because I just tested out American Idiot and Insomniac and both play flawlessly. I guess I'll email the Green Day store and see if I can get an Exchnage or refund? I dunno...

I apologize if this has been posted/answered already, but when I searched to see, I didn't see anything on it. 

Thanks!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't had to chance to listen to my vinyl's yet but when I get a chance I'll see if it happens to me too. Hoping it's just an unlucky incident for you and not a widespread issue, if it is widespread then that's gonna really suck.

8 minutes ago, Dylan123 said:

Hi everyone. First time poster but a long time lurker of GDC. 

Just got my Rev Rad red vinyl for the GD store. I love it, but the only problem is that Somewhere Now and Bang Bang skip like crazy. Ironically enough, I have the green vinyl from fye as well, and only the first two songs skip on that as well. It's just got me bummed out.

Was wondering if anyone else here is experiencing this problem, or am I just unlucky with both my records? I know it's not my turn table because I just tested out American Idiot and Insomniac and both play flawlessly. I guess I'll email the Green Day store and see if I can get an Exchnage or refund? I dunno...

I apologize if this has been posted/answered already, but when I searched to see, I didn't see anything on it. 

Thanks!

I've had the same problem. What kind of record player do you have?

I've heard that a few people have been having this issue. If it is widespread, this is going to cause a huge problem for Warner.

I'm going to actually buy a turntable (wasn't a priority at the moment) and test out my copy when it arrives. It's better to not put it off.

I haven't gotten mine yet but I hope this isn't a widespread issue. I'll be pissed if it is.

22 minutes ago, Cunt said:

I've had the same problem. What kind of record player do you have?

It's called a Jensen JTA 230. Not the top of the line but it's a neat little thing for what it is! But the skipping just makes the first two tracks unlistenable. 

I've seen a few complaints of people having warped records, is your copy warped? Or at least appearing to look wavy in light? That really sucks if they let who knows how many copies of corrupt vinyls out to excited fans without having any kind of quality inspection? Isn't that part of the production of a vinyl is for them to test them before packaging? 

6 minutes ago, 21guns&novacaine said:

I've seen a few complaints of people having warped records, is your copy warped? Or at least appearing to look wavy in light? That really sucks if they let who knows how many copies of corrupt vinyls out to excited fans without having any kind of quality inspection? Isn't that part of the production of a vinyl is for them to test them before packaging? 

It's a tad bit warped, but not much. It's noticeable only if you really look at it. 

That doesnt even bother me as much as the skipping does though 

Just now, Dylan123 said:

It's a tad bit warped, but not much. It's notidable only if you really look at it. 

That doesnt even bother me as much as the skipping does though 

Oh okay. I don't have a lot of experience with vinyls, but I know with CD's, sometimes warping can affect the playback and sometimes not. :\ It sure sucks that a lot of people are having this problem. 

18 minutes ago, Dylan123 said:

It's called a Jensen JTA 230. Not the top of the line but it's a neat little thing for what it is! But the skipping just makes the first two tracks unlistenable. 

Does it have a wait control on it?

Just now, Cunt said:

18 minutes ago, Dylan123 said:

Oh fuck. Weight*

2 minutes ago, Cunt said:

Oh fuck. Weight*

no, I don't believe it does. 

34 minutes ago, Dylan123 said:

no, I don't believe it does. 

That is probably the source of the problem. I'm betting it the loud noises it is knocking the needle for groove to groove. The major problem with that is that it damages the record when that happens

It could be slightly warped. Same thing happens with my double-10" of Rancid's Let's Go. My album's side-one-track-one "Nihilism" is warped in a particular way that the needle can't catch the groove well enough and constantly jumps in and out of the groove, causing the volume to jump up and down, but then after that track the rest of the record is perfectly fine.

Or if you wanna go with Cunt's theory that it's the way the vinyl was mastered and then subsequently cut at the pressing plant, that could be a possibility but only if the bass is the part that's too loud, not the overall volume. Does the record sound a bit heavy on the bass to you at all?

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Strummer said:

It could be slightly warped. Same thing happens with my double-10" of Rancid's Let's Go. My album's side-one-track-one "Nihilism" is warped in a particular way that the needle can't catch the groove well enough and constantly jumps in and out of the groove, causing the volume to jump up and down, but then after that track the rest of the record is perfectly fine.

Or if you wanna go with Cunt's theory that it's the way the vinyl was mastered and then subsequently cut at the pressing plant, that could be a possibility but only if the bass is the part that's too loud, not the overall volume. Does the record sound a bit heavy on the bass to you at all?

Hmm. Since my record is slightly warped, I wonder if that's the problem. Or, it could be as Cunt stated, since I have no weight control, could be that too. 

As for the bass. I wouldn't say heavy, but it definitely is bass-y. I don't have speakers to hook it up with yet. I don't know if that's why the bass sounds a bit bass-y, but maybe it's that problem as well. 

But, it does seem like this problem with the vinyl is affecting at least quite a few other people, although I don't know how many out of this thread are affected by it as well, which leads me to believe some records definitely were damaged/not pressed correctly and thus some fans are getting the defected ones  

I've honestly never had a problem with my turntable yet and I've had it for quite some time now. Rev Rad is the first record to act up. 

Mine also skips on Somewhere Now and Bang Bang - none of the others on side one. I haven't played side two yet. I have a pretty expensive audio-technica record player, and I've never had an issue with skipping before

Maybe it was a problem at the press, that affected a particular batch? It would suck if Warner wasn't overseeing the quality control. Go figure I actually had the vinyl in hand today, with my CD. But I decided to wait to buy it some other time instead. Now I wanna wait a bit longer to see if this is addressed, by Warner and the band. And hopefully there's a recall for that bad batch. Sorry guys. It sucks.

17 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Told you. That's what you get with shitty mastering.

Well ya know, I just played min (red vinyl) on my cheap crosley turntable with no counterweight adjustment, and it played perfectly well and sounded great.

13 minutes ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

Well ya know, I just played min (red vinyl) on my cheap crosley turntable with no counterweight adjustment, and it played perfectly well and sounded great.

Son of a bitch 

56 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Told you. That's what you get with shitty mastering.

the mastering's shittyness will only be apparent by listening to it. If it is skipping, it's a manufacturer problem.

I can't speak for this albums mastering yet but usually green day records ARE mastered for vinyl properly.

which brings me to an important question, any audiophiles checked out the mastering yet?

Mastering isn't usually a problem on vinyl because it's the original signal that was recorded. Completely uncompressed. No crap loudness added. Mastering is a problem on CD because you have to mix and compress it down to fit the CD. And this is where it's crucial. A good sound engineer will add just the right sheen of compression that it won't drown out the complete range of instruments. A bad sound engineer gives you American Idiot, and 21stCBD....on CD. :sick: Have you heard the vinyl or 24bit digital versions of said albums? Without any of the crappy mastering? They sound fantastic. Sorry little technical stuff there haha.

But yeah this sounds more like a manufacturing defect. Something went wrong at the press.

Mine had one small skip on Bang Bang (and a couple crackles and pops on Somewhere Now). Other than that it sounded good except a few songs sound like they start a bit too quiet but that may be intentional.

Mine skips on somewhere now too, I have 2 vinyl players and does this on both. It's the red vinyl too.

Archived