Coming Clean

J'net

Time for some Dookie!!!

This week's Song of the Week is Coming Clean. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Dookie was first released on February 1, 1994. This was Green Day's first album released by Reprise records. It was produced by Rob Cavallo and Green Day. Dookie reached a peak chart position of 2 and has gone platinum ten times.

My mouth fell open, my eyes opened as wide as saucers, and my excitement got totally out of bounds when Green Day launched into this song at Webster Hall. When Billie played it again in St. Louis (as part of the acoustic encore), I felt that nothing they could do would ever surprise me again (I was SO wrong, btw).

Here's a snippet of the Webster Hall performance:

And the incredibly beautiful acoustic performance from St. Louis:

There are quite a few videos out there, so please everyone share your favorites.

Coming Clean Lyrics

Seventeen and strung out on confusion

Trapped inside a roll of disillusion

I found out what it takes to be a man

Mom and Dad will never understand

Secrets collecting dust but never forget

SKELETONS come to LIFE in my closet

WHAT'S HAPPENING TO ME

Seventeen and COMING CLEAN for the first time

I finally figured out myself for the first time

WHAT'S HAPPENED TO ME

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG, i love this song :wub: Not everyone can go and say "I'm coming clean!!!" to the whole world in a song :wub:

Tomorrow morning, when I won't wake anybody, I'll watch the videos :B

EDIT: I should add that I actually draw the skeleton that goes with the song and I pasted on my wall. My mom was worried, because I even wrote the "SKELETONS COME TO LIFE IN MY CLOSET!" thing :lol: I had to explain her that it was just a song :rolleyes: (well, it was because it was just a song xd)

YES!!!!!!!! :banana:

Coming Clean is song of the week!!! :thumbsup:

This is my favorite Green Day song ever and it is the most played song in my iPod.

I love the fact that song is so raw and powerful but yet innocent at the same time.

At 17 I was very confused and I was going through this depressive stage

and and my parents could not understand what was happening to me.

When I turned 17, ths song was on repeat all day. Coming Clean was my theme song for 2007.

Even though the song is about bisexuality , "coming clean" about yourself and grappling with it...

it still related to me about my depression and my cutting and debating whether or not to tell my parents.

This is one of the songs that saved my life so...

I will always be forever grateful to this song.

So Green Day...I thank you.

Sorry for my emotional rant...I had to get that out.

thanks for listening...or reading.

I like this song a lot, though I recall writing the title on a binder or something in 8th grade and someone thinking I was into the Hilary Duff song. :dry:

This song is incredible!

Even though this song is about Billie's sexuality, I find I can really relate to this because tbh I'm probably one of the most confused I've ever been atm. I really don't know what to do. So this song really spells out my frustrations. :happy:

when billie started singing this song in LA @ the nokia theater i was so beyond amazed.

coming clean defines teenage-dom but it defines so much else that i can't even explain.

i know that practically EVERYONE says they're 17 and strung out on confusion

i think its true.

we're all 17 and we're all confused.

i don't give a fuck if your birth certificate says you were born in 1992 or 1962, in the land of make believe, you are 17.

and i am..forever.

^ I totally agree!... everyone is confused at 17, its a like a stage in everyones life,

It can be, just dealing with your parents, school, sexuality like bj, your goals in life, and just discovering who you really are!

this is a great song!, written from a great point of view! always one of my favorites :D

Great song. I just love the line "I found out what it takes to be a man," because it is just a good message. It takes balls to be honest with yourself, and it takes courage and character to do so. You don't have to appeal to social norms.

To me, Coming Clean is one of those songs that makes me extremely proud to be a hardcore Green Day fan. It's one of their simpler songs, yet it says so much. I think everyone knows exactly what Billie's talking about when he says "Mom and Dad will never understand". This song is about dealing with external and internal pressures and eventually coming clean. One of my personal anthems. :)

FUCK I LOVE THIS SONG

and me and Beth have matching 17 tattoos because of it. :)

Such an awesome song.

It would have been better if it was the next week's song of the week.

That's when i turn 17.

Oh well. :)

FUCK I LOVE THIS SONG

and me and Beth have matching 17 tattoos because of it. :)

superbestfriendsyo

This song means a lot to me. Not only because of what it's about, but it's also one of the songs that make me love Green Day even more. The fact that they're so bold and brave and put out this song makes me respect them so much. One of my fav songs.

this song is soo unbelaivable damn, i just can't resist it. it's absolutely amazing. and well, i also think there's a small part of me in this song. it's just above anything else. i really love this song :wub::wub:

Whilst this song has never been one of my favourites, I still love it, though its one that I kind of need to be in the mood for.

When Billie started to sing this in Melbourne, i seriously thought i was going to die, i couldnt believe that i was there and here is Billie Singing this song right infront of me.. :wub:

:mellow: I LOVE THIS SONG! my all life anthem :o lol

I remember sing this last year [when I was 17, duh] & feel so related; except the part of "I found out what it takes to be a men" of course :lol:

MY FAVOURITE SONG!

It means so much to me :)

Can't believe they played it in Melbourne :wub:

:lol: :lol: COMING CLEAN :wub: :wub:

a fucking awesome song :D and makes me laugh all the time :banana: and always joke with my friends for that song cuz this years is my 17th birthday :lol:

(but that song doesn't represents me at all)

I always thought it would be great to be 17 and listening to this song. Although i don't remember making a big deal of it when i was 17!

Great song though. Classic Green Day.

What wondeful timing :wub:

My friend dissed billie yesterday for being bi :mad:

but i looove this song, it gets stuck in my head everytime! :D

I doubt there is a teenager that couldn't relate to this song, at least to some extent

Especially to this line

What's happening to me

This song is just amazing. I can relate to it, not to the underlining bisexuality necessarily, but as a teenager. It's simple but genius. Always puts a smile on my face 'cause I love it so much. :wub:

Aw the acoustic is beautiful :happy:

And yeah I agree, this is one of those songs that pretty much everyone can relate to when they're young.

Archived