Warning

justcause

I like lots of things about this song. I like that it has a laid-back, sort of Everly Brothers sound, which makes it a cool, clear place of thought - big important thoughts about being conditioned. All of the 'warnings' come in shouty lettering, designed to make you recoil and retreat and stay behind the line - Warning delivers them in a drone that resonates the warning-signal sound, generalized-anxiety that reaches a pitch with something like 'may impair your ability to operate machinery', lol, the height of the aria of a kind of society.

Warning's about getting to the point where every action seems to require permission, and getting to that point unaware. Punch-line comes like a punch - 'question everything', or shut up and be a 'victim of authority'. Much of this culture is born of the need to feel protected from any risk, however small - like, 'someone shoulda TOLD me my coffee could be hot!!' - and the litigation that follows. There are ways in which society creates its own victimhood by surrendering personal responsibility - the choice to take a risk.

Warning is one of those particular Green Day songs - like She, for instance - that's useful. You can take it and apply it to your life, you can have it in your back pocket for when the need arises, in all the storms. It's a word to the wise.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this song so much! it's one of my favorite songs by Green Day also, I really love the Music Video :banana:

Thanks for getting this going Angeline, my bad for not posting one for a couple of weeks.

This song is pretty unique by Green Day standards, in that it's an acoustic song. As you mentioned, it has some meaningful messages in it, especially to "question everything" - a message that Green Day have carried through the era's since Warning.

Great video too.

Here's a video of Green Day soundchecking the song in Miami in 2009, for those who might not have seen it...

Thanks for getting this going Angeline, my bad for not posting one for a couple of weeks.

This song is pretty unique by Green Day standards, in that it's an acoustic song. As you mentioned, it has some meaningful messages in it, especially to "question everything" - a message that Green Day have carried through the era's since Warning.

Great video too.

Here's a video of Green Day soundchecking the song in Miami in 2009, for those who might not have seen it...

No problemmo!! :)

Love the soundcheck vid - I love soundcheck stuff in general.

I love everything about this song. It's quite unique compared to a lot of other GD's stuff with its percussive acoustic sound, yet it's undeniably Green Day.

The video's pretty good too - I still cringe every time the guy drinks the lumpy milk Dx

I'd love to see it live some day

Such a great song an video! It's definitely one of those songs that says do what you want to do and don't take anyones shit. I want a bumper sticker that says "Get your philosophy from a bumper sticker" :P

i love the meaning of this song more than the song it self (not saying it's not cool song) .

one of my favorite songs ever :wub:

first green day song I ever heard ...and the song that made me fall in love with them!

this song will always be so special to me :)

One of the first green day songs I heard, because warning was my guest album. I always love it. :wub:

This reminds me how I missed this show by 2 days...fml.

Thanks for bringing the video back. I haven't watched it in ages.

Such a great song an video! It's definitely one of those songs that says do what you want to do and don't take anyones shit. I want a bumper sticker that says "Get your philosophy from a bumper sticker" :P

This to both!

I would cover my entire car with those stickers :D Andres should definitely sell them on GDA considering how many other stickers he's selling already.

The song is one of my favorites from "Warning". It's got such a laid-back vibe and the whole songwriting is just perfect. I wish Green Day had more of these kind of songs.

And thanks for posting the videoclip. It reminds me that I need to watch International Supervideos again soon. It's been way too long.

I remember when I first heard this song on the radio... It's not one of my favorites, but it's great. :cool:

Oh boy, I love this song! It's probably the easiest GD song ever (on guitar A-D-E-D all the time) but I LOVE it! :wub:

This was probably the first song I knew the lines to after I had discovered their older albums (not AI or 21stCBD) and almost a year ago it was my favorite GD song.

And the video is my favorite video of them - I always laugh at the creepy old man who gives sweets to the guy ;)

I love this song. You've got two awesome mantra's in there, 'live without warning' and 'question everything'. And every line is celever and well thought out (but, then, who are we talking about here? Haha). Also yes, love the acoustic-ness (yes, I may have made up a word there).

Going on to the video. This was the first video I saw of Green Day's that wasn't from American Idiot. Again, amazing, a little gross and very smart. And, um, come on, who wouldn't want Green Day playing in their living room? Even if they are taking up most of the space! :lol:

One of my favourites, absolutely.

They do sell them on GDA! (Really cool, I have it on my wall. I don't have a car, alright... :rolleyes: )

perfect lyrics, perfect video. i also really love billie's voice in this song, it suits the entire mood brilliantly.

This is song has some of my favorite Green Day lines specifically, "Question everything or shut up and be a victim of authority."

Frankly, I hated this song for a long time. I used to listen to the album over and over and over again, and when the first song you hear is Warning, it begins to become annoying to you. After that, I didn't listen to this song for over a year, and then I heard it again...and it made me feel so rebellious. This song is like Minority's twin. The two go harmoniously together, symbiotically.

And Jimmy Neutron ripped it off. Jus saying.

As the title track of the album, Warning has a significant responsibility. It has to set the tone for the songs that follow, without giving away too many of their secrets. Luckily, it's well up to the task. Warning's lyrics are refreshingly clever, while the melody is a reminiscent medley of the boys' influences. I can particularly hear a strong Replacements homage, (Waitress in the Sky, anyone?) which is always a delight. Overall, this is an extremely well-penned song and one I would be honored to hear live.

This wouldn't be a good live song, but i love the album version.

I love that song, and Warning was the first album I got! :D

Me too!

This song is fantastic. I remember watching the video for the first time, I was probably 15 or 16, and I loved it. It was one of the first of Green Day's I saw and I loved that someone was doing the opposite of everything you should do. Simple take on it, but at that time it made me smile and it was part the appeal Green Day had on me. Someone talking (or singing) about the other side of society.

Really good song, the only downside is that it gets quite annoying when you listen to it too frequently. :P

I can't help thinking of Picture Book by The Kinks though when I listen to this song.

Me too!

This song is fantastic. I remember watching the video for the first time, I was probably 15 or 16, and I loved it. It was one of the first of Green Day's I saw and I loved that someone was doing the opposite of everything you should do. Simple take on it, but at that time it made me smile and it was part the appeal Green Day had on me. Someone talking (or singing) about the other side of society.

I completely understand what you're saying! feel the same way, this guys have entirely change my life and my way of seeing things. the first video I saw was When I come around and then I started to get into GD, found out about Dookie, but bought Warning first :)

I showed this song to a friend.. And she really liked it! She downloaded it and told me she dreamed she and I were on a truck singing it because the driver was drunk and we needed to y'know.. Stuff that makes sense when you are dreaming... I personally love this song, "question everything, or shut up and be a victim of authority" is one of my favourite Green Day lyrics, and I think is my favourite Green Day video!!! A friend (who is now into punk music, but still loves GD) told me he got Warning (the album) as his ninth birthday present and that's how he got into music, im going to give it to my little cousin when she's nine too.

They sell them here...i have one on my lapptop

With this song and the whole record they proved that they can sound more rootsy and still be GD.

Warning is the reason why I got seriously into Green Day, though I was listening to them since the Dookie era. Awesome record! :dance:

When I got into Green Day Warning was the last album I got, and I remember being amazed at just how different it was from all the others as soon as I heard this song. I love the acoustic sound, and the simple clear message of the lyrics warning you to not just go along with the rules for the sake of it, but to question everything. And it's so catchy it sounds like a classic song, when I first heard it I thought I'd heard it before although I never had.

LOVE the video so much! Sums up the song perfectly, cheekily poking fun at all the little rules. I love how inventive it is, I'm impressed by the sheer number of different rules they managed to cover :lol:. Hate watching him eat the raw chicken at the end!

Archived