Ha Ha You're Dead

J'net

This week's Song of the Week is Ha Ha You're Dead. If you're one of those folks who's angry with the mod team, you can pretend we've all been obliterated and you're singing this song over our dead bodies laugh.gif. (disclaimer: that is just a joke – not meant to hurt anyone's feelings or show disrespect toward anyone's opinions – just trying to lighten the mood a bit /disclaimer). Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Shenanigans was released July 2, 2002. It's a B-sides/covers album (containing only two covers), which reached number 27 on the charts. An interesting fact about this particular song is that it was written by Mike Dirnt. Somehow, Mike never seemed like the type to be filled with seething anger to me, but then what do I know?

I absolutely adore Shenanigans. There's something about it – even just the title – that hooks me every time. In this song, I love that "Hahaha" that happens randomly somewhere – I can never remember exactly where it is, but I can sense it coming. It makes me giggle every time. And then there's, "chewing on tinfoil." If you've never done it, you just wouldn't understand.

Again, no live performance video that I could find, so here's an audio file for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VYqnJVcQ7Q

Ha Ha You're Dead Lyrics

How do you get your sleep at night?

How did you get your noose so tight?

Like chewing on tinfoil, it's so much fun.

Gonna be dead before you're gone.

'Cause look how things have gotten.

And I'll be happy so I won't pretend.

And I'll be cheering that you're going down.

And I'll be laughing, I'll be laughing.

How many feelings can you steal?

Gotta be part of your appeal.

I can see through you 'cause you're wearing thin

Like chewing on tinfoil once again.

'Cause look how things have gotten.

And I'll be happy so I won't pretend.

And I'll be cheering that you're going down.

And I'll be laughing, I'll be laughing.

Ha ha you're dead,

And I'm so happy.

In loving memory

Of your demise.

When your ship is going down

I'll go out and paint the town.

Ha ha you're dead.

Ha ha you're dead.

Ha ha you're dead.

Ha ha you're dead.

The joke is over.

You were an asshole,

And now you're gone.

As your ship is going down

I'll stand by and watch you drown.

Ha ha you're dead.

You're gonna be dead.

Just remember what I said -

Ha ha you're dead.

Ha ha you're dead.

Ha ha you're dead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woo! I love this. It's so catchy!

Geez, it's stuck in my head now.

:lol:

'when your ship is going down, i'll go out and paint the town'

It really was written by Mike? :o I read it somewhere but then I kind of forgot and I thought Billie wrote it...

Anyway, I love listening to Shennanigans too but I have to be in the right mood for it :)

One of my favorite songs of all time. :happy:

It always makes me wonder when I hear it was written by Mike as he doesn't write that much stuff but it's so amazing. :)

When your ship is going down, I'll go out and paint the town.

^My favorite line of this song. :)

And thanks for the advise with the tinfoil. I'll try. xD

A live version would be so fucking amazing. :)

I love this song! Next to Desensitized it's my favourite song off Shenanigans!

The thing that gets me most I suppose is the fact that when you hear it first and are not too sure of the lyrics, it sounds like a fun, light hearted song. Considering most of the hate songs Billie has written (Platypus and Take Back come to mind) are fast, angry and easily distinguishable as hate songs, Ha Ha You're Dead's melody is easy and enjoyable! Yet the lyrics paint a very different picture. I love that contrast! :)

How appropriate! :lol:

Love this song, one of my favorites off Shenanigans.

"In loving memory of your demise"

Sweet ass line. Great song.

I love that line, too!

Aw, I love this song... it always gets in my head, but then people start telling me I'm mean :lol: I agree, how could someone like Mike right such an angry song?

And thanks for the advise with the tinfoil. I'll try. xD

A live version would be so fucking amazing. :)

Ummmm, just to be clear, I'm not advising you to try chewing tinfoil :lol:! Try it if you want to, I don't think it's dangerous or anything, but it's certainly not pleasant! I wouldn't want you to have a bad experience on my account :).

I love this song! I have been listening to Shenanigans alot likely, so it's great that this was chosen as Song of the Week!

To me, it doesn't necessarily mean "you're dead" in the literal sense...it can also be taken as "you're in trouble now". When somebody you are not too fond of (to put it nicely) gets in trouble, does something wrong, and is caught, you're kind of glad.

And yes, the song is just so catchy and upbeat, you have no idea what the lyrics are unless you pay attention. My mom was in the car with me the other day (English is her second language), and she told me what a happy song I had on. Then, I told her to listen carefully :lol:

Oh, and the "chewing on tinfoil" line is my absolute favorite! You can just imagine how annoying certain people can be when you use this comparison, ha!

Gah! I love this song :D

I don't know how I can listen to it and like it without feeling guilty. But c'mon, it's so...catchy. :lol:

Ummmm, just to be clear, I'm not advising you to try chewing tinfoil :lol:! Try it if you want to, I don't think it's dangerous or anything, but it's certainly not pleasant! I wouldn't want you to have a bad experience on my account :).

Y'know I'm bored! xD

Was a joke btw. xD

I love this song, one of my favoruites to play on guitar :) and I love that mike wrote it.

' I can see through you cause you're wearing thin" = favorite line from this song.

and perhaps this is Mike sometimes--breezy on the outside but ticked off in. The song kind of feels that way with the light happy music and dark lyrics.

love the dark humor of it.

Yay...one of my favourite songs from Shenanigans :) I remember,that Haha You're Dead was the first song,which I heard from Shenanigans and I absolutely fell in love with this song ,although I still wasn't so much obsessed with Green Day.

I absolutely love the catchy melody in this song. And the fact,that this song was written by Mike is a kinda surprise for me. I always had feeling,that Billie wrote this.

As your ship is going down

I'll stand by and watch you drown.

My favourite lines..:)

Y'know I'm bored! xD

Was a joke btw. xD

Yeah, I was joking, too ... as in the TV ads that say, "Do not try this in your own home!" :lol:

But if you're that bored, you might as well try it!

I wish they played this song live, I would love to hear it. :(

oh em gee, same here :(

i think it would be funny if "ha ha you're dead" was on billies gravestone. cuz in one interview he said "i dont want 'hope you had the time of your life' on my gravestone. :P

good song, btw :)

Good song, i like to play it when i'm particularly pissed off with the world :lol:

Love this song :)

It just reminds me of runescape though :ninja: way back in 05 my brother and I used to play runescape a lot and we had a bit of an obsession with this song so everytime we went on runescape we just had this on repeat.

Archived