St. Billie (ummmm) Jimmy!

J'net

9/28/2010 – St. Jimmy

In honor of Billie Joe's Broadway debut, this week's Song of the Week is St. Jimmy. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song, and don't wear it out!

American Idiot was released September 21, 2004, by Reprise Records. It was Green Day's first album to hit #1 on the charts and has since gone platinum three times. St. Jimmy wasn't released as a single, but it's certainly getting its share of attention now!

Without further ado, here's one video for your viewing pleasure. There are LOTS of videos of this song out there, so share your favorite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXHogw18nyE

St. Jimmy Lyrics

St. Jimmy's comin' down across the alleyway

Up on the boulevard like a zip gun on parade

Light of a silhouette

He's insubordinate

Coming at you on the count of 1,2,1,2,3,4!

My name is Jimmy and you better not wear it out

Suicide commando that your momma talked about

King of the forty thieves

And I'm here to represent

That needle in the vein of the establishment

I'm the patron saint of the denial

With an angel face and a taste for suicidal

Cigarettes and ramen and a little bag of dope

I am the son of a bitch and Edgar Allen Poe

Raised in the city under a halo of lights

The product of war and fear that we've been victimized

I'm the patron saint of the denial

With an angel face and a taste for suicidal

ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?

I'll give you something to cry about

ST. JIMMY!

My name is St. Jimmy I'm a son of a gun

I'm the one that's from the way outside

I'm a teenage assassin executing some fun

In the cult of the life of crime

I really hate to say it but I told you so

So shut your mouth before I shoot you down old boy

Welcome to the club and give me some blood

And the resident leader at the lost and found

It's comedy and tragedy

It's St. Jimmy

And that's my nameeeeeee...and don't wear it out!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AWESOME AS FUCK! :woot:

That's what I call a good song of the week choice. I love St. Billie, eh, St. Jimmy. I almost always listen to it together with Are we the Waiting though, cause it's nice to hear a kinda slow song, which leads into a fast song. Great to sing along. I love it live as well! Maybe even more.. And Billie did an awesome job singing it at yesterday's show of the AI musical. That man has such a beautiful voice.

I think it's that kind of a song that's definitely better live.

Gotta love Billie's dance and faces when he performs it :D

yay!

I love St. Jimmy. He was always my favourite character from American Idiot and I absolutely LOVE this song. It's so fast and fun and I just love the lyrics.

"I am the son of a bitch and Edgar Allan Poe!"

And omg I could go on and on about St Billie and his performance, but I won't. :thumbsup:

i knew this would be the song of the week. i wouldn't believe my eyes if it wasn't.

Good choice for song of the week, it's a nice tribute to St.Billie :D By the way, I like this song!

And for my favorite video, I like BIAB's one.

Aw, fuck yeah! :woot:

I embodied this song in my sophomore year of high school.

I remember when I first heard this song, I used to write St. Jimmy everywhere.

In the bathroom stall, in my notebook, on my bookbag, and even on the first day of sophomore year, I wrote it on my nametag and I got in trouble. Good times. :lol:

I even wrote it on my bedroom door like on the JOS video...

but I used red paint though. :P

An amazing live track, I love the persona Billie gets into when this song kicks in. He goes from being sweet, lovely and cuddling with fans onstage in Are We The Waiting to St Jimmy, which is almost the complete opposite.

"Raised in the city under a halo of lights", was always my favorite lyric in this song, I always get this image of a dodgy looking guy standing under a streetlight in my head when I hear it.

Aw, fuck yeah! :woot: I embodied this song in my sophomore year of high school.I remember when I first heard this song, I used to write St. Jimmy everywhere. I embodied In the bathroom stall, in my notebook, on my bookbag, and even on the first day of sophomore year, I wrote it on my nametag and I got in trouble. Good times. :lol: I even wrote it on my bedroom door like on the JOS video...but I used red paint though. :P

Dude, that's so badass! :cool:

I love this song; it's so full of energy and rebellion and when it's performed live, all that's amped up tenfold. Plus, I love the 5 minute stare at the end from Billie. (how can he stare for so long?!) I remember at my show, Bristow VA, he had this string of drool hanging from his mouth! :lol: Anyway, I like to think that Billie is St. Jimmy; he definitely embodies that onstage (both concert and broadway!) and channels that spirit and energy of this character.

I love this song. Especially live. This song performed live has so much energy and is so powerful... I don't even know how to describe it.

Love St.Jimmy. Makes you want to dance, y'know?

Oh, I do know. This is the only song that makes me dance... sometimes in a kind of embarassing way :D

Yay one of my favourites from American Idiot. I love how fast the song is and the lyrics are awesome!

I love watching the BIAB video and his dancing :D

Its got a brilliant live ending "...and that's my name!...and dont u FUCKING wear it out!" Just awesome!!

This song just makes me want to mosh with the best of them, rebel against everything, go crazy and act completely badass. :cool:

Obvious good pick for the week.

Odd watching a live video of St Jimmy with Billie on guitar :lol:

Has always been one of my favorites ever since I got into Green Day, I remember being 11 years old when got AI and I thought St Jimmy was the most hard core song in the world, and I thought I was the shit for liking it :rolleyes:

And its absolutely amazing live, Billie just totally owns the stage, you can really see the how much of a dynamic front man he is when he can turn from the oh so sweet heart serenading a lucky girl picked from the crowd in AWTW to the full on punk blast of St Jimmy. Pretty epic if you ask me. :cool:

Aw good choice :happy: I wouldn't say it's one of my favourites but I do like it, and it's pretty awesome live.

Very apt ;)

This song has never really related to me the way other songs do; purely because it's such an angsty, agressive story of turmoil which, thankfully, I have never had to identify with. Nonetheless I absolutely love it to bits, the lyrics are so real and thought provoking. Such beautiful language and wonderful metaphors.

Great choice ;)

Definitely one of my favourites from American Idiot, and when they play it live the crowd goes crazy! :runaround:

Sometimes when I'm in a bad mood or upset, I listen to this to cheer me up and I feel like the fucking Queen :cool: It's just one of those songs!

Hee hee St. Billie :D

I can't get enough of this song, it's just glorious from start to finish. Amazing live too, Billie clearly loves performing it and does it brilliantly. One of my all time favourites! And don't you FUCKING wear it out - love it :happy:

One of those songs that gets better every time they play it live, can't hear it now without picturing his crazy eyes XD got a strange craving to listen to it at the moment, wonder why.

I get so fidgety during this song :lol: Like I have to get up and run around and around like this: :runaround: when Im listening to it :P

Just watching that video has made me like that, they play it so fecking fast!!! :lol:

I deffo prefer Billie as a behind a guitar St. Jimmy though. Just saying. Watching the musical just didnt have that effect on me

:rolleyes:

I have heard this song thrice live :thumbsup: and figuring the lyrics out the first time was a total bitch

Something tells me it'll never, ever wear out.

Archived