Armatage Shanks

J'net

In honor of Insomniac's birthday, this week's Song of the Week is Armatage Shanks. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

The Green Day Authority posted an article yesterday to acknowledge the release of Insomniac 15 years ago. There's some great information there, so check it out!

I would like to know how closely Billie Joe identifies with these lyrics today. Of course, we all carry everything we've ever been or thought or felt inside us. I can close my eyes and put myself back into that horribly awkward mind-set of high school (which this song expresses so well). But I don't really feel that way most of the time – only when I do something incredibly stupid. I wonder how much Billie really feels these feelings in his daily life now, especially with so many recent successes. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this question.

I also love the story of how this song got its name, but I'll leave that for someone else to tell smile.gif.

Here's a video of three very young guys performing Armatage Shanks at the 1994 VMAs:

This one is from London at the O2 last year (a show many of us from this forum attended) and includes a very interesting transition from Burnout into Armatage Shanks at about 23 seconds into the video:

Armatage Shanks Lyrics

Stranded... lost inside myself

My own worst friend

My own closest enemy

Branded... Maladjusted

Never trusted anyone

Let alone myself

I must insist

On being a pessimist

I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind

Elected the rejected

I perfected the science of idiot

No meaning... no healing

Self loathing freak and introverted

Deviate

I must insist

On being a pessimist

Stranded...lost inside myself

My own worst friend

My own closest enemy

Elected the rejected

I perfected the science of the idiot

I must insist

On being a pessimist

I'm gettin' pissed

I'm a worthless pessimist

I'm a loner in a claustrophobic mind

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my own anthem! :lol: I really love this one!

I must insist on being a pessimist, I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind! just love it.

I absolutely love that song, definitely my favorite off Insomniac! I couldn't believe my ears and eyes when they played it in Mtl! :woot:

This is the best version I found from the show

This is such a great song. Perfect opener for Insomniac!

And I loved watching that video of them at the VMAs :)

I absolutely love that song, definitely my favorite off Insomniac! I couldn't believe my ears and eyes when they played it in Mtl! :woot:

This is the best version I found from the show

I was soooo happy they played it too! I screamed out of suprise and happiness (I had really been hoping that they would play it), and the girl next to me gave me a funny look :lol: Was amazing to hear & to sing along.Good times. It's my 2nd favorite off of Insomniac.

I was soooo happy they played it too! I screamed out of suprise and happiness (I had really been hoping that they would play it), and the girl next to me gave me a funny look :lol: Was amazing to hear & to sing along.Good times. It's my 2nd favorite off of Insomniac.

They started it and played a little snippet at Belfast last year. I was so stunned I couldn't even remember which song it was (though I knew all the words :)). That often happens to me with Green Day songs that have names totally unrelated to the lyrics! When they played it again at the O2 in London (video in OP), I was ready for it :).

Love this song. I'm not fully sure where it got it's name but I know Armatage Shanks is a company that makes toilets. Could be something to do with Keeping the toilet themed title going I suppose. Kerplunk to Dookie to Armatage shanks. I could be way off with this :ermm:

Omg me too! And it was totally unexpected! I never thought they would do it during the show, even though they played it at the soundcheck.

It was definitely one of my highlights from the show, seems like it was Billie's too :P

Love this song. I'm not fully sure where it got it's name but I know Armatage Shanks is a company that makes toilets. Could be something to do with Keeping the toilet themed title going I suppose. Kerplunk to Dookie to Armatage shanks. I could be way off with this :ermm:

The toilet theme makes perfect sense. :dance:

I love Armatage Shanks, it's not my favorite but is a song that I enjoy to play a lot!!!!!!

Whee! I love this song. Especially the opening..

*drums*

"Fuu!" (Or whatever it is...)

I remember I couldn't get the lyrics for a long time. Then one day- BAM. I was thinking "How did I not get it before?"

Great choice, J'net. :happy: Armatage Shanks is one of my favourite Green Day songs ever. :wub:

I often listen to it on my way to school, the song always puts a smile on my face, I don't even know why.

This is definitely my favourite part:

"No meaning... no healing

Self loathing freak and introverted

Deviate

I must insist

On being a pessimist

I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind"

:wub:

My own worst friend

My own closest enemy

I must insist

On being a pessimist

Story of my life right there. It's amazing how often Billie's lyrics can relate to my feelings.

I remember hearing the drum intro to this during the soundcheck at Montreal 2010, and then they played it in the concert, and I weed a little.

I love that drum intro so much

and it is a bathroom brand, we got stupidly excited when we went to the toilets near the Perth venue and found this:

11839_194670085847_667820847_3531900_7272429_n.jpg

we were taking photos of the sink and people were looking at us like we were rabid :lol:

I remember hearing the drum intro to this during the soundcheck at Montreal 2010, and then they played it in the concert, and I weed a little.

I love that drum intro so much

and it is a bathroom brand, we got stupidly excited when we went to the toilets near the Perth venue and found this:

11839_194670085847_667820847_3531900_7272429_n.jpg

we were taking photos of the sink and people were looking at us like we were rabid :lol:

Hahahaha thats awesome! lol

Ahh Insomniac is the best!!! This song is I relate this song to myself.Well actually most songs on Insomniac.

I love this song! One of the best songs to start off an album!

I also love the sink references :lol:

Thank You, Thank You, THANK YOU J'Net! I have been in love with this song (and the rest of Insomniac) for the last month, playing it non-stop. It is one of my favourite Green Day songs to play on the guitar, and the lyrics, wow. I just love this song.

Yup, I still get excited seeing a sink with Armitage Shanks written on it (even though, it's spelled differently) :lol:

I've really gotten attached to this song over the past while. The lyrics are so well written, and so easy to relate to. It's a feeling that a lot of us have felt at one stage...

Archived