One of My Lies

J'net

Yeah, I said I'd have this done yesterday, but that was just ... you guessed it!

This week's Song of the Week is One of My Lies from the Kerplunk! album. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Kerplunk! was originally released in 1992 and has since gone platinum. It was re-released in January 2007 by Reprise Records.

Kerplunk! was my first Green Day album, so all the songs on it are dear to my heart. There's something about this one that especially pleases me though. Why does a song about lying make me smile every time? As with many of Billie's songs, the lyrics are contrasted with the incredibly upbeat instrumentation.

Gasp!!! Apparently youtube is down at the moment. I can't get it to load for me, anyway. So, I'll try to add a video of this song later. In the meantime, just close your eyes, sing the song to yourself, and picture Billie singing it. Don't forget the way he cocks his head to the side and puts up his hands when he says, "Why?"

One of My Lies Lyrics

When I was younger I thought the world circled around me,

But in time I realized I was wrong.

My immortal thoughts turned into just dreams of a dead future.

It was a tragic case of my reality.

Do you think you're indestructible

And no one can touch you?

Well I think you're disposable.

And it's time you knew the truth.

Cause it's just one of my lies!

Well it's just one of my lies!

And all I want to do is get real high.

Well it's just one of my lies.

Why does my life have to be so small,

Yet death is forever?

And does forever have a life to call its own?

Don't give me an answer cause you

Only know as much as I know -

Unless you've been there once;

Well I hardly think so.

Do you think you're indestructible

And no one can touch you?

Well I think you're disposable.

And it's time you knew the truth.

Cause it's just one of my lies!

Well it's just one of my lies!

And all I want to do is get real high.

Well it's just one of my lies.

I used to pray all night

Before I lay myself down

My mother said it was right

Her mother said it too...

Why?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh, how odd, J'net. YouTube is working for me. WTF is with the new layout of that site!? :dry:

Anyways, I do love this song, it's fantastic. One of my favorites from Kerplunk, for sure.

Here's a video of the song since you can't get on YouTube, J'net:

Huh, how odd, J'net. YouTube is working for me. WTF is with the new layout of that site!? :dry:

Anyways, I do love this song, it's fantastic. One of my favorites from Kerplunk, for sure.

I'll try it again - thanks! I kept trying it over and over and getting the same error message (Service Unavailable).

:woot:

This is my favourite Green Day song. :)

Words can't actually explain how much I love it, so I'm not even going to try.

I love this song, it's a very true song.

Although I never got what exactly 'my lies' are, unless there's a change of POV in the chorus. To me, it seems as if it's the world that lied to you about being indestructible etc. (so the POV in the chorus is the 'liar' (for lack of a better word) talking), but the rest of the song is from the point of view the person the liar speaks to in the chorus, or it seems like that to me. I hope that made any sense at all, my ability to make things clear isn't on its best at 2:30am :lol:

One of my lies :wub:

like i said, Kerplunk is my favorite Green Day album and i love every song.

the woodstock version is absolutly great :woot: and...i dont know, just hat, is great, the lyrics,the music, everything ^^

Good choice! It just fits the indescribable feeling I feel at the moment. So perfect.

great song on one of my favorite Green Day albums!! :wub:

I love this song, it's a very true song.

Although I never got what exactly 'my lies' are, unless there's a change of POV in the chorus. To me, it seems as if it's the world that lied to you about being indestructible etc. (so the POV in the chorus is the 'liar' (for lack of a better word) talking), but the rest of the song is from the point of view the person the liar speaks to in the chorus, or it seems like that to me. I hope that made any sense at all, my ability to make things clear isn't on its best at 2:30am :lol:

I think you made yourself very clear, and I think that's an interesting interpretation. I had never looked at it from that perspective before. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :).

I lie from time to time :ninja:

Awesome song <3

Favorite. Song. Ever.

nah, It's just that the song has awesome lyrics and beautiful music and I can mostly relate to it.

perfect song. :)

I have always loved Kerplunk and all the songs on it, this is in my top 5 of the album. :wub:

Well, it's just one of my lies...yeah, it's just one of my lies...And all I wanna do is get real high.

That perfectly describes the feeling I get when I get so overwhelmed by schoolwork. The essential "fuck it" response.

This is in my top 5 favorite songs, and I definitely think that it's the most underrated Green Day song.

I love the tempo of this song. It's so energetic and uplifting. I love how Billie questions death and the scariness of growing up and not knowing what's in store for us. I can relate completely. Plus he sounds so snotty and teenager-y that I just have to grin. :D

It's a fascinating "does God exist?" type of song, without being anti-religious (EJN is the same way, it's not anti-religious).

Archived