Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?

J'net

This week's Song of the Week is Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

This song is the eleventh track on the Kerplunk! album, which was released January 7, 1992 (making it older than many of our readers).

I read the book, "Catcher in the Rye" years ago. I often think that I should read it again. I was so young when I read it that I'm not sure I fully appreciated all its nuances. Have you read it? If so, what thoughts did it provoke for you?

As usual, I'll share my favorite lyric (if I can decide which one it is). Okay, I'll go with … "He makes a plan to take a stand but always ends up sitting." What's yours?

As Jorge Ch�vez commented in the Green Day Authority's Song Meanings for this song (which you can find on this page), "If you read the book and then listen to this song, it's 100% sure that you will end up saying: 'This song is so true. Yeah, that is Holden.'"

Three videos this week – they're all just so good (if you love this song the way I do wub.gif).

The Old:

The New:

The Newer + Davey Havok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufSWmp1bbrI

Thank you. wub.gif

Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? Lyrics

A thought burst in my head

And I need to tell you

It's news that I forethought

Was it just a dream

That happened long ago?

I think I just forgot

Well it hasn't been the first time

And it sure does drive me mad

There's a boy who fogs his world and now he's getting lazy

There's no motivation and frustration makes him crazy

He makes a plan to take a stand but always ends up sitting

Someone help him up or he is gonna end up quitting

I shuffle though my mind

To see if I can find

The words I left behind

Was it just a dream

That happened long ago?

Oh well...

Nevermind.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I don't really know the reference because I never read the book the catcher in the rye

But I think it's a great song!

This is hands down the best pop-punk song. Lyrically, Musically. It's incredible live.

One of my all time favorite songs.

i love the version with Davey Havok

its so good

favorite lyrics "was it just a dream that happened long ago?"

I was required to read the book for my english class and back then i loved the book, and then i found that GD had a song about it. Made me love it even more. :wub: It really does describe Holden...to a tee im so happy that i got to see it live. Amazing :happy:

Fav. line : I shuffle though my mind to see if I can find the words I left behind

I'm really surprised this hasn't been a SotW yet. It's such a fantastic song and one of my all-time favorites. Never read the book though (but it's on my Xmas list!).

Screw the favorite line...I love this entire verse:

I shuffle though my mind

To see if I can find

The words I left behind

Was it just a dream

That happened long ago?

Oh well...

Nevermind.

Love this song! My boyfriend needed help with a project on Catcher in the Rye and he had to pick 5 songs that go with the book. We used two Green Day songs, BOBD and of couse Who Wrote Holden Caulfield. Needless to say, he got a 100%

This has always been probably one of my favorite Green Day songs. Just like Catcher in the Rye has always been one of my all time favorite book. :wub:

One of my favorite Green Day songs! I really want to read Catcher in the Rye now!

My favorite lines:

it's funny, I love love love this song to bits, but I cannot stand Catcher in the Rye. I only pushed myself to finish the book because of this song.

Seeing it with Davey Havok pretty much blew my Green Day/AFI loving mind.

I stood infront of Davey and Billie with wide eyes. I'll never forget that.

my favourite part is this:

I shuffle though my mind

To see if I can find

The words I left behind

Was it just a dream

That happened long ago?

Oh well...

Nevermind.

I love this version:

I love that it's got John on drums. You can really hear the difference Tre made to the band.

oh my god :wub: :wub:

This is a fabulous song, one of my all time favourites as well as whole Kerplunk.

The lyrics are great, I can't pick just one line :P

I shuffle though my mind

To see if I can find

The words I left behind

Was it just a dream

That happened long ago?

Oh well...

Nevermind.

I read Catcher in the Rye because of this song. I love it :wub:

Need to re-read the book though, I don't fully understand the relationship between the book and the song.

I read Catcher in the Rye because of this song. I love it :wub:

Need to re-read the book though, I don't fully understand the relationship between the book and the song.

The song is great, I never finished reading the book though and I didn't get that far into it.

Finally! This one is my second favourite Green Day song ever and I don't even know why. For some reason, I get goosebumps every single time I hear this opening chord together with the lyrics "A thought burst in my head and I need to tell you..."

Now, I would like to share my favourite Green Day video with you that's on YouTube. It's a live performance from New York City (Night 2) last year and although the quality sucks, it's amazing in my opinion.

I love how the woman in the background screams, Billie says "This song is my favourite song from Kerlunk by the way" and right after that the woman says "This is my second favourite Green Day song" and he starts playing it. Wow, I'm getting goosebumps once again, this video shows what music is about! I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0mEpEg66lw

FINK YEAH! :woot::wub:

I love Who Wrote Holden Caulfield! Great choice for the song of the week. It's such a great song, lyrically and musically. One of my all time favorite Green Day songs! It would be so awesome to hear it live..

I shuffle though my mind

To see if I can find

The words I left behind

Was it just a dream

That happened long ago?

Oh well...

Nevermind.

Those are my favorite lyrics for sure. And it's on Kerplunk, I love that album so much.

This song, omg :wub: It's one of my all time favorite GD songs!! The energy it delivers live is just mind-blowing. I love the GD/Davey version.

My favorite lyric is probably:

"He makes a plan to take a stand but always ends up sitting

Someone help him up or he is gonna end up quitting"

And "I shuffle trough my mind to see if I can find the words I left behind"

Oh I absolutely love this song :wub:

Kerplunk is one of my all time favourite albums, and the Catcher In the Rye is probably my favourite book.

This is probably my favourite line:

“He makes a plan to take a stand but always ends up sitting.”

When I saw this thread I thought that somebody really wanted to know who wrote Holden Caulfeild

But I really love this song !

I just looked "catcher in the rye" up on wikipedia to see if they mentioned this song and it says:

In fact, this book has actually lead to many inspirations for songs and other stories, such as: Who wrote Holden Caulfield?, an early song made by the rebellious band, Green Day.

"the rebellious band" :lol:

Archived