Church on Sunday

J'net

This week's Song of the Week is Church on Sunday. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Green Day's sixth studio album, Warning, was recorded in March and April 2000 at Studio 880 in Oakland, California and released October 3, 2000. This was the first Green Day album since their signing with Reprise that Rob Cavallo did not produce (though he was still an executive producer for the album). This album marked a significant change in Green Day's sound, with the band deciding to include a wider variety of instruments and more acoustic guitars. Warning was listed at #4 on Billboard and has sold over 3 million copies worldwide since its release. (paraphrased from the Green Day Authority's Music page)

I have several reasons for choosing Church on Sunday for this week's discussion thread. It is one of my favorites, and I always look forward to having a song from Warning to discuss. Also, I am a day late posting, so it is Sunday today smile.gif.

But the reason this song is really on my mind is that I heard a new friend of mine will be getting married in New York this week. So, for Sergio Zurita Chávez and his beautiful fiancé, Leonora Cohen, I wish them the long and lovely kind of marriage that can only be achieved with compromise – with consideration for each other's feelings – with forgiveness when things aren't perfect – in short, with a lot of love and hard work. I know they already have the strength of love in their hearts that will enable them to do this, and I wish them every possible happiness that life can bring.

My favorite lyric in this song is, "I'm not getting any younger as long as you don't get any older." Of course, I always love the way Billie plays with words, and this particular line could justify a discussion thread on its own. However, I'm not going to monopolize the discussion any further, as I'm eager to hear your thoughts about this song. So here's a lovely video for your viewing pleasure.

This one is from Spain (in 2000) and is made further special by Jason White's appearance as the Invisible Man laugh.gif.

Church on Sunday Lyrics

Today is the first day of the rest of our lives

Tomorrow is too late to pretend everything's all right

I'm not getting any younger as long as you don't get any older

I'm not going to state that yesterday never was

Bloodshot deadbeat and lack of sleep

Making your mascara bleed

Tears down your face

Leaving traces of my mistakes

If I promise to go to church on Sunday

Will you go with me on Friday night?

If you live with me, I'll die for you

And this compromise

I hereby solemnly swear to tell the whole truth

And nothing but the truth is what I'll ever hear from you

"Trust" is a dirty word that comes only from such a liar

But "respect" is something I will earn... If you have faith

Tears down your face

If I promise to go to church on Sunday

Will you go with me on Friday night?

If you live with me, I'll die for you

And this compromise wub.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great song!I used to love that song back when I first heard it!It's lyrics are so true.As every single lyric in Warning of course.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :runaround::runaround::runaround:

this was one of the first songs i heard off Warning and loved it!!!!

I hereby solemnly swear to tell the whole truth

And nothing but the truth is what I'll ever hear from you

Tears down your face

^^ favourite part!! :wub:

this is an amazing song!

Tears down your face

^ this part makes me sad every time

I love this song :wub:

Ive noticed that songs with terrible names turn out to be really good :lol:

I also love how they change it up in the last chorus; best part of the song :happy:

I also love how they change it up in the last chorus; best part of the song :happy:

I ADORE that part! I wait for it every time I listen to this song, and it always makes me happy!

One of my favorite GD songs.I love this song,I know how to play it on the guitar,it's awesome.I want the guys to play this song more often in the future.

Love this song. :happy: Warning is my favorite album and I adore every song off of it, but this is one of my favorites for sure. :wub:

Thanks a bunch for picking this one J'Net. Easily my favourite song from Warning. I wish I could give a more insightful opinion into this, but its just such a refreshing song if that makes any sense. There's no doom and gloom about it, its not a hard song to listen to. Yet the lyrics are still brilliantly written and typical of the writing style that Billie used on Warning.

Love it :happy:

This was one of the first songs I absolutely fell in love with and my opinion never changed!

Adrienne is such a lucky woman that she got a song like this written about her.

:woot: My favorite song off Warning!

My favorite lines are "Trust" is a dirty word that comes only from such a liar / But "respect" is something I will earn... If you have faith without a doubt! I love how this song tells the "story" of someone who has hurt another, but feels sorry and wants forgiveness (at least that's how I see the song), even though that's something hard to get in some cases, and of course the compromise that this person shows. I guess the song is simply great :wub:

naw, look how fat Billie is in that video :wub:

to be honest, it's not one of my favourite songs - Warning is my least favourite album - but I still like it, and it's got some good lyrics.

got to hear this in Montreal during soundcheck, everyone was singing along, it was great. I would love to see it live someday, it is a shame they don't play it more often. I have a live version of it on my iPod and it's much better than the album version in my opinion.

Another interesting thing about this song is the similarity between the chorus to this and the chorus to the Static Age

When they played The Static Age live in Marlay Park, I was singing along and sang the chorus to Church on Sunday instead. The guy next to me just gave me such a wtf look :lol:

ahhhh I love this song soo much :wub:

Warning is my favorite album, so any song from it is one of my favorites!

favorite lyrics:

"I'm not getting any younger as long as you don’t get any older "

Another interesting thing about this song is the similarity between the chorus to this and the chorus to the Static Age

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzMXLcCu_18

When they played The Static Age live in Marlay Park, I was singing along and sang the chorus to Church on Sunday instead. The guy next to me just gave me such a wtf look :lol:

I've never noticed that, but I can see what you mean. Thanks for pointing this out :).

mind. blown.

:o

I've never noticed that, but I can see what you mean. Thanks for pointing this out :).

mind. blown.

:o

I thought more people knew this? Cool, glad I could provide some extra insight

BEST.LYRICS :wub:Respect is something I will earn...if you have faith... such an awesome song :happy:

Love this song, one of my favourites off warning :)

I really like the lyrics to this song too :wub:

I wish they would play it live more often though

My Mum pointed out the similarity between Static Age and Church On Sunday to me :lol:

I love this song, 2nd only to Castaway on this album for me.

I love at the very beginning when Billie goes "ooh ooooh" before he starts singing the song :lol:

The first line, "today is the first of the rest of our lives" is so inspiring and sums up the optimistic nature of the song.

this songs was one of the songs that really stood out from the warning album for me. its full of emotion, obviously. Church on sunday always gives me a strange mix of feelings. it makes me sad because Billie is practically begging Adrienne to stay with him, it brings me down to hear that they were struggling to stay together. but at the same time it makes me happy because the song makes a deal between him and his wife, holding them together.

my favorite lines are "If you live with me, I'll die for you, And this compromise". as J'net said i like how he plays with the words

Archived