J'net

"Hear these words straight from my lips:" This week's Song of the Week is Dry Ice. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Dry Ice was included on 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, which was released by Lookout! Records. It was produced by Andy Ernst and Green Day and recorded at Art of Ears Studio, San Francisco. It was first released in 1990 and later re-released in January 2004 by Warner Brothers. 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours is a combination of the vinyl EPs Slappy and 1,000 Hours. This album is the only entire album that features John Kiffmeyer (aka Al Sobrante) on drums. He later left the band and was replaced with the incredible drummer we all know as Tre Cool. 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours has been certified Gold.

I love this song. It's simple but evocative. "But my pen is writing wrong, so I'll say it in a song." smile.gif If I ever had the opportunity to ask Billie Joe a question about this song, I'm sure it would be … why the title, "Dry Ice?"

Okay – not the best quality video or best quality sound (or even the best quality vocals … there's one spot where … well, I'll let you listen for yourselves) … but it's a lovely video, nevertheless!

Dry Ice Lyrics

Late last night I had a dream

And she was in it again.

She and I were in the sky

Flying hand in hand.

I woke up in a cold sweat

Wishing she was by my side.

Praying that she'll dry these tears

Left on my face I've cried.

Oh I love her -

Keep dreaming of her.

Will I understand

If she wants to be my friend?

I'll send a letter to that girl

Asking her to be my own,

But my pen is writing wrong

So I'll say it in a song.

Oh I love you more right now -

More than I've ever loved before.

Hear these words straight from these lips -

I'll need you forever more.

Oh I love her -

Keep dreaming of her.

Will I understand

Oh I love her -

Keep dreaming of her.

Will I understand

Come ease the pain that's in my heart.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always loooved this song. :wub: It's definitely one of my favourites.

My favourite verse is:

"I'll send a letter to that girl

Asking her to be my own,

So I'll say it in a song. "

So adorable!

This was my personal song of the week already. :lol: It's just so cute.

This was my personal song of the week already. :lol: It's just so cute.

it is! It makes me think of a little teenage boy with such a school crush. So cute....

I'll need you forever more. :wub:

Green Day love songs are the best, I dont get tired of saying it!

this song has always been one of my personal favorites :D

I've always liked this song; it's such a simple little love song, and so catchy! I also wondered about the title J'net. Maybe 'cause whoever he's singing about is as cold as (dry) ice?

Totally unrelated, but every time I hear the first verse now, I think of the 'Extraordinary Girl' part of the musical. :)

Late last night I had a dream

And she was in it again.

She and I were in the sky

Flying hand in hand.

i love billie's cheesy lyrics :D cheesy but awesome... like pizza lolololol

sorry guys i'm really tired :lol:

I've never been a huge fan of this song. I'll give the lyrics credit and love because Billie wrote them and sings them so sweetly, but I'm pretty sure if I just read them on a page without knowing the author...I just might cringe.

Nonetheless, it's a cute song and fun to listen to teenage Billie's voice.

one of my favs!, 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours is one of my fav GD albums.

Took me a few listens to get into this one but I like it. Love thw 2nd verse in particular. Remember being 14-15 and thinking about stealing some of the lyrics to write in letters to girls! Haha. Before the days of texting, fb etc!

If I ever had the opportunity to ask Billie Joe a question about this song, I’m sure it would be … why the title, “Dry Ice?”

In the interview at the end of the 1989 KALX radio show, John says he named the song "Dry Ice" because he pictures lots of dry ice on the stage when the song is being played (something along those lines anyway). Not sure if this is actually true but its what he says.

I saw this was the song of the week and had to say it's defiantly my favorite old GD song. There is something so sweet and simple about it. And I have a connection with it, especially the "will I understand if she (he) want's to be my friend?" I've had that happen a lot in my life.

One of the best love songs Billie Joe wrote.

It's really a teenager thingy.

I love especialy this part:

"Oh I love her -

Keep dreaming of her.

Will I understand

If she wants to be my friend?"

I just felt like this after my boyfriend dumped me one and half year ago.. 'cause I couldn't live with his words: "It's better if we are friends.."

In the interview at the end of the 1989 KALX radio show, John says he named the song "Dry Ice" because he pictures lots of dry ice on the stage when the song is being played (something along those lines anyway). Not sure if this is actually true but its what he says.

I'm pretty sure it is true :)

God I love this song so much. Another amazing track from my favourite GD album :wub:

Oh I love her

Keep dreaming of her

Will I understand

If she wants to be my friend

This line nearly always applies to me :rolleyes:

Such a sweet song :wub: Love it.

Oh I love her -

Keep dreaming of her.

Will I understand

If she wants to be my friend? These lines apply to me too.. I think to a lot of people.

Makes sense. It captures the whole atmosphere of the song in just that one image.

Anyways... love the song, it's so sweet!

"I'll write a letter to that girl, asking her to be my own; but my pen is writing wrong, so I'll say it in a song".

Gotta love the rhyme in that line.

Absolutely amazing...I love everything about this song.

Looks like it's a biographical song.

Was it a real girl? Or it was just an inspiration? :happy:

Gahhh, LOVE this song. I remember the first time I heard it and just instantly fell in love with it.

"I'll send a letter to that girl

Asking her to be my own,

So I'll say it in a song.

Oh I love you more right now -

More than I've ever loved before.

I'll need you forever more."

:wub:

I don't really like this song. The lyrics are cute but it's just his voice that really annoys me.

I've never really warmed to 1.039. :/

I love this song. It's so cute, and definitely a teenage thing. Awesome solo, too. I've always liked the song. I think almost everyone can relate to it. They aren't the strongest of lyrics, but I really like them nonetheless.

Either this song or Blood, Sex and Booze was the first SOTW when I joined here, and I didn't know the song yet, but all the comments were very positive, so when I listened it I automatically liked it :lol: But I've always liked it since, so it's not a forced thing. It might have actually been the same video, even, I seem to recall a comment to the likes of 'you can barely see who's who, but as a fan you can still tell them apart', which definitely applies to this video xD

And in the tradition of SOTW, as usual I've found some lyrics I had wrong.

Archived