Take Back

J'net

This week's Song of the Week is Take Back from the Nimrod album. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Nimrod was released by Reprise on October 14, 1997. It reached a peak position of number 10 on the charts and has gone platinum twice. Unfortunately, Take Back was not released as a single. I think it could have been quite popular as a Top 40 dance number laugh.gif. However, it was never given an opportunity to climb the charts.

I haven't been able to decide if Billie's trying to express some anger with these lyrics or … unsure.gif. Anyway, this is the one and only Green Day song I've heard so far where Billie's voice sounds almost unlike him (in the "Take Back" part). If I'd never heard this song before and someone played the chorus for me, I'm not sure I would recognize him. What an unearthly way to make the anger in the words really come to life! And I do mean unearthly. If I had to choose an adjective for how that voice sounds, I think it would be "demonic" … or maybe just "punk."

Here is a PERFECT video of a live performance of this song in 1998. Short and … sweet?

Take Back Lyrics

You pushed me once too far again

I'd like to break your fucking teeth

Stick a knife in the center of your back

You better grow some eyes in the back of your head

I fight dirty, just like your looks

Can't take, can't take, can't take anymore

Take back, take back, take

The taste of bad blood on the tip of my tongue

An eye for an eye

Gun for a gun

Cold-cocked and I'm taking back what's mine

Expect it when you're least expecting it

No loss of love, the smell of regret

Lights out can't take anymore

Take back, take back, take back, take back

Shit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know lots of people hate it but I really don't mind it.

It's one of those really good "angry" songs, in my opinion.

Mmmmm-mmm. I love this fucking song. So intense. :happy:

I really wish it had gotten more popular.

I really like Take Back, it's the second best 'angry' song after Platypus.

I love how on Nimrod there's Good Riddance totally at a polar opposite with this one :lol:

Oh, how I love this song. :happy: It's definitely one of my favorites from Nimrod.

A lot of people don't like it, but I think it's great :happy:

Not my favorite off of Nimrod, but still.

Platypus and Take Back always remind me of one another. I like both of them. Take back is just like a little burst of energy :happy:

Really good Green Day song just filled with pure angst. I love everything about this song.

That is angriness in person.

I agree. I find it so amazing that he can sing that song that way and then just stop and smile that big, beautiful smile :D.

TAKE BACK! :woot:

i remeber that i HATED this song :lol: i really hated it 'cause for me was so... HARD! and i that time (3 years ago) i didn't listen Metal or Punk (Punk Rock yes but no Punk) but now <3 i love sing the song, is so much anger and the guitar <3

I quite like this song...its different and got anger but overall great song :)

Woohoo, a song off Nimrod! My favorite album :wub:

I like this song, but the album has better ones.

Expect it when you're least expecting it

No loss of love, the smell of regret

Lights out can't take anymore

I like that part. Idk, it's great to sing along when you're angry or so.

I agree. I find it so amazing that he can sing that song that way and then just stop and smile that big, beautiful smile :D.

Good smile, good song.

This song just kicks ass.

Its embarrassing to see SO many Green Day fans say its their least favorite GD song.

weirdest Green Day song, just doesn't fit them lol

also in that video is sounds like he's saying "take bluuack"

I bloody love this song! I've been listening to the Warfield version on repeat lately.

I actually find songs like this humorous and they make me giggle more than they make me feel angry.

:)

I bloody love this song! I've been listening to the Warfield version on repeat lately.

I actually find songs like this humorous and they make me giggle more than they make me feel angry.

:)

Haha, yes! Warfield version is my favorite live version of the song. I love how he stopped right in the midst of it because they 'fucked up' and was like, "Hit harder!" :lol:

Anyway, such a angsty song. I'm rather fond of his voice in this song, it's a different side of him.

This isn't my favorite song off of Nimrod and to be honest it's difficult listening to it at times. I find myself often skipping that track. However it'd be neat to experience it live!

YES! im so happy this is SOTW :woot:

perfect angry song

i feel like to depicts how quickly Billie can express his feelings and how quick the band can play

When I first got into Green Day 5 years ago this song scared the shit out of me! Now It's one of my favorite songs.

you're angry? listen to this song

just as simple

Exactly! I love how it's just a short burst of raw anger and hatred! I listen to at at least once a day to get rid of all my anger and built up emotion.

I would love if Green Day did a few more songs like Take Back though!

I love this song sooooo much!

And I think it's funny how everyone looks at me like I'm a freak when I listen to it. :lol:

I like this song a lot when I'm in that sort of mood. It's definatley not for anyone feeling lighthearted.

I know a lot was going on in their lives during Nimrod and it wasn't the best of times, but I wonder what specifically fuelled the creation this song. I always think about that when I hear it. Was it really personal? or was it maybe meant to be from someone else's perspective?

Archived