Horseshoes & Handgrenades

J'net

This week’s Song of the Week is Horseshoes & Handgrenades. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Green Day's eighth studio album was recorded at Ocean Way Recording, Studio 880, Jel Studio, and Costa Mesa Studios. The album was produced by Butch Vig, marking the first time Rob Cavallo wasn't part of a major release Green Day album. The album was released May 15, 2009 and reached #1 on the USA Billboard. It also hit #1 in 15 other countries around the world. It has sold over 3.5 million copies since its release.

Apparently, this song wasn’t originally written for 21st Century Breakdown, and yet it fits perfectly. There is something about the way it starts out with a punch in the guts and doesn’t let up that sucks me in and forces me to love it.

I think the cleverest line is “Maybe you're the runner up but the first one to lose the race,” but I have to say my favorite is this one: “I'm a hater, a traitor in a pair of Chuck Taylors.” I loved the discussion on the forum when we first heard this song (before we had the official lyrics). People were trying to figure out this line, and it was hilarious to read back over it after we knew what they actually were. I remember someone talking about “I’ve got a pair of teenagers,” and I was just DYING laughing – and now I’m doing it again!

Here’s an audio from the Fox Theatre in Oakland (April 14th, 2009):

And here’s a short clip where the band is discussing this song:

EDIT: Hahaha - one of the reasons I chose this song was because of the anniversary of the first GDC Collab video, and then I forgot to include it! Too much brain-dead here :lol: ... so here it is:

Horseshoes & Handgrenades Lyrics

I'm not fucking around

I think I'm coming out

All the deceivers and cheaters

I've think we've got a bleeder right now

Want you to slap me around

Want you to knock me out

Well, you missed me kissed me

Now you better kick me down

Maybe you're the runner up

But the first one to lose the race

Almost only really counts in

Horseshoes and hand grenades

I'm gonna burn it all down

I'm gonna rip it out

Well, everything that you employ

Was meant for me to destroy

To the ground now

So don't you fuck me around

Because I'll shoot you down

I'm gonna drink, fight and fuck

And pushing my luck

All the time now

Maybe you're the runner up

But the first one to lose the race

Almost only really counts in

Horseshoes and hand grenades

Demolition, self-destruction

What to annihilate

The age-old contradiction

Demolition, self-destruction

What to annihilate

The old age

I'm not fucking around

I think I'm coming out

I'm a hater, a traitor

In a pair of Chuck Taylors

I'm not fucking around

G-L-O-R-I-A

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YES!!!! How could you not love this fucking awesome song! Also it's a great work out song, especially if you hate exercise :lol:

NEW SONG OF THE WEEK! YAAAAY!

This totally reminds me of the First Collab Video!!! :wub:

which you can find here:

*cough* *cough* I am the still *cough*

This was the first song on 21st Century Breakdown that I instantly loved. The lyrics, and the way Billie sings it just makes it really awesome.

I love this song! It's one of my favourites off 21st Century Breakdown. I love all the lyrics to it and... and... Yeah, I just love it :dance:

I really loved this song because it was hard punk...and it upped 21CB's fuck quotient.

I love the rawness of this song and the kinda snotty punk idea it gives...

I wish they'd play it live every once in a while...

This is one of my favorites from the album. I just love the lyrics and how powerful the music and Billie's lyrics sound. I absolutely love the guitar sound in this song (don't exactly know why, but I just do lol). My favorite line would also have to be "I'm a hater, a traitor in a pair of Chuck Taylors." Great song from a great album from the best band on the planet!!!

:D one Of the first songs I ever heard of theirs. It gave me a good impression of them. The first time I ever heard it, it was within listening distance of my mom and the first line caught both of us by surprise. She was offended and yelled "what did that just say?!" lol. But we listened to it together a few days later and she said "I didn't like Green Day back when they were starting to get popular. I thought they were just a bunch of no good, drug addict punks, but I'm glad you are getting into them because they have some good music." lol oh mother...

This is the one of the only songs on 21st Century breakdown that remind me of dookie. Too bad they almost never play it live.

I wonder what a clean radio version would sound like..

Love this song! Whenever I want to jump around, be angry and scream, this is my go to song. It's just a good motivation song, I suppose.

My favorite line is "I'm not fucking around." It just makes it known: this is what I want to do with my life and fuck off. Helps me keeping going.

Oh and yeah this song was used in the first collab video :banana:

I see people saying this song has a Dookie feel, it kind of does pertaining to the lyrics... not sure about style, instrumentally I mean. But it does have the loose vocal style Billie has always had. Nonetheless, I love it.

:woot: :woot: :woot:

Yes!!!! I love this song, this is my favourite song off 21st Century Breakdown! This song just makes you want to jump around. When i first listened to it, i didnt have the lyric booklet with me so when i didn't expect that first line.

I love how the tension builds up for the "I'm not fucking around" at the start.

Love this song so much.

I still don't understand why they didn't play this song more on the tour. It is an awesome song.

Ha, instead of VLG for the upcoming collab vid, sotw is Horseshoes and Handgrenades, used for the first GDC collab. Nice! (Which was made one year ago tomorrow.)

What to say about this song.. I love it! I think 21st Century Breakdown is simply brilliant, I remember listening to it for the first time on May 15, and it was just so much awesomeness.

You get the latest act, starting with Horseshoes and Handgrenades. Love it, so energetic, you can go crazy. And the lyrics are great too. I'm not sure if I have favorite lyrics, maybe "I'm a hater, a traitor in a pair of Chuck Taylors", and the "Maybe you're the runner up but the first one to lose the race" line is good too. Yeah, just another really great Green Day song, what else to say! It would be awesome to hear it live. :woot:

I will never forget driving to work in June 2009 having just returned from a holiday in the US - i had this song cranked up to the max and i was singing (very loudly) along with it as i pulled up next to my boss. There was that awful moment when i killed the engine and realised he'd heard me belting out "I'm not fucking around"...

As i got out the car he casually comments - "Ah, so you like Green Day too" .

A) i was gobsmacked, B) I've gotten along great with my boss ever since!

I love the rawness of this song - whenever i'm having a bad day i play along on drum and feel so much emotional release.

Horseshoes and Handgrenades is in my top three on 21CB.

Great song, great riff. Like people have said I dont understand why it wasn't played live more. Favorite line has to be

"I'm gonna drink fight and fuck and I'm pushing my luck all the time now"

That one line captures the aggression and the "I'm gonna do whatever I want, whenever i want, however I want and there is nothing anyone can do to stop me" athmosphere of the song.

Yes!! One of my favourite songs from 21CB! Its a great song to play on guitar. :wub:

I loved taking part in the collab video for it :P

Wish i could hear it live...

This is one of those classic, old school Green Day songs. I don't know which -- if any -- of the older albums it would have fit into, but it has that feel; it has that attitude, that certain fuck you-ity that's reminiscent of the boys' snotty salad days.

I love the lyrical tie-ins to the other Gloria-centric songs on the album. And I REALLY love the subtle references to Patti Smith and, probably more directly, the Clash at the end of the song as Billie sing-spells out her name.

Yeah, there's a lot of bias that goes into saying this is a Green Day song that stomps copious amounts of ass. But this is a Green Day song that stomps copious amounts of ass.

This was the ONLY song on 21stCB I liked, apart from EJN, kinda still is now.

Oh and yeah this song was used in the first collab video

Ha, instead of VLG for the upcoming collab vid, sotw is Horseshoes and Handgrenades, used for the first GDC collab. Nice! (Which was made one year ago tomorrow.)

Thanks for the reminders! I intended to put the Collab Video in the OP but just went through my usual routine instead. It's there now :).

Both characters of 21st Century Breakdown have their high points and low points.

For Gloria, I think iViva la Gloria! is her anthem, full of ambition and inpsiration, whilst Little Girl is a bit more defeatist and pessimistic, Gloria in trouble.

Christian's low point for me is Christian's Inferno, it may be what he thinks he wants but in actual fact its causing destruction to him and everyone/everything around him. Christians high point Horseshoes and Handgrenades I think. It shows him in pure defiance, having fun and being himself, completely unapologetically. If Christian was ever an admirable character it is in this song.

lol my dream came true !!! i was waiting all the time for this song to be SotW love it so much

Thanks for the reminders! I intended to put the Collab Video in the OP but just went through my usual routine instead. It's there now :).

Thanks for that J'net!! :)

Yay, now everybody will see my lovely face when reading the OP :P

Idk the first time I listened to the album all the way through, I did like the song, but it wasnt really one that blew my mind or something. Just when I heard it the 4th or 5th time, I got into it. I like all the anger in Billie's voice and the chorus is really cool as well.

Edit: Oh and for anyone who actually cares, I have this kind of reference to the song in my room. I don't even know why :lol:

6sdpc7.jpg

Think this would be a great song to open a gig!

Archived