Are We The Waiting

pasalaska

This week's song of the week is Are We The Waiting, because a lot of people have been asking for it over the last two weeks. This thread is all about discussing your thoughts and feelings on Are We The Waiting.

Are We The Waiting is track five of Green Day's 2004 super-mega-fantastic, squillion-copies-sold rock opera, American Idiot. It follows Boulevard of Broken Dreams and segues into St Jimmy, and is a pivotal point in the story-line of the album. At this point in the story-line, it's Easter Sunday, and the Jesus of Suburbia is in the big city, under the "starry" night sky and the "city lights"; he's come to realise (after the 'events' of Boulevard of Broken Dreams) that the city isn't the place where he'd find himself, or realise his dreams – the "fairy tales in my mind". Instead he ends up questioning his purpose and himself; he's the "unknown", "lost and found" kid from Jingletown, just waiting for something to occur. It's at this point that he realises that "The Jesus of Suburbia is a lie". As Billie Joe said on VH1 Storytellers, "it's the point in the record where the character is on the verge of losing his mind". The reason why this song is marked as Easter Sunday in the American Idiot CD inlay then becomes apparent, as the song suddenly transitions into St Jimmy; Jesus is re-born.

This was probably my first favourite Green Day song, back when American Idiot was the only album I had, in fact, my username used to be The Waiting Unknown. I'm not sure exactly what I loved so much about the song back then, but listening to it now, I love the unusual (for Green Day) drumming, and how the drums don't change throughout the whole track. To me, they almost sound like a heart-beat, albeit a skipping, irregular one. It's a deceptively simple song, which seems to be more vocal-focused than the rest of the album; everything is relatively slow, and there are no highly complicated instrument parts, which allows for Billie's (or JOS's) voice to really soar above everything else. I especially love the backing vocals in the song; how there's layered, multiple voices screaming along with JOS, and how they sound sort of distant and lost, almost despairing.

We can't have this song as SOTW without mentioning it being played live, since it's been a staple in Green Day's live set since the American Idiot tour. For me, seeing it live will always be associated with the build-up of excitement I get leading up to St Jimmy. Since the 21CB tour, it's also the moment where one lucky female fan gets pulled on stage to sing and get serenaded by Billie, and more often than not get kissed as well. My favourite Are We The Waiting fan moment that I've seen is from Irvine, California. I've chosen that performance of the song as the video for this week, and you'll see why once you watch it. It was one of the funniest moments I've ever experienced at a Green Day concert.

Lyrics:

Starry nights city lights,

Coming down over me,

Skyscrapers and stargazers,

In my head

Are we we are, are we we are,

The waiting, unknown,

This dirty town was burning down in my dreams,

Lost and found city bound in my dreams

And screaming,

Are we we are, are we we are the waiting,

And screaming,

Are we we are, are we we are the waiting

Forget me nots and second thoughts,

Live in isolation,

Heads or tales and fairytales in my mind,

Are we we are, are we we are,

The waiting, unknown

The rage and love, the story of my life,

The Jesus of suburbia is a lie

And screaming

Are we we are, are we we are the waiting, unknown,

Are we we are, are we we are the waiting, unknown.

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

American Idiot was my first GD album too, and this was one of those songs I would always kind of labor through... I just found it so slow and blah. Now, thanks largely to how it is performed live (I think seeing the passion in BIAB really threw me over the edge), I am proud to say it is one of my favorites on the album.

Cheers for that post, Pasalaska! Great video too!

As I said in the honest lyrics thread, when I hear "The Jesus of Suburbia is a lie" I am blown away. I interpret it to mean that Billie Joe is ADMITTING that this conception of himself as the son of rage and love is false, or that something is messed up with his theorizing about. I wish I could talk to him just about that one line, because I really want to know what he meant by it.

Ahhh, awesome choice for SOTW!

This song will always be one of my top favorite Green Day songs. Like some of us, American Idiot was my first Green Day album. This song has stuck out to me since I first started listening to it. And I loved it even more after seeing BIAB the first time and seeing it live. Then when I got to experience it live for the first time, it made the song even better. It's like AWTW was built to be a part of the setlist. I can't imagine a Green Day show without it.

Back when I was first getting into Green Day, I first heard the album American Idiot. Green Day was the first rock band that I really got into, because I grew up around mainly country music :dry:. The first time I heard Are We the Waiting, it was the first time I discovered that rock bands could have these emotional, soul touching, ballad-like songs. I instantly fell in love with this song.

The lyrics that struck me most are The rage and love, the story of my life, The Jesus of suburbia is a lie because the first time I heard it, I was blown away. It gave me goosebumps. And then hearing that song in BIAB with the whole crowd singing was breathtaking.

Thank you Aska for a great song choice :wub:

My equal 1st Favorite song on American idiot, i love the lyrics especially "The Rage and Love story of my life, The Jesus of Suburbia is a lie" always amazes me listening to that line! The music is simple and slow which is different to most Green Day songs but i like that and it gives the song the right emotion to go with that part of the story and the lyrics. I love the live performances of the song, and to be honest i wasn't sure that after the American Idiot tour that it would feature much/as regularly in their sets, but I'm so glad it did :D

I actually don't really care for this song, except for the fact it leads into St. Jimmy. I've loved that video ever since I first saw it! :lol:

I definetely like this song better after seen it live. It's always a kind of magical moment. And there are so many parts in the lyrics which give me the chills!

I think the prelude to St. Jimmy couldn't be better! :happy:

When I was first getting into Green Day I heard St. Jimmy before Are We the Waiting and I liked it (St. Jimmy). And then when I heard Are We the Waiting I was in love. It's one of my favorite songs off of American Idiot.

starry nights, city lights coming down on me

heads or tails, fairy tales in my mind

probably everyones favorite lyric lol, it's mine too.

Actually, I prefer "Forget-me-nots, second thoughts, live in isolation" :P IDK, something about those words get me, even if they don't actually mean much when I'm listening.

Oh jeez. I'd squeal like a little school girl everytime I heard him say "And screaming!!"

Actually, I was a little school girl. I was 11. I just loved that part :wub:

Starry nights city lights

Coming down over me

Skyscrapers and stargazers

In my head

Those words were going through my mind when I went to New York to see American Idiot. My plane arrived later than planned so it was about 11pm or so and I was on a bus heading to a hotel. I was looking around at all the lights, Time Square, taking in the city and that melody just pops into my head, just out of nowhere. It fit so well with what I was feeling and seeing, and I was simply amazed. It was a few weeks later that I read in Nobody Likes You (correct me if I'm wrong) that Billie actually went to New York to get inspiration for the AI album. I don't know if I explained myself well but, yeah, AWTW holds a special place in my heart. :happy:

Finally Are We The Waiting! :happy: I like this song so much, I have a particular opinion about it, so to me it's different to the rest of the songs from American Idiot, like a magical moment on the record, it gives me an awesome chill! :runaround: My favorite part is when only Billie sings "Are we we are, are we we are the waiting unknown..." and after two other lines he screams "And SCREAMING!", and the rest is like the same answer again "Are we we are, are we we are the waiting".

"Rage and love, story of my life. The Jesus of Suburbia is a lie."

Arguably the best Green Day lyric ever. This song is incredible.

This song is one of my favorite songs ever. Actually, if I listen to the song closely, I start to cry! It took me awhile to realize why I cry, but I finally figured it out. I think it's because I sometimes have the feeling JOS has in the song, the feeling of not fitting in, and changing who you are to make yourself seem more comfortable. Anyway, I'm glad this is finally the SotW

i am so glad are we the waiting is the song of the week. The first time i heard this song on my cd was like: BAM something in that song touched me, all those thinfs touched me, and made it into one of my favourite songs! The lyrics, the vocals like being in the background, also having the feeling JOS has, and of course BIAB, when the whole crowd was singing, i got this feeling they were united, and that i was a part of it, everyone who felt that way could be a part of it. That for me is Are We The Waiting

For me, seeing it live will always be associated with the build-up of excitement I get leading up to St Jimmy. Since the 21CB tour, it’s also the moment where one lucky female fan gets pulled on stage to sing and get serenaded by Billie, and more often than not get kissed as well. My favourite Are We The Waiting fan moment that I’ve seen is from Irvine, California. I’ve chosen that performance of the song as the video for this week, and you’ll see why once you watch it. It was one of the funniest moments I’ve ever experienced at a Green Day concert.

Definitely agree! I remember when I saw them at the free show they played for New Years I took my friend with me and once this song started to end I couldn't stop telling her, "St. Jimmy's next! St. Jimmy's next!" I get so excited knowing shits gonna break loose. Thanks for posting this video-- totally forgot this happened at Irvine! Such a great moment that girl got to experience. It always makes me so happy seeing them so giddy with excitement. :)

Like a couple of you have mentioned I wasn't too fond of this song when I first listened to it... it was rather slow for me. However after experiencing it live and seeing how much passion is put into this track specifically makes it even more dear to me. I swear I always get so teary eyed and emotional when I hear them play this one live. God damn, I miss the boys so much. :cry:

Hm, I really like the studio version of that song and I love how it fades into St. Jimmy because it is such a contrast compared to Are We The Waiting.

For me, this song is like a small anthem on the record :)

Unfortunately, I don't like the live version just because it is too slow and kinda boring in a way =/

Oh,Are we the Waiting!

One of my favorite song on AI.Very emotional.I especially love BIAB version,and the way how Billie sing last 'and screaming' :wub: . Someday I'd like to go through live expirience of this song. :cry:

Oh my god that video hahahhahaha!

That song was just epic when I saw them live, everyone screaming those insanely powerful lyrics in unison. This song is beautiful. Everything about, just gorgeous. I remember when I was in New York City I was walking down the street with my family and I burst out singing this song, it just felt right. Then I saw american idiot that night and the song took on a whole new meaning. About Tunny feeling the need to go to war, and the song became even more hauntingly beautiful to me. I fucking love this song. :D

I never really appreciated this song until a few years ago

Its actually one of my favorites off of AI, maybe even in my top 10 Green Day songs

I agree with Aska, it always reminds me of the build up and excitement of St. Jimmy at shows and I get all :woot:

:lol: That video!!! This song is very chill to listen to. I especially like it live because it's that lovely little tune right before everyone just goes crazy in St. Jimmy! haha It's the best!

Archived