Pulling Teeth

J'net

We haven't had a song from Dookie in a while, so even though NO ONE wants it, this week's Song of the Week is Pulling Teeth. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Green Day's first album on a major label, Dookie, was produced by Rob Cavallo and Green Day. It was released on February 1, 1994. Dookie reached number 2 on the charts and has since gone platinum ten times. Pulling Teeth was included on the album but not released as a single.

Billie was inspired to write this song when Mike broke both his arms in a pillow fight (with his then wife). The story goes that Billie and Mike laughed all the way to the hospital. This is one of the many Green Day songs with really dark lyrics but a bouncy tune. In my opinion, this is one of the songs where this dichotomy is strongest and most apparent.

One particular lyric seems so poignant to me: "Looking out my window for someone that's passing by. No one knows I'm locked in here; all I do is cry." I think many people feel this way every day – that they're locked inside themselves and no one recognizes that or notices. They go through life pretending that everything's okay when it really isn't. You could say they have a bouncy tune, but if you listen to their lyrics, you'll find them quite dark.

Here's a video from this year's Mainz concert – acoustic encore. After all the shows I've seen and all the new "rarities" I heard live this year, I can't believe I still haven't experienced this particular song live. As an acoustic encore, I think this song sounds almost as sad as the lyrics. It has a less upbeat feel to me. What do you think?

Pulling Teeth Lyrics

I'm all busted up

Broken bones & nasty cuts

ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN

But this time I can't get up

She comes to check on me

MAKING sure I'm on my knees

After all she's the one who put me in this state

Is she ULTRA-VIOLENT?

Is she DISTURBED?

I better tell her that I LOVE her

Before she does it all over again

OH GOD, SHE'S KILLING ME!!!

For now I'll lie around

HELL, that's all I can really do

She takes good care of me

Just keep saying my LOVE is TRUE

Is she ULTRA-VIOLENT?

Is she DISTURBED?

I better tell her that I LOVE her

Before she does it all over again

OH GOD, SHE'S KILLING ME!!!

Looking out my window for

Someone that's passing by

No one knows I'm LOCKED in here

All I do is cry

For now I'll lie around

HELL, that's all I can really do

She takes good care of me

Just keep saying my LOVE is TRUE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This song always gets in my head when I'm listening to Dookie :lol: I think everyone feels the lyrics "No one knows I'm locked in here all I do is cry" at some point in their lives.

I actually really like this song. The first few times I listened to it, I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics and thought it was cute ("She takes good care of me / Just keep saying my love is true") but then one day, I was reading the lyric booklet along with it... :huh::lol:

how come some of the words in the lyrics are caps?

this song is fun I suppose. not one of my favorites perse, but the story behind it is amusing

How could no one want to discuss this song?! It's such a fun song. I love the back story.

Since it's one of the calmer tracks on the album, I guess it gets overlooked sometimes.

This was the song that I loved the most off of Dookie when I first bought it, it's still one of my favorites :wub:

Why would no one wanna talk about it? :o

I love this song, it's kinda sad, but kinda funny at the same time.

The first time I heard it I was like "Oh I really like this one" Then I didn't listen to it for a while, I'm not really sure why.

I've forgotten how much I love it :happy:

I don't have any special love for this song, but I can see what it'a about - dependency. It resonates with songs like Church on Sunday and Worry Rock in terms of the violent imagery - Pulling Teeth has actual violence, the others have emotional violence - all of them having a center of what someone will cede to be loved, to have someone stay with them. Pulling Teeth has that harmonious, wholesome sound of 'it's all ok', while the words are saying 'shit, do you see what's going on here?'

i love this song. yea the lyrics are dark but thats what makes it really good. to me its one of those songs that reminds me of how someone you love is hurting you and putting you in one of those sad states, even though they dont even know that they are making you sad, or even that you like them. beautiful song. and i love it even more because most people overlook it.

I love this song, music and lyrics - great driving song as well. It was one of the first songs from Dookie that I knew the lyrics to :D

Totally an awesome song! I used to play this song over and over back in the day cause I loved it so much.

I love this song but i didn't seem to like it at first, but it was a song that grew on me!

I am suprised no one would like/want this song....im not saying its the greatest song ever, im just saying i like it (like most Green day songs :lol: )

I've "rediscovered" this song recently, now it's really gown on me

I remember seeing this in Mainz - at first I couldnt work out what song it was, I mean, it's really one of those songs that fades a little into the background when I listen to Dooke, not because it's not great, but because it's surrounded by all these even better songs. It was just so, so unexpected. The group of us on barrrier just freaked out when we realised what Billie was playing.

I do wish I had seen it with the whole band, not just acoustic... but then again it's good different this way. As J'net said, it's less upbeat.

Archived