1,000 Hours ... You Aska - You Getta

J'net

This week’s Song of the Week is 1,000 Hours. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

1,000 Hours was included on 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, which was first released by Lookout! Records. It was produced by Andy Ernst and Green Day and recorded at Art of Ears Studio, San Francisco. 1039/SOSH is a combination of the vinyl EPs Slappy and 1,000 Hours. First released in 1990, it was later re-released in January 2004 by Warner Brothers. It was then re-mastered and re-released on Reprise Records and Epitaph Europe in 2007. This album is the only entire Green Day album that features John Kiffmeyer (aka Al Sobrante) on drums. He later left the band and was replaced with Tre Cool. 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours has been certified Gold.

I’m really looking forward to reading the discussion about this song. I know some of you who think this is the “weakest” song Billie’s ever written, while others love it with all your hearts. So … don’t hold back! Tell us what you think. I'll tell you my thoughts later :).

This is the only video on youtube returned by a search for this song. If you have anything else to share, please do …

1,000 Hours Lyrics

Starlit night

The moon is shining bright

You are the one I need

Up at your window

I see a shadow

Silhouette of your grace

Here's this flower

I picked for all the hours

That you've spent with me

The one I love

That I've been dreaming of

Sailing across the sea

Let my hands flow through

Your hair. Moving closer

A kiss we'll share

Passionate love to be all night long

We'll never break, as one too strong

Nothing's more

Than what our love is for

As I kiss your cheek

Oh so softly

Hands flowing down my back

1,000 hours, I'll never leave

Our romance

Is a Love trance

And now we'll never part

1,000 hours

Of such a love shower

We'll never stop, once we start.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aska got her name in this, of course :lol:

I'm one of those who thinks this is a weaker song...hopefully this thread can change my mind. Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say about this one!

i thought this thread was about aska when i saw it in the new content feed. :lol:

I don't have much to say besides Oh my god! I love this song! :wub: This song melts my heart and makes me go "awwww..."

This song is not my favorite from Green Day, idk I just never got into it.

The lyrics are pretty good though.

I enjoy listening to this song! The lyrics may seem a little sketchy to say the least, but you can definitely see the emotion and I like that! :happy:

Aska got her name in this, of course :lol:

I'm one of those who thinks this is a weaker song...hopefully this thread can change my mind. Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say about this one!

I think this a weaker song too. =/

but there are weaker ones, when rest and rotting become SOTW... oh my god :whistle

Haha I thought this was like another podcast with Aska in it. :lol:

Although, Tre absolutely nailed Pasalacqua on the 21CB tour. Major props to him for that.

Tre nails everything on tour.

:shifty:

There's not one Green Day song that I think is bad or weak, so as you could have guessed my opinion is that this is is a really great song. I feel that 1,000 Hours expresses the hypnosis and urge that love can bring about, but at the same time does this with a tint of innocence. As always Billie's voice sounds great and the band sounds like they've been together forever even though it's from their first EP. I think my favorite line is "Up at your window, I see a shadow, silhouette of your grace."

I'm one who loves it. I relate it to all of the hours you spend with someone early on in a relationship, and how completely consumned you can become, when I hear this song.

I see aska.....

I love this song. Wish I heard it live...

I really like this song :happy: I sooooooo wish I could've gone to the Quebec City show to hear it live!

I love this song. It's so sweet. It's really fun to drive to ( I listen to it a lot on my way to school)

I would adore hearing an slowed down, layered, unplugged version of this song.

I have mixed feelings about this song.

Most of the time I love it cause it's kind of romantic and sweet.

But really, when the song comes on when I'm in my car, I usually skip it.

Not a bad song. Just have to be in the mood to listen to it.

Billie, what Green Day song embarrasses you the most, or do you loathe the most?

Billie: I would say the song, '1000 Hours' because not only was it not for a band to play or to play as a band, it's just the sappiest song about a girl to the point where it's like a bad John Hughes movie.

Well that's true :lol:, but that's exactly what I love about it :D. It's unashamedly sappy and I admire anyone who'd forget about trying to be cool and write such a sweet and honest song for a girl. The music isn't bad either.

Also I enjoy the thread title!

Billie, what Green Day song embarrasses you the most, or do you loathe the most?

Billlie: I would say the song, '1000 Hours' because not only was it not for a band to play or to play as a band, it's just the sappiest song about a girl to the point where it's like a bad John Hughes movie.

Well that's true :lol:, but that's exactly what I love about it :D. It's unashamedly sappy and I admire anyone who'd forget about trying to be cool and write such a sweet and honest song for a girl. The music isn't bad either.

Damn i'm out of reps!

It's funny how he didn't like it but still played it on tour.... :P

Like the song,

don't quite love it. Still find myself singing along, but it's just not a truly AWESOME song.

I love the sound of BJ's guitar in 1039 SOSH. So almostshitty sounding... :P

I'll admit I don't listen to this song much.... but I do like the way it starts out :happy:

ahhh. AHHHHH :dance:

first of all, HUGS FOR J'NET. :hug:

I don't even know where to start with this song, I have so much love for it. The reason I love it so much is because it's so, SO awful and cheesy. I mean, I can't even highlight a few lines of the song to display this, because the whole thing is cheesier than camembert on crackers, covered in cheez-whiz. It's brilliant in its awfulness.

My favourite part of the song, without any doubt, has to be Billie's skill at rhyming 'need' with 'grace'. Some lesser song writers would look at those two words and go 'never! It cannot be done!' and they're actually right, seeing as the words don't actually rhyme, yet Billie kinda makes it work, so props to him for that.

I got to see this live back on the 20th of August 2010 in Quebec City, Canada - the first time it had been played in 19 years (my lifetime :o ), according to setlist.fm. Sarah (who I was with) and I were the only two GDCers there, as far as I know. We'd lined up since the very early hours in the morning, and had been debating what song to request all day - we were trying to think of THE MOST ridiculous, unlikely song. About 20 minutes before we got let in, we finally decided to request this, so I scribbled it down on a bit of paper I had. Sarah and I decided that Billie would either tell us to fuck off, play a few chords then go onto another song, or just ignore us completely.

Billie started off the 'Blue' section of the show with Going To Pasalacqua (my favourite song), so I was already having a bit of a freak out. As soon as GTP finished, I held up the sign, and Billie looked down at it, and then looked away, and started playing this blur of chords that I just thought was him improvising. It took me till 'you're the one that I need' to actually realise that they were actually playing it. I flailed violently, then just kinda stood there a little awe-struck, while also trying not to laugh at the incredible cheesiness. I don't actually remember a whole lot of the actual song itself, more just my reaction to seeing it. I do remember singing along to the chorus though, and thinking at the time 'what were you thinking writing this, Billie?' I also remember that not a whole lot of people were singing along at all.

At the end of the song, Billie looked down at Sarah and I, and just gave us this cheeky 'you happy now?' smile. I was beyond happy. And that was only the beginning of the awesomeness that was the Quebec City show.

Such a bummer there's no video or audio of this. I'd love to re-live the moment, so I can actually listen to the song live with less of the freaking out to distract me.

RAR.

40621_425402719937_612239937_4600650_7017199_n.jpg

I think this song is brilliant. The crunchy chords at the beginning get the song off to a nice start. I don't think it can be denied that it's cheesy, but therein lies the charm. We all have our cheesy, romantic moments and 1000 Hours is an unabashed statement of that. it's actually a pretty gutsy song in my mind. I get the feeling of, "Yeah, I'm in love with this girl to the point of obsession. What you gonna do about it?"

This is the kind of song that a boy would play to his sleeping girlfriend after their first shared night together in an incredibly cheesy romantic film.

But hey, as I always say,

who doesn't like cheese?

But hey, as I always say,

who doesn't like cheese?

Cows probably don't.

They'd love this song, though. As do I. So cute and sweet and just the epitome of an awkward, 16 year old's first experience with romance.

Archived