Having a Blast!

J'net

This week's Song of the Week is Having a Blast, as we've all been doing since Green Day finally released 21st CB and as many of us were doing in New York for the past couple of weeks. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Dookie was first released on February 1, 1994. This was Green Day's first album released by Reprise records. It was produced by Rob Cavallo and Green Day. Dookie reached a peak chart position of 2 and has gone platinum ten times.

This isn't one of my favorite songs, although I like singing along with it. I guess there's something about it that's too close to the reality we live in these days and makes me uncomfortable. I'm not saying all good music should make me feel comfortable – just that I have a hard time enjoying this one when I think too much about it.

And now here's a classic video from 1993 recorded at the Cricketers in Wigan.

Having a Blast Lyrics

I'm taking all you down with me.

Explosives duct taped to my spine -

Nothing's gonna change my mind.

I won't listen to anyone's last words.

There's nothing left for you to say -

Soon you'll be dead anyway.

No one is getting out alive.

This time I've really lost my mind, and I don't care.

So close your eyes,

And kiss yourself goodbye,

And think about the times

We've spent and what they've meant.

To me it's nothing.

To me it's nothing.

To me it's nothing.

To me it's nothing.

I'm losing all my happiness -

The happiness you pinned on me.

Loneliness still comforts me.

My anger DWELLS inside of me.

I'm taking it all out on you and all the shit you put me through.

No one is getting out alive.

This time I've really lost my mind, and I don't care.

So close your eyes,

And kiss yourself goodbye,

And think about the times

We've spent and what they've meant.

To me it's nothing.

To me it's nothing.

To me it's nothing.

To me it's nothing.

Do you ever think back to another time?

Did it bring you so down that you thought you lost your mind?

Do you ever want to lead a long trail of destruction

And mow down any BULLSHIT that confronts you?

Do you ever build up all the small things in your head

To make one problem that adds up to NOTHING.

To me it's nothing.

To me it's nothing.

To me it's nothing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My anger DWELLS inside of me.

I’m taking it all out on you and all the shit you put me through.

favorite part!

this songs just makes me wanna jump and break stuff when I listen to it, it has so much energy!

Ohhh, I like this song!

I haven't listened to it in forever though! I shall fix that! :)

i was just listening to this song driving home from school today...

its definitely one of my favorites on dookie, and i think its message can be taken in a variety of ways.

obviously, the literal meaning is uncomfortable and i would never advocate it

but its also just a song about someone feeling left out and unloved

the bridge is my favorite part

"do you ever think back to another time?..."

I absolutely love this song! For about a month solid around a year ago for some reason I became strangely obsessed with this song and just listened to it all the time.

Its great :)

One of the few songs that survived my Dookie after the earthquake D:

No one is getting out alive, this time I’ve really lost my mind, and I don’t care. So close your eyes and kiss yourself goodbye, and think about the times we’ve spent and what they’ve meant... To me it’s nothing. :wub:

I actually really, really love this song. It was my favorite Green Day song for a long time and is definitely still high on my list.

Makes me remember how much I love the sound and the energy of the Dookie songs. This song honestly expresses the kind of feelings that most people would keep smothered, because they're scarey and dark, but this song exposes them completely, every ounce of venom and spite and along with that, self-hatred. Ultimately, I think it's about feeling powerless.

One of the few songs that survived my Dookie after the earthquake D:

No one is getting out alive, this time I’ve really lost my mind, and I don’t care. So close your eyes and kiss yourself goodbye, and think about the times we’ve spent and what they’ve meant... To me it’s nothing. :wub:

^ i love that part of the song, too! this is definitely one of my favorite songs off dookie - i loveeeeeee it! <3

I love this song. It's very relatable. I mean, other than the whole blowing people up deal. But, y'know, the feeling behind that. :P

I love this song. It's very relatable. I mean, other than the whole blowing people up deal. But, y'know, the feeling behind that. :P

YAY! I've been waiting for this to be song of the week. It's so brilliant. I love the expression of anger and insanity in the lyrics.

LOVE IT. :wub:

Makes me remember how much I love the sound and the energy of the Dookie songs. This song honestly expresses the kind of feelings that most people would keep smothered, because they're scarey and dark, but this song exposes them completely, every ounce of venom and spite and along with that, self-hatred. Ultimately, I think it's about feeling powerless.

Me, too. Maybe that's why it makes me feel uncomfortable. Because that's one of those feelings I like to smother ...

OMG OMG OMG I AM SO GLAD, THIS IS MY FAVORITE GREEN DAY SONG. ASDOHIASDH;AD;AD;AD :wub:

FUCK YEAH

it's a good song. well, i haven't heard that song for a pretty long time!

This song is hard to describe..I'm not saying I don't like it, I really don't know how I feel about it.

i get chills every time i listen to this song.

its lyrics describe what everyone feels but are afraid to admit

i honestly wish they would play this live.

Archived