Road to Acceptance

J'net

This week's Song of the Week is Road to Acceptance. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Road to Acceptance was included on 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, which was released by Lookout! Records. It was produced by Andy Ernst and Green Day and recorded at Art of Ears Studio, San Francisco. It was first released in 1990 and later re-released in January 2004 by Warner Brothers. 1039/SOSH is a combination of the vinyl EPs Slappy and 1,000 Hours. This album is the only entire Green Day album that features John Kiffmeyer (aka Al Sobrante) on drums. He later left the band and was replaced with the incredible drummer we all know as Tre Cool. 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours has been certified Gold.

I love this song. I think its lyrics are its main appeal for me, but it has some moments that I really love from a musical perspective, too. My favorite lyric is "I take a look around at all the things I've found; I call it blind hatred. If you'd stop a while, and maybe if you'd smile, you would realize that we're all the same." I like to think of this song in terms of personal, individual acceptance as well as in terms of the band Green Day's acceptance (and not just acceptance by the mainstream music industry, but by their peers, by the people they started out with, by parents, by just about anyone).

As most of you know, Green Day delighted several fans, including yours truly, by playing this song in Costa Rica. I was in disbelief when I heard it start. I'm still not sure I didn't dream it.

I haven't found any videos from the Costa Rica show of the entire song, but here's one from 1993 that you might enjoy. And if anyone finds a video of this song from Costa Rica, please share.

Road to Acceptance Lyrics

I always waste my time just wondering

What the next man thinks of me

I'll never do exactly what I want

And I'll sculpt my life for your acceptance

I always waste my time just wondering

What the next man thinks of me

I'll never do exactly what I want

And I'll sculpt my life for your acceptance

Well I feel forgotten

Feel like rotting

(Do you feel the same?)

(Do you feel the same?)

Adolescence

Just can't make sense

(It's calling my name)

(It's calling my name)

I take a look around

And all the things I've found

I call it blind hatred

If you'd stop a while

And maybe if you'd smile

You would realize that

We're all the same

It's just like our brain

When it goes insane

We feel the same pain

All my life I've seemed to have this need

I think at times it even turns to greed

We all want to join some family

We'll even sacrifice a moral changing

And I feel forgotten

Feel like rotting

(Do you feel the same?)

(Do you feel the same?)

Adolescence

Just can't make sense

(It's calling my name)

(It's calling my name)

I take a look around

I call it blind hatred

If you'd stop a while

And maybe if you'd smile

You would realize that

We're all the same

It's just like our brain

When it apes insane

We feel the same pain

I take a look around

I call it blind hatred

If you'd stop a while

And maybe if you'd smile

You would realize that

We're all the same

It's just like our brain

When it apes insane

We feel the same pain

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like this song...I mean, the lyrics are relatable to everyone. That is one of the things I really admire about Green Day--the fact that they can make songs that are so easy to relate to. I really like this song musically and I also like the way Billie sings it...It's a really great song... :)

Oh i love this song so much!! :runaround: is one of my favorites from 1039 smoothed out slappy hours.

Oh, nice ! We have a new song of the week!

I like when GD do old songs in their show...and I like this one. :happy:

Oh wow, that is such a great choice for this week's song of the week! I love 39/Smooth, and Road to Acceptance is a great song. :happy:

It's appropriate to how I'm feeling at the moment actually.. Well anyway, great music, great lyrics. Easy to relate to.

I take a look around

I call it blind hatred

If you'd stop a while

And maybe if you'd smile

You would realize that

We're all the same

This is my favorite part of the song! Because I think its true!

I still cannot believe they played this song either! I couldn't believe what ears were listening! I was in so much awe that I didn't record any of the oldies! Haha just the songs that we all have videos for! Hahaha

I take a look around

I call it blind hatred

If you'd stop a while

And maybe if you'd smile

You would realize that

We're all the same

This is my favorite part of the song! Because I think its true!

I still cannot believe they played this song either! I couldn't believe what ears were listening! I was in so much awe that I didn't record any of the oldies! Haha just the songs that we all have videos for! Hahaha

Well, don't feel bad about not recording this, Karla. As much as I would LOVE to have a recording of it, I wouldn't have been willing to make one during the show - I was too busy enjoying the moment! And even if all I have left is my (admittedly faulty) memory, at least I have that :). And it's all gooooooood!

This is such a good song. I love it. :wub:

A recording of this still hasn't surfaced? I would love to hear it being played!

Well, don't feel bad about not recording this, Karla. As much as I would LOVE to have a recording of it, I wouldn't have been willing to make one during the show - I was too busy enjoying the moment! And even if all I have left is my (admittedly faulty) memory, at least I have that :). And it's all gooooooood!

exactly, I was to busy enjoying the show! I couldnt've said it better myself! ... the only reason I would like a video, is because I cannot believe they played some of those songs! but Im sure sooner or later they'll start to pop up on youtube! Just give it some time! ... even I havent posted mine :lol:

Such an amazing song... I recently wrote a paper about it for an English assignment! :)

Such an awesome song. Definitely one of my favorites from 1039SOSH. It was very easy to relate to back when I was in middle school, when everyone was trying to be accepted and doing whatever they could to be accepted. Billie is right, it's a waste of time.

Love the song. Rythm, guitar, the raw sound, but also the good quality sound when it comes to how the song is. Lyrics are great. I can relate to it alot. It doesn't matter about being accepted by society. Who cares if people like you? Im not gonna go around changing myself for other people. And that's why I love the lyrics.

Just listened to this song on the drive home :D Great song, also if you forget the first few lyrics it doesn't matter because they repeat them and you get a second shot at it :P

Road To Acceptance is one of the first songs that call my atention when I listed the disc for first time (when I was 15)

Is one of my favorite songs, mainly cause is different to the rest of the record.

This is one of the GD's first songs that have a common pattern with other songs, like 2000 lya, Scattered, Castaway and Paper Lanterns

This is one of my favourties from 1039/SOSH when i first bought that album its the one song that stood out for me. Love it :D

I used to hate this song but it grew on me with the time, especially because I listened to some live versions. Now I love it and it might be the most amazing fact ever they played it in Costa Rica for the first time after so many years.

Ah, Road to Acceptance :wub:

I hate it when I first listened to it, but after a few times it grew on me. My favorite 1039/SOSH song, definitly

yay i love this song! i love whole first album. it kicks my ass nicely. and this song has it's meaning. something i am following for ages now. cos everyone has had that single thought at least once in their lifetime, right? me too but i had given it up quickly cos it's useless. if people can't accept you the way you are - they're dumb. and if you try to change your lifestyle just to fit in - you're dumb too :lol:

Archived